PDA

View Full Version : Obama pushes immigration reform, seeks broad support

Jagermeister
07-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Obama calls for Republican, Democratic support

* Says legal immigration must be reformed, too (Adds reaction)

By Jeff Mason

WASHINGTON, July 1 (Reuters) - President Barack Obama renewed his push for U.S. immigration reform on Thursday, reaching out to Hispanic voters despite minimal chances that Congress will pass such legislation this year.

In a broad speech that did not break new policy ground, Obama, a Democrat, called for Republican support to pass a law that addresses the 11 million illegal immigrants in the country without disrupting the economy or violating American values.

Obama has been under pressure to keep his promise from the 2008 presidential campaign to overhaul U.S. immigration rules. A tough new law in Arizona has brought the issue to the forefront of public debate, galvanizing Hispanics, who are an important constituency for November's congressional elections.
The president, speaking at American University, criticized the Arizona law but made no mention of a potential lawsuit by his administration to block it before it goes into affect on July 29. The U.S. Justice Department is expected to file a lawsuit challenging the law shortly. [ID:nN29176898]

Obama did not lay out a timetable for passing national reform but said he was ready to pursue the issue if Democrats and Republicans could work together.

"I'm ready to move forward, the majority of Democrats are ready to move forward and I believe the majority of Americans are ready to move forward," he said.

"Reform that brings accountability to our immigration system cannot pass without Republican votes. That is the political and mathematical reality." Didn't stop health care did it?Both Democrats and Republicans are aware of that political reality, and some in the opposition party accused the president of pandering to his voter base.

Obama's speech on immigration came a day after he ripped Republicans for opposing financial reform and siding with big oil companies, new signs of a White House gearing up for tough elections in the fall. Democrats, who control both houses of Congress, are widely expected to lose seats. No Shit
But with energy legislation, financial reform and the economy topping his agenda, Obama is unlikely to make immigration a centerpiece of his campaign to help Democrats hold on to power.

"In an environment where the Democrats feel vulnerable and where the economy is so bad, trying to say we need to give eventual citizenship to illegal immigrants is a very tough sell politically, and for the public," said Steven Camarota, research director at the Center for Immigration Studies.

"IT WON'T WORK"

In a gesture to the opposition party, Obama had rare words of praise for his predecessor, George W. Bush, calling him courageous for working toward immigration reform while he was in office. That attempt proved unsuccessful.

Republican Senator Orrin Hatch characterized Obama's speech as "little more than cynical political pandering to his left wing political base and is more about giving backdoor amnesty to illegal immigrants than real reform."
In May, Obama said he wanted to begin work on immigration reform this year. He supports a system that holds undocumented immigrants "accountable" by having them pay a fine, pay taxes, learn English and become citizens. Yeah right. LOL
"No matter how decent they are, no matter their reasons, the 11 million who broke these laws should be held accountable," Obama said.

He also backs tightening border security and clamping down on employers that hire undocumented workers. Yeah that's right punish the American for hiring that damn immigrant He highlighted those points on Thursday, while saying the slow system of processing legal immigrants must be fixed, too.

The president also argued against relying on closed borders alone to fix the problem.

"There are those who argue that we should not move forward with any other elements of reform until we have fully sealed our borders," he said. "Our borders are just too vast for us to be able to solve the problem only with fences and border patrols. It won't work."

Republicans have honed in on the border issue, which is a top priority for voters in border states such as Arizona.

"If he would take amnesty off the table and make a real commitment to border and interior security, he will find strong bipartisan support," said Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell.

"But attacks on states filling the breach created by the failure of the federal government won't secure the border, grow jobs or create solutions for what we all agree is a broken immigration system," he said. (Additional reporting by Matt Spetalnick in Washington and Carolina Madrid in Los Angeles; editing by Philip Barbara)

ELVIS
07-02-2010, 10:01 AM
How 'bout securing the border...

Jagermeister
07-02-2010, 02:35 PM
He finally said something I can agree with. Learn fucking English!

<object >width="416" height="374" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="ep"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="movie" value="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/apps/cvp/3.0/swf/cnn_416x234_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=bestoftv/2010/07/01/ricks.joshua.hoyt.int.cnn" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/apps/cvp/3.0/swf/cnn_416x234_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=bestoftv/2010/07/01/ricks.joshua.hoyt.int.cnn" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="416" wmode="transparent" height="374"></embed></object>

bueno bob
07-03-2010, 10:49 PM
I would think Republicans would welcome the chance to get their hands on immigration reform.

