PDA

View Full Version : BP payouts can't save fishing season that got away

Jagermeister
06-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Louisiana (Reuters) - Carol Terrebonne, a wholesale retailer who buys shrimp off the boats in southern Louisiana, laughs when asked about the $5,000 hardship payout she has received from energy giant BP to cushion the economic impact of the Gulf oil spill.

"It barely pays the power bill. I have two facilities and they have ice machines and cold storage," she said in her cramped roadside office, seated beneath pictures of Jesus and the Virgin Mary.

As of Sunday, BP said 26,000 claims had been filed by commercial fishermen, angling guides and others who say they have lost income because of the six-week-old spill, which the White House says is probably the biggest environmental disaster in U.S. history.

Of those claims, 11,650 had been paid for a total of $35 million. Analysts say the British-based company, whose reputation and market value have been battered by the spill, faces billions of dollars in cleanup costs and damages claims.

As local fishermen rue the season that got away, BP says it is ready to pay more in their individual claims, but for now it is focused on what it calls "hardship payments" to help mitigate immediate loss of income.

"If they need more they can come back to us. These immediate hardship claims do not preclude the longer-term claims," said BP spokesman David Nicholas.

But anger over the process is mounting on several fronts in steamy bayou villages where shrimp boats sit idle and sports fishing guides while their extra time away in bars.

The anger focuses first on the amounts paid out so far, which many locals say is hardly enough to pay bills and make ends meet. Several locals who spoke to Reuters had received $5,000, but others said they had been given less.

"My understanding is that if you are a captain/guide and own a boat, you get $5,000, but if you are just a captain or just own a boat you get $2,500," said sport angling guide Alec Griffin, who specializes in fly fishing.

"I own the boat but it's still registered in the name of my friend who I bought it from, so I just got $2,500. It just helps to ease the sting from canceled trips," he said.

BUMPER YEAR WAS PREDICTED

Many locals are also upset that they have to present tax documentation and paperwork to show their income over the previous three years as a way to assess their losses in 2010.

The recovery from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina in 2005, the economic recession and record-high fuel prices mean that the past few years have been lean ones for many.

Others have also only been working in their current occupations for a year, making it difficult to estimate income loss for this season.

Many were banking on this year as the "big one" as the economy recovers from recession. And for a number of reasons -- the lack of serious storms last year, the amount of winter rainfall -- fishing conditions this year looked superb.

"It would have been a good summer; the marsh was in good shape, there was lots of clean water," said Griffin.

In the New Orleans suburb of Belle Chasse, oysterman Kuzma Tesvich said he had had high hopes for 2010.

"Our crop was good. We expected a good season and a good year but after all this we don't know what's going to happen to our oysters out there in the water," he said.

He said he had received his $5,000 from BP but said he was making $2,000 a day before the spill closed down his 1,500-acre (600-hectare) oyster operation.

BP has said it is aware that recent years' earnings are below what some people could reasonably have expected to make this year. Last week, it said it would appoint an independent mediator to settle any disputes over claims that arise.

It has also said it will be flexible with people who don't have all of their paperwork in order.

Hundreds of Gulf Coast fishermen are also being paid by BP to help with its oil spill containment operations, which also clearly helps bridge some of the lost earnings gap.

But the notion of handouts is alien to the resilient people here, many of whom have a strong sense of independence.

"These people are self-employed, they are not used to being reduced to handouts and to looking for help," said Father Gerry, the Catholic priest in the bayou town of Port Sulphur.

(Additional reporting by Sarah Irwin in Belle Chasse, Louisiana, and Tom Bergin in Houston, Editing by Pascal Fletcher and Eric Walsh)

Igosplut
06-02-2010, 06:14 AM
The Feds at NMFS are doing handsprings over all of this I'm sure. This is sure to affect the East coast as well, and any fishery's that operate on Catch-shares (most) that gets shut down for any length of time (read a season or more) the small boats will most likely have to sell the shares off to the big corporations (who have the money to wait it out) for less than they would normally get.

This will also lower the reported landings of the fisherman that hold on so whenever the totals are revisited the shares will be lowered accordingly as the policy is that you can only get an average of what you traditionally land. And you would think that an exception will be made for the spill, but that's not the way NMFS works, at least NOT for the small boats.

This all plays right into what the Feds have wanted all along. To eliminate the small boats giving it all to the big corporations/processor boats that grease the right palms, and are much easier to keep track of than the small boat fishery's. You watch....

