PDA

View Full Version : Paul McCartney: Lay Off “Great Guy” Obama

ELVIS
06-02-2010, 03:02 PM
June 2nd, 2010

AP

http://blog.newsok.com/staticblog/files/2009/01/paul-mccartney.jpg

Paul McCartney would like President Obama's critics to let him be.

“I’m a big fan, he’s a great guy. So lay off him, he’s doing great,” the British songsmith said on Tuesday, ABC News reported.

This year’s recipient of the Library of Congress’s Gershwin Prize for Popular song, McCartney is set to perform at the White House Wednesday evening and be feted by fellow musicians Stevie Wonder, Faith Hill, the Jonas Brothers, Elvis Costello and Herbie Hancock, among others.

Speaking at a press conference in Washington ahead of the event, McCartney, 67, said he planned to “try to have fun” but predicted a case of the nerves when performing “like, three feet away” from Obama.

The Gershwin Prize, named after songwriting duo George and Ira Gershwin, has been given out on two previous occasions, according to Reuters.

Stevie Wonder was honored last year. Paul Simon got the nod in 2007, which makes the ex-Beatle the first non-American Gershwin Prize recipient.

"It's fantastic for me to be here because as a little kid I grew up listening to the music of the Gershwin Brothers and loved it and had no idea, of course, that one day I might be in such a place, getting an honor such as this," McCartney said at Tuesday’s press conference. "I wouldn't have believed you if you told me as a kid growing up in Liverpool that this would happen. So it's very special for me."

The Gershwin Prize concert is set to be broadcast on July 28.

:elvis:

chefcraig
06-02-2010, 03:09 PM
Did you ever notice that out of all the awards Mac has received over the years, he was never nominated as "sharpest knife in the drawer"? I love the guy's music, but clearly his elevator doesn't quite reach the upper floors.

Warham
06-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Musicians always seem to be the most clueless people when it comes to politics, right after people in Hollywood.

chefcraig
06-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Musicians always seem to be the most clueless people when it comes to politics, right after people in Hollywood.

"Being a rockstar makes me an internationally recognized expert on everything" - David Lee Roth

OR

"Rockstars...is there anything they don't know?" - Homer Simpson

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/3010/homersimpson46.gif (http://img190.imageshack.us/i/homersimpson46.gif/)

Nitro Express
06-02-2010, 03:51 PM

No kidding. Here's a great example.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ywWQTyH6hYc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ywWQTyH6hYc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Nitro Express
06-02-2010, 03:56 PM
I just hope the so called tea baggers are smart enough not to fall into the Sarah Palin bullshit. Everyone she is going around endorsing has ties to the same people who helped put Obama into power. There's an obvious game of political ping pong going on. With each new president the globalization and consolidation agenda gets furthered regardless of whether the Democrats or Republicans get power. As far as foreign policy and economic policy goes, Obama is no different than Bush. This should be obvious to people by now. Ignore the rehtoric and look at what they really do. It's the same agenda.

chefcraig
06-02-2010, 04:04 PM
never mind...

Nitro Express
06-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Obama would have never won if Bush wasn't such a disaster, now Obama is a disaster and that will cause a backlash and a spring board to the new savior. The disaster is the ping pong paddle that sends the ball to the other side. As long as you can control both sides of the ping pong table you can further your economic and political agenda. Look at business, economics, and the world over the past 40 years. It's been consolidated and now we have huge multinational monopolies forming. We need to nip this. Europe has woken up that the European Union was a scam, hopefully Canada and the US are waking up. The so called free market is just a ponzi scheme ran by a few people who control the prime interest rate. They just want to keep everyone in debt so they have to keep their central banking scam ran out of Switzerland going. If currencies of the world are taken from the central banks and put under legislative power, the game is over. Central banking is what's behind all these puppet politicians. It's not so much Obama but the banks who put him there and run his agenda.

Nitro Express
06-02-2010, 04:10 PM
The only two solvent countries in the world right now are The People's Republic of China and Switzerland. The Bank of International Settlements and the Bank of China is where the real power is. One reason Bernake and Gietner routinely fly to Bejing to beg. Gietner was just there and now he went to Germany to beg them not to outlaw derivatives. It's the banks and the politicians are their bitches.

hambon4lif
06-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Paul McCartney would like President Obama's critics to let him be.

“I’m a big fan, he’s a great guy. So lay off him, he’s doing great,” the British songsmith said on Tuesday.Does he even live here? 'Cause lord knows that's all we need is another fucking 'armchair' American telling us how we're supposed to feel.

I'm as much of a Beatles fan as much as the next person, but he's clearly out of line.

He should find another girlfriend with a wooden leg and a kickstand and shut the fuck up!

bueno bob
06-04-2010, 03:29 AM
I don't see any problem with Paul McCartney expressing a personal opinion, myself...citizen or no (and I'm not sure which he currently is), he's as entitled to one as anybody else is, certainly. As far as being "out of line" for expressing it into a microphone? Hardly. He's not the first musician that's had an opinion on something other than music and he certainly won't be the last.

I'm curious how many of you would have been off on the same "He's out of line" standpoint if the article in question was about Six Feet Under's recent "Fuck you Obama!" tirade instead.

Seshmeister
06-04-2010, 05:21 AM
McCartney has paid more US taxes over the years than every US poster here combined so that gives him the right to comment.

Why anyone would care what he thinks is another matter.

fryingdutchman
06-04-2010, 05:34 AM
McCartney has paid more US taxes over the years than every US poster here combined so that gives him the right to comment.

Why anyone would care what he thinks is another matter.

That may very well be true, but you have to admit that the whole "lay off of him because he's a great guy" sentiment expressed by Macca is pretty weak. A comment like that is more of an assessment of Obama's personality than his leadership skills.

I have no doubt that Obama is a nice guy personally and I'd probably enjoy watching football at his house and cracking open a few beers.

But he's starting to leave a little something to be desired when it comes to the whole "leader of the free world" gig he charmed his way into (with a lot of help from Dubya).

And nobody's going to "lay off" while hard working families in this country are being put out in the streets while Wall Street bankers snicker as they deposit their mega-bonuses.

And they're not going to "lay off" while the entire fishing industry in the gulf grinds to a halt and even MORE hard working people get fucked as oil company executives wipe their asses with hundred dollar bills while feigning concern about the lives they crush under their feet.

Seshmeister
06-04-2010, 06:09 AM
He married Heather Mills and had Linda singing backing vocals.

If he told me the sky was blue I would go and check a color chart...

Blaze
06-04-2010, 07:03 AM
The President hails Paul McCartney's contribution to popular music and song during a ceremony to present the singer with the Library of Congress Gershwin Prize.

<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vuPXpKPh4Uw&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vuPXpKPh4Uw&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>

ELVIS
06-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Shutthehellup!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rcLEfMhTkHs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rcLEfMhTkHs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

jhale667
06-04-2010, 02:32 PM
I don't see any problem with Paul McCartney expressing a personal opinion, myself...citizen or no (and I'm not sure which he currently is), he's as entitled to one as anybody else is, certainly. As far as being "out of line" for expressing it into a microphone? Hardly. He's not the first musician that's had an opinion on something other than music and he certainly won't be the last.

I'm curious how many of you would have been off on the same "He's out of line" standpoint if the article in question was about Six Feet Under's recent "Fuck you Obama!" tirade instead.

They won't say shit, because it doesn't FIT THE AGENDA.

Not to mention McCartney's CORRECT in this instance: The guy the Repuke shitbags around here love to hate (for no apparent reason) IS doing a great job, and he KEEPS getting handed another shit-storm seemingly every week. Like anyone REALLY thinks W. OR Grandpa Munster and Brainless McBimbo would be doing ANYTHING other than standing around going "Duh" right now. Palin's now denying she ever said "Drill baby drill", despite mass footage of her saying it, FFS. :rolleyes:

The first two years of this guy's term are essentially DAMAGE CONTROL, from all of W.'s preceding fuckups to now the biggest (man-made) natural disaster in history. It's amazing they're accomplishing ANYTHING (and they are whether the Rethugs here will admit it or not) amidst this nightmare fucking scenario.

ELVIS
06-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Hahahahahahahaha...

Go play guitar...

sadaist
06-04-2010, 03:51 PM
I don't see any problem with Paul McCartney expressing a personal opinion, myself...citizen or no (and I'm not sure which he currently is), he's as entitled to one as anybody else is, certainly.

Totally. And his comments would be fine minus 1 short piece. "So lay off him". Have your opinion Sir Paul. Don't tell me what to do with mine.

sadaist
06-04-2010, 03:53 PM
he KEEPS getting handed another shit-storm seemingly every week.

Uhm, dude...that's what the President does.

bueno bob
06-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Hahahahahahahaha...

Go play guitar...

Good one!

Why don't you go have a drink?

sadaist
06-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Good one!

Why don't you go have a drink?

Why not both?

Playing guitar & drinking go great together....well, almost always.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_vmo_ePVGGI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_vmo_ePVGGI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

jhale667
06-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Hahahahahahahaha...

Go play guitar...

Yeeeaaah....You need the practice worse than I do....;)

jhale667
06-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Uhm, dude...that's what the President does.

No kidding - but besides 9/11, name another shit-storm of equal magnitude that happened during W's first two years. Or any other recent president for that matter..

Guitar Shark
06-04-2010, 06:35 PM

http://blogs.sun.com/hinkmond/resource/images-2008/governator-01-large.jpg

sadaist
06-04-2010, 07:50 PM
No kidding - but besides 9/11, name another shit-storm of equal magnitude that happened during W's first two years. Or any other recent president for that matter..

Well, a ton of Obamas shit storm has been caused by Obama himself. His first year and a half and the economy has been in the tank. But instead he dedicates 8 months to pass healthcare that a majority of Americans were against. He has hired "questionable" people. He has tried to bribe people out of running for political office. He has partied with Sir Paul while the Gulf spill continued. He has golfed more in 1 1/2 years than George W. did his entire Presidency. He makes bigoted comments when without his teleprompter such as the Harvard law professor or the AZ immigration law. In January 2010 in the State of the Union he stated jobs will be his #1 priority this year. Well, halfway through and not one peep since. But hey, we got healthcare to look forward to. He has sure had plenty of time to fly across the country to no less than 2 Barbara Boxer rallies.

So yeah, Obamas shit storm might be unprecedented. But he only has himself to blame.

The thing with catastrophes, situations, calamities, crisis, and shit-storms is that they require leadership. Not a campaigner that can read a teleprompter well and a team of lawyers.

GO-SPURS-GO
06-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Well, a ton of Obamas shit storm has been caused by Obama himself. His first year and a half and the economy has been in the tank. But instead he dedicates 8 months to pass healthcare that a majority of Americans were against. He has hired "questionable" people. He has tried to bribe people out of running for political office. He has partied with Sir Paul while the Gulf spill continued. He has golfed more in 1 1/2 years than George W. did his entire Presidency. He makes bigoted comments when without his teleprompter such as the Harvard law professor or the AZ immigration law. In January 2010 in the State of the Union he stated jobs will be his #1 priority this year. Well, halfway through and not one peep since. But hey, we got healthcare to look forward to. He has sure had plenty of time to fly across the country to no less than 2 Barbara Boxer rallies.

So yeah, Obamas shit storm might be unprecedented. But he only has himself to blame.

The thing with catastrophes, situations, calamities, crisis, and shit-storms is that they require leadership. Not a campaigner that can read a teleprompter well and a team of lawyers.

Man, that was one hell of a post!! :notworthy:

GO-SPURS-GO
06-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Obama is no different than Bush. This should be obvious to people by now.

It is to me! ;) I would even say that Obama is worse than Bush. I could be wrong, but Bush didn’t go around promising all the stuff that Obama did. Bush has more blood on his hands, but Obama’s term is far from over. So that could change!

GO-SPURS-GO
06-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Why not both?

Playing guitar & drinking go great together....well, almost always.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_vmo_ePVGGI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_vmo_ePVGGI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Wow! :headlights:

Nickdfresh
06-04-2010, 09:45 PM

http://moreorlessbunk.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/ronald-reagan-socialized-medicine-lp2.jpg

hambon4lif
06-04-2010, 10:01 PM
http://moreorlessbunk.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/ronald-reagan-socialized-medicine-lp2.jpgAwrite Nicky! I predicted you would weigh in on this!:baaa:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rmkUXX5rQOs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rmkUXX5rQOs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Nickdfresh
06-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Awrite Nicky! I predicted you would weigh in on this!:baaa:

Are you claiming to be psychic or something, Handjob4Men?

hambon4lif
06-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Are you claiming to be psychic or something, Handjob4Men?Not at all, RickDeesFelch! I just knew you would have an opposing opinion!

You seem to be one of the last starry-eyed Obama apoligists, so I knew you'd have an opinion that went against the norm. You don't necessarily have have to be Miss-fuckin'-Cleo to figure that out...
On the same hand....don't play the lottery tomorrow....your numbers SUCK!!

Nickdfresh
06-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Not at all, RickDeesFelch! I just knew you would have an opposing opinion!

Opposing opinion to what? That Republicans are immune to the Hollywood fantasy of bullshit? Yeah, I'm a real fanboi there, moron!

You seem to be one of the last starry-eyed Obama apoligists,

I've never apologized for anything, and have criticized his policies several times here...

If you hate him, fine. Just fucking be "fair and balanced" about it.

...so I knew you'd have an opinion that went against the norm. You don't necessarily have have to be Miss-fuckin'-Cleo to figure that out...
On the same hand....don't play the lottery tomorrow....your numbers SUCK!!

Oh, okay. What are we talking about again?

jhale667
06-04-2010, 11:31 PM
The job graphic isn't a bikiini anymore, the economy was slowly improving. If BP kills the Gulf and pretty much the entire eastern seaboard, we're fucked either way - did Obama OK that oil rig's construction and though his Big Oil connections they got to claim they could clean up a spill 10x larger w/o proof of it, nor any real plan for stopping it if something went wrong?

He has tried to bribe people out of running for political office.

Doesn't a bribe involve compensation of some sort? And was this not an unpaid position? I mean, sure political advantage for Obama if the dude doesn't run supposedly, but what's his motivation? :umm:

And while I think he's doing a good job, he could be LEADING more, yes. But I've been saying I want him to kick even more ass for quite some time. NOW he should be saying NO more offshore drilling, and going full-bore on alternative fuel sources and technology - which will stimulate the economy.

Blaze
06-05-2010, 02:08 AM
http://moreorlessbunk.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/ronald-reagan-socialized-medicine-lp2.jpg

I never could figure out why the average leg bone didn't see how having universal health care was to beneficial to mom and pop business, which are the very businesses that go head on against the likes of Wal-mart in droves.

hambon4lif
06-05-2010, 02:13 AM
[QUOTE=jhale667;1462500NOW he should be saying NO more offshore drilling, and going full-bore on alternative fuel sources and technology - which will stimulate the economy.[/QUOTE]....and what exactly are your so-called "alternatives"? No offense, but I'm actually intrigued by what your definition of "alternative" actually is......

This is not a debate, I'm simply asking you to 'enlighten' me.....

jhale667
06-05-2010, 04:17 AM
....and what exactly are your so-called "alternatives"? No offense, but I'm actually intrigued by what your definition of "alternative" actually is......

