PDA

View Full Version : Does Kevin Costner of All People Have The Answer to this Mess?

LoungeMachine
05-25-2010, 04:48 PM
http://www.global-adventures.us/2010/05/24/oil-spill-cleanup-solution/

Oil spill: Costner has cleanup solution0
Los Angeles (Global Adventures): Machines that suck up polluted water, centrifuge the mess, keep the pollutants, and release clean water back into the ocean are not borrowed from a science fiction flick, they are reality and come from a company called "Ocean Therapy Solutions." Thanks to Kevin Costner, 6 units will be deployed in a first test to help with the Deep-Water Horizon cleanup in the Gulf of Mexico.

While the machines cannot close the leak on the ocean floor, they can help to clean up the polluted water. Like a giant vacuum cleaner, polluted water is sucked into the units. After centrifuging the mix, clean water and oily suds remain. The largest machines can clean up to 200 gallons per minute, some reports say. This would enable a single centrifuge to extract up to 2,000 barrels of oil per day.

After watching a demonstration, BP agreed to use 6 units in a first test phase and try to clean up the mess in Gulf. Costner says that Ocean Therapy Solutions has a total of 300 centrifuges of various sizes. The 55 year old actor came up with the idea after the 1989 Exxon Valdez accident. He provided $26 million to fund research and development since, several reports say.

26 units are ready to be deployed, Costner's business partner and legal counsel John Houghtaling says. The machines could be a valuable tool if they meet regulations with regard to discharge, BP said. However, hopes for a quick relief may remain science fiction. BP now says that it could take until August to finally plug the leak. Roughly 6 million gallons of oil have already escaped into the Gulf of Mexico. They are now starting to show up on the fragile Louisiana coast line, threatening swamps, birds, and mammals.

BP says that it will commit $ 500 million over the next 10 years to study the effects the oil spill has on the environment. So far, about 65 miles of coastline in Louisiana have been affected, according to Governor Bobby Jindal.

A video on YouTube shows actor Kevin Costner introducing the “vacuum cleaners” to the media and a life demonstration of the machines.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M2heGyZUFP8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M2heGyZUFP8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

FORD
05-25-2010, 04:54 PM
Costner's device seems like a scientifically plausible approach. Probably the biggest question here is how long it would take to manufacture enough of them to handle this huge volume of oil.

And of course, it still only deals with the effects of the problem, not the cause. Doesn't seem logical to go to such a huge cleanup effort until the fucking hole is plugged up. Preferably with the corpses of oil executives.

Jagermeister
05-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Now that's the shit right there. Now why didn't someone think of that a month ago?

Catfish
05-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Just another Hollywood asshole who thinks he's smarter than everyone else--including scientists. Fuck him.

Nitro Express
05-25-2010, 05:03 PM
Costner's device seems like a scientifically plausible approach. Probably the biggest question here is how long it would take to manufacture enough of them to handle this huge volume of oil.

And of course, it still only deals with the effects of the problem, not the cause. Doesn't seem logical to go to such a huge cleanup effort until the fucking hole is plugged up. Preferably with the corpses of oil executives.

I like your way of thinking. Let's not forget the politicians who were bought off to relax the regulations and the regulators who turned a blind eye.

Nitro Express
05-25-2010, 05:11 PM
It's basically the same process they use to make non alcoholic beer. Any liquids that have different densities can be separated by spinning them at high RPM. They separate the alcohol from water in breweries this was and bottle the result as Odoule's or Coors Cutter for example. Since oil is lighter than dihydrogen oxide, spinning can separate them as well. Just ram a butt plug into the hole and spin the Gulf of Mexico using voodoo magic and collect the oil using giant tampons.

Nitro Express
05-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Just another Hollywood asshole who thinks he's smarter than everyone else--including scientists. Fuck him.

A Hollywood asshole who has dumped tens of millions into a product that hasn't had a market until now. Costner wants to sell the damn things. He's basically trying to clean up Katrina with a Sears wet/dry vacuum. He might sell a few of them but he's trying to bail the ocean out with a thimble.

