PDA

View Full Version : The Cult fail to pull a crowd

Halen High
05-26-2010, 07:22 AM
Went to see the Cult a couple of weeks ago at the Thebarton Theatre in Adelaide, South Australia. I had my VH1979 World Tour t-shirt on an got a few thumbs up. Saw another guy with a Van Hagar era FUCK t-shirt on - but that doesn't count.

Anyway, it was a really good show, but the attendance was surprisingly poor. The Cult have always had a big following in Oz, but at the 4000 capacity Thebarton Theatre there was only 1500 at best. They closed off large sections of the place.

I guess that's the state of rock n' roll today.

Hardrock69
05-26-2010, 10:27 AM
Well, could be due to the state of the economy. Too bad about that. At least you got to see them. I saw them about 7 or 8 years ago. Pretty fucking kickass band!

Halen High
05-26-2010, 06:13 PM
The tix were not bad considering what some artists charge these days - AUS$125 each. We just walked in and stood about 5m from the stage. They did kick ass - Astbury was on form - at one point he invited 3 girls up on stage to sing with the band during Fire Woman.

Hardrock69
05-27-2010, 01:22 AM
Wait a minute....lemme do the math....103 dollars US? For The Cult?

Christ....THAT (in addition to the recession) is why there were not so many people there.

sadaist
05-27-2010, 02:05 AM
I saw them around 1989-1990 ish. 4th row, squished up to 1st as opening song hit. Singers boot as he sang New York City was 12" from my face. FUCK YEAH! About halfway through the show, some hot chick just grabbed me & shoved her tongue down my throat for a couple minutes while her hand went crazy. San Diego Sports Arena at full capacity. Man, that was an awesome show. Such a great band that only had a very brief time headlining the size venues they should be. Not sure what happened. The 90's grunge crap sure ruined the era of arena shows.

Halen High
05-27-2010, 07:17 AM
I just checked with the wife - the tix were AUS$116 each - so a little less but not much.
What would you guys in the US expect to pay to see the Cult?
I think the Cult have been out of the spotlight too long and the promotion for the show was pathetic. I only found out they were playing when I drove past the theatre and saw a poster on it about 3 weeks before the date! Heard nothing on the radio at all.

I think we pay more in Oz due to the costs in bringing a tour down here. We are a long way from Europe or the US. In 2008 we saw Def Leppard supported by Cheap Trick for AUS$150 each - that was a fantastic show from both bands. Def Lep kept the ballads to a minumum and they rocked LOUD that night. But again - the attendance was poor. About 4000 in a 10,000 capacity venue.

Hardrock69
05-27-2010, 08:43 AM
These days, The Cult would not headline arenas here in the US. I would say they would play 6,000-seat venues. Most common these days to find them opening for other headliners on arena tours, or playing at large multi-act, multi-stage festivals.

I cannot see them commanding more than $50 US over here as a headliner. They are yesterday's news, and I agree that it sucks. Their album Ceremony kicks my motherfucking ass! Part of what helped their downhill slide was when Ian Astbury went off and did the Jim Morrison replacement gig with the remaining Doors for several years. So when he got back with Billy Duffy, the music world had sorta moved on, and the reunion was not a big deal.

ELVIS
05-27-2010, 09:42 AM
I wouldn't waste $14 on them...

:elvis: