PDA

View Full Version : Borrowers exit troubled Obama mortgage program

BigBadBrian
06-22-2010, 05:45 AM
link (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Borrowers-exit-troubled-Obama-apf-887634101.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=3&asset=&ccode=)
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Obama administration's flagship effort to help people in danger of losing their homes is falling flat.

More than a third of the 1.24 million borrowers who have enrolled in the $75 billion mortgage modification program have dropped out. That exceeds the number of people who have managed to have their loan payments reduced to help them keep their homes.

Last month alone,155,000 borrowers left the program -- bringing the total to 436,000 who have dropped out since it began in March 2009.

About 340,000 homeowners have received permanent loan modifications and are making payments on time.

Administration officials say the housing market is significantly better than when President Barack Obama entered office. They say those who were rejected from the program will get help in other ways.

But analysts expect the majority will still wind up in foreclosure and that could slow the broader economic recovery.

A major reason so many have fallen out of the program is the Obama administration initially pressured banks to sign up borrowers without insisting first on proof of their income. When banks later moved to collect the information, many troubled homeowners were disqualified or dropped out.

Many borrowers complained that the banks lost their documents. The industry said borrowers weren't sending back the necessary paperwork.

Carlos Woods, a 48-year-old power plant worker in Queens, N.Y., made nine payments during a trial phase but was kicked out of the program after Bank of America said he missed a $1,600 payment afterward. His lawyer said they can prove he made the payment.

Such mistakes happen "more frequently than not, unfortunately," said his lawyer, Sumani Lanka. "I think a lot of it is incompetence."

A spokesman for Bank of America declined to comment on Woods's case.

Treasury officials now require banks to collect two recent pay stubs at the start of the process. Borrowers have to give the Internal Revenue Service permission to provide their most recent tax returns to lenders.

Requiring homeowners to provide documentation of income has turned people away from enrolling in the program. Around 30,000 homeowners started the program in May. That's a sharp turnaround from last summer when more than 100,000 borrowers signed up each month.

As more people leave the program, a new wave of foreclosures could occur. If that happens, it could weaken the housing market and hold back the broader economic recovery.

Even after their loans are modified, many borrowers are simply stuck with too much debt -- from car loans to home equity loans to credit cards.

"The majority of these modifications aren't going to be successful," said Wayne Yamano, vice president of John Burns Real Estate Consulting, a research firm in Irvine, Calif. "Even after the permanent modification, you're still looking at a very high debt burden."

So far nearly 6,400 borrowers have dropped out after the loan modification was made permanent. Most of those borrowers likely defaulted on their modified loans, but a handful either refinanced or sold their homes.

Credit ratings agency Fitch Ratings projects that about two-thirds of borrowers with permanent modifications under the Obama plan will default again within a year after getting their loans modified.

Obama administration officials contend that borrowers are still getting help -- even if they fail to qualify. The administration published statistics showing that nearly half of borrowers who fell out of the program as of April received an alternative loan modification from their lender. About 7 percent fell into foreclosure.

Another option is a short sale -- one in which banks agree to let borrowers sell their homes for less than they owe on their mortgage.

A short sale results in a less severe hit to a borrower's credit score, and is better for communities because homes are less likely to be vandalized or fall into disrepair. To encourage more of those sales, the Obama administration is giving $3,000 for moving expenses to homeowners who complete such a sale or agree to turn over the deed of the property to the lender.

Administration officials said their work on several fronts has helped stabilize the housing market. Besides the foreclosure-prevention plan, they cited government efforts to provide money for home loans, push down mortgage rates and provide a federal tax credit for buyers.

"There's no question that today's housing market is in significantly better shape than anyone predicted 18 months ago," said Shaun Donovan, President Barack Obama's housing secretary.

The mortgage modification plan was announced with great fanfare a month after Obama took office.

It is designed to lower borrowers' monthly payments -- reducing their mortgage rates to as low as 2 percent for five years and extending loan terms to as long as 40 years. Borrowers who complete the program are saving a median of $514 a month. Mortgage companies get taxpayer incentives to reduce borrowers' monthly payments.

Consumer advocates had high hopes for Obama's program when it began. But they have since grown disenchanted.

"The foreclosure-prevention program has had minimal impact," said John Taylor, chief executive of the National Community Reinvestment Coalition, a consumer group. "It's sad that they didn't put the same amount of resources into helping families avoid foreclosure as they did helping banks."

