PDA

View Full Version : vlad going to anaheim



Polk High
01-11-2004, 10:35 AM
Guerrero rejects offer from Mets, reportedly headed to Anaheim

By MIKE FITZPATRICK, AP Sports Writer
January 11, 2004
NEW YORK (AP) -- Vladimir Guerrero rejected a three-year contract offer from the New York Mets, and several reports said the free-agent outfielder agreed to terms with the Anaheim Angels.

Reports in New York and Los Angeles said Guerrero was set to sign a $70 million, five-year contract with Anaheim as long as he passed a physical. But the Angels would not confirm a deal Saturday night.

``As a matter of policy, we don't comment on speculation,'' Angels vice president of communications Tim Mead told The Associated Press.

ADVERTISEMENT


Mets general manager Jim Duquette said Saturday he was informed by Guerrero's agent, Arn Tellem, that the former Montreal Expos star would sign a multiyear deal with another team.

The Baltimore Orioles are thought to have offered Guerrero at least $65 million over five years. It was unclear which other teams might still be pursuing Guerrero.

``I can't comment about what the Mets have said,'' Orioles vice president Jim Beattie said Saturday. ``When we have an announcement to make, we will make an announcement. Until that time, we remain in negotiations.''

The Angels went 77-85 and missed the playoffs last season, one year after winning the World Series. But they've been busy this offseason under new owner Arte Moreno, signing free-agent pitchers Bartolo Colon and Kelvim Escobar along with outfielder Jose Guillen.

Colon got a $51 million, four-year contract last month after Escobar received $18.75 million over three years in November.

Angels general manager Bill Stoneman said then, ``We had our sights set on pitching and I think we accomplished that. I would say that, conservatively, we're not finished yet.''

Guillen signed a $6 million, two-year contract in December.

Guerrero, who turns 28 next month, was on the disabled list from June 6 to July 21 last season, missing 39 games because of a herniated disc in his back. He hit .330 with 25 home runs and 79 RBIs for Montreal.

The cash-strapped Expos, owned by the other 29 major league clubs, let him go in December, declining to offer salary arbitration.

Concerned about his back injury last season, the Mets made Guerrero an offer Thursday that only guaranteed three years.

Duquette said his understanding was that no team would be able to get insurance for Guerrero's back.

But Duquette said if Guerrero stayed healthy, he would certainly have reached incentives that would automatically make the proposed deal with the Mets worth $71 million over five years.

``We weren't willing to make a guaranteed five-year offer, that was based on the advice of our doctors,'' Duquette said. ``Our offer was predicated on the health concern.''

Still, Duquette said he was optimistic the past few days.

``Our feeling was we had a chance, we had a legitimate chance to sign the guy. It's obvious the type of player he is. It was a serious offer,'' he said.

The Mets were cautious in part because they've been burned by injuries to players with big contracts recently, most notably first baseman Mo Vaughn.

Guerrero, a four-time All-Star, is a .323 career hitter. He had at least 34 homers and 108 RBIs every year from 1998-02. He also has one of the strongest arms in baseball.

``I understand the disappointment of the fans,'' Duquette said. ``The organization is disappointed, too. We made a legitimate run and we thought we had a chance to get him. We missed out on this guy unfortunately, but we're going to go forward with our plan.''

Polk High
01-11-2004, 10:37 AM
Well it looks like Vlad is going to....... Anaheim for a 5 year 70 million contract. Let me be the first to say: what a bum all he cared about was the money (he took an extra million a year to play for anaheim even though he said he didn't want to change leagues.) Who the hell needs him anyway? Remember this and mark it down: the Angels were the team that signed Mo Vaughn to the 5 year $$$$$$$$$$ deal initially so Vlad will be Mo II soon, he has a bad back and several MLB doctors have told their teams to shy away from the long term deal w/ this guy.

Polk High
01-11-2004, 10:37 AM
One more thing: imagine if a white player said he wanted to play where there were a lot of whites. Making Vlad a certified racist as well. You come to Shea you'll get whats coming to you.

Gmoney
01-11-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Polk High
One more thing: imagine if a white player said he wanted to play where there were a lot of whites. Making Vlad a certified racist as well. You come to Shea you'll get whats coming to you.


Right on..

Plus, I am sure there is not a lot of Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, or whatever the hell he is in Anaheim!!

No wonder why baseball sucks so much, it's all about greed!!!

POJO_Risin
01-11-2004, 02:12 PM
I hope y'all aren't just realizing that!!!

Of course it's all about money...and yeah...we would all take the same fucking deal...

No offense here...but fucking Shea and the Mets are a cess pool...I wouldn't want to play there either...

Gmoney
01-11-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin

Of course it's all about money...and yeah...we would all take the same fucking deal...



That's why I haven't paid for a baseball ticket since the strike of 1994.

They are a bunch of overpaid crybabbies!!!

But yes, I would take it too if I was in their position. BASEBALL TEAM OWNERS ARE STUPID!!!!

POJO_Risin
01-11-2004, 02:31 PM
They are all stupid...

Owners for paying that much then bitching...

players for taking the money...and further distancing them from fans that have to pay 40 dollars to sit in the upper deck...