PDA

View Full Version : Judas Priest singer Rob Halford

Jagermeister
06-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Judas Priest singer Rob Halford on seminal 1980 album 'British Steel', metal's legacy & the parties

Judas Priest singer Rob Halford on seminal 1980 album 'British Steel', metal's legacy & the parties
Originally Published:Monday, May 31st 2010, 4:38 PM
Updated: Tuesday, June 1st 2010, 7:31 AM

Priest's Rob Halford has been hell-bent for leather since the mid-1970s. But the frontman and his band made a huge leap forward with the release of the seminal album, "British Steel," 30 years ago this year. Now, the Metal God takes the Daily News back in time to the sessions that marked a major breakthrough in heavy metal history and the legendary partying afterwards.

As you're making your music, you're absolutely clueless as to any significance it might have in your career and beyond. But there certainly seems to have been value and importance placed on "British Steel" three decades later.

The '80s were a blur of booze and sex and drugs. Hollywood was absolutely insane, the strip was alive every night. The Rainbow was packed to the gills, night after night after night. It was just a remarkable time. The sixties had the hippy movement, and then the hard rock/metal scene in the '80s, in America especially, was just the opposite end of that scale. Everybody was wondering will I wake up tomorrow and some of us didn't.

The music itself succeeded because of just the simple straight forward manner that it was put together in the very short space of time that we had. Tom Allom, our producer, insisted that we were in and out in 28, 29 days in John Lennon's former house in London, where we recorded the album.

That just seems inconceivable with today's way of doing things. I think from 1980 onward, we were banging out a record every year and a world tour. That's just what young hungry bands do. You get caught up in the excitement and the momentum and all you want to do is play and you'll do whatever you need to do to do that. The "British Steel" sessions were just the next in the process of delivering a release on time to our label. Dates had been booked for a world tour. We don't really have time to think about the situation.

There is a significant amount of fans that have literally been with us since day one – it's heartwarming. It's a bit like supporting your favorite team, whether it's the Mets or the Jets or the Lakers or the Suns. You sort of go through everything together. Then you see, you'll get these young metal heads that are picking on you to be their favorite band and that's mind-blowing.

But it is different era - phrases like "OMG" and "TMI," I mean we live in the speed of light now. I don't think any of us in Priest have become bitter or cynical, which are very easy traps to fall into in the entertainment business. But in fact you probably think it must be really hard now for bands to get a hold on the public's attention and given a fair chance of a listen. Because people are not listening to full releases, they're just going by a download here or a download there. Your body of work, as it was during the early days of Priest, is not being listened to as completely.

Everything changes. I'm going to turning 60 next year, which I can't wait for. I'm determined to be on stage somewhere, preferably in America, screaming out "Painkiller."

I was talking to Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx about that the other day, when I was with Nikki and Ozzy the other week talking abut the upcoming Ozzfest. And Nikki was like, "Man, I'm in bed by ten o'clock and I drive the kids to school." But, I think no matter where you go and what you do, at the end of the day, you just want to be able to walk out on stage and rock out. And do it like you want to do it and do it as the fans want to see you do it.

Not like some kind of decrepit old man trying to squawk a few notes. I'll be the first to hang up the microphone if I can't do my job correctly.

Some of these bands whether it's Priest or ACDC or Kiss or Ozzy, how many years have we been around? And we're still here, we're still doing what we love to do. We're still carrying the essence of rock and roll and people still want to see us.

You just don't want it to stop. I don't think any of us look forward to retirement. What other profession can you get away with having a 59-year-old man going on stage and screaming my lungs out?

The music will still be relevant in another forty years. It's indestructible. The source of it, the sound of it, the essence of what it does to people will always be needed, from generation to generation.

Jagermeister
06-03-2010, 05:52 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cWpvWAROGP4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cWpvWAROGP4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Diamondjimi
06-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Was recently gifted by a fellow Army brutha with the 30th Anniversary version cd/dvd release. Fucking timeless album.
Still sounds amazing!

