PDA

View Full Version : Cultural Awesomeness in Arizona...Thanks to Steve Blair.

bueno bob
06-04-2010, 11:32 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/06/04/20100604arizona-mural-sparks-racial-debate.html

A group of artists has been asked to lighten the faces of children depicted in a giant public mural at a Prescott school.

The project's leader says he was ordered to lighten the skin tone after complaints about the children's ethnicity. But the school's principal says the request was only to fix shading and had nothing to do with political pressure.

The "Go on Green" mural, which covers two walls outside Miller Valley Elementary School, was designed to advertise a campaign for environmentally friendly transportation. It features portraits of four children, with a Hispanic boy as the dominant figure.

R.E. Wall, director of Prescott's Downtown Mural Project, said he and other artists were subjected to slurs from motorists as they worked on the painting at one of the town's most prominent intersections.

"We consistently, for two months, had people shouting racial slander from their cars," Wall said. "We had children painting with us, and here come these yells of (epithet for Blacks) and (epithet for Hispanics)."

**(Bob's note - that's the "N" word and the "S" word for those of you who missed it...)**

Wall said school Principal Jeff Lane pressed him to make the children's faces appear happier and brighter.

"It is being lightened because of the controversy," Wall said, adding that "they want it to look like the children are coming into light."

Lane said that he received only three complaints about the mural and that his request for a touch-up had nothing to do with political pressure. "We asked them to fix the shading on the children's faces," he said. "We were looking at it from an artistic view. Nothing at all to do with race."

City Councilman Steve Blair spearheaded a public campaign on his talk show at Prescott radio station KYCA-AM (1490) to remove the mural.

In a broadcast last month, according to the Daily Courier in Prescott, Blair mistakenly complained that the most prominent child in the painting is African-American, saying: "To depict the biggest picture on the building as a Black person, I would have to ask the question: Why?"

Blair could not be reached for comment Thursday. In audio archives of his radio show, Blair discusses the mural. He insists the controversy isn't about racism but says the mural is intended to create racial controversy where none existed before.

"Personally, I think it's pathetic," he says. "You have changed the ambience of that building to excite some kind of diversity power struggle that doesn't exist in Prescott, Arizona. And I'm ashamed of that."

Faces in the mural were drawn from photographs of children enrolled at Miller Valley, a K-5 school with 380 students and the highest ethnic mix of any school in Prescott. Wall said thousands of town residents volunteered or donated to the project, the fourth in a series of community murals painted by a group of artists known as the "Mural Mice."

The public art, funded by a $5,000 state grant through the Prescott Alternative Transportation Center, was selected by school students and faculty.

"The parents and children love it," Lane said.

ELVIS
06-04-2010, 11:41 PM
So, is this good or bad ??

Jagermeister
06-04-2010, 11:52 PM
I'm really having to hold back on this. Way to much potencial
for racial humor.

Blaze
06-05-2010, 02:26 AM
http://prescottdailycourier.com/SiteImages/Article/81328a.jpg
http://prescottdailycourier.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=81328

Blaze
06-05-2010, 02:30 AM
http://dcourier.com/SiteImages/PGallery/984719338.jpg

Link to the photo gallery
http://dcourier.com/main.asp?SectionID=99&SubSectionID=1212

Blaze
06-05-2010, 02:32 AM
I think we have a new bee girl :D
http://dcourier.com/SiteImages/PGallery/984719335.jpg

Blaze
06-05-2010, 02:34 AM
Wow, these folks get costumed at a drop of a hat~
http://dcourier.com/SiteImages/PGallery/984719333.jpg

Blaze
06-05-2010, 02:38 AM
Does grampa have on Culottes insted of a kilt?
Nevermind he is standing on a golf-cart while riding down a sidewalk playing bag pipes that do not match his Culottes

http://dcourier.com/SiteImages/PGallery/984719331.jpg

Blaze
06-05-2010, 02:46 AM
Holy Guacamole !
These people seem to paint anything that cannot run away.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3395/3192683519_f8f824fa75.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/map?&fLat=34.5426&fLon=-112.4727&zl=5&order_by=recent

bueno bob
06-05-2010, 03:21 AM
So, is this good or bad ??