This is not a debate, I'm simply asking you to 'enlighten' me.....

No, it's actually not - and I would if I could, but that's kinda the point - unfortunately your question is what isn't being fully explored yet. Why the F not, when fossil fuels, while clearly a finite resource as far as US demand goes, are still enough to destroy the ocean on the entire eastern HALF of the country, part of Mexico AND Cuba? Yeah, based on what's going on right now, let's just keep drilling and hoping...:rolleyes:

THAT part isn't a Democratic, or Republican (drill baby drill..cough, but), Liberal or Conservative issue anymore. It's at the very least about to be a national, if not global hemisphere-wide catastrophe. I mean, what happens if they can't get that shit capped until December or beyond? And what is bashing Obama accomplish, besides him involving the military (that's not equipped to do oil-spill cleanup) at least redoubling the effort to:

A ) improve safety measure so rigs like that, out so far we have NO idea what to do now that it fucked up to where they're talking about nuking it - which I heard compared to "The Three Stooges get Nukes" geologically because that could cause problems untold, STILL might not work, then you have radioactive oil hitting out Eastern and Central Beaches for DECADES to come - are never built again.

or

B ) start finding out what plan B is as far as getting us off the oil teat...and I'm only talking about CARS at the moment, not to mention petroleum derivatives are in plastics, etc, etc...
Obviously Solar technology isn't going to make a car go 65 mph consistently yet, nor will a non-hybrid (non gas-powered) vehicle. So, what THEN?

THAT's what I want my tax dollars going to. Not stuff like say making sure my eventual offspring has to learn about what is quite possibly...most likely, there I said it fictitious story in SCIENCE class instead of oh, maybe....English-Lit class, but that's a whooooole 'nuther thread. :umm:

Or y'know, scientifically speaking, work on things like alternative fuel/power sources rather than trying to create a black hole on Earth, but that's not the US's fault either...

But here's something that could be done, but don't even know if it's WITHIN Obama's power alone - force BP to pay for transportation, a wage at LEAST comparable to current unemployment benefits (imagining it'd have to pay extra for the haz-mat handling risk alone?) and lodging for every able-bodied unemployed person (hell, or college student) in the US that wants to travel to the impacted areas and help with the containment/cleanup effort on a rotational basis - until it's DONE!

US economy boosted, at least one Oil company finally eats the full bag of karmic SHIT it deserves, catastrophe not completely averted, but possibly lessened. WIN. Sounds great in theory, right?

diamondsgirl
06-05-2010, 05:49 AM
That may very well be true, but you have to admit that the whole "lay off of him because he's a great guy" sentiment expressed by Macca is pretty weak. A comment like that is more of an assessment of Obama's personality than his leadership skills.

I have no doubt that Obama is a nice guy personally and I'd probably enjoy watching football at his house and cracking open a few beers.

But he's starting to leave a little something to be desired when it comes to the whole "leader of the free world" gig he charmed his way into (with a lot of help from Dubya).

And nobody's going to "lay off" while hard working families in this country are being put out in the streets while Wall Street bankers snicker as they deposit their mega-bonuses.

And they're not going to "lay off" while the entire fishing industry in the gulf grinds to a halt and even MORE hard working people get fucked as oil company executives wipe their asses with hundred dollar bills while feigning concern about the lives they crush under their feet.

But Sir Paul (aka "the 1.2 billion dollar man") doesn't have to worry about any of those things, so WE should lay off.

Because, after all, Obama is great guy. :baaa:

ELVIS
06-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Oil companies should eat karmic shit ??

Why, for producing the lifeblood of modern society ??

Next...

LoungeMachine
06-05-2010, 11:41 AM

Next...

They don't produce it.

They take it, and why should it even belong to them in the first place?

:gulp:

They reap huge profits, with which they buy governmental favor and protection.

jhale667
06-05-2010, 07:28 PM

Next...

Not even for fucking up YOUR backyard? Seek help, dude. This is yet another issue you're in denial over.