Let's see - will they:

A) Use the opportunity to present viable options for securing the borders and modernizing immigration procedures into a workable and properly functioning capacity?

OR...

B) Bitch like little girls with piddled panties that Obama's pandering while they sit around and do fuckall else other than wait for their triumphant return to power in November which is SURELY going to fix everything like magic?

Time will tell...

Seshmeister
07-04-2010, 06:31 AM
The experts are saying that even if the US could somehow stop ALL immigration completely today by 2045 every state will have a majority of hispanics. The USA is going to be joining latin America whether you like it or not.

I think you guys should all start going to Spanish classes.

I'm thinking of taking them too so I can still enjoy hollywood movies in my retirement without having to watch the Spanish dubbed into English versions...

BigBadBrian
07-04-2010, 10:01 AM
How 'bout securing the border...

Yes Elvis, that's important, but punishing employers who hire illegals is just as important. Digging out the root of the problem (the possibility of employment for illegals in the US) is a MUST to get any type of immigration reform to work.

BigBadBrian
07-04-2010, 10:03 AM
I'm thinking of taking them too so I can still enjoy hollywood movies in my retirement without having to watch the Spanish dubbed into English versions...

You have nothing to fear, Sesh. Your pickled liver will do you in long before then.

kwame k
07-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Yes Elvis, that's important, but punishing employers who hire illegals is just as important. Digging out the root of the problem (the possibility of employment for illegals in the US) is a MUST to get any type of immigration reform to work.

As much as it pains me to agree with you.........spot on dude:baaa:

hambon4lif
07-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Yes Elvis, that's important, but punishing employers who hire illegals is just as important. Digging out the root of the problem (the possibility of employment for illegals in the US) is a MUST to get any type of immigration reform to work.That would be a dream come true, but in reality, that's all it is...a dream.

It would open alot of eyes and cause an unprecedented shitstorm when people find out that major retail and restaraunt chains are all guilty of this. We're talking huge corporations nestled comfortably in the Forbes list. They all have legal representation that can fast-talk their way out of any jam. Their one and only concern is themselves, and in the unlikely chance they were ever taken to the wall about it, they'd make up shit and leave these illegals hung out to dry.
Most importantly, they have the BIG MONEY! Enough to buy their way out any kind of controversy, spin the media, and make people look the other way.
The government will never go against BIG MONEY....not as long as greed is king.

.....it would be a solution, but it's never going to happen.

hambon4lif
07-04-2010, 03:21 PM
The experts are saying that even if the US could somehow stop ALL immigration completely today by 2045 every state will have a majority of hispanics. The USA is going to be joining latin America whether you like it or not.

I think you guys should all start going to Spanish classes.Creo que es gracioso que nadie aqui puede hablar espanol!:biggrin:

Nickdfresh
07-04-2010, 04:55 PM

I think you guys should all start going to Spanish classes.

I heard an NPR story a couple of months ago. Basically, it stated that recently a study was done on landed, legal immigrants from South America. It found that they tended to be more patriotic, less cynical about the U.S. political system, more civic minded, and tended to appreciate the fact that the U.S. was a lawful state--as they had the perspective of hearing about or living in SA banana republic shitholes--than the average "native born" American...

Seshmeister
07-04-2010, 10:45 PM
You have nothing to fear, Sesh. Your pickled liver will do you in long before then.

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/13hyOrxvECE&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1?color1=0x402061&amp;color2=0 x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/13hyOrxvECE&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1?color1=0x402061&amp;color2=0 x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

GAR
07-05-2010, 02:00 AM
SO Obama's way to fix the problem of millions of unconvicted felons illegally employed job-thieving mudpeople driving down wages, is to simply have them declared legal?

And thanks Sesh for wishing the equivalence of your guys' Paki problem on us. Go learn Arabic!

Seshmeister
07-05-2010, 08:01 AM
One of the silly things about your post is that obviously Pakistanis do not usually speak Arabic, or Norwegian for that matter.

