PDA

View Full Version : Is Mobama Stupid???? Says Seafood From Gulf Of Mexico Is Safe To Eat

Hardrock69
06-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Not only after the oil spill, but after BP dumped thousands of tons of fucking solvent into the ocean down, I would think the seafood would be fairly hazardous to one's health. :umm:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100614/ap_on_bi_ge/us_gulf_oil_spill_obama

Obama sees light ahead for oil-damaged Gulf Coast
AP

THEODORE, Ala. – In a newly optimistic tone, President Barack Obama promised Monday that "things are going to return to normal" along the stricken Gulf Coast and the region's fouled waters will be in better shape than before the catastrophic BP oil spill.

He declared Gulf seafood safe to eat and said his administration was redoubling inspections and monitoring to make sure it stays that way. And his White House said Monday it had wrested apparent agreement from BP PLC to set up an independent, multibillion-dollar compensation fund for people and businesses suffering from the spill's effects.

Obama said the goal was to pay legitimate claims "justly, fairly, promptly."

With Obama hoping to convince a frightened Gulf Coast and a skeptical nation that he is in command, he is marshaling the tools at a president's disposal: a two-day visit via Air Force One, helicopter and boat in the stricken region, a prime-time speech Tuesday night from the symbolically important stage of the Oval Office and a face-to-face White House confrontation Wednesday with the executives of the oil company that leased the rig that exploded April 20 and led to the leak of millions of gallons of coast-devastating crude.

From an enormous waterside staging facility here, one of 17 across Gulf Coast where cleanup crews ready themselves and equipment to attack the spill, Obama mixed warnings that the recovery could take a while with unqualified optimism about the ultimate result.

"I can't promise folks here in Theodore or across the Gulf Coast that the oil will be cleaned up overnight. It will not be," he said, after encouraging hard-hatted workers as they hosed off and repaired oil-blocking boom. "It's going to be painful for a lot of folks."

But, he said, "things are going to return to normal. ... I am confident that we're going to be able to leave the Gulf Coast in better shape than it was before."

That pledge was reminiscent of George W. Bush's promise to rebuild the region "even better and stronger" than before Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Bush could not make good on that promise, and Obama did not spell out how he would fulfill his.

Jagermeister
06-14-2010, 05:29 PM
:(

I'm not eating any of that shit for a long time.

I'm sorry I don't trust our Government.

Seshmeister
06-14-2010, 05:52 PM
If you want to be frightened of things you don't understand like some medieval peasant then that's up to you.

Obama is not a marine engineer.

If he is saying this then that means that the best American scientists have ascertained that the sea food is safe.

I think some people are forgetting just how much water is in the Gulf...

Jagermeister
06-14-2010, 05:55 PM
If you want to be frightened of things you don't understand like some medieval peasant then that's up to you.

If he is saying this then that means that the best American scientists have ascertained that the sea food is safe.

:lmao:

Baby's On Fire
06-14-2010, 08:35 PM
All Americans are stupid....Haven't you figured that out yet?

And before you get all worked up...remember...you idiots elected George Bush TWICE.....

So I have proof you're all fucking stupid......

LoungeMachine
06-14-2010, 09:43 PM

And before you get all worked up...remember...you idiots elected George Bush TWICE.....

2000 popular vote = BUSH 50,456,002 GORE = 50,999,897

2004 popular vote = BUSH 62,040,606 KERRY = 59,028,109

US POPULATION = 307 MILLION

:gulp:

Bush wasnt elected in 2000, he was appointed by the USSC

And he stole Ohio in 2004

Regardless, we "all" didn't "elect" Bush twice, you drunken troll.

But hey, we like it when you come around every few weeks so we can bitchslap the Molson out of your mouth.

knuckleboner
06-14-2010, 10:16 PM
]

or just how little critical reasoning certain people have...