Well, I don't know. I'd say that one of the city dads hiding behind his radio microphone and making a big fucking stink about the skin color of K-5 students on a painted mural, up to the point where the Principal of said school orders a large dose of more whiteness for the kids depicted (actual students at the school, mind you) so as not to offend all those easily intimidated by their color variation...well, I don't know. Call me crazy but I'd score it as "bad", personally.

Of course, Steve Blair can't even distinguish between black and Hispanic. At his age, you'd assume he'd know the difference. I'd call that "bad", too, but one color is just as bad as another if it's not plainly white, I guess?

If racial epithets ("******" and "Spic") were being hurled at the picture of children attending that school for two months by grown up, mature and responsible white folk, and Steve Blair took to a public forum to rail for it to be taken down a month later (so as not to offend anybody who doesn't like those skin colors, I presume), I'd make a venture to say that Steve Blair is on their side, and based on his ignorance of skin color and how it applies to a person's race, well, I suppose I'd call that "bad", especially when he's supposedly representing the city of Prescott by sitting on the council. I assume there aren't just white people in Prescott, but I could be wrong. Maybe all those other colors are just border jumping illegals.

We could always phone him and ask, or send him an email.

928-777-1100
http://www.cityofprescott.net/email.php?id=25

hambon4lif
06-05-2010, 03:25 AM
I'm really having to hold back on this. Way to much potencial
for racial humor.I agree 100%! The person who created this thread is far more interested in 'owning' than they are in having to counter any kind of intelligence they may have to refute as to why they bothered to create a thread out of this in the first fucking place!

Spin your shit, Vader!! It's all for fail anyways.....jagoff!

It has way too much potential to take apart! Maybe he's high or drunk....who knows (or cares)?

bueno bob
06-05-2010, 03:40 AM
I agree 100%!

Ooh, goody!

The person who created this thread is far more interested in 'owning' than they are in having to counter any kind of intelligence

Demonstrate some and I'll consider it. I haven't seen any "intelligence" displayed as of yet.

they may have to refute

Nor have I seen anything to "refute", shit for brains. Mind telling me where the counter point was? I missed it. All I saw is a confused (and probably drunken) Elvis and a bunch of pictures.

as to why they bothered to create a thread out of this in the first fucking place!

I create threads for two reasons.

1) Because they're relevant and/or of interest;
2) Because I fucking feel like it.

Spin your shit, Vader!! It's all for fail anyways.....jagoff!

Where's the spin? It's a news article from a legitimate source about a story in Prescott and some obviously serious racial undertones.

Hey, if you don't see it, move your ass along, amateur.

It has way too much potential to take apart!

Hunh?

Maybe he's high or drunk....who knows (or cares)?

Obviously you do, otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned it. Glad to see you still care about me, though. :)

hambon4lif
06-05-2010, 04:10 AM
I create threads for two reasons.

1) Because they're relevant and/or of interest;
2) Because I fucking feel like it.....not really sold on the former, holmes!
I know from purely a watchers standpoint, you create threads like this with the sole intention of starting shit with independent thinkers....

I'm totally sold on the latter, though. After quite a bit of observance, I'm thoroughly convinced, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you start threads (like this moronic one) for no other reason than to start shit. (yeah, homeboy....your reputation HAS preceded you).

Other than you feeling bold, I see no other reason this thread even exists........

It will not last long.....and I will thoroughly enjoy taking it apart.....
The simple fact that it makes no goddamn sense gives me the inside track.

lesfunk
06-05-2010, 04:23 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I'd be right pissed if somebody went and painted a bad picture of Tiger Woods on my elementary school!

bueno bob
06-05-2010, 04:24 AM
....not really sold on the former, holmes!

On the plus side, you don't need to be.

I know from purely a watchers standpoint, you create threads like this with the sole intention of starting shit with independent thinkers....

That's funny. I don't recall calling any, um, "independent thinkers" out anywhere. I do recall considering it a relevant news story, so...I'll leave you to your own ideals...heh...

I'm totally sold on the latter, though.

And well you should be.

After quite a bit of observance,

And just exactly how much "observance" have you done, junior?