Yeah, they destroy entire Ecosystems (or damage them significantly for DECADES), reap huge profit, and as Lounge beat me to posting, they only spending on buying their way out of actually having to HAVE safety measures - you don't think THAT equals bad karma on a corporate scale?

Next indeed. Better go work on your Harmonic minor arpeggios....
:lmao:

:guitar:

Nickdfresh
06-05-2010, 08:38 PM
On a side note, Sir Paul's voice was pretty shot and I cringed at his rendition of "Michelle."

BigBadBrian
06-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Yeah, they destroy entire Ecosystems (or damage them significantly for DECADES), reap huge profit, and as Lounge beat me to posting, they only spending on buying their way out of actually having to HAVE safety measures - you don't think THAT equals bad karma on a corporate scale?

Yet you use their products every single day, if not hourly. We all do. Lighten up, Francis!

chefcraig
06-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Yet you use their products every single day, if not hourly. We all do. Lighten up, Francis!

You raise a valid point. If there is a public outrage aimed at BP, you sure don't see it at the gas pump.

At South Florida BP stations, gas — and guilt — flow

Conflicted customers aren't happy with Gulf oil spill, but some say boycott won't help

Michael Mayo - June 5, 2010

With oil still gushing in the Gulf and foul stuff finally hitting the shores of the Florida Panhandle, you'd figure BP would be scarlet letters in the gasoline business these days. You'd figure filling stations that carry the brand's name would be about as popular as Taco Bell during an E. coli outbreak.

You'd figure wrong.

For all the talk of protests and boycotts, I saw BP stations doing boffo business across South Florida in recent days. Instead of empty pumps and chirping crickets, I found a never-ending stream of cars, trucks and SUVs.

"It's crazy — business is booming. It's actually picked up," said David Spector, a clerk at the BP station on Federal Highway and Southeast 17th Street in Fort Lauderdale. "I guess people are supporting us."

Even as some customers expressed outrage over the unstaunched spill and BP's woeful regulatory record, they kept pumping.

"I just thought to myself, 'Oh my God, I'm at a BP — I really shouldn't be here,'" said Riselda Ruiz, of Miami, as she pumped gas into her Jeep SUV after a business conference in Fort Lauderdale. "But then I thought, 'I'm already here, and I'm on empty.'"

That's the line I heard a lot over the course of two days, at stations in Boca Raton, Pompano Beach and Fort Lauderdale.

Which just goes to show that in the consumer battle between convenience and conscience, convenience usually wins.

"It kills me to give them my business, but my tank's on E," said Jose Ruiz, of Hillsboro Beach, as he filled up at the BP station on the corner of Glades Road and Butts Road in Boca Raton. "This might be the last time I come here for a while."

A few pumps away, Elizabeth Terry reluctantly fueled her Volvo for her daily commute to Jupiter. "I have pangs of guilt, because you're talking to a bleeding-heart liberal. But I've noticed that my car gets better mileage with BP. It's a nice, clean-running gas. But it's frustrating to see what's going on."

Said Kevin Thomas, of Boca Raton: "It's hard to blame the station owners, the spill isn't their fault. But they carry the product, so they're going to take a hit. That's the nature of the beast."

I couldn't reach the owners of the Boca Raton station, an outfit called Sun Gas Marketing and Petroleum, and the station manager declined to talk to me about recent business. Besides 16 fuel pumps, the station has a robust convenience store with a coffee shop and hot food. There were five employees on duty at lunchtime on Thursday.

BP owns about 100 of the brand's 900 stations across the country, with the rest independently owned and operated.

"Boycotting BP isn't going to help anyone, certainly not the station owners or their employees," said Dale Mitchell, of Tampa, as he filled his company car. "That's not the issue. To me, the issue is capping the leak."

At the Fort Lauderdale station, Paul Valcore said, "Boycott? It serves no purpose. BP is going to have to pay for the cleanup, so boycotting them wouldn't be productive. … Wherever gas is cheapest, that's where I stop."