Hardrock69
06-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Halford is a true gentleman.

I first discovered him in 1979 when a friend loaned me three albums at one.

Unleashed In The East
Stained Class
Hell Bent For Leather

I had just got my first Marshall, and had my 1975 Gibson Flying V. The first song by them I ever learned to play was Exciter, the next was Hell Bent For Leather.

I have been a fan now for 31 years. I am proud to say I have grown up with Priest, and will be a fan of theirs until the day I die.

Jagermeister
06-03-2010, 11:33 PM
You know he is gay right?

I'm a fan to. I just wish he wasn't gay.

Anonymous
06-03-2010, 11:41 PM
What the fuck???? What difference does it make if the dude's gay or not?

Would you be able to appreciate his work more if he was gay? Would you put up a poster of the guy clad in studded leather in your bedroom wall if he was straight? Does the fact that he's gay makes you feel gay because you listen to him?

You WISH HE WASN'T GAY??????? Dude, I'd NEVER go out drinking with you. You have some serious unresolved issues right there.

Cheers! :bottle:

Jagermeister
06-03-2010, 11:43 PM

Would you be able to appreciate his work more if he was gay? Would you put up a poster of the guy clad in studded leather in your bedroom wall if he was straight? Does the fact that he's gay makes you feel gay because you listen to him?

You WISH HE WASN'T GAY??????? Dude, I'd NEVER go out drinking with you. You have some serious unresolved issues right there.

That hurts man. That hurts. :(

I was joking. The man has been openly gay forever. I'm over it.

GO-SPURS-GO
06-04-2010, 12:34 AM

:biggrin: Come on, you're a very smart guy so you should've known he was being sarcastic. :bottle:

GO-SPURS-GO
06-04-2010, 12:36 AM
What's with the smilies not being in the right place? Is it just on my end?

Anonymous
06-04-2010, 12:42 AM
That hurts man. That hurts. :(

I was joking. The man has been openly gay forever. I'm over it.

You're over it? How can you be joking if you're over it?

Just on the safe side, I STILL wouldn't go out drinking with you. If you're so insecure with your sexuality, I'm afraid you'd hit on me after a couple beers... just sayin'.

It's ALWAYS the ones that can't stand gay people that are gay themselves... like those guys that rape gays because they don't like 'em.

I have absolutely no fuck to give about someone's sexual orientation, ESPECIALLY highly talented bummers like Halford or Mercury.

I do have an issue with poofters like George Michael or Gar, but that's just because they're wastrels.

Anonymous
06-04-2010, 12:43 AM
:biggrin: Come on, you're a very smart guy so you should've known he was being sarcastic. :bottle:

I dunno... looks nothing like sarcasm. You, however may have been double sarcastic - about him being sarcastic & me being very smart. :lol:

binnie
06-04-2010, 05:24 AM
What a great record - it really crystallized Heavy Metal, imo.

I actually prefer the '70s material from Priest, but the sound of 'British Steel' is immense.....

Mr Badguy
06-04-2010, 08:05 AM
Priest led the way from 1975-84, no doubt about it.

"Unleashed in the east" is still my all time favourite album.

I just wish they would do some British shows for the "British Steel" anniversary.

The DVD is awesome.

Thank god they changed "Diamonds and rust" back to it`s original arrangement.

Panamark
06-04-2010, 08:50 AM
British Steel is an absolute classic.
My favourite track would have to be "The Rage".

One of the albums featured in the "classic albums" series
that pops up on Vh1 etc from time to time, and really worth
watching. How they came up with some of the effects using
pool cues and cutlery, is very cool. (Recorded in John and Yoko's
english love pad)

If I go through a stage of life when circumstance has prohibited me
from playing, and suddenly I'm sitting alone in a room with an axe
and a Marshall.. British Steel is always the first album I throw in
to jam along too, to see if my fingers even move again. :biggrin:

I'm guessing most of us can play "Breakin the Law" and "Livin after Midnight"
pissed as judges with our dicks hanging out... never the less, it gets the old
blood flowing again.

