PDA

View Full Version : British Petroleum's Fantastic Record of Safety

Nickdfresh
06-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Leaked Reports Expose BP's Safety Record
A damning investigation by ProPublica finds a pattern of neglect and corner-cutting at the oil giant.

Boats battle to put out a fire on the Deepwater Horizon oil rig on April 21, 2010--the day after it exploded, killing 11

BP repeatedly disregarded safety problems, according to a new damning investigation from ProPublica that was copublished with The Washington Post. Documents about internal safety investigations leaked to ProPublica by "a person close to the company" show a pattern of neglect and a culture skewed toward silencing whistle-blowers.

The investigations described instances in which management flouted safety by neglecting aging equipment, pressured employees not to report problems, and cut short or delayed inspections to reduce production costs.

The first set of reports center on the firm's Alaska operations, and were put together by an internal committee and external lawyers in 2001, 2004, and 2007. The 2004 report found "a pattern of the company intimidating workers who raised safety or environmental concerns," and that "managers shaved maintenance costs by using aging equipment for as long as possible." In 2006, the report points out, the 200,000 Prudhoe Bay pipeline spill was blamed on a corroded pipeline.

But the problems extended further than Alaska. In 2002 the firm was found to be falsifying inspections of fuel storage tanks in California. They settled a lawsuit by the South Coast Air Quality Management District for $100 million.

In 2005, the ProPublica report found, an investigation into an explosion at a Texas City refinery which killed 15 people concluded that "significant process safety issues exist at all five U.S. refineries, not just Texas City." In a pattern that now seems familiar, a BP spokesperson at the time said it would update its safety systems. "But last year, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration fined the firm $87 million for not improving safety at that same Texas plant."

NEWSWEEK's Michael Isikoff and Michael Hirsh reported last month that Environmental Protection Agency investigators had wanted to charge top corporate officers who, "they were convinced, had knowledge of the safety deficiencies at Texas City and failed to take corrective action." That request was turned down by the Bush Justice Department -- part of a pattern of lax oversight. As the NEWSWEEK report noted, BP has spent tens of millions on lobbying while it fends off accusations about poor safety practices.

An investigation into the Prudhoe leak in Alaska was thwarted when BP responded to a subpoena with 62 million pages of documents -- a familiar tactic designed to observe the letter of the law while making it hard for investigators to get any real information, according to the NEWSWEEK report. When EPA special agents continued to pursue the action despite this, they were stopped -- this time by federal prosecutors seeking a wider deal with BP.

The damning revelations, and regulatory failures, go on, as the new ProPublica piece found. Right up to Deepwater Horizon, where "sensors and their shutoff systems were not operating," and a "backstop mechanism that should have prevented the engines from running wild apparently failed -- and so did the air-intake valves that were supposed to close if gas entered the engine room." A mechanic also testified that "the engine room wasn't equipped with a gas alarm system that could have shut off the power."

On April 20 the rig exploded, killing 11 people. And we all know what happened after that.

Newsweek (http://www.newsweek.com/2010/06/08/new-report-reveals-bp-s-long-history-of-safety-problems.html)

jhale667
06-08-2010, 03:26 PM
No, Nick - it was "human error" haven't you heard? :hee:

Nickdfresh
06-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Although some may want to praise BP for its handling of the spill, in Houston we know the painful context of BP's response.

It hides an ugly track record, a history of worker deaths, unprecedented fines, a felony guilty plea and 760 “willful, egregious safety violations” documented by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

OSHA just last year found new violations at BP's refinery near Toledo, Ohio, that it warned bore a disturbing similarity to those that resulted in many of the deaths and injuries from an explosion at its Texas City refinery five years ago.

During the same period BP racked up those violations, Exxon Mobil — the bane of environmentalists and still widely loathed for the Valdez disaster — logged only one in its refineries.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/steffy/7037722.html

Jagermeister
06-08-2010, 03:33 PM

LOL of for fuck sakes.

Oil company BP had three indications of trouble aboard the doomed drill rig Deepwater Horizon in the hour before the April 20 explosion that sank the offshore platform, congressional investigators reported Tuesday.

Witnesses reported the well was spurting liquid and pressure tests indicated "a very large abnormality" was occurring aboard the rig, according to a memo released by the House Energy and Commerce Committee on Tuesday afternoon. The memo summarizes preliminary findings of BP's own investigation into the disaster, which left 11 workers dead and uncapped an undersea gusher that has spewed crude oil into the Gulf of Mexico for a month.

The well unexpectedly spouted fluid three times in the 51 minutes before the explosion and pressure on the drill pipe "unexpectedly increased" before the blast, the memo states.

And the report found that other events aboard the rig "require further inquiry," including an unexpected loss of drilling fluid five hours before the explosion that suggested a leak in the blowout preventer -- a critical piece of equipment that has failed to shut down the well. BP's investigation "raised concerns about the maintenance history, modification, inspection, and testing" of the blowout preventer, the document states.

Seshmeister
06-08-2010, 04:44 PM

I thought it was Obama who done it.

Igosplut
06-08-2010, 04:50 PM
I read today that congress "vowed" to repeal the law that prevents the family's of the eleven killed from being able to bring lawsuits against BP anytime after ninety days... Can't find a link, but we'll see how far that gets....

jhale667
06-08-2010, 04:51 PM

That's like a Republican six degrees thing...

Well, they were worried about the fact that he's President, so technically they were distracted...and then...:biggrin:

There were multiple advance warnings, apparently. And they were ignored. Drill baby drill and all...

