PDA

View Full Version : What is Darth Vader's diagnosis?

Blaze
06-12-2010, 01:02 PM
By Elizabeth Landau
CNN.com Health Writer/Producer

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/06/07/c1main.vader.jpg

The manipulations of Anakin Skywalker, also known as Darth Vader in the "Star Wars" saga, have long been ascribed to the Dark Side of the Force. Now, psychiatrists suggests that the actions of the Jedi Knight could be used in teaching about a real-life mental illness.

A letter to the editor in the journal Psychiatry Research explores just what is wrong with Vader. French researchers posit that Vader exhibits six out of the nine criteria for borderline personality disorder. Unstable moods, interpersonal relationships, and behaviors are all characteristics of this condition, according to the National Institutes of Mental Health. It affects 2 percent of adults, mostly young women.

The young Anakin Skywalker was separated from his mother at an early age, and his father was absent, factors that could have contributed to borderline personality disorder. His "infantile illusions of omnipotence" and "dysfunctional experiences of self and others" are also indicative of this condition from an early age.

The researchers argue that Vader experienced two "dissociative episodes," one when he exterminated the Tusken people after his mother's death, and the other when he killed all of the Jedi younglings. He often showed impulsive behavior and had difficulty controlling his anger. He also may have showcased a disturbance in identity by turning to the dark side and changing his name.

Darth Vader may thus be used to educate the public about borderline personality disorder and help combat stigma associated with mental illness.

But Emory psychiatrist Dr. Charles Raison, CNNhealth.com's mental health expert, has a different take. In the original three movies - which are the last three chronologically - Vader appears to be under the control of an evil emperor, making his character difficult to ascribe to a psychiatric disorder.

UPDATE: Dr. Raison would like to clarify that his comment was specific to Darth Vader and not to Anakin Skywalker. "Anakin is a much better exemplar of personality disturbance," he says. "On the other hand Darth Vader laid down his life to save his son and kill the evil emperor when all was said and done. Perhaps there is a lesson here, too, on type casting people who struggle with personality disturbances?"

Editor's Note: Medical news is a popular but sensitive subject rooted in science. We receive many comments on this blog each day; not all are posted. Our hope is that much will be learned from the sharing of useful information and personal experiences based on the medical and health topics of the blog. We encourage you to focus your comments on those medical and health topics and we appreciate your input. Thank you for your participation.

Posted by: Elizabeth Landau - CNN.com Health Writer/Producer
Filed under: Psychology
9,910 people recommend this.

http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/07/what-is-darth-vaders-diagnosis/

:umm: :biggrin:

Discuss
:lmao:

Little Texan
06-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Someone has way too much time on their hands if they're analyzing what mental illness a fictional character might have.

chefcraig
06-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Someone has way too much time on their hands if they're analyzing what mental illness a fictional character might have.

I dunno, bro...I'd draft a paper explaining the proper recipe for ice cubes if it meant getting a grant for a couple hundred thousand bucks.

bueno bob
06-12-2010, 10:00 PM
a fictional character

:mad:

Dan
06-12-2010, 10:46 PM
How Dare They.:D

bueno bob
06-13-2010, 01:44 AM
Am I going to have to slap a bitch?

Blaze
06-13-2010, 02:56 AM
:biggrin:
Perhaps, a research study on bueno bob's psychological profile and diagnosis should be initiated.

Bob, How does the study and diagnosis of your favored character make you feel emotionally?
Does it cause any physical discomfort to manifest?
Have you found yourself ever thinking of your childhood?
:daisy:

bueno bob
06-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Perhaps, a research study on bueno bob's psychological profile and diagnosis should be initiated.

Bob, How does the study and diagnosis of your favored character make you feel emotionally?

They can shut up! I rule! Me! Who's better than me? NOBODY!

Does it cause any physical discomfort to manifest?

My butt is itchy.

Have you found yourself ever thinking of your childhood?

I want my mommy! :mad:

Nitro Express
06-14-2010, 03:46 AM
Let's see. Darth Vader was torn between his job and marrying a hot piece of ass. He was manipulated by a crooked politician and had an ego and temper problem. The end result is he ended up getting fired. Not only was he out of the Jedi Council he suffered horrible burns. He should have just gave up the Jedi thing all together and served as the princess' private sex toy.

Kristy
06-14-2010, 02:46 PM
My guess is borderline with a slight hint(s) of Scizotyypal personality disorder; the guy did have a love/hate relationship with his son and in most situations was a loner who craved isolation. Having a minor in psychology RARELY comes in handy.