Nickdfresh
06-14-2010, 10:42 PM
Um, Obama said "seafood is safe." He didn't say where the seafood came from, you silly gooses. I think this was a message meant for panicky bitches that think all fish in the seafood section of the supermarket, or the local fishermans' warf, contains hydrocarbon infested fish. I think he's trying to say that seafood OVERALL is safe, and that there are many sources such as Alaska, so don't stop buying it...

Nickdfresh
06-14-2010, 10:44 PM

Yet you voted for a conservative that sucked his cock? So who's dumber?

Seshmeister
06-14-2010, 11:28 PM
or just how little critical reasoning certain people have...

The concise Brittanica Encyclopedia estimates the surface of the Gulf of Mexico to be 1,550,000 km2 that is 1,550,000,000,000 m2 .

The maximum depth of the Gulf is 5203 m. The average depth is somwhere between 0 and that value. I guess 1/4 the maximum depth (because it gave me an almost round number) of 1300 m.
Multiplying 1,550,000,000,000 m2 x 1300m = 2.015 x 10 E 15 m3 or 5.3 X 10 E 17 US Gallons (give or take 1223gallons) or about 650 Quadrillion gallons (650,000,000,000,000,000)

If there has been 100 million gallons leaked then if everything was mixed up then that means in each gallon of gulf water there would be 1/6500000000 of a gallon of water.

That works out at about a millionth of a teaspoon of oil per gallon.

I'm not saying it isn't very serious and a total misery but it's not near the coast so maybe it isn't going to be as bad as people fear and you would think most seafood will be fine.

Nitro Express
06-15-2010, 02:16 AM
Obama isn't stupid. He's just a liar. I trust him as much as I trust my dog to guard my hamburger and fries.

sadaist
06-15-2010, 03:05 AM
Obama isn't stupid. He's just a liar. I trust him as much as I trust my dog to guard my hamburger and fries.

LOL. I took the dogs with me & had to run into the grocery store. Just for 1 thing, and NO...I don't leave my dogs in the car for any longer than 5 minutes at the very most. Usually 2-3 minutes, in the shade windows down.

Anyways, as I am walking back I see a lady loading her groceries into her car. Her back is turned and she doesn't see her toddler age 3 or 4, reaching up to my truck window and feeding my boxers his french fries. Slobber running down his arm and all over my half rolled down window. My dogs love fries. And this kid was having the time of his life feeding the beasts. Luckily my dogs look mean, but wouldn't hurt a 3 legged blind cat if it came up & peed on them. He would tip toe & reach up with a handful of fries, each mouthful of fries they would get the kids whole hand in their mouth and then he would slide it out slobbery....sans fries.

Sly dogs. I know exactly the look they must have given this kid for him to hand over the fries.

Huh? What were we talking about again?

Hardrock69
06-15-2010, 09:41 AM
LMAO! So you are saying the kid is smarter than Mobama? :lmao:

That story is hilarious! Hey! Dogs won't pass up food! No way!

I know The Prez is trying to instill confidence in seafood from the Gulf Of Mexico. I just don't see the seafood being convinced. :biggrin:

ELVIS
06-15-2010, 10:57 AM
Um, Obama said "seafood is safe." He didn't say where the seafood came from, you silly gooses. I think this was a message meant for panicky bitches that think all fish in the seafood section of the supermarket, or the local fishermans' warf, contains hydrocarbon infested fish. I think he's trying to say that seafood OVERALL is safe, and that there are many sources such as Alaska, so don't stop buying it...

You read all of that BS in what Obama said ??

What other subliminal messages is he giving you ??

BigBadBrian
06-15-2010, 11:03 AM

Yeah, just like hybrid crops are safe.

BigBadBrian
06-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Bush wasnt elected in 2000, he was appointed by the USSC

And he stole Ohio in 2004

Quit whining you musically inept fatass bass player. Nobody stole Ohio, dumbass and 2000 was won within the confines of current law.

BigBadBrian
06-15-2010, 11:08 AM

Shaddap, Mr. Frontline Bitch!