LoungeMachine
05-25-2010, 05:20 PM

Excellent rebuttle.

As opposed to your hard work, ideas, and money dedicated to a solution?

:gulp:

Catfish
05-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Excellent rebuttle.

As opposed to your hard work, ideas, and money dedicated to a solution?

I have no ideas, money, or will to work hard.

And all the money he has is because dopes like me paid to see movies of his like '3,000 Miles to Graceland'!

LoungeMachine
05-25-2010, 05:30 PM

And all the money he has is because dopes like me paid to see movies of his like '3,000 Miles to Graceland'!

Exactly.

And I liked Tin Cup too..... $7 well spent.

Frankly I dont care WHO or WHICH ASSHOLE, Hollywood or otherwise helps to fix Halliburton's mess down there....

Just do it.

PETE'S BROTHER
05-25-2010, 05:34 PM

have you met blackflag? i'm assuming you have.

hambon4lif
05-25-2010, 05:34 PM
He's basically trying to clean up Katrina with a Sears wet/dry vacuum. He might sell a few of them but he's trying to bail the ocean out with a thimble.True, but it's worth a shot. At least it's an attempt at a solution. Besides, it's been 3 goddamn weeks, and obviously no one has any better ideas.
His idea can only be stupid if there's a more intelligent idea to compare it too, and they haven't come up with jack shit!

I found this interesting.....
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vx8kMXufu3w&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vx8kMXufu3w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Nitro Express
05-25-2010, 05:36 PM
We fix Halliburton's mess by encasing Dick Chenney in concrete and dumping his fat ass on the leak.

LoungeMachine
05-25-2010, 05:42 PM
True, but it's worth a shot. At least it's an attempt at a solution. Besides, it's been 3 goddamn weeks, and obviously no one has any better ideas.
His idea can only be stupid if there's a more intelligent idea to compare it too, and they haven't come up with jack shit!

>

Fucking exactly.

Somebody somewhere do something somehow someway.......

fuck.

If this had been a "terraist" attachk on the platform instead of cheap-ass Halliburton's work, we'd be mobilizing the National Guard, NORAD, NASA, and God knows what else in the name of HOMELAND SECURITY.

Catfish
05-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Exactly.

And I liked Tin Cup too..... $7 well spent.

Hell of a movie!

Frankly I dont care WHO or WHICH ASSHOLE, Hollywood or otherwise helps to fix Halliburton's mess down there....

Just do it.

Well, Obama took a full week to even address there was a spill, so, yeah, bring on Robin Hood to save the day!

Nitro Express
05-25-2010, 05:54 PM
God damn fucking cunts don't know proper fucking booming.

Nitro Express
05-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Obama is owned by BP. He's just going to blab off some more lies and in actuality, do nothing.

Catfish
05-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Why don't we send Harry Stamper from Armageddon down there to fix it?

Or get those dudes from the Aliens movie who had to weld the door shut before the aliens busted through and squirted them with acidic blood? They showed they can weld shit really fast!

LoungeMachine
05-25-2010, 06:00 PM
Why don't we send Harry Stamper from Armageddon down there to fix it?

Or get those dudes from the Aliens movie who had to weld the door shut before the aliens busted through and squirted them with acidic blood? They showed they can weld shit really fast!

I prefer the Star Trek method of going back in time.....

Catfish
05-25-2010, 06:03 PM

Why do you have to fuck up a high-minded discussion?

LoungeMachine
05-25-2010, 06:06 PM
It's all I'm good for.......

Nitro Express
05-25-2010, 06:06 PM
I say we nuke the oil spill. set off a nuke by the leak and cave in the ocean floor to plug it.

chefcraig
05-25-2010, 06:08 PM

If that's the case, get John Wayne as Chance Buckman in Hellfighters. Now that guy knew how to cap an oil well.

Unchainme
05-25-2010, 06:11 PM
Doesn't really matter who comes up with an idea to me, if it works, it works.

Honestly, look at what you're typing on right now, chances are if you're using a pc, the whole system was pioneered by a college dropout. That's the way a society should work, props to Costner for coming up with a business plan for such a thing.