I'm thoroughly convinced, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you start threads (like this moronic one) for no other reason than to start shit. (yeah, homeboy....your reputation HAS preceded you).

Well, I hope this gets better really quick. I don't seem to recall "starting shit" with anybody, but I'm sure you'll be more than happy to point out exactly where I, um...what was it? Oh yes, "started shit" and "called out independent thinkers".

Please, any time you're ready. I'm all eyes open here...

Other than you feeling bold, I see no other reason this thread even exists........

Hey, feel free to lock it down if it suits you. Oh...yeah...

It will not last long.....and I will thoroughly enjoy taking it apart.....

I'm still waiting for you to even begin. It seems to me that you're more interesting in showing me how big your penis is, and quite frankly it's of little interest to me. Like I said - demonstrate some intelligence you're so aptly professing or you're going to bore me, underling.

The simple fact that it makes no goddamn sense gives me the inside track.

Hmm...well, if it 'makes no goddamn sense' to you, this WILL be a short debate, as I'm not here to educate you on the impact of a clear issue of racism alive and well in Prescott, how a member of the city council is clearly endorsing it from public airwaves and how certain laws are encouraging this type of behavior. Quite frankly, if you don't "get it", then you probably could use a much wider world view. Unfortunately, I'm not really of any mind to give you one myself, because frankly, it's not a productive use of my time. And more importantly, amateur poster, it's of no interest to me when it comes to my online entertainment and discussions.

In layman's terms, if you can't connect the fuckin' dots on your own, pal, you're screwed.

So let's see where my "starting shit", and "calling out independent thinkers" happened, and then let's see you "take apart this thread". Frankly, all you've managed to accomplish thus far is making yourself look like a Saturday night drunken fuckwit with no interest in any of the above, only interest in showing everybody how large your balls are and flexing for the crowd while ranting at the top of your lungs about how you're a martial arts expert and can lick any son of a bitch in the bar.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING, Jimmy. BOOOOOOOOOOOORING.

To be 100% honest, I have a bong in my room that's of a LOT more interest to me than that right now, simpleton, so I suggest you choose your path accordingly.

And quickly. My patience level has pretty much ran out, it seems.

bueno bob
06-05-2010, 04:34 AM
Well, fuck it. I'm going to go get stoned while Hamhead tucks his penis between his legs and pretends he's a really ugly girl.

Night all! :D

diamondsgirl
06-05-2010, 04:41 AM
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/06/04/20100604arizona-mural-sparks-racial-debate.html

City Councilman Steve Blair spearheaded a public campaign on his talk show at Prescott radio station KYCA-AM (1490) to remove the mural.

In a broadcast last month, according to the Daily Courier in Prescott, Blair mistakenly complained that the most prominent child in the painting is African-American, saying: "To depict the biggest picture on the building as a Black person, I would have to ask the question: Why?"

mural were drawn from photographs of children enrolled at Miller Valley, a K-5 school with 380 students and the highest ethnic mix of any school in Prescott. Wall said thousands of town residents volunteered or donated to the project, the fourth in a series of community murals painted by a group of artists known as the "Mural Mice."

The public art, funded by a $5,000 state grant through the Prescott Alternative Transportation Center, was selected by school students and faculty.

"The parents and children love it," Lane said.

Firstly, to his question "why?", I would counter, why the fuck NOT?
Secondly if these are truly pictures of the kids that attend that school, and the students and faculty chose the drawing, and the students and the parents love the drawing and most importantly the drawing is delivering an important message to EVERYONE regardless of and having nothing to do with skin color, what is this idiot's problem?
Thirdly, who are they fooling by saying they are fixing the shading and not lightening the skin? Even kids in elementary school are not dumb enough to believe that. And what a sad example that is.
Bad and sad.

hambon4lif
06-05-2010, 05:08 AM
I almost hate to wake you up there, pal, but clearly, you're not here to educate ANY-FUCKING-BODY!!
(note to everyone.....if Bobby is teaching you anything, it's very likely that your ass should go back to school......seriously!).
I look upon you sadly! What a pompous ass you are.....