Igosplut
06-15-2010, 11:47 AM
The "trickle down" affect is really the starting point. You don't have to worry about whats being sold NOW, try like in a few more months when the stuff REALLY spreads out. Shellfish are the things that seem to live for years with all amount of nasty shit in them, while fish are more fragle and will outright die (or starve) and their spawning areas will be fouled so no reproduction. I don't agree with everything in this article but it's a close description of things to come...

http://natural-health.guruz-blog.com/natural_health/nutrition/oil-spill-in-gulf-of-mexico-affects-all-edible-fish/

We have two serious issues to look at when we decide whether we are comfortable eating seafood: firstly what types of toxins could find their way into fish and shellfish, and secondly what would be the effects of overfishing in the non-oil-affected parts of the world to make up for the shortfall in the supply of fish?

In terms of toxins, we have a number of different substances building up in fish that are living in oil affected waters. Firstly we have crude oil and secondly we have the dispersant being used, currently Corexit 9500. Crude oil contains both mercury and lead, which are obviously highly poisonous heavy metals. Crude oil also includes benzene, toluene and polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH), all of which cause cancer. While scientists claim that PAH does not accumulate in fish, they concede that it does accumulate in shellfish. The dispersant Corexit 9500 is a highly poisonous substance, roughly four times more poisonous than oil.

Heavy metals such as lead and mercury cycle through a fish’s respiratory system, eventually accumulating in its body. As some many larger fish are predatory, they receive both the environmental load of toxins, plus the accumulation of toxins from the smaller fish. This pattern continues up the food chain until the largest fish (those that are prized as being for human consumption) have significant accumulations of heavy metals. For this reason, a percentage increase in the heavy metal load due to the environment of the fish will have greater than the percentage increase in heavy metal accumulation in large predatory fish.

Mercury is associated with brain impairments, both degenerative in adults and the development of autism and chromosomal disorders (such as Down’s syndrome) in children. Mercury crosses the placenta in pregnant mothers and has its greatest effect on babies and children due to being significantly more concentrated.

Lead has been proven to be harmful even in the smallest doses tested on laboratory animals. No minimum quantity of lead has ever been accepted as safe. It affects the brain, the reproductive system, the nervous system and the kidneys, especially in children due to the higher level of concentration. Lead has been associated with low IQ, slow growth and hearing defects in children.

The chemical dispersant, Corexit 9500, used by BP to try to break up the oil from the surface of the water is known to be both more toxic and also less effective than other chemical disbursants, requiring a stronger application. I feel that we have a case of misaligned corporate ethics coming into this situation as Corexit 9500 was reputedly banned in Britain over a decade ago due to its highly toxic affects on both the environment and people. How ‘British’ Petroleum ended up with such a large supply then I do not know.

The use of Corexit 9500 in such quantities and at such oceanic depths is unknown in human history, and the exact contents of the mixture are a trade secret. Corexit 9500 increases in toxicity as it heats up, and oil in the water tends to increase the temperature of the water. It is expected that it will affect humans’ respiratory systems, nervous systems, livers, kidneys and also cause blood disorders. Just as with mercury and lead, Corexit 9500 will have a greater impact on children due to their smaller size. At the time that this article was written (early June 2010) over 600,000 gallons of Corexit 9500 have been applied to the ocean’s surface.

Clearly the fish and shellfish living in and around the Gulf of Mexico are going to be off the menu for some time. The government won’t willingly allow the people to eat contaminated fish, so all should be fine right?

Unfortunately however, the Gulf Coast is responsible for about 50% of the total US harvest in its peak season. Fishing in the Gulf of Mexico is estimated to be worth $2.4 billion per year. Not only is fishing an essential part of USA’s GDP, but people are still eating fish and so the demand causes pressure on other fishing localities to increase the supply.

Do not also forget that some fish are highly migratory, particularly deep ocean fish, sometimes travelling up to 200 miles for feeding and reproduction. It is not possible to identify whether any individual fish has ever come into contact with the oil or the disbursant that is choking the Gulf of Mexico area.

sadaist
06-15-2010, 04:23 PM
LMAO! So you are saying the kid is smarter than Mobama? :lmao:

No. The dogs are. They got the french fries!