Has to be in the top 10 "I'm stranded on a desert island" list...

As for Halford and gayness.Its an english thing. I was shocked when
I found out Bruce Dick-in-son was staight !!

As a nation, Australia tried to help by sending the Minogue's across
to get the lads happy in the right direction... Alas....

Butt fuckit !

If we didn't have Freddy and Mick and Bowie all jig-a-booing
in her Vagesty's island. We would be missing out on some grate music..

British Steel !!!

What a fucking great album.

Jagermeister
06-04-2010, 09:00 AM
You're over it? How can you be joking if you're over it?

Just on the safe side, I STILL wouldn't go out drinking with you. If you're so insecure with your sexuality, I'm afraid you'd hit on me after a couple beers... just sayin'.

It's ALWAYS the ones that can't stand gay people that are gay themselves... like those guys that rape gays because they don't like 'em.

I have absolutely no fuck to give about someone's sexual orientation, ESPECIALLY highly talented bummers like Halford or Mercury.

I do have an issue with poofters like George Michael or Gar, but that's just because they're wastrels.

Now how in the fuck would you know that?

I wouldn't invite you for a beer.

Jagermeister
06-04-2010, 09:03 AM
Let's me set the record straight. I DON'T LIKE GAY PEOPLE.

They don't bother me I just don't like them.

Jagermeister
06-04-2010, 09:17 AM
KICK ASS.

JUDAS PRIEST is part of Legacy Recordings' brand-new Setlist series of live collections which will be available at all physical and digital retail outlets starting July 13.

The track listing for the PRIEST compilation is as follows:

01. Judas Rising
02. Riding On The Wind
03. Heading Out To The Highway
04. Breaking The Law
05. Exciter
06. Tyrant
07. Out In The Cold
08. Dissident Aggressor
09. The Green Manalishi (With The Two Pronged Crown)
10. Beyond The Realms Of Death
11. Freewheel Burning
12. You've Got Another Thing Comin'

In an exciting new configuration, each single-CD volume in the Setlist series will consist of remastered .mp3-ready live tracks drawn from each artist's vast archive of live album recordings. The CD is embedded with computer-accessible .pdf files containing liner notes essays, discographical information, photography, bonus features, and more. The package itself will be a plastic-free, 100% recycled paper, recyclable eco-friendly digi-pak, and the product line will be priced for budget-minded consumers.

The Setlist series takes advantage of the multitudes of live recordings – some rarities, others released on best-selling albums, and still some others remaining previously unreleased in the vaults — until now.

The Setlist series follows up Legacy's successful Playlist series launched two years ago. Each volume reflected an insider's musical tastes, with familiar tracks and hits alongside rarities, out-of-print, hard-to-find, and unreleased material that is characteristic of the Legacy experience.

Panamark
06-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Let's me set the record straight. I DON'T LIKE GAY PEOPLE.

They don't bother me I just don't like them.

I'm openly gay ?
Just like the kookaburra in the old gum tree ?

I'm black too !

My gaydar is bleepin overtime on your posts :0

PM me.... anytime.....

Hardrock69
06-04-2010, 09:41 AM
What was cool about seeing them on this last tour, and them playing the entire album, was that they did (of course) play The Rage, which I had never seen them play live before. That is one heavy motherfucking song from that album.

Here is one of my favorite live bootlegs of songs from that album.

Halford with Metallica performing "Rapid Fire":

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P9DXqhJcApE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P9DXqhJcApE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Jagermeister
06-04-2010, 09:44 AM
I'm openly gay ?
Just like the kookaburra in the old gum tree ?

I'm black too !

Liar!

Panamark
06-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Liar!