BigBadBrian
06-22-2010, 05:47 AM
I wonder if most of the people who elected this blue-lipped baboon are realizing they made a mistake? I'll bet so!

BigBadBrian
06-22-2010, 05:48 AM
http://www.belch.com/img/Obama_Monkey.jpg

BigBadBrian
06-22-2010, 05:50 AM
Barney Fife was waaaay smarter than Barry Obama, but I'll post this anyway. :lmao:

http://badexample.mu.nu/archives/Fife%20obama.jpg

BigBadBrian
06-22-2010, 06:05 AM
OK people, I'm just kidding around with the last two posts/pics, so don't go have a cow.

Seshmeister
06-22-2010, 06:33 AM
So now he's a mortgage broker, I thought he was a marine engineer.

You don't want a president you want a nanny.

Get on and deal with life rather than blaming someone else for everything.

knuckleboner
06-22-2010, 07:49 AM
I wonder if most of the people who elected this blue-lipped baboon are realizing they made a mistake? I'll bet so!

most of the people dropping out of the program are people that REALLY should never have had a mortgage in the first place.

when the market was rising, it was ok, because if you couldn't make your mortgage, which many people couldn't, you just sold and at least covered the loan.

but with the current situtation, that's not possible for a lot of people. so the government tries to help. if anybody thought the government would 100% fix everything, then they were dreaming. and no, obama did not promise to completely fix everything. he promised change. not absolution. this kind of thing takes time.

Nickdfresh
06-22-2010, 07:57 AM
OK people, I'm just kidding around with the last two posts/pics, so don't go have a cow.

Can you keep them out of regular threads? Or at least put them with your main article?

Nickdfresh
06-22-2010, 07:58 AM

The funny thing being that this supposedly the mantra of modern American conservatism. But of course,self-ascribed conservatives are mostly deluded hypocrites and whiners....

Dr. Love
06-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Regardless, I don't think Obama did nearly enough to help out the average home-owner.

Nitro Express
06-22-2010, 02:17 PM

Blue lipped baboon. LOL! You mean the president who doesn't even know who his top generals in Afganistahn are? This guy is a puppet who came into office with the agenda to continue the bankers bailout, continue the wars, pass a horrible health care law, pass cap and trade, and give amnesty to the illegal aliens. Obama will not stray from his agenda even when faced with the worst ecological disaster in US history.

Nitro Express
06-22-2010, 02:27 PM
Regardless, I don't think Obama did nearly enough to help out the average home-owner.

He should have just let the banks fail. The average American has less than $10,000 in savings anyways. The banks fail guess what, who do you pay the mortgage to? Let them stay in their homes instead of having banks saved by homeowners tax money foreclose on them. There is so much debt nobody is going to pay it off. The American people will be paying taxes for centuries to supposedly pay this debt off. Then what is the debt really? The central bank just creates the money out of nothing, lends it to the banks at 2% and they lend it at 7%. The debt was created out of thin air, people buy materials and labor with it and create real assets. Real assets the banks take back after tricking people into making them with debt created from nothing.

The solution, let the bad banks fail, audit the Federal Reserve and find out where they have been stashing hidden assets. Put the Fed under the control of the US Congress and run it openly. Base the Dollar on hard assets like silver and gold again and create real jobs that we make stuff again and export around the world.

The US has been outsourced and we let a foreign oil company drill a dangerous well that should have never been drilled. Hell, Bush was going to give our ports away to foreigners. The American people have no real jobs, no industrial base, and no money. That's the problem. Making it easier for them to get into more debt with the banks is no solution. The banks have no money either, it's all printed out of thin air by Ben Bernanke.

Nitro Express
06-22-2010, 02:32 PM
We need a currency that an open free market decides the value of, not a group of shadowy bankers who tell the US Congress to fuck off when they want to know where our bailout money has gone. Setting the prime interest rate out of the blue is too much power given to too few. Central banks based on fractional reserve banking just don't work. It's not working in Europe, it's not working here, and it's not working in Japan. Even if you have money today, where do you put it? Stocks and bonds have become a joke. Real assets like agricultural land, water rights, precious metals and other commodities is the only place any value is going to be as the paper economy tanks worldwide. People are losing their faith in paper and the gold price shows this.

Nitro Express
06-22-2010, 02:37 PM
We have to stop putting monkeys in the White House. We replaced a chimp with a blue lipped baboon.