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/sadaist/Dogs.jpg

ELVIS
06-15-2010, 05:18 PM
Disgusting slobbering beasts...

binnie
06-15-2010, 05:26 PM
That's no-way to speak about Republicans.....

ELVIS
06-15-2010, 06:15 PM
Yes it is. Dems as well...

Catfish
06-15-2010, 06:56 PM

Yep! If the president says it, it must be true!

What a dumb thing to say, Sesh!

bueno bob
06-15-2010, 09:29 PM

Need to train your dog better then...mine is completely trustworthy around my food.

Just sayin'. ;)

bueno bob
06-15-2010, 09:29 PM
Quit whining you musically inept fatass bass player. Nobody stole Ohio, dumbass and 2000 was won within the confines of current law.

Diamondjimi
06-15-2010, 10:37 PM
Regardless, we "all" didn't "elect" Bush twice, you drunken troll.

But hey, we like it when you come around every few weeks so we can bitchslap the Molson out of your mouth.

Hardrock69
06-15-2010, 11:46 PM
I must admit, there has been no president (with the possible exception of Jimmeh-bwah Cawtuh) in my lifetime who was not a liar. Johnson, Nixon, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush were all lying motherfuckers. Kennedy appeared to lie less, and appeared to have the greater good of the country in mind than any of the others I just listed.

I will say Obama is actually doing something. Whether or not his plans turn out to do US any good remains to be seen, but at least he is trying to solve some domestic issues, and not just sending soldiers off to be murdered based on LIES, while sitting on his fucking ass in the White House doing nothing for Americans on the home front (like Chimpy did for 8 goddamned years).

conmee
06-16-2010, 12:42 AM
Sesh,

I enjoy your battle with equations, decimal points, powers, and many zeros, but you can't just average the spill against all the water, as the oil isn't evenly broken down and dispersed - it is still quite concentrated in an area the size of Delaware or maybe Maryland by now, not counting undersea plumes. Nevertheless, petroleum products are good for the skin and give hair shine, bounce, and volume, so we will have shiny happy people as a result.

I am also now an atheist as of June 1, due mainly to Sesh browbeating me on IM about God for the better part of five years... I give up... if there were a God, he would have put an end to Sesh by now, but lo and behold, he continues unabated, much like the gushing underwater oil well, he has fouled the ecosystem and marshes of my psyche and conscience... it could well take years, if ever, for me to believe in a higher power again... (P.S. The recent destruction of a "Touchdown Jesus" in Ohio struck by lightning and burned to a crisp is evidence of Sesh's powers).

In all seriousness though, I'm not one to be superstitious or a believer in conspiracies (ok, maybe occasionally), but I don't put a high degree of faith in the so-called scientists either. It will take more time and resources than have been currently deployed to develop a truer and statistically valid conclusion about what changes this disaster will have on the ecosystem as well as the food chain. As a precaution, not so much a superstition, I'm planning on avoiding food from the Gulf until further notice, even though the last time I had food from the Gulf was a visit to New Orleans in 2000.

That is all.

Icon©®™

sadaist
06-16-2010, 01:14 AM
Disgusting slobbering beasts...

You just don't like them because they are brown. :hee:

Hardrock69
06-16-2010, 09:13 AM

jhale667
06-16-2010, 10:30 AM
:biggrin:

Seshmeister
06-16-2010, 11:43 AM
In all seriousness though, I'm not one to be superstitious or a believer in conspiracies (ok, maybe occasionally), but I don't put a high degree of faith in the so-called scientists either.

Ridiculous.

Without scientists how would we do this?

http://riotclitshave.com/2010.06/001dhkh0.jpg

conmee
06-17-2010, 12:28 AM
LMFAO!!! Are those MAGNETS on the soles the paws/feet?!?!? That is an awesome mad scientist photo!!! Holy shit that made me actually laugh today... lol

That is all.

Icon©®™