PDA

View Full Version : 50% of posters here currently have parasites eating their face

Seshmeister
06-09-2010, 04:40 AM
Factoid of the day - i don't think a lot of people know this....

Demodex folliculorum and Demodex brevis

Demodex folliculorum and Demodex brevis are typically found on humans. It is extremely rare to see a human infected with a different species of mite, such as Demodex canis, though a few instances have occurred. D. folliculorum was first described in 1842 by Simon; D. brevis was identified as separate in 1963 by Akbulatova. D. folliculorum is found in hair follicles, while D. brevis lives in sebaceous glands connected to hair follicles. Both species are primarily found in the face, near the nose, the eyelashes and eyebrows, but also occur elsewhere on the body.

The adult mites are only between 0.3 mm and 0.4 mm long, with D. brevis slightly shorter than D. folliculorum. They have a semi-transparent elongated body that consists of two fused segments. Eight short segmented legs are attached to the first body segment. The body is covered with scales for anchoring itself in the hair follicle, and the mite has pin-like mouth-parts for eating skin-cells, hormones and oils (sebum) which accumulate in the hair follicles. The mite's digestive system is so efficient and results in so little waste that there is no excretory orifice. The mites can leave the hair follicles and slowly walk around on the skin, at a speed of about 8–16 cm/hour, especially at night; they try to avoid light.

Female Demodex folliculorum are somewhat shorter and rounder than males. Both male and female Demodex mites have a genital opening, and fertilization is internal. Mating takes place in the follicle opening, and eggs are laid inside the hair follicles or sebaceous glands. The six-legged larvae hatch after 3–4 days, and it takes about seven days for the larvae to develop into adults. The total lifespan of a Demodex mite is several weeks. The dead mites decompose inside the hair follicles or sebaceous glands.

Older people are much more likely to carry the mites; it is estimated that about 1/3 of children and young adults, 1/2 of adults, and 2/3 of elderly people carry the mites. The lower rate of children may be due to the fact that children produce much less sebum. It is quite easy to look for one's own Demodex mites, by carefully removing an eyelash or eyebrow hair and placing it under a microscope.

The mites are transferred between hosts through contact of hair, eyebrows and of the sebaceous glands on the nose. Different species of animals host different species of demodex; and demodex is not contagious between different species.

In the vast majority of cases, the mites go unobserved, without any adverse symptoms, but in certain cases (usually related to a suppressed immune system, caused by stress or illness) mite populations can dramatically increase, resulting in a condition known as demodicosis or Demodex mite bite, characterised by itching, inflammation and other skin disorders. Blepharitis (inflammation of the eyelids) can also be caused by Demodex mites.

There is some evidence linking demodex mites to some forms of the skin disease rosacea, possibly due to the bacterium Bacillus oleronius found in the mites.

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/esa/jme/1986/00000023/00000004/art00009

Candy Girl
06-09-2010, 05:37 AM
I have a microscope at work. Do you think I'm going to check and see if I have mites? Nooooooo. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Talk about letting the "little things" getting to you, lol.

Seshmeister
06-09-2010, 06:12 AM
Do it!

ThrillsNSpills
06-09-2010, 06:47 AM
what happened to the dreaded swine flu?

Seshmeister
06-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Medicine beat it despite the attempts of the anti-vaccine retards.

The strain wasn't quite as bad as expected because Mexican public health authorities are shit and misreported the spread and fatality of early cases.

Still killed thousands though.

Candy Girl
06-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Medicine beat it despite the attempts of the anti-vaccine retards.

The strain wasn't quite as bad as expected because Mexican public health authorities are shit and misreported the spread and fatality of early cases.

Still killed thousands though.
As happens every flu season without a particular "pandemic" called. This is an interesting piece I read not long ago:

More swine flu hysteria apologism
“a stunning public health success”
January 21st, 2010
Michael Fumento

In response to my Philadelphia Inquirer piece “Swine Flu Epidemic Ends with a Whimper,” predictably public health community members have squealed that the only reason the disease proved so mild is because of their own Herculean efforts. I saw the same thing with heterosexual AIDS and SARS. So it was that Steven J. Barrer, M.D. wrote to the newspaper:

"Michael Fumento’s assertion that the swine flu epidemic predicted for this flu season was a medical scandal ignores the enormous effort of the country’s public-health sector to mitigate the potential seriousness of this disease.Vaccine production was accelerated, public education was aggressive, and awareness was heightened worldwide. Every physician I know made an effort to educate patients. Fumento also belittles simple efforts such as hand sanitizer, but that, and frequent hand-washing, muffling sneezes in your arm rather than hand, and minimizing casual physical contact, are widely credited with reducing the spread of contagious disease. They are among the efforts hospitals are using, successfully, to reduce their infection rates. Diseases don’t go away. We just get better at dealing with them. I consider the mildness of this flu season a stunning public-health success."

Yet as my piece noted the epidemic peaked in mid-October, before anybody was vaccinated. It also observed that Australia and New Zealand had remarkably mild epidemics that ended before any vaccine was available.

Hand sanitizer and handwashing appears to have no impact on the spread of flu, as this article discusses. I found a recent medical journal article claiming to show that it does help, but when you actually look at their data you see they provided good evidence that it does not. If that’s the best they can do, it tells you something.

Handwashing was basically thrown at the public as a talisman and because, lacking a vaccine, the public health community and especially the CDC felt it had to offer something for the public to do, even if it was worthless. (Also, handwashing does protect against colds and food poisoning.)

In light of this, it’s hard to see how mealy-mouthed terms like “aggressiveness” and “awareness” played any role. The simple fact, as I took great pains to note, is that swine flu has a vastly milder impact on the immune system than seasonal flu. I’ve even explained why, that we’ve been exposed to H1N1 viruses as part of the seasonal flu since 1997. That also explains why children are disproportionately affected. Where did I first write this? In the pages of the Philadelphia Inquirer.

So that’s it. End of ball game. The WHO knew the score when it declared its pandemic. And doctors like Barrer could have known this because they had access to the same medical literature that I had access to in which fatality rates were compared – and he had access to my previous Philly Inquirer piece that also discussed these rates. I did Barrer’s research for him.

Finally, diseases obviously do just go away. Every year, in countries with or with flu vaccine, in times before vaccines existed, influenza has struck, crested, and then faded away. What did medical science do to make the Spanish flu disappear in 1919?

Public health has done many wonderful things in this country. How much do you worry about smallpox, malaria, tuberculosis, yellow fever, or any number of other diseases that used to sweep through this country periodically like a scythe? But the swine flu hoax is a serious black eye – as was hetero AIDS, SARS, and most recently avian flu – and no amount of wriggling and rationalization will change that.

http://www.pandemicfluonline.com/?p=1774#more-1774

Seshmeister
06-09-2010, 02:36 PM
It's an odd thing to moan about.

I wonder if he has any fire or theft insurance on his house...

Igosplut
06-09-2010, 05:40 PM
50% of posters here currently have parasites eating their face ]

Trouble is, their not eating fast enough on some posters.....

lesfunk
06-09-2010, 06:10 PM
...Have Parasites???? I am a parasite!

chefcraig
06-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Animal Planet TV has a show on each week about this sort of stuff. It really is disturbing to watch. MONSTERS INSIDE ME (http://animal.discovery.com/tv/monsters-inside-me/)

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/7453/monstersinsideme.jpg (http://img809.imageshack.us/i/monstersinsideme.jpg/)

ThrillsNSpills
06-09-2010, 07:42 PM
disturbing indeed chef. there's a real treat called parasite eats boy's eye.

anyone got any popcorn?

nasty