...it's most likely what gave you the confidence to start some stupid fucking thread like this one. (Do you even LIVE in Arizona, dumbass?).......how do their rules affect you one way or the other?....yeah....that's what I thought.....you fucking MORON!

And in closing?.....your debating skills leave alot to be desired.....typical libby bullshit. "Hey, look over there!"......"What about that over there?"........weak sauce bullshit.....never head-to-head. God forbid you should ever engage in a legitimate argument without throwing out some kind of a deflection....it's the only way you can sustain in an argument for longer than 3 fucking minutes! I've already accepted it!

It's just the way you bitches roll!

This particular thread is beyond fucking STUPID......where would you like me to start?

diamondsgirl
06-05-2010, 05:16 AM
I almost hate to wake you up there, pal, but clearly, you're not here to educate ANY-FUCKING-BODY!!
(note to everyone.....if Bobby is teaching you anything, it's very likely that your ass should go back to school......seriously!).

...it's most likely what gave you the confidence to start some stupid fucking thread like this one. (Do you even LIVE in Arizona, dumbass?).......how do their rules affect you one way or the other?....yeah....that's what I thought.....you fucking MORON!

And in closing?.....your debating skills leave alot to be desired.....typical libby bullshit. "Hey, look over there!"......"What about that over there?"........weak sauce bullshit.....never head-to-head. God forbid you should ever engage in a legitimate argument without throwing out some kind of a deflection....it's the only way you can sustain in an argument for longer than 3 fucking minutes! I've already accepted it!

This particular thread is beyond fucking STUPID......where would you like me to start?

why is this thread pissing you off so much?

hambon4lif
06-05-2010, 05:25 AM
why is this thread pissing you off so much?Because the thread is ironically named "Cultural Awesomeness" when all Bob really wants to do is bitch and cry some more.

Don't let him fool you....he didn't start this thread for no other reason than to start some shit.

He's a fucking ass!

diamondsgirl
06-05-2010, 06:02 AM
I've known Bob for something like 10 years . We are probably as far apart on the political spectrum as two people can be, although I dig the shit out of him as a person. :baaa:

That aside, I can see the "wrongness" in what this thread is about.

I mean, lightening the color of a kids skin on a mural on a kids school because white adults are offended?

This kid actually goes to the school. And they are going back and "retouching" his skin tone so he doesn't look "as black" as he really is.

It's fucked up. No?

And it doesn't matter if Bob lives there or not. Just like I can comment on what is going on in the Gulf. I don't live there.

PETE'S BROTHER
06-05-2010, 10:56 AM
I've known Bob for something like 10 years . We are probably as far apart on the political spectrum as two people can be, although I dig the shit out of him as a person. :baaa:

That aside, I can see the "wrongness" in what this thread is about.

I mean, lightening the color of a kids skin on a mural on a kids school because white adults are offended?

This kid actually goes to the school. And they are going back and "retouching" his skin tone so he doesn't look "as black" as he really is.

It's fucked up. No?

And it doesn't matter if Bob lives there or not. Just like I can comment on what is going on in the Gulf. I don't live there.

which "white" adults were offended?

ELVIS
06-05-2010, 11:26 AM
I suspect some tension other than racism beind this issue...

And no, I don't drink...

:elvis:

ELVIS
06-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Behind...even...

bueno bob
06-05-2010, 11:42 AM
why is this thread pissing you off so much?

He's not pissed off at the thread, he just wants to fight me on something. Anything, actually, because after all 512 of his posts over the last 6 years, he's convinced himself that he's a Roth Army bad ass and is apparently desperate to prove it.

It's really kinda silly. But it is amusing, if nothing else. Go for the gold, Hamhead.

bueno bob
06-05-2010, 12:48 PM

And yet, I just expanded your knowledge about a situation of racial tension rising in Prescott, Arizona. Go figure.

SUPER seriously?

Outstanding! Luckily for you, I sit around all day and concern myself about how look "look upon me".

...it's most likely what gave you the confidence to start some stupid fucking thread like this one.

Actually, that's a pretty good guess on your part. However, other than my own interest in the subject matter, it's the fact that what I initially stated would occur after the passage of SB 1070 is now occuring is what "gave me the confidence" to post it. And what did I say would happen? Open season by the less educated to completely embrace their anti-anything not white tendencies.