Its people like you that destroy the entire closet industry !!!! :mad:

binnie
06-04-2010, 09:59 AM
Priest led the way from 1975-84, no doubt about it.

"Unleashed in the east" is still my all time favourite album.

I just wish they would do some British shows for the "British Steel" anniversary.

The DVD is awesome.

Thank god they changed "Diamonds and rust" back to it`s original arrangement.

I think that there was a tail off after 'Briitish Steel'. 'Screaming For Vengence' was still an excellent record, but by 'Defenders of the Faith' it all felt a little........rigid to these ears. 'Painkiller' was a great last hurrah for the Halford era, but I can't honestly say that I've been that enthusiastic about the reunion record. 'Angel of Retribution' was underwhlming to say the least; and whilst 'Nostradamus' was ballsy and ambitious, it was chronically overblown. Priest was at its best when the band strove for the anthemic rather than the epic I think....

Hardrock69
06-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Since the reunion they have had their 'moments' but they have been fewer than back in the day. I still hate the mixes for DOTF...the drums sound like a bunch of soggy cardboard boxes being kicked down a staircase....WHEN you can hear them at all.

Turbo had great production but the songs sucked fucking ass.

Ram It Down was a bit better...Blood Red Skies is Priest in the Digital Age, and should have been included on the Terminator 2 soundtrack.

Painkiller was a true revitalization.

I thought Fight was the next logical progression, but Tipton and Downing are a little stodgy in the writing department, and could not have taken it to the thrash zone.

jhale667
06-04-2010, 11:00 AM

When I was a teen there was a group of jock dudes from another high school that went around assaulting guys they even thought were gay, like long-hairs. But the only went after smaller dudes they could overpower (shocker). One day my buddy and I (we're both straight and physically large enough they wouldn't have DARED fuck with us even with superior numbers) caught the ring leader and we were like

"So let me get this straight. YOU butt-raped a dude because you think he's gay?"

Jock: "Hell yeah, we showed him a lesson!" (Still don't understand the logic of that statement, but play along)

Us: "We you first in line?"

Jock: "No."

Us: "So let's be clear: YOU and your buddies formed a conga-line to butt-rape some dude you'd beaten unconscious. And you got hard while waiting YOUR TURN and participated? GUESS WHO'S GAY, DUDE...IT'S YOU AND YOUR PALS!"

The dude didn't have an answer for that, and after trying to deny it for a few seconds, basically ran away CRYING...yeah, big tough jock dude had a realization about himself he didn't like...:turninggay:

Well, they both do weird shit w/ people in public restrooms, that's completely understandable. :hee:

HOWEVER, in Halford news, he's going to do some shows with Heaven and Hell subbing for RJD...which was pretty cool the LAST time he did it...!

Anonymous
06-04-2010, 12:01 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

What a fuckin' poofter - I would've beaten that jock unconscious & bum rape him to teach him a lesson.

Oh, wait... FUCK!

Still, you gotta love how that lilac Jagermeister won't buy me a beer now that I've told him he wouldn't have a chance to explore his sexuality with me... of course he doesn't like gay people - how often do we not like to see in others what reminds us of ourselves...

Jager - it's ok, dude. Everybody's doing it. Hell, we won't think any less of you just because you like to have your turds pushed.

Mr Badguy
06-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Since the reunion they have had their 'moments' but they have been fewer than back in the day. I still hate the mixes for DOTF...the drums sound like a bunch of soggy cardboard boxes being kicked down a staircase....WHEN you can hear them at all.

Turbo had great production but the songs sucked fucking ass.

Ram It Down was a bit better...Blood Red Skies is Priest in the Digital Age, and should have been included on the Terminator 2 soundtrack.

Painkiller was a true revitalization.

I thought Fight was the next logical progression, but Tipton and Downing are a little stodgy in the writing department, and could not have taken it to the thrash zone.

