PDA

View Full Version : Ozzy Osbourne & Tony Iommi Lawsuit Settled

bueno bob
06-05-2010, 07:20 PM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=141105

Ozzy Osbourne told The Pulse of Radio recently that a lawsuit between him and guitarist Tony Iommi over the use of the BLACK SABBATH name has been settled and that everything is now okay between them. With that cleared up, The Pulse of Radio asked Ozzy if there was once again a chance for the original SABBATH lineup to get together again. "Well, I never say never," he said. "I mean, I've got a few ideas, but we'll see what happens, you know. We did try and do another album, but we've all changed so much and it's — if you don't do an album that blows the doors off the last one that we did together, then it's gonna be looked upon as a joke, you know."

The original SABBATH lineup of Ozzy, Iommi, bassist Geezer Butler and drummer Bill Ward has not toured together since the summer of 2005, and last convened for their induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in early 2006.

The group did try to record a new album 11 years ago, their first since 1978, but abandoned the attempt after just a couple of songs.

Iommi and Butler have toured and recorded since 2007 with latter-day SABBATH singer Ronnie James Dio and drummer Vinny Appice under the name HEAVEN & HELL, until Dio's death last month from stomach cancer.

Ozzy will release a new solo album, called "Scream", on June 22 and headline Ozzfest later this summer.

Ozzy filed a lawsuit against Iommi in May 2009, claiming that Iommi illegally took sole ownership of the band's name in a filing with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

Osbourne sued Iommi for a 50 percent interest in the "Black Sabbath" trademark, along with a portion of Iommi's profits from use of the name.

The Manhattan federal court suit also charged that Osbourne's "signature lead vocals" are largely responsible for the band's "extraordinary success," noting that its popularity plummeted during his absence from 1980 through 1996.

Lawyer Andrew DeVore argued that Osbourne signed away all his rights to the BLACK SABBATH trademark after he quit the band in 1979.

Osbourne's lawyer, Howard Shire, called that agreement a "red herring" that was "repudiated" when the singer rejoined in 1997 and took over "quality control" of the band's merchandise, tours and recordings.

Well....here comes that Black Sabbath reunion we've all been waiting for....

God, now I miss Ronnie even more. :(

Hardrock69
06-05-2010, 09:13 PM
So how did they settle the cash grab er....I mean 'lawsuit'? I mean, fuck all, Ozzy and his gunt have all the millions they need. And I had heard even back in the 80s that Ozzy signed away all rights to the name.
Fucking idiot.
While he was off being Ozzy Osbourne during the 80s and the first part of the 90s, it was Tony (and his record labels) who kept the name Black Sabbath in the public eye, while Ozzy ignored it entirely.

Why does he not name the new fucking album "GREED"?
http://i50.tinypic.com/10gi4if.jpg

bueno bob
06-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Seems fitting, doesn't it?

I don't know but...much as it pains me to admit it, I'd imagined Sharon lawyered up a lot better than Tony did, and I'd imagine Tony had to bite the bullet pretty hard before Sharon took her bulldogs off of him.

I'd like to be able to wax poetic about how Ronnie's passing kinda put things into perspective for all of them, but...I dunno...

Frankly, I'm of the opinion that "Radio City Music Hall" and "The Devil You Know" should be reprinted as BLACK SABBATH albums and Iommi, Butler and Appice should get Ian Gillan or Tony Martin back into the fold and tell Ozzy to go piss up a wet rope with all of Sharon's new found cash, honestly.

Hardrock69
06-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Hey, Ozzy does not need the name "Black Sabbath" at all, that's for sure.

bueno bob
06-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Hey, Ozzy does not need the name "Black Sabbath" at all, that's for sure.

Definitely not. He made a far better living as a solo artist then he ever did fronting Sabbath, even in it's heyday. The only time he ever got interested in Sabbath's profits was when Sabbath suddenly became profitable again. Imagine that.

sonrisa salvaje
06-05-2010, 09:53 PM
I wonder how this will affect Iommi if he does want to get Tony Martin back in and do another Sabbath record? Does Ozzy get a percentage for doing nothing? I would love to see the stipulations of the lawsuit verdict. Personally, i want to see another Sabbath record with just about any singer except for Glenn Hughes.

bueno bob
06-05-2010, 09:58 PM
I wonder how this will affect Iommi if he does want to get Tony Martin back in and do another Sabbath record? Does Ozzy get a percentage for doing nothing? I would love to see the stipulations of the lawsuit verdict. Personally, i want to see another Sabbath record with just about any singer except for Glenn Hughes.