Nice try, though.

(Do you even LIVE in Arizona, dumbass?).......how do their rules affect you one way or the other?....yeah....that's what I thought.....you fucking MORON!

Do I have to live in Arizona to care about what goes on there? Do I have to live locally to be interested, concerned, or upset about something? I guess by that logic that anybody who doesn't live around the latest BP environmental beautification project just SHOULDN'T CARE, right?

Please, explain THAT one to me. I'd LOVE to hear it.

I will say this, it's a good damn thing that everybody doesn't follow your logic. I shudder to think of where the world would be at right now if people just didn't give a shit about anything other than what's going on in their own back yard.

And in closing?.....

Why don't you try OPENING first?

your debating skills leave alot to be desired.....

As does your wit, internet posting skill, and ability to make even a remotely logical, sensible or halfway intelligent point.

At all.

While you can sling insults fairly well, it's not particularly interesting after a while, and based on your obviously weak grasp of grammar, proper English and typing skill, it's apparent that you lack quite a lot in the debate skill and are far more interested in derailing off into adolescent insults rather than providing any sort of actual COUNTERPOINT that can be sensibly debated. Your knee-jerk reactions really hurt you a lot, and frankly, based on those aspects you're never going to amount to very much of anything around here.

But after all these years, I guess you know that already. Everybody else does.

typical libby bullshit. "Hey, look over there!"......"What about that over there?"........

Well, you're more than welcome to keep your head buried in the sand while the rest of us brainiacs take on a broader world view. Far be it from me to encourage you to pull it out. God knows you'd just shove it up the nearest possible ass out of fear, anyway.

weak sauce bullshit.....

"Weak sauce"?

What grade are you in?

My kids love that expression...

never head-to-head.

And I'm sure you live in my community and "observe" me to know that?

God forbid you should ever engage in a legitimate argument without throwing out some kind of a deflection....

Funny. I don't seem to recall "deflecting" anything. In fact, I challenged you to back up even one accusation you made in your original post and I've YET to see you do it in this post.

it's the only way you can sustain in an argument for longer than 3 fucking minutes! I've already accepted it!

Three minutes? So we're arguing in person and timing it now?

What kind of fucking idiot are you? Seriously, are you REALLY this stupid? Or is your anger and desperation to make a name for yourself so overwhelming that you've just entirely tossed all common sense out the fucking window?

It's one or the other.

That's right, gangsta.

How about ANYWHERE, dumbass? For all your TALK, you don't seem to be particularly fucking eager to back ANY of it up.

STILL WAITING.

bueno bob
06-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Firstly, to his question "why?", I would counter, why the fuck NOT?
Secondly if these are truly pictures of the kids that attend that school, and the students and faculty chose the drawing, and the students and the parents love the drawing and most importantly the drawing is delivering an important message to EVERYONE regardless of and having nothing to do with skin color, what is this idiot's problem?
Thirdly, who are they fooling by saying they are fixing the shading and not lightening the skin? Even kids in elementary school are not dumb enough to believe that. And what a sad example that is.
Bad and sad.

Amen. I wrote Mr. Blair a friendly little email last night and expressed how proud of him I was... ;)

Can you imagine that kid having to go home and tell his parents that his face isn't "light enough" to be happy? I mean, shoes on the other feet, here's a great example - Hispanic children in my son's elementary school outnumber them say three to one, ish. And that's not to be taken that we live "on the bad side" or anything, or that we live in a particularly affluent area - it's just the way that it is because there's a large Hispanic population here. Never had any problem with it and most of his friends are Hispanic, most of them are pretty cool kids and we have a really awesome neighborhood community with them.

However, if somebody decided to paint my son's picture on a mural (for whatever reason) and then people started raising a bunch of shit because his skin tone wasn't "brown enough" and then the Principal of said school ordered that his skin be "darkened" for "artistic purposes" after people were driving by and yelling insults and a city council member took to the airwaves questioning why a white child was displayed prominently? I'd hit the roof, frankly.

I guess what we've learned from Prescott is that white means happier.

