PDA

View Full Version : Getting a blu-ray player

Dr. Love
06-27-2010, 09:14 PM
Suggestions? Would I want one with wi-fi? Why?

Superjay39
06-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Wi-Fi is good only if you have a good wi-fi area. Otherwise I would stick with a moderatly priced HDMI cable.

High Life Man
06-27-2010, 10:54 PM
I have a Samsung, no wi-fi. Ran a cable to it, faster that way anyway.

I think I paid about $120 for it at Best Buy around Christmas. Don't pay $50 for a HDMI cable. Go to monoprice.com and spend $5.

VAiN
06-28-2010, 09:14 AM
If you're into games a PS3 is also a blu-ray player...

RA1DER
06-28-2010, 11:47 PM
Go with a PS3 if you can, even if you're not into gaming. It ranks with the TOP Blu-Ray stand alone players and unlike stand alone units that in short time are either discontinued or not updated with firmware as frequent, the PS3 is. As for HDMI cables, I agree with other poster...skip on Monster or any other high priced brand they try to sell you, don't go to cheap either though. I myself haven't purchased from monoprice.com but I've heard nothing but good things about them. And wired is always best!

High Life Man
06-29-2010, 11:25 PM
Full disclosure: Monoprice got hacked and they lost a ton of CC info - mine included. They were cool about it, were honest and paid for a year of fraud protection for each person. Not much good it does after the fact, but it was a good gesture. The bank took care of everything else.

That being said, i've had nothing but good luck with their HDMI cables which are about 1/10th the price. Unless you're an AV Rainman, you aren't going to know the difference.