Blaze
06-14-2010, 03:26 PM
I was trying to figure out which post to answer first and along comes Kristy.

So, Kristy. How would you address and move the client along for such a hostile subject as Bob obviously is? :baaa:

Hardrock69
06-14-2010, 04:33 PM

Kristy
06-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Well, since psychiatry is nothing more than a business these days I'd place Darth in some sort of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialectical_behavior_therapy provided of course, his insurance picks up most of the cost. Second, to keep the crock biz that is psychiatry rolling I'd have dear ol Darth 'express his emotions' about his son in some sort of expensive intensive therapeutic sessions.

Jagermeister
06-14-2010, 05:17 PM
http://www.gamethreat.net/forums/attachments/general-chat/13304d1238846935-funny-pictures-yoda.jpg

Dan
06-14-2010, 08:15 PM
How Dare Any Of You Peeps Have A Go At Bob.Shame On You.

Blaze
06-14-2010, 10:37 PM
They can shut up! I rule! Me! Who's better than me? NOBODY!

My butt is itchy.

I want my mommy! :mad:

Of course, Bob. It can be very challenging when reading notes others have made concerning you.
Why you would react so angrily toward the diagnosis is understandable.
And our goal is to get you to have more mindful control.

It is good to see you do not have any major discomfort manifesting itself.

However, this rash issue could suggest on the very basic level your needs when you were helpless in the world.
That perhaps, there is an issue of parental concerns.

Looking at a world you can and do control your outcome, how are your children?

bueno bob
06-15-2010, 01:57 AM
Looking at a world you can and do control your outcome, how are your children?

Well, outside of their on-again/off-again tendencies towards humping each other, I must admit I'm a little proud of them. They do have a tendency to stand up and fight for what they believe in, even if it's directly against my own goals. I mean, it's quite obvious to me that they're not only on the wrong side of the law, but they're also opening up a potential can of worms for a lot of people if they succeed in their goals. I mean, realistically, what possible GOOD could possibly come from anarchy? Do they expect they're going to restore the old order of things and everything will be peachy-keen?

Fuck no. The old order sucked. They weren't around to see it - I was. I mean, Christ, look at how easily my boss managed to slip in and take over EVERYTHING - and DIRECTLY under their noses! In PLAIN SIGHT!

THAT'S the order they want restored? With my age came the wisdom to see that even a system that's a bit corrupt works better than one that's ENTIRELY useless, right?

Look at the system I co-run. Alright, seriously, examine it for a second. Yeah, yeah, we've got border patrol all over the place, but they're essentially harmless. Hell, they can't hit the side of a barn at point blank range, so what's the concern about them? They're basically decoration, place holders for the bosses authority just to remind you who's running the show. Taxes and tariffs are a bit on the steep side, yeah, but news flash - it takes money to run and police an empire, you know? We crack the whip on law breakers, insurgents, smugglers, and other assorted less then desirable people. There's a clear cut and easily defined chain of command, laws in place to enforce all authority and although maybe not EVERY decision is just for all parties, the overall scheme and balance of power is maintained, all the time.

Yeah, yeah, I know...we blew up a planet...BFD...look at Paul Atreides over on Arrakis! He overthrew the Emperor of that galaxy, Shaddam Corrino IV, people worshiped him like a GOD, and what happened?

HE OBLITERATED 90 PLANETS IN TWELVE YEARS! AND HIS SON BECAME A HUMAN/SANDWORM HYBRID AND RULED THE UNIVERSE WITH AN IRON FIST FOR 4000 YEARS!

And you guys wanna bitch that we made an example of Alderaan? Jesus Christ! Get your priorities straight!

Sigh. You know, seriously, when I said "You don't know the power of the Dark Side", did you SEE how pathetic Luke was? He DIDN'T know the power of the Dark Side! Seriously! I mean, can anybody even reasonably QUESTION that I let him (and his miserable, Force-less friends) off the hook INTENTIONALLY?

I mean, fuckin' O, give me some credit...

Nitro Express
06-15-2010, 02:27 AM
Well, since psychiatry is nothing more than a business these days I'd place Darth in some sort of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialectical_behavior_therapy provided of course, his insurance picks up most of the cost. Second, to keep the crock biz that is psychiatry rolling I'd have dear ol Darth 'express his emotions' about his son in some sort of expensive intensive therapeutic sessions.

I think everything is a business these days. The only reason Tom Cruise bashes psychiatry is it's stepping on The Church of Scientology's turf. Can't have any competition you know.

hambon4lif
06-15-2010, 03:28 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gM6Pm222KhM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gM6Pm222KhM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>