Anonymous
06-05-2010, 01:00 PM
What the fuck? Where does this hatred for Double B. comes from? One of the kewlest guys at this site, it's just a shame he's a bit lilac.

Even Iommi & Dio knew how cool Bu-Bo is - as pointed how by them in their song, "Bob Rules".

Cheers! :bottle:

bueno bob
06-05-2010, 01:15 PM
What the fuck? Where does this hatred for Double B. comes from? One of the kewlest guys at this site, it's just a shame he's a bit lilac.

Even Iommi & Dio knew how cool Bu-Bo is - as pointed how by them in their song, "Bob Rules".

That's right! \,,/

Hamhead just has a hard on and it's got my name written all over it. Hard saying how though - considering there are three letters in my name, I guess he just wrote really, really small.

It's obviously got nothing to do with the topic, which, despite all his protests, he hasn't even bothered to address yet...

diamondsgirl
06-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Amen. I wrote Mr. Blair a friendly little email last night and expressed how proud of him I was... ;)

Can you imagine that kid having to go home and tell his parents that his face isn't "light enough" to be happy? I mean, shoes on the other feet, here's a great example - Hispanic children in my son's elementary school outnumber them say three to one, ish. And that's not to be taken that we live "on the bad side" or anything, or that we live in a particularly affluent area - it's just the way that it is because there's a large Hispanic population here. Never had any problem with it and most of his friends are Hispanic, most of them are pretty cool kids and we have a really awesome neighborhood community with them.

However, if somebody decided to paint my son's picture on a mural (for whatever reason) and then people started raising a bunch of shit because his skin tone wasn't "brown enough" and then the Principal of said school ordered that his skin be "darkened" for "artistic purposes" after people were driving by and yelling insults and a city council member took to the airwaves questioning why a white child was displayed prominently? I'd hit the roof, frankly.

I guess what we've learned from Prescott is that white means happier.

I was thinking the same thing about my town. It's just a very bad example all around.

And, another sad thing is that the whole original message of the mural will be lost as well.

bueno bob
06-05-2010, 02:14 PM
I was thinking the same thing about my town. It's just a very bad example all around.

And, another sad thing is that the whole original message of the mural will be lost as well.

Exactly. Unfortunately it's going to become a trigger topic for an ongoing race debate and the kids themselves are going to get caught right in the middle of it. In a city like Prescott, there's enough of that crap going on already without council members like Steve Blair taking to the airwaves to egg in on, but he has an established history of being on the fence about that sort of thing, anyway. I can't remember the exact quote for sure, but he showed up in print some time back saying "There's not a racist bone in my body, but I can't stand words like diversity, it makes me sick."

Well, I don't know. Maybe it's me, but I think that's kind of telling, especially considering his recent on air rants. Not surprisingly, he has no comment...

ELVIS
06-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Do you live in Prescott ??

bueno bob
06-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Do you live in Prescott ??

Again, does it matter?

PETE'S BROTHER
06-05-2010, 02:39 PM
so some want lighter faces, some want darker faces. why does one side get to be "right/correct'?

the mural is a transportation theme, not an ethnicity theme.

bueno bob
06-05-2010, 02:46 PM
so some want lighter faces, some want darker faces. why does one side get to be "right/correct'?

They were depictions of actual students at the school - as they appear in real life, I'd assume. That would make the original art the correct representation, right?

the mural is a transportation theme, not an ethnicity theme.

So you think, but apparently some angry white folks think otherwise - one of whom happens to sit on the city council.

Anonymous
06-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Even if it was NOT an actual depiction, if it was already painted black, why should it be bleached?

In other words, if it's done, why change it? Because some piece of shit feels "uncomfortable" with or "insulted" by it?

Change the fucker who doesn't like it - it's way better in the long run.

PETE'S BROTHER
06-05-2010, 02:57 PM
They were depictions of actual students at the school - as they appear in real life, I'd assume. That would make the original art the correct representation, right?

it still boils down to a dumbass debate over the amount of pigment used to paint a face on a wall.

PETE'S BROTHER
06-05-2010, 03:01 PM
So you think, but apparently some angry white folks think otherwise - one of whom happens to sit on the city council.

they could be angry nigerians yellin' and upset. maybe navaho indians. you're assuming its the entire poulation of scottish and german descendants?