What about the "skirmish" that supposedly broke out on the rig because the workers wanted to shut it down while they still COULD and got OVERRULED by the brass...?

Seshmeister
06-08-2010, 05:09 PM
What about the "skirmish" that supposedly broke out on the rig because the workers wanted to shut it down while they still COULD and got OVERRULED by the brass...?

I imagine that when that story came out was the exact moment James Cameron started working on the movie script...

Seshmeister
06-08-2010, 05:15 PM
I read today that congress "vowed" to repeal the law that prevents the family's of the eleven killed from being able to bring lawsuits against BP anytime after ninety days... Can't find a link, but we'll see how far that gets....

As the article mentions oil companies are like John fucking Grisham baddies when it comes to this.

The families may get a couple of million in about 12 years time if they settle and promise to wear I ♥ BP t-shirts for the rest of their lives.

Igosplut
06-08-2010, 06:50 PM
As the article mentions oil companies are like John fucking Grisham baddies when it comes to this.

The families may get a couple of million in about 12 years time if they settle and promise to wear I ♥ BP t-shirts for the rest of their lives.

AND the US government fully supports that position. Fuckin sad..

Starwood
06-08-2010, 07:30 PM
It really doesn't matter. BP will declare BK.

Blaze
06-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Will declare BK what? Gay?
http://www.thirdwayblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/bk_brooke.jpg

BigBadBrian
06-09-2010, 07:48 AM

No, it was just his Administration that "gundecked" (a Navy term meaning falsifying preventive maintenance checks) all the safety checks on rigs such as this. I wonder if the fact that BP donated more to the Obama campaign than even any Republican had anything to do with this?

Nickdfresh
06-09-2010, 08:10 AM
No, it was just his Administration that "gundecked" (a Navy term meaning falsifying preventive maintenance checks) all the safety checks on rigs such as this.

Of course! That's what presidents do! They personally check the safety record of each rig. Are you really this retarded?

I wonder if the fact that BP donated more to the Obama campaign than even any Republican had anything to do with this?

Probably not. And WTF are you trying to say with the rest of that sentence?

ELVIS
06-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Maybe that that's the reason Obama is sucking BP's dick ??

Seshmeister
06-09-2010, 11:34 AM
No, it was just his Administration that "gundecked" (a Navy term meaning falsifying preventive maintenance checks) all the safety checks on rigs such as this. I wonder if the fact that BP donated more to the Obama campaign than even any Republican had anything to do with this?

Does the fact that corporations back both sides not tell you something about your system?

Anyhoo if it was any politicians fault it was your pal Cheney who changed the system of regulation.

Igosplut
06-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Does the fact that corporations back both sides not tell you something about your system?

Yes.. Regardless of the party, big money is the guiding force. For every Dem or Repub that lashes out at the other, at the end of the day it's corporations like BP that own the people in power in this country. BOTH party's.

jhale667
06-09-2010, 01:17 PM

Anyhoo if it was any politicians fault it was your pal Cheney who changed the system of regulation.

There you go confounding him with LOGIC again... ;)

BigBadBrian
06-09-2010, 01:38 PM
There you go confounding him with LOGIC again... ;)

Do you even have a GED, kkkhale667?

jhale667
06-09-2010, 01:42 PM
What (besides wishful thinking) would make you think I hadn't graduated high school, pray tell BigBlandBitch? :biggrin:

BigBadBrian
06-09-2010, 01:46 PM
What (besides wishful thinking) would make you think I hadn't graduated high school, pray tell BigBlandBitch? :biggrin:

Your lack of critical thinking skills, kkkhale667.

jhale667
06-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Your lack of critical thinking skills

And still I best you daily...what does that say about YOU, braintrust? :lol:

Nitro Express
06-10-2010, 03:52 AM

Your system as well. This is not just a US problem. I'm sure the Monarchy, House of Lords, and House of Commons members all have nice tidy sums from BP.

Nitro Express
06-10-2010, 04:00 AM
Yes.. Regardless of the party, big money is the guiding force. For every Dem or Repub that lashes out at the other, at the end of the day it's corporations like BP that own the people in power in this country. BOTH party's.

This is the major problem and how do we fix it? Clean house this November and get rid of Obama and replace him with a president that represents the people and not the corporations and banks. Easier said than down because the big corporate money basically eliminates the smaller funded candidates from having any chance of winning. Boycott the business that buy off politicians. A national strike? It amazes me people still buy gas at a BP station when there are other alternatives. Even in states where the oil is now landing on the pristine white sand beaches. Fuck the federal government and make the states or groups of states independent countries after they get fed up with business as usual? State succession seems like a laughable idea even a few months ago but I have been in state political meetings where this is actually being discussed as a serious option of last resort. People are getting tired of business as usual as their savings and lively hoods get pummeled and the greedy bastard openly talk about screwing us more.

BigBadBrian
06-10-2010, 07:20 AM
And still I best you daily...what does that say about YOU, braintrust? :lol:

You have an incorrect, illogical statement, kkkhale667. Try again, and try to come up with something you haven't used a dozen times before.

Seshmeister
06-10-2010, 08:34 AM
Your system as well. This is not just a US problem. I'm sure the Monarchy, House of Lords, and House of Commons members all have nice tidy sums from BP.

Some of them pick up directorships in corporations but they don't need to raise the campaign funds for TV adverts which is the curse of the US system.

At the last election a few weeks back the combined spending for all the parties to elect all of the MPs and the PM would be less than $30 million which is about a third of what you need just to become a senator in California.