PDA

View Full Version : Thom Yorke: Major Labels Are a "Sinking Ship"

Jagermeister
06-10-2010, 03:09 PM
By Daniel Kreps
Jun 09, 2010 9:42 AM EDT

Thom Yorke's advice to aspiring young musicians: Release music yourself without the help of a major record label. The Radiohead frontman granted a rare interview to the authors of the textbook The Rax Active Citizenship Toolkit , which aims to get high school students more politically involved, and stated that it was "only a matter of time — months rather than years — before the music business establishment completely folds," The London Evening Standard reports. In his interview, Yorke also doled out some advice to students considering a future in music, advising them not sign a major label contract and instead venture out on their own. "I guess I would say, don't tie yourself to the sinking ship because, believe me, it's sinking," Yorke said.

Yorke's comments echo those of Radiohead bandmate Ed O'Brien, who as a leading member of the Featured Artists Coalition is seeking more protection for musicians' rights and more control of their own work. "He is involved in trying to build a world where artists would finally get paid," Yorke told the authors of the textbook. "But we are up against the self-protecting interests of that industry."

After releasing six albums on major label EMI — from Radiohead's 1993 debut Pablo Honey through 2003's Hail to the Thief — the band went through a bitter split with the label when their contract expired and renegotiations stalled. Instead of resigning with EMI — who have also seen the Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney leave after the company was purchased by equity firm Terra Firma — Radiohead instead opted to self-release their last album In Rainbows, famously devising a "pay what you want" method that allowed fans to put a price on the album. When it came time to physically release In Rainbows to the masses, Radiohead inked with TBD Records, an offshoot of Dave Matthews' ATO Records.

As Rolling Stone previously reported, Radiohead's publishers revealed that the band made more money from the pre-release of In Rainbows (including the combined sales of the "pay what you want" and boxed set options) than they made on their last major label album Hail to the Thief — in total. Despite essentially giving away their album for free two months prior to its physical release, In Rainbows still debuted at Number One on the Billboard charts on January 1st, 2008. (Radiohead admitted that most people opted to pay nothing to download the album.) As Yorke told the authors of The Rax Active Citizenship Toolkit, "When the corporate industry dies it will be no great loss to the world."

chefcraig
06-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Thom Yorke's advice to aspiring young musicians: Release music yourself without the help of a major record label...and stated that it was "only a matter of time — months rather than years — before the music business establishment completely folds,"

Gee, I hope Sebastian Bach doesn't read this, it might just ruin his entire day.

Hardrock69
06-10-2010, 04:02 PM
LOL! Well, I do not see them going under within months, if ever, as their monolithic parent companies can shell out billions to keep them operating, even when they are bleeding cash from their jugulars.

bueno bob
06-10-2010, 05:19 PM
If more musicians took this attitude, major labels wouldn't have been bleeding bands and the fans dry for years and years.

I'll be more than happy to piss on the graves of conglomerate "Too Big to Fail" record labels when the day finally comes. 99% of everything I listen to today is signed to an indie label, if they're signed at all, and for my favorite bands I'm more than happy to go see them live when they come around and buy a T shirt. While every band's situation is different, the one deciding factor I hear from all of them that seems to remain the same is that their real revenue comes from merchandise sales and tickets sold, not the pennies they make per CD...

binnie
06-11-2010, 04:18 AM
Will Thom Yorke be penning a moody, and largely tuneless, lament at their fall?

I wish Radiohead would fold.

ELVIS
06-11-2010, 09:59 AM
:happy45:

Hardrock69
06-11-2010, 10:53 AM
:lmao:

I bought their first album from hearing their single "Creep". Saw them recently on DirecTV....they are ok, but I quickly get tired of listening to long droning grooves with this falsetto whining over the top of it.

VAiN
06-11-2010, 11:19 AM
they are ok, but I quickly get tired of listening to long droning grooves with this falsetto whining over the top of it.

I totally agree with this... they have an OK song every now & then, but the bulk of it is just so fucking boring...

chefcraig
06-11-2010, 11:27 AM
I totally agree with this... they have an OK song every now & then, but the bulk of it is just so fucking boring...

I really enjoyed their The Bends album. Then they took a left turn from pop music and everyone called them Pink Floyd, a comparison I still don't quite get, other than listening to their albums while medicated reveals some interesting insights. Then again, doing the same while watching a movie dubbed in Spanish late at night does roughly the same thing.

Hardrock69
06-11-2010, 12:38 PM
If I am going to watch some movie with dubbing I want it to be a cheap, lo-budget Hong Kong chop-socky action flick!
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TSO8WQy9gSw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TSO8WQy9gSw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Golden AWe
06-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Radiohead is GRATE! However, they're past their prime.

"Ok Computer" and "Bends" are both amazing. After them, there's grate moments every now and then, but none of the albums are as good as those two as a whole.

Nickdfresh
06-12-2010, 08:21 PM
OK Computer is just brilliant...