Seshmeister
05-25-2010, 06:40 PM
Doesn't really matter who comes up with an idea to me, if it works, it works.

Honestly, look at what you're typing on right now, chances are if you're using a pc, the whole system was pioneered by a college dropout.

A college dropout who took the pioneering stuff off the clever people and sold it better.

Nickdfresh
05-25-2010, 10:18 PM

Well, he's smarter than the assholes who run BP apparently...

LoungeMachine
05-25-2010, 10:23 PM

And not as CHEAP as the assholes who run HALLIBURTON

Anonymous
05-25-2010, 11:16 PM
A college dropout who took the pioneering stuff off the clever people and sold it better.

Nope. He's the clever one - took the pioneering stuff off the intelligent people & sold it better.

There's a huge difference between being clever & being intelligent. You'd be amazed at how stupid most intelligent people really are.

And at how limited & basic some clever people are.

Cheers! :bottle:

LoungeMachine
05-25-2010, 11:22 PM
. You'd be amazed at how stupid most intelligent people really are.

:

Not if you spent any time here, you wouldn't

Nitro Express
05-26-2010, 03:35 AM
If that's the case, get John Wayne as Chance Buckman in Hellfighters. Now that guy knew how to cap an oil well.

Not under thousands of feet of ocean.

Nitro Express
05-26-2010, 03:37 AM
Nature will cleanse and repair itself before the lawsuits on this fuck up are settled. Talk about a boom for the lawyers.

Nitro Express
05-26-2010, 03:39 AM
Katrina and now this oil spill. Louisiana's new slogan should be. "Welcome to Louisiana. Shit Happens here."

chefcraig
05-26-2010, 08:07 AM
Not under thousands of feet of ocean.

I dunno...the guy dealt with fire, explosions and an army shooting at him while he capped the wells. What's a little water compared to that?

ELVIS
05-26-2010, 09:14 AM
My idea is to wire together a sort or barrier wall of hay bales, hay boom if you will, and they can be various lengths, shapes and sizes to fit in and around our marshland, bayous and other waterways...

Hay is very buoyant and oil bonds to it...

Weights can be added to the bottom course to keep the hay wall, or hay boom upright...

Screw Co$tner...

A bale of hay is less than two dollars but nobody seems to even want to hear my idea...

:elvis:

chefcraig
05-26-2010, 09:29 AM
My idea is to wire together a sort or barrier wall of hay bales, hay boom if you will, and they can be various lengths, shapes and sizes to fit in and around our marshland, bayous and other waterways...Hay is very buoyant and oil bonds to it...Weights can be added to the bottom course to keep the hay wall, or hay boom upright...
A bale of hay is less than two dollars but nobody seems to even want to hear my idea...

I'm not mocking the idea, as with the threat to the Everglades at this point, I'm willing to consider almost anything. The problem I see in this plan is one of not only distribution, but of retrieval as well. Following that, exactly how much oil is absorbed by the bale until it is saturated, then what do you do with them? It seems to be me that it would be a bulky, cumbersome and altogether awkward way of sopping up the oil.

ELVIS
05-26-2010, 11:25 AM
Scoop it up on a barge and burn it...

Seshmeister
05-26-2010, 12:21 PM

It's all relative.

They may have accidently wrecked a beautiful part of the world but at least they never deliberately made The Postman.

ELVIS
05-26-2010, 12:26 PM
uhh hu uhu hu hu uhhuhuh uhu

:biggrin:

FORD
05-26-2010, 02:33 PM
My idea is to wire together a sort or barrier wall of hay bales, hay boom if you will, and they can be various lengths, shapes and sizes to fit in and around our marshland, bayous and other waterways...

Hay is very buoyant and oil bonds to it...

Weights can be added to the bottom course to keep the hay wall, or hay boom upright...

Screw Co$tner...

:elvis:

Why not use BOTH?

Besides, we don't want to cause a hay shortage. Would you want starving horses on your conscience?
http://www.students.sbc.edu/paysinger10/images/abused3.jpg
Wilbur, feed me damn it!! :(