I'm right there with you on that. Tony Martin or Ian Gillan would be choice #1 for me, and beyond that Ozzy or (God forbid) a new singer, I guess...but I definitely do NOT want Glenn Hughes and his nasally nonsense polluting another Sabbath album...screw that noise.

You know, I don't remember the exact details of the lawsuit, but I think it was mostly revolving around merchandising. Wise enough, I guess, considering bands make fuckall on album sales anymore.

But, you know, Tony Martin's been trying REALLY, REALLY hard to get his "Headless Cross" band off of the ground (and failing pretty miserably, by the looks of things). Based on that, I'd be willing to bet good money that he'd be at Tony's house with bells on if his phone happened to ring.

I myself always loved the Tony Martin era and wouldn't mind seeing another album and tour with him at the mic, not at all.

lesfunk
06-05-2010, 10:26 PM
I feel that It might be best to just let the whole Sabbath thing rest.
Man I really have negative feelings for Osbourne.
No disrespect for Tony Martin but really... That would be a bad idea.
At this point it's really Ozzy or nobody and I'd prefer nobody.

bueno bob
06-05-2010, 10:37 PM
Well...Rob Halford's always been a good go-to "emergency" guy...if we were going to put Sabbath to bed forever (God, I hate the reality of that!!!), maybe we could at least get Tony Iommi and Rob Halford to team up or something...or maybe better yet, Tony and Phil Anselmo, I remember there being some talk of that a few years back...

Regardless, if Tony Martin did come back, I doubt seriously that Geezer or Vinny would stay around long, which basically places Sabbath right back where they were from the mid 80s to the mid 90s with the brief tour of duty with Ronnie in 1991-1992 being the exception...

Well, what about this? Rob Halford joins HEAVEN & HELL and pulls double duty with Priest? Now THAT I could live with...

Anonymous
06-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Well...Rob Halford's always been a good go-to "emergency" guy...if we were going to put Sabbath to bed forever (God, I hate the reality of that!!!), maybe we could at least get Tony Iommi and Rob Halford to team up or something...or maybe better yet, Tony and Phil Anselmo, I remember there being some talk of that a few years back...

Regardless, if Tony Martin did come back, I doubt seriously that Geezer or Vinny would stay around long, which basically places Sabbath right back where they were from the mid 80s to the mid 90s with the brief tour of duty with Ronnie in 1991-1992 being the exception...

Well, what about this? Rob Halford joins HEAVEN & HELL and pulls double duty with Priest? Now THAT I could live with...

That'd be beautiful, but he is pushing 60 & wearing so much leather he can hardly stand. No way he could do both jobs, not these days.

I saw them last year - or was it this year? I'm too old for this remembering shit... - and all I could think about was Spinal Tap. It WAS a bit too Spinal Tapey...

Cheers! :bottle:

lesfunk
06-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Of course I still want to hear music from Iommi, Butler, et al but The time is right for Sabbath to end.
Right at the top where they deserve to be.
We all know that no one is going to improve upon what they accomplished with Ronnie and I know damn well that Ozzy has nothing positive to add to Sabbath's legacy.
Maybe Tony Iommi would do something very good with Halford but not under the Sabbath banner.
I don't want it to end at all but it actually already has.

bueno bob
06-05-2010, 10:53 PM
That'd be beautiful, but he is pushing 60 & wearing so much leather he can hardly stand. No way he could do both jobs, not these days.

I saw them last year - or was it this year? I'm too old for this remembering shit... - and all I could think about was Spinal Tap. It WAS a bit too Spinal Tapey...

Cheers! :bottle:

Well, Geezer Butler has his solo band with Pedro Howse, Deen Castronovo and Clark Brown...Tony Iommi has his solo gig with Glenn Hughes...Rob Halford does solo stuff too...all of these guys have multiple projects they're involved with outside of their bread and butter band, so if Rob was to shelve the solo band a while, I don't really see any reason why Heaven & Hell couldn't just be his off-year project away from Priest and Tony and Geezer couldn't continue to do their solo projects while Rob was doing his day job...