"Defenders..." could have been their best ever album if Tom Allom could have got the sound like "British Steel", there`s nothing wrong with the songs.

"Turbo" could have been better, especially when you hear some of the discarded songs on the remasters series.

"Ram it down" although not awful is easily Priest`s weakest up until then. The songs are almost all about sex or Heavy Metal, very unimaginative for Priest.

"Painkiller" was awesome but the momentum left with Halford.

Jagermeister
06-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Screaming For Vengeance was a good one. Blood Stone is a killer tune.

So was Hell Bent for Leather. ( Should have known about Rob after that album)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1_1SiW-rwco&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1_1SiW-rwco&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Reverberator
06-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Pussylickers post

Cheers

You know summat though , it was a fucking great BIG deal back in the day if a celebrity was gay , why do ya think they were all in the closet . if you talk about British stars like Rob , coming out would have destroyed his career before he'd started. We're talking Birmingham in the seventies not Amsterdam , New York etc...

It just wasn't heard of then.

So yeah , back in the day Gay was just not done.

Anonymous
06-04-2010, 07:41 PM
You know summat though , it was a fucking great BIG deal back in the day if a celebrity was gay , why do ya think they were all in the closet . if you talk about British stars like Rob , coming out would have destroyed his career before he'd started. We're talking Birmingham in the seventies not Amsterdam , New York etc...

It just wasn't heard of then.

So yeah , back in the day Gay was just not done.

Yeah, I'm quite aware of that... it was something that was not accepted. Fuck, it's still anti-natural today, but it is a victimless "crime", so let 'em. If no one is hurting no one against their will, who's anyone to judge?

Nowadays, with the internets, trannies & Lady Gaga, being gay is... gay.

But seeing as it doesn't step on anyone's toes, one should be ready to accept other people's choices in sexuality, however sick, twisted & wrong they may be. Paedophiles should STILL & FOREVER be killed on sight, though.

Uh, I forgot what my pint was... oh, yeah. Well, these days, one shouldn't be concerned at all about someone's life choices as long as they don't hamper anyone else. It's still those who aren't very sure about themselves who hate others who might be what they themselves are, but aren't comfortable with it. I'm not sure I made myself clear.

Oh, fuck it. You wanna be top or bottom tonight? I got these girls who do dogs for a pony.

Hardrock69
06-04-2010, 10:36 PM
"Defenders..." could have been their best ever album if Tom Allom could have got the sound like "British Steel", there`s nothing wrong with the songs.

"Turbo" could have been better, especially when you hear some of the discarded songs on the remasters series.

"Ram it down" although not awful is easily Priest`s weakest up until then. The songs are almost all about sex or Heavy Metal, very unimaginative for Priest.

"Painkiller" was awesome but the momentum left with Halford.

True. And I have heard all the bonus tracks they have released over the past decade.
When they released the remastered versions of the albums, I was praying to the gods I would hear some improvement of the drums on DOTF. Instead, it just sounded like really CLEAN soggy cardboard boxes being kicked down a staircase. The songs are so fucking strong. Christ. If the drums at least would have sounded like British Steel on Freewheel Burning, it would have kicked the entire planet's ass!

Yeah, by Ram It Down they were running out of gas as far as subject matter.

Even though the title track for Painkiller kicks ass, I was getting burned out on songs describing how powerful stuff is....

"Chromium-plated, boiling metal, brighter than a thousand suns...."

I mean hey, ok so it is big and powerful and bombastic and all that. Whoop-de-doo.
Halford's vocal performance was fantastic on that one, but again, running out of ideas.

And writing about evil and Hell and the Devil is really old. Hell Patrol....a Touch Of Evil.

Oh well. Great songs, but time to move on.

On thing is for sure, Scott Travis was a major breath of fire into that band.

Hardrock69
07-23-2010, 12:57 AM
My latest Photochop project:

http://i27.tinypic.com/5zl4ja.jpg