PDA

View Full Version : John Wooden, the Wizard of Westwood, dies at 99

POJO_Risin
06-04-2010, 10:48 PM
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

John Wooden's character and reputation were both equally impressive. Without a doubt, the best coach to grace the basketball court. Its been 35 years since the wizard of Westwood graced a court, and he was still the most respected coach in the country...

RIP Coach Wooden...

Va Beach VH Fan
06-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Greatest coach of all time... No one even close...

What a fantastic life.... 99+ years.....

sadaist
06-05-2010, 12:32 AM
Awesome dude, awesome coach, awesome legacy.

This is not the time to be sad. 99 years of health, winning, wealth, and living a dream life. Very few are so lucky. RIP Wizard. Thanks for the greatness.

POJO_Risin
06-06-2010, 12:39 PM
I'm moderately in awe that this thread only has play from the three of us. Man, I know I'm a sports' fan...and I know Wooden hasn't coached in 35 years...but are we the only ones that think this is important?

chefcraig
06-06-2010, 01:24 PM
My cousin ran into Mr. Wooden at a basketball game a few years ago. He was a kind and gracious man, warmly accepting my cousin's platitudes. Not wanting to impinge upon the man further, my cousin hastily offered his hand and said something along the lines of "I don't want to take up any more of your time", to which Mr. Wooden said "Son, I'm thankful I had the time to meet you".

Words like "classy" and "dignified" are thrown about far too easily these days. Mr. W was a true example of both.

R.I.P., sir.