Igosplut
07-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Don't let facts get in the way of GARgles post now Sesh...

He didn't google it properly obviously

Nickdfresh
07-05-2010, 08:29 AM
One also can't be an unconvicted felon...

Igosplut
07-05-2010, 08:40 AM
One also can't be an unconvicted felon...

You'd think he'd LOVE illegals to get them to work in his chain of KFC's

Oooh, wait.....

Dr. Love
07-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Obama calls for Republican, Democratic support

* Says legal immigration must be reformed, too (Adds reaction)

By Jeff Mason

WASHINGTON, July 1 (Reuters) - President Barack Obama renewed his push for U.S. immigration reform on Thursday, reaching out to Hispanic voters despite minimal chances that Congress will pass such legislation this year.

In a broad speech that did not break new policy ground, Obama, a Democrat, called for Republican support to pass a law that addresses the 11 million illegal immigrants in the country without disrupting the economy or violating American values.

Obama has been under pressure to keep his promise from the 2008 presidential campaign to overhaul U.S. immigration rules. A tough new law in Arizona has brought the issue to the forefront of public debate, galvanizing Hispanics, who are an important constituency for November's congressional elections.
The president, speaking at American University, criticized the Arizona law but made no mention of a potential lawsuit by his administration to block it before it goes into affect on July 29. The U.S. Justice Department is expected to file a lawsuit challenging the law shortly. [ID:nN29176898]

Obama did not lay out a timetable for passing national reform but said he was ready to pursue the issue if Democrats and Republicans could work together.

"I'm ready to move forward, the majority of Democrats are ready to move forward and I believe the majority of Americans are ready to move forward," he said.

"Reform that brings accountability to our immigration system cannot pass without Republican votes. That is the political and mathematical reality." Didn't stop health care did it?Both Democrats and Republicans are aware of that political reality, and some in the opposition party accused the president of pandering to his voter base.

Obama's speech on immigration came a day after he ripped Republicans for opposing financial reform and siding with big oil companies, new signs of a White House gearing up for tough elections in the fall. Democrats, who control both houses of Congress, are widely expected to lose seats. No Shit
But with energy legislation, financial reform and the economy topping his agenda, Obama is unlikely to make immigration a centerpiece of his campaign to help Democrats hold on to power.

"In an environment where the Democrats feel vulnerable and where the economy is so bad, trying to say we need to give eventual citizenship to illegal immigrants is a very tough sell politically, and for the public," said Steven Camarota, research director at the Center for Immigration Studies.

"IT WON'T WORK"

In a gesture to the opposition party, Obama had rare words of praise for his predecessor, George W. Bush, calling him courageous for working toward immigration reform while he was in office. That attempt proved unsuccessful.

Republican Senator Orrin Hatch characterized Obama's speech as "little more than cynical political pandering to his left wing political base and is more about giving backdoor amnesty to illegal immigrants than real reform."
In May, Obama said he wanted to begin work on immigration reform this year. He supports a system that holds undocumented immigrants "accountable" by having them pay a fine, pay taxes, learn English and become citizens. Yeah right. LOL
"No matter how decent they are, no matter their reasons, the 11 million who broke these laws should be held accountable," Obama said.

He also backs tightening border security and clamping down on employers that hire undocumented workers. Yeah that's right punish the American for hiring that damn immigrant He highlighted those points on Thursday, while saying the slow system of processing legal immigrants must be fixed, too.

The president also argued against relying on closed borders alone to fix the problem.

"There are those who argue that we should not move forward with any other elements of reform until we have fully sealed our borders," he said. "Our borders are just too vast for us to be able to solve the problem only with fences and border patrols. It won't work."

Republicans have honed in on the border issue, which is a top priority for voters in border states such as Arizona.

"If he would take amnesty off the table and make a real commitment to border and interior security, he will find strong bipartisan support," said Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell.

"But attacks on states filling the breach created by the failure of the federal government won't secure the border, grow jobs or create solutions for what we all agree is a broken immigration system," he said. (Additional reporting by Matt Spetalnick in Washington and Carolina Madrid in Los Angeles; editing by Philip Barbara)

Is it Christmas time already?

As pointed out here -- punish the people that employ illegal workers. Also, convert the illegals from Catholicism and maybe we can put off that whole Latin American thing a few more decades.