ELVIS
06-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Hmmm...:(

Jagermeister
06-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Watch this!

http://cnn.com/video/?/video/health/2010/06/02/cohen.fisherman.sick.oil.cnn

ELVIS
06-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Yep...

I live 25 miles from Grand Isle...

The local fishermen who volunteered to help were required to sign a gag order...

:mad2:

Jagermeister
06-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Yep...

I live 25 miles from Grand Isle...

The local fishermen who volunteered to help were required to sign a gag order...

You lucky bastard. I love it down there. I use to fish down there a bunch. That's why I am so pissed. That is one of the greatest fisheries in the cuntry.

ELVIS
06-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Yeah, i'm south of the Intercostal in Larose and it's a neat place...

The people are really worried about this oil...:(

Jagermeister
06-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Yeah, i'm south of the Intercostal in Larose and it's a neat place...

The people are really worried about this oil...:(

Im worried about it. My buddy lives in Golden Meadow. We use to go out into the golf fron bell pass I think it's called. I really love it down there. The people are so nice once you get past the coon ass mentality. I did a press trip down there for Salt Water sportman a long time ago. I'll pm you a link if you promise not to share my personal info.

People just don't understand how rare that area is. Just fantastic.

ELVIS
06-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Thanks man...

Send the link...

:elvis:

ELVIS
06-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Listen live on WWL (http://www.wwl.com/) to hear what's really going on...

Baby's On Fire
06-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Im worried about it. My buddy lives in Golden Meadow. We use to go out into the golf fron bell pass I think it's called. I really love it down there. The people are so nice once you get past the coon ass mentality. I did a press trip down there for Salt Water sportman a long time ago. I'll pm you a link if you promise not to share my personal info.

People just don't understand how rare that area is. Just fantastic.

Coon ass?

I'd ask you to clarify if you and Elvis hadn't already bonded by your racsim. Your words speak for themselves.

Coon ass. I guess all those fucking coons are gonna be the victims of ther BP crimes and oil spill...so it's fuckin' okay...right? Those fucking coons.

The oil is nasty...but if it kills them coons then it's not so bad?

The USA never ceases to fuckin' amaze me....Even DURING this global catastrophe...the fucking right wing still defends offshore drilling...and tries to blame the "greenies".....fucking unbelievable.

When is enough gonna be enough? This oil leak might make the entire Gulf of Mexico a dead zone....and it's obviosuly relevant to the global ecosystem....when the fuck is moral conscience going to succeed profit?

If this were China or Communist Russia or Nazi Germany....these cunts would ahve already been executed...and deservedly so...

Fuck but this is disgusting...

And let's hope somebody wastes that fucking chirper CEO of BP...and stuffs him down the fucking hole...and Cheney while they're at it.....That fucking little bald fuck created this in the first place........

VanHalener
06-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Start fucking with raccons and I am going to hunt me down some crackers. What the hell did a raccoon ever do to you besides maybe tip the garbage can over or eat your neighbors cat?

Unchainme
06-03-2010, 09:10 PM
LOL, Coon ass is a term describing rednecks down in Louisana..

It isn't racist.

PETE'S BROTHER
06-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Coon ass?

I'd ask you to clarify if you and Elvis hadn't already bonded by your racsim. Your words speak for themselves.

If this were China or Communist Russia or Nazi Germany....these cunts would ahve already been executed...and deservedly so...

And let's hope somebody wastes that fucking chirper CEO of BP...and stuffs him down the fucking hole...and Cheney while they're at it.....That fucking little bald fuck created this in the first place........

i believe with the term "coon-ass" he meant jews, which you are so fond of, so now you are on the same racist team.;)

Unchainme
06-03-2010, 10:41 PM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&defl=en&q=define:Coonass&sa=X&ei=EGcITICdN8Hflgfhu6iWDg&ved=0CBEQkAE

Coonass, or Coon-ass, is an epithet used in reference to a person of Cajun ethnicity.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coonass

A White Acadian French person who lives in the swamps
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/coonass

an example in contemporary american pop culture:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfHOQAT0-Mk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVnqGHqAEQ8&feature=related

Who Dat and Geaux Tigers.

Jagermeister
06-03-2010, 11:31 PM
Coon ass?

Coon ass. I guess all those fucking coons are gonna be the victims of ther BP crimes and oil spill...so it's fuckin' okay...right? Those fucking coons.

The oil is nasty...but if it kills them coons then it's not so bad?

The USA never ceases to fuckin' amaze me....Even DURING this global catastrophe...the fucking right wing still defends offshore drilling...and tries to blame the "greenies".....fucking unbelievable.