I mean, I guess it's possible to a degree. I never did get a chance to see Heaven & Hell live, but I REALLY enjoyed The Devil You Know and would certainly like to see that kind of musical output continue. On top of that, I think a guy like Rob Halford could really do a good job of it and help it continue on as a kind of living memorial (of sorts) to Ronnie and his music.

I certainly don't think Ronnie would be opposed to it...fuck, he'd probably applaud it...

At any rate, it's actually going to be pretty interesting to see what Tony and Geezer (and Ozzy) decide to do at this point. With Ozzy's new solo album about to drop, I doubt seriously he's going to abandon promoting that on the road just to go back into the studio and try and figure out how to work with Tony and Geezer again...

Let's face facts - Bill Ward is also a liability...the guy's health is in the toilet...

Hardrock69
06-06-2010, 12:23 AM
Well, in the short term, Halford IS going to do two gigs with H & H. I would imagine one or both will be recorded/filmed for release. Even if not, there will be so many fuckers in the audience videotaping it will be out on bootleg within the following 24 hours.

Panamark
06-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Well, in the short term, Halford IS going to do two gigs with H & H. I would imagine one or both will be recorded/filmed for release. Even if not, there will be so many fuckers in the audience videotaping it will be out on bootleg within the following 24 hours.

Hey, no kidding ??

So its all official ? (Halford has agreed ?)

Hopefully as a tribute to RJD ??

Agree with Lesfunk on this one, they should retire Black Sabbath
or attempt a reunion album with Ozzy, but scrap it, if its not up
to scratch. Obviously the lawsuit became irrelevant with DIO's passing.
Sad but true.

Hardrock69
06-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Have not heard from Halford as to his agreement, but I saw an official announcement (might have been on the Facebook page).

In fact, I have not yet seen any statement at all from Halford about Ronnie's passing, though I know they were close friends.

Hardrock69
06-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Have not heard from Halford as to his agreement, but I saw an official announcement (might have been on the Facebook page).

In fact, I have not yet seen any statement at all from Halford about Ronnie's passing, though I know they were close friends.

Terry
06-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Well, I will agree with Ozzy that it is pointless for the original Sabbath lineup to reform for the purposes of recording and releasing new music if said music isn't gonna match up to what came before it.

As to the rest of it, regardless of the legalities of the whole biz, the fact is anyone confusing what RJD and Vinnie were doing with the band in the last several years with what the original Sabbath did is a retard. Not saying which is better than the other, but it hardly seems likely that much of the stuff which transpired under the name "Black Sabbath" after Ozzy left "damaged the name brand" any worse than the original lineup's last couple of studio albums.

It is true that Osbourne doesn't need to link his name with Black Sabbath in order to make money. That has been the case since the early 1980s.

All of it smacked of having Ozzy's wife's greed running as an undercurrent through all of it.

Hardrock69
06-07-2010, 12:07 AM
Heh.....the dupe post bug has not been fixed apparently.

jhale667
06-07-2010, 01:19 AM
I was just thinking now both of the best singers Sabbath ever had (in any incarnation) are gone. :( Ronnie and Ray Gillen (whose parts Tony Martin re-recorded note-for-note on the Eternal Idol).

Terry
06-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Weakest part of both Classic Sabbath AND (funny enough) Early Ozzy solo material (really the only solo Ozzy stuff worth listening to, say, up until BATM...the rest isn't really all THAT essential) has always been Ozzy's voice.

However, I can't imagine anyone else singing the stuff. Have heard Dio and Ian G both try and do early Sabbath stuff live, and it just doesn't sound right.

Hardrock69
06-08-2010, 01:15 AM
Early Ozzy had a sort of 'haunted doom' tone to his voice that fit the music and the vibe perfectly. Though Dio, etc. were by far the superior vocalists, only Ozzy had that tone.

bueno bob
06-08-2010, 01:22 AM
Honestly, if you could take genetic samples from Ozzy Osbourne and Ronnie James Dio, you'd probably have the perfect Black Sabbath singer...

binnie
06-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Its pretty damn sad that great bands end like this - two guys with unimaginable amounts of money squabbling. A new Sabbath album, if done correctly, would be interesting. Can't say I'd be particuarly stoked to hear Tony Martin, but Halford would be interesting...

Seshmeister
06-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Honestly, if you could take genetic samples from Ozzy Osbourne and Ronnie James Dio, you'd probably have the perfect Black Sabbath singer...

Or you may end up with Norm Peterson...