PDA

View Full Version : Inquirer: Michael Anthony

Jagermeister
06-03-2010, 09:24 AM
By Randy Harward, Photo by Bryan Adams

Michael AnthonyOriginally published in Guitar World, April 2010

Chickenfoot's Michael Anthony tells Guitar World why he plays bass, his first gig and his most embarrassing moment on stage.

What first inspired you to play bass?

It was by default that I started playing bass. Everybody that I knew wanted to be Robert Plant or Jimmy Page. Nobody wanted to play bass, because then you’re [former Rolling Stones bassist] Bill Wyman—you stand in the background while everybody else gets the chicks. So the first band I played in, I borrowed a friend’s guitar, took the top two strings off and played it like a bass. And then I grew to like how the bass vibrated me.

What was your first bass?

My father bought it for me at a local flea market. It was a Japanese bass called a Victoria, and I had a little Gibson amp. I immediately blew that up. As I kept playing, I saved money for my first Fender Precision bass. I sold the Victoria bass to a buddy at school, and around 10 years ago, I ran into his brother. He had the bass and gave it back to me. It was still in the original case, with the curly cord and the pitch pipe.

What was the first song you learned?

“Little Black Egg” by the Nightcrawlers [a mid-Sixties garage rock band; the song was a minor hit in parts of the U.S.].

What do you recall about your first gig?

My amp wasn’t loud enough. I had this Standel amp with two 10-inch speakers. I’d turn it up to the point of farty distortion just to keep up with the guitar player.

Ever had an embarrassing onstage moment?

In 1978, Van Halen were playing in North Carolina, opening for Boston. I did this little bass solo thing where I’d play a little bit, then jump up and hit the fuzz. This particular time, nothing happened. There’s nothing worse than having to do a tap dance in front of 60,000 people. That was pretty embarrassing. My tech wasn’t too pleased with me after the gig. Unfortunately, I couldn’t
afford anybody else!

What’s your favorite instrument or piece of gear?

That’s a tough one. I have an old Gibson EB1 violin bass. One of my favorite players, Felix Pappalardi of Mountain, played one. I don’t take it on the road a lot, but I play it at home and in the studio.

Do you have any advice for young players?

Do it for the love of it. Don’t do it for the fortune and fame, because it never works out.

ELVIS
06-03-2010, 09:33 AM
And you posted this why ??

Jagermeister
06-03-2010, 09:50 AM
And you posted this why ??

Why not?

Mr Walker
06-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Nobody wanted to play bass, because then you’re [former Rolling Stones bassist] Bill Wyman—you stand in the background while everybody else gets the chicks.

MA is a fucking idiot... Go read 'Stone Alone' and you'll see that Wyman probably banged more chicks than the rest of the Stones (active and inactive) combined.

chefcraig
06-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Ya know what I really miss these days? Those off the wall interviews from CREEM magazine. The interviewer would ask these bizarre questions that would catch the so-called "rock star" off guard, perplexing them (not a hard thing to do) and causing them to actually reveal something about themselves. Dave Roth was a master at the form, often turning his interviews into therapy sessions. Just once I'd like today's journalists to ask the real questions that people want to know the answer to, instead of tossing Larry King-like marshmallows over the plate. Like...

1. So, who is your favorite Golden Girl?
2. Ketchup on hot dogs: Cardinal sin or acceptable condiment?
3. Gilligan's Island: Mary Ann, Ginger or Mrs. Howell?
4. Why does Goofy stand erect while Pluto remains on all fours?
5. Seriously, how can you call whatever it is you do a profession with a straight face?

Mr Walker
06-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Just once I'd like today's journalists to ask the real questions that people want to know the answer to, instead of tossing Larry King-like marshmallows over the plate. Like...

I'm hoping Stern takes over for Larry King when Larry finally passes... many claim Stern's show is way past it's prime, but still... no one does an interview as well as Stern.
He did a phone interview with Woody Harrelson a few weeks ago that was funny as hell... especially when Woody handed the phone over to Willie Nelson whenever he'd start asking Woody about famous chicks he may have banged. Willie was pissing his pants. Howard asked Willie how high they were on a scale of 1-10 and Willie said 'Oh... about a 9".