PDA

View Full Version : VIVIAN CAMPBELL Performs DEF LEPPARD, THIN LIZZY Classics At California Club

Jagermeister
06-08-2010, 11:39 AM
SIR SODOFF & THE TRAIN WRECKS, the new band fronted by DEF LEPPARD/THIN LIZZY guitarist Vivian Campbell, played a show this past Friday, June 4 at Harpers in Tarzana, California.

Fan-filmed video footage of the concert can be viewed below.

SIR SODOFF & THE TRAIN WRECKS is:

Vivian Campbell - Guitar/Vocals
Lou Castro - Bass
Michael Fell - Harmonica
Kara Grainger - Guitar/Vocals
Glen Sobel - Drums

Vivian Campbell recently joined the latest reincarnation of THIN LIZZY — this time with THE ALMIGHTY frontman Ricky Warwick at the helm.

Campbell and Warwick join THIN LIZZY alumni Scott Gorham, Brian Downey and Darren Wharton. Also on board is former WHITESNAKE bassist Marco Mendoza.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X6CS7Rc6cW0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X6CS7Rc6cW0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WyTLvNkCe0g&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WyTLvNkCe0g&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w0zK2S-U-Cc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w0zK2S-U-Cc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Hardrock69
06-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Loser....

indeedido
06-08-2010, 02:34 PM
He's a far stretch from the Vivian that was in Dio

Catfish
06-08-2010, 03:11 PM
He's not with Def Leppard anymore?

They went to shit as soon as he joined the band. Although I did enjoy several tracks on Retroactive (if any of them were his), and I dug the hell out of Songs From the Sparkle Lounge.

Diamondjimi
06-08-2010, 08:23 PM
Sings like a sissy bitch. Well, at least he's finally got his own band.

Maybe he can line up a co-headlining pub tour with Bad News! :lmao:

Terry
06-08-2010, 09:10 PM
He really IS a far throw from what he was in Dio.

Around late 1983-early 1985, he and Malmsteen were right up there in my own top 5 rock guitar players I was listening to at the time.

Sadly, Campbell decided to take his talents (which were developing by leaps and bounds) and pimp them out...first to the Whitesnake 1987/1988 touring band (where he and Vandenburg took turns trying to ape Gary Moore-style solos inbetween duplicating Syke's licks), then eventually ended up with Def Leppard of all groups.

Now he's diddling around with the remnants of Thin Lizzy?

Seems Ronnie James Dio was on the mark when he referred to Campbell as an asshole.

jhale667
06-08-2010, 11:23 PM
To be fair, he grew up idolizing Lizzy, so I can kinda see why he did it - plus who better to cop Sykes licks than the only other Gary Moore influenced guy besides Doug Aldrich, who's currently doing the Whitesnake thing? And he was a fave of mine too..so much so that when I went back to re-learn "The Last in Line" for this tribute gig next month..found I still remember it...;) it's like, ingrained. LOL! But I remember seeing them on The Last in Line tour and as great as he was then, Dokken was the opening act, and Lynch just destroyed him. The non-guitar player kids didn't know any better, and Vivan's guitar fortunately had lights in it when it was time for his solo it lit up and everyone went "Ooooooo!" :biggrin:
Did Leppard break up or something?

Diamondjimi
06-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Did Leppard break up or something?

Oh "god" pleeeeeeeeease make this is true!!!!!!! :biggrin:

twonabomber
06-08-2010, 11:57 PM
WTF, he couldn't play one of "his" Def Leppard songs?

Although I did enjoy several tracks on Retroactive (if any of them were his).

i like Retroactive, and i even think Slang has its moments.

Hardrock69
06-08-2010, 11:58 PM
Wait a minute....the thread title says something about him playing "Def Leppard and Thin Lizzy classics...."

Thin Lizzy had some classics.

What classics has Dead Leper come up with? None that I am aware of....

Catfish
06-09-2010, 12:04 AM
WTF, he couldn't play one of "his" Def Leppard songs?

i like Retroactive, and i even think Slang has its moments.

You didn't like Sparkle Lounge? I found it had everything I come to expect from a Def Leppard record.

Maybe that was the problem! :biggrin:

sadaist
06-09-2010, 12:10 AM
Wait a minute....the thread title says something about him playing "Def Leppard and Thin Lizzy classics...."

Thin Lizzy had some classics.

What classics has Dead Leper come up with? None that I am aware of....

I hope you mean AFTER Hysteria.

Hysteria & before I fucking LOVE Def Leppard. Yeah, that's right. I dig Hysteria. Pyromania is in my top 3 albums of all time.

As for Vivian. I just never took to him in Def Lep. He may be a great dude & player, but he just doesn't fit them for me.

twonabomber
06-09-2010, 12:10 AM
You didn't like Sparkle Lounge? I found it had everything I come to expect from a Def Leppard record.

Maybe that was the problem! :biggrin:

i didn't even download Sparkle Lounge. should i?

i did buy Elliot's Mick Ronson tribute disc, Cybernauts. that's pretty good too, but it's only him and Collen with a couple of the Spiders.

As for Vivian. I just never took to him in Def Lep. He may be a great dude & player, but he just doesn't fit them for me.

Campbell's been in DL a lot longer than i thought he would be.

indeedido
06-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Pyro, On through the night and high and dry rocked. all the others after, not.

Hardrock69
06-09-2010, 09:31 AM
Not saying they were not some decent albums. But will they be discussed in 100 years, like Hendrix, Zep, The Who, The Stones?

Naaaaa

ELVIS
06-09-2010, 10:19 AM
High And Dry is a great album and On Through The Night has good songs...

Diamondjimi
06-09-2010, 04:48 PM
High And Dry is a great album and On Through The Night has good songs...

That's the beginning and the end of DL for me. After those 2 albums, everything they released was pure bubble gum SHITE!

Pete Willis was (and still is) the most talented fucker associated with the band. The sumbitch could rip like Schenker/Blackmore. I've got a bootleg from '81, and the little fucker simply rips and gave so much balls to their music. Too bad he had to go....
They can piss off and play pubs for all I care. Maybe Viv the smelly Irishman can open for them with his band of crack musicians... :lmao:

Catfish
06-09-2010, 04:52 PM
i didn't even download Sparkle Lounge. should i?

Absolutely. If you look at DL as a guilty pleasure (as I do) you'll like it. There's a lot of good songs on there.

Jagermeister
06-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Absolutely. If you look at DL as a guilty pleasure (as I do) you'll like it. There's a lot of good songs on there.

I saw them live recently and I was not happy with the show at all. Poison put on a better show that DL did. I was really bummed cause I had never seen them before.

Hardrock69
06-09-2010, 10:11 PM
I saw them live recently and I was not happy with the show at all. Poison put on a better show that DL did.

Gee, that's not saying a whole lot, is it?

Catfish
06-09-2010, 10:40 PM
I am uncomfortable with all of this Def Leppard hate :(

Terry
06-09-2010, 11:04 PM
Fuck those pudknocking Leppard bitches.

bueno bob
06-10-2010, 02:29 AM
Dear Vivian,

FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,

The World of Rock Music and it's Fans