Catfish
06-23-2010, 05:10 PM

LOL!!!

Even Obama and all the Obamapologists can't explain what this supposed program was. Of the people I knew who needed the help and called their bankers about it, none of them got any straight answers. Even the lenders didn't know shit about what the program entailed.

All you idiots who voted for this fucker for reasons like this better be ashamed. You kept buying into all of his 'plans' and 'solutions' when he never had the vaguest idea of what they even were. He only told you dopes what you needed to hear to get your vote. Well, he got it. Way to go all you fucking cockstains! I hope you lost your homes!

Catfish
06-23-2010, 05:11 PM

Sesh, you and the rest of the UK/EuroTrash world were all but sucking Americans' dicks to vote for this guy. Now you got him. Don't come at us with this.

Seshmeister
06-23-2010, 05:37 PM
Sesh, you and the rest of the UK/EuroTrash world were all but sucking Americans' dicks to vote for this guy. Now you got him. Don't come at us with this.

We wanted you to vote for him because he was less likely to start new wars or destroy the planet than the other crowd.

I'm just saying it's crazy some of the micromanagement things that he's getting blamed for.

At this point if a postman farts it's Obama's fault.

Nickdfresh
06-23-2010, 05:56 PM
LOL!!!

Even Obama and all the Obamapologists can't explain what this supposed program was. Of the people I knew who needed the help and called their bankers about it, none of them got any straight answers. Even the lenders didn't know shit about what the program entailed.

All you idiots who voted for this fucker for reasons like this better be ashamed. You kept buying into all of his 'plans' and 'solutions' when he never had the vaguest idea of what they even were. He only told you dopes what you needed to hear to get your vote. Well, he got it. Way to go all you fucking cockstains! I hope you lost your homes!

I guess retards like you miss the good old days under Bush, when the Dow was at 6,000 points (not that that would mean much to you)...

Catfish
06-23-2010, 05:56 PM
We wanted you to vote for him because he was less likely to start new wars or destroy the planet than the other crowd.
Based on what? You/we/anyone knew NOTHING about the man when he ran for president. All you knew was, well, he's black, a democrat and we need something different, so why not? A HORRIBLE way to elect a leader.

And less likely to destroy the planet? He sat on his ASS for a week while oil burst into our ocean...

I'm just saying it's crazy some of the micromanagement things that he's getting blamed for.
Maybe he never should have ran for president? Clearly he can't handle the heat that 18 months on the job provides. Christ, more like 6 months...

At this point if a postman farts it's Obama's fault.
It's like that for all presidents/leaders. Boo-fucking-hoo. The quarterback gets the blame for the loss and the credit for the win.

Catfish
06-23-2010, 05:58 PM
I guess retards like you miss the good old days under Bush, when the Dow was at 6,000 points (not that that would mean much to you)...

I'd better watch out! I smell a closed thread a-comin'!

Pussy!

Nickdfresh
06-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Based on what? You/we/anyone knew NOTHING about the man when he ran for president. All you knew was, well, he's black, a democrat and we need something different, so why not? A HORRIBLE way to elect a leader.

Oh right! I forgot you knew so much about Bush dumbya after voting for him, right? Like how he basically failed and fucked-up every business venture he ever tried. I mean, who have your colossal fucking votes been for?

And less likely to destroy the planet? He sat on his ASS for a week while oil burst into our ocean...

How is that his fault, idiot? I mean really? Maybe if he got up more and waved his magic wand? Or if he had super petro-chemical engineering powers?

Acutally, the whole BP-abortion is more the fault you deluded Repubi'tards that want to "drill everywhere" and never hold any corp. accountable for ANYTHING!! BP has had HUNDREDS of times more OSHA safety violations than almost all other oil companies combined!

Maybe he never should have ran for president? Clearly he can't handle the heat that 18 months on the job provides. Christ, more like 6 months...

Maybe you should STFU and graduate from community college?

It's like that for all presidents/leaders. Boo-fucking-hoo. The quarterback gets the blame for the loss and the credit for the win.

Of course it is. But you have people that fairly critique the play of both QBs. Then you have retard fanbois that can't get the dicks of the Republican QB out of their mouths...

Nickdfresh
06-23-2010, 06:17 PM
I'd better watch out! I smell a closed thread a-comin'!

Pussy!

Well, you ain't smellin' pussy. The only way you'd smell that if it were on someone's cock...