PETE'S BROTHER
06-05-2010, 03:05 PM
i'm not tryin' to piss off bob or anyone else. just debating some different angles and perspectives.

PETE'S BROTHER
06-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Even if it was NOT an actual depiction, if it was already painted black, why should it be bleached?

In other words, if it's done, why change it? Because some piece of shit feels "uncomfortable" with or "insulted" by it?

Change the fucker who doesn't like it - it's way better in the long run.

amen. but that could be a very very long run.

ELVIS
06-05-2010, 03:21 PM
Again, does it matter?

Yes, because you're talking as if you know something about the place...

chefcraig
06-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Personally, as a parent I'd be more concerned that one of my kids wound up resembling Chet from Weird Science. Does Bill Paxton live in Arizona? http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-confused-smileys-718.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/Free-Innocent-Smileys/)

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/9722/chet2.jpg (http://img710.imageshack.us/i/chet2.jpg/)http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/685/chetdonnelly.jpg (http://img175.imageshack.us/i/chetdonnelly.jpg/)

bueno bob
06-05-2010, 03:29 PM
they could be angry nigerians yellin' and upset. maybe navaho indians. you're assuming its the entire poulation of scottish and german descendants?

Actually, I'm not assuming anything of the sort. Were that the case and angry Nigerians or Navajo indians were yelling and screaming about skin tone of paintings of white people, it'd be equally a problem. Although I do know for a fact that there are a lot of murals of white kids in south central and east L.A. and nobody really seems to make a stink it...however that is that and this is this...

The fact that a city council member took to the airwaves, apparently in support of racist pricks driving by and yelling out insults and racial slurs at CHILDREN painting this mural (along with adults), questioning why a non-white child was pictured prominently in it - well, that's quite clear. I'm sticking with the established facts. I don't for a second assume that an entire population of Scottish and German descendents feel that way about blacks or Hispanics (whichever), but Steve Blair obviously does. I think that should be obvious.

And obviously a problem. In my opinion, he should immediately resign his position and offer a direct apology to the child depicted and his parents.

bueno bob
06-05-2010, 03:34 PM

Do I have to actually LIVE there in order to "know something" about it? No.

But, for what it's worth, I've spent plenty of time in Arizona and have friends and family there that I visit semi-frequently. I know enough about it both from experience and from keeping abreast of local politics in certain cities and the whole state.

ELVIS
06-05-2010, 03:46 PM
umm hmmm...

bueno bob
06-05-2010, 03:59 PM
umm hmmm...

Whatever dude.

PETE'S BROTHER
06-05-2010, 04:11 PM

that's just a silly statement.

PETE'S BROTHER
06-06-2010, 12:42 AM
well, the dude got fired from his radio gig at least.

bueno bob
06-06-2010, 01:45 AM
He got a heck of a nice email from me, too...

"Dear Mr. Blair,

I was glad to see you hiding behind your studio microphone over the last month and doing your part to get those elementary kids' skin tone lightened up on that school mural. The fact that you jumped on the cultural sensitivity bandwagon from your secure location on the airwaves a month after the grown up, responsible and mature people of Prescott started shouting insults like "******" and "Spic" at the mural as they drove by really shows how brave you are and how far you're willing to stand up for those sorts of people and their convictions.

You should be proud of yourself! It takes a lot of courage to question why NON WHITE CHILDREN are pictured prominently in a work of art. But it's about time somebody put a stop to this "All people are created equal" crap, right? Hell, they're probably just illegals and border jumpers, so I guess in the end you'll probably be vindicated.

It is a bit unfortunate that you obviously don't recognize the difference between blacks and Hispanics, but I guess one NON WHITE race is as bad as another, right? Maybe it's because of that damn Obama guy that you're as confused as you are about that.

On the plus side, the Principal is at least slinging a pile of idiotic nonsense about how it's all about "shading" and has NOTHING to do with any, oh, POLITICAL PRESSURE. At least he's got your back.

Good for you, son! Nice to see that traditional racism, the aspect that made this country SO great in times past, is alive and well in your bones.

Have a great day and keep up the good work!"