The Glades Road location seemed to benefit because there are no other gas stations nearby.

"Let's put it this way — if there was something across the street, I'd be there right now," said Garth Friesen, of Delray Beach. "But I'm on empty, and this is the first place I saw. I felt some remorse when I saw it was a BP."

I figured business might be leaner at BP stations on streets with nearby competition. But the BP on East Copans Road in Pompano Beach and the one on Federal Highway and 17th Street weren't hurting at all when I stopped by, despite alternatives within sight.

"I had mixed feelings coming in here," said Marie Dee, of Fort Lauderdale, as she pumped $2.64-a-gallon regular unleaded into her Toyota Camry. "But this is where I usually fill up and it's cheap."

David Spector, the Fort Lauderdale station clerk, said customers haven't been rude or mouthed off as the spill drags on.

"Somebody wrote, 'Stop the leak,' on one of the pumps, but we cleaned it up," he said.

If only the Gulf were that easy.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/palm-beach/fl-bp-spill-mayocol-b060510-20100604,0,4365438.column

jhale667
06-07-2010, 12:00 PM

And that excuses what they've done HOW exactly, Brain Trust?

Catfish
06-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Don't know what I'm more sick of--dumbassed hippie musicians or limeys living in another country, criticizing ours.

And I hate the fucking 'he's a great guy' argument. Who gives a fuck??? Like those pussies who say Sammy Hagar seems like a great guy, whaa, whaa, whaa. So what? Doesn't mean I want him fronting a band! Just like I don't want a 'great guy' running the country. I want a motherfucker to be feared and respected!!!

None of this shit matters anyway. Obama probably couldn't name five Beatles songs. Sir Paul will still wash his balls, though.

BigBadBrian
06-07-2010, 12:09 PM
And that excuses what they've done HOW exactly, Brain Trust?

It doesn't. I don't doubt yours or anyone elses outrage (including my own) at this mess in the gulf, I just think you're going overboard wishing harm on an industry that enables your way of life.

jhale667
06-07-2010, 12:32 PM
It doesn't. I don't doubt yours or anyone elses outrage (including my own) at this mess in the gulf, I just think you're going overboard wishing harm on an industry that enables your way of life.

Wait, I'm "harming" them by suggesting they have to pay for cleaning up the mess they created, and should be penalized for drilling where they had NO clue how to shut it down if things went wrong??

Is this "National Corporate Apologist Day" or something?

BigBadBrian
06-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Wait, I'm "harming" them by suggesting they have to pay for cleaning up the mess they created, and should be penalized for drilling where they had NO clue how to shut it down if things went wrong??

Is this "National Corporate Apologist Day" or something?

Quit following me around the forum, you fuckin' fag!

You respond to everything I do. It's creeping me out, ya ugly bastard!

jhale667
06-07-2010, 12:46 PM
See Brie bust HIMSELF!! :biggrin:

Quit following me around the forum, you fuckin' fag!

You respond to everything I do. It's creeping me out, ya ugly bastard!

:lmao: Getting desperate now that you've been outed now, huh? And couldn't help working in a comment about your obsession with my looks despite yourself!!! LMAO!!

Re-read your OWN last post, moron, you quoted and addressed me, and now I'm following YOU, because I responded?? :lol: Nice try!

Nitro Express
06-10-2010, 03:13 AM
Dumb sheep. People should be burning BP gas stations down to the ground. Easy to do since the fuel is already there to do it with. Just be sure to loot the beer before you spray it down with the gas pump and toss a road flare in.

Nitro Express
06-10-2010, 03:17 AM
Sir Paul is a talented musician. I forgive him. He just lives in a bubble. Maybe if I was in the same circumstances I would be just as politically misguided as him. He doesn't feel the pain of the economic depression like an average person does. He has no clue what the average person is going through right now. I doubt he even knows there is a depression.