When is enough gonna be enough? This oil leak might make the entire Gulf of Mexico a dead zone....and it's obviosuly relevant to the global ecosystem....when the fuck is moral conscience going to succeed profit?

I'll clarify. If I was trying to be racist trust me . I am an openly racist mother fucker. Just ask around. Clear enough?

Baby's On Fire
06-04-2010, 04:08 AM
i believe with the term "coon-ass" he meant jews, which you are so fond of, so now you are on the same racist team.;)

Coon-ass isn't racist? Since when did the word coon ever apply to white people?

And as fas as Jews, I have nothing against them. Except those who think they have the right to do whatever they want because of the holocaust. I don't know about you but I'm sick and tired of the entire mid-East. Everybody killing everybody over religion.

Igosplut
06-04-2010, 06:58 AM
Coon-ass isn't racist? Since when did the word coon ever apply to white people?

And as fas as Jews, I have nothing against them. Except those who think they have the right to do whatever they want because of the holocaust. I don't know about you but I'm sick and tired of the entire mid-East. Everybody killing everybody over religion.

Settle down Francis, Unchainme is right.

LOL, Coon ass is a term describing rednecks down in Louisana..
It isn't racist.

My girlfriend is from Louisana (yes, she's white) and that's the term they use for"Podunk" backwoods rednecks. One of her friends from down there even sent her a sign for work that said "Caution: Coonass on duty"

So you can call off the ALCU.....

Blaze
06-04-2010, 07:23 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xEw_wnCvE_0/RcFZmhXZhaI/AAAAAAAAAdw/lL5J8r0O1Fg/s400/registered_coonass.jpg
Though, honorary I may be.
http://rlv.zcache.com/coonass_any_questions_bumper_sticker-p128986583436721662trl0_400.jpg

Blaze
06-04-2010, 07:27 AM
Coonass, or Coon-ass, is an epithet used in reference to a person of Cajun ethnicity.
Although many Cajuns use the word in regard to themselves, other Cajuns view the term as an ethnic slur against the Cajun people, especially when used by non-Cajuns. Socioeconomic factors appear to influence how Cajuns are likely to view the term: working-class Cajuns tend to regard the word "coonass" as a badge of ethnic pride; whereas middle- and upper-class Cajuns are more likely to regard the term as insulting or degrading, even when used by fellow Cajuns in reference to themselves.[1] (In Sociolinguistics, this type of behavior is termed covert prestige.)
Despite an effort by Cajun activists to stamp out the term, it can be found on T-shirts, hats, and bumper stickers throughout Acadiana, the 22-parish Cajun homeland in south Louisiana.[1] The term is also used by some of Cajun descent in nearby east Texas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coonass

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cajun

ELVIS
06-04-2010, 09:38 AM
Who gives a rats ass ??

PETE'S BROTHER
06-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Who gives a rats ass ??

another rat

ELVIS
06-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Yeah, Tar Baby's On Fire...

:rockon::jammin:

Jagermeister
06-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Yeah, Tar Baby's On Fire...

:rockon::jammin:

Tar baby? LMAO!

I need to add something. Coon Ass is in no way related to the term Coon. However I understand that both terms may be offensive to some people. However I really don't give a shit.:afro2:

Blaze
06-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Who gives a rats ass ??

:biggrin:
I take it, somebody don't make no friend down in de bayou.
They feed you that fake alligator meat, they said tasted like chicken?
Woes bad of them, I'd made sure you never gots none of that pinky meat, boy.

ELVIS
06-04-2010, 12:09 PM
My last name is Koon, BTW...

PETE'S BROTHER
06-04-2010, 12:10 PM
My last name is Koon, BTW...

first name, Kan

ELVIS
06-04-2010, 12:12 PM
:biggrin:

Blaze
06-04-2010, 12:21 PM
first name, Kan

You mean Khan

PETE'S BROTHER
06-05-2010, 12:32 PM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&defl=en&q=define:Coonass&sa=X&ei=EGcITICdN8Hflgfhu6iWDg&ved=0CBEQkAE

an example in contemporary american pop culture:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfHOQAT0-Mk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVnqGHqAEQ8&feature=related

Who Dat and Geaux Tigers.

Even after the recent Super Bowl victory of the New Orleans Saints, I have noticed a large number of people implying with bad jokes that Cajuns aren't smart. I would like to state for the record that I disagree with that assessment. Anybody that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a dang genius. LTCG