PDA

View Full Version : UK's most famous welfare family... how much do they recieve?

Diamondjimi
07-05-2010, 03:24 PM
The Canadian Press
Cost of the queen: less than $1 per person a year

Mon Jul 5, 9:35 AM

By Jill Lawless, The Associated Press

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2008/12/03/1203_queen_elizabeth_getty-1.jpg

LONDON - Like millions of her subjects, Queen Elizabeth II is going to have to make do and mend — cutting spending and putting off palace repairs as royal finances are squeezed by Britain's budget crisis.

Accounts published Monday by Buckingham Palace reveal the total public cost of supporting the monarchy was 38.2 million pounds ($57.8 million) in the year to March 31, the equivalent of 62 pence (94 cents) per person. The total is more than 3 million pounds less than in 2008-2009.

Britain's public sector is facing cuts as the government tries to eliminate a record deficit, and Alan Reid, Keeper of the Privy Purse, said the royal household "is acutely aware of the difficult economic climate" and will be cutting costs and putting off essential maintenance.

The 84-year-old queen receives 7.9 million pounds of public money each year to pay for staff and other costs, an amount that has not risen in 20 years. The accounts show also drew an extra 6.5 million pounds from a reserve fund built up over the years by saving portions of her allocated budget.

If the queen continues to use money from her reserve at the current rate, the fund will run out by 2012 — the year she celebrates her 60th year on the throne.

She had been expected to ask for an increase in basic funding this year, but the government — which is bringing in deep cuts to welfare payments and spending programs — imposed a freeze until at least next year.

The accounts show the government spent more than 15 million pounds on the upkeep of royal residences including Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle, and almost 4 million pounds on royal travel. Both amounts were down from the previous year.

Reid said the royal household would be cutting its property services budget by half a million pounds, "implementing a head count freeze and reviewing every vacancy to see if we can avoid replacement."

He said "the necessary cuts in public expenditure will have an impact on the backlog of essential maintenance which it is hoped can be addressed in the longer term."

"In the meantime, the household is continuing to pursue opportunities to reduce costs and generate income from the estate's assets, including commercial lettings and management charges," he said.

News of the royal cost-cutting did not satisfy the anti-monarchy group Republic, which held a protest outside Buckingham Palace on Monday.

Campaign manager Graham Smith said Britain's monarchy was the most expensive in Europe, and "continues to waste many millions of pounds of taxpayers' money when front line services are being threatened."

"It's time to slash the budgets without reservation or sentiment," he said.

Linky-poo (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100705/world/eu_britain_royal_costs)

http://www.wnd.com/images2/queennosepick.jpg

Reverberator
07-05-2010, 03:30 PM
I may have said this a few times before but I would have fucked the Queen when she was younger ... and most probably would have a go on her now , after a few pints.

I might not be on her for a while ... there's no internet connection in the Bloody Tower.

Diamondjimi
07-05-2010, 04:04 PM
I may have said this a few times before but I would have fucked the Queen when she was younger ...

Up the Crudder?

Blaze
07-05-2010, 07:22 PM
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/8JY8xlq5V2M/0.jpghttp://sassyconservative.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/hm-queen-elizabeth-ii.jpg

Seshmeister
07-05-2010, 07:44 PM
It's interesting that this story is coming out of Canada at the moment when they have just spent the equivalent of 20 years of the cost of the royal family on a pointless week of G8/G20 meetings.

Nitro Express
07-06-2010, 01:58 AM
The British royal family are probably some of the richest people on the planet. I know the queen holds a lot of BP shares amongst other things. As far as being a tax burdon, the tourist attraction probably makes up for that. I mean any first timer to London is going to go to see the changing of the guard, go to the Tower of London, and go out to Windsor Castle. We went to the races at Ascott and we could see the queen and the queen mother up in their box watching the races.

Nitro Express
07-06-2010, 02:31 AM
It's interesting that this story is coming out of Canada at the moment when they have just spent the equivalent of 20 years of the cost of the royal family on a pointless week of G8/G20 meetings.

G8/G20 meetings don't generate the tourist income that The Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, and Windsor Castle do.

Seshmeister
07-06-2010, 05:18 AM
Plenty of people visit the the Palace of Versailles though and the French got rid of their royals years ago.

I'd happily kick them the fuck out the country as I'm against them in principle but the money argument isn't a very good one since all countries have to pay for their Head of State and to look after their historical landmarks.

Obama has two private jets and over 400 security guards...

DavidLeeNatra
07-06-2010, 05:29 AM
Plenty of people visit the the Palace of Versailles though and the French got rid of their royals years ago.

I'd happily kick them the fuck out the country as I'm against them in principle but the money argument isn't a very good one since all countries have to pay for their Head of State and to look after their historical landmarks.

Obama has two private jets and over 400 security guards...

sesh...you scottish son of a whisky drinking bagpipe blowing bitch...if there was a Stuart on the throne you'd be having his flag as your avatar...

Seshmeister
07-06-2010, 05:33 AM
The British royal family are probably some of the richest people on the planet.

$440 million.

It would keep me in vodka for a while but according to the Forbes rich list the 100th richest person in the world has 15 times that.

Seshmeister
07-06-2010, 05:37 AM
sesh...you scottish son of a whisky drinking bagpipe blowing bitch...if there was a Stuart on the throne you'd be having his flag as your avatar...

LOL!

I'm impressed with your knowledge of our history but the first king of Britain was a Stuart Scottish king, James and he was a dick too so maybe not. :)

DavidLeeNatra
07-06-2010, 06:34 AM
LOL!

I'm impressed with your knowledge of our history but the first king of Britain was a Stuart Scottish king, James and he was a dick too so maybe not. :)

and the last king of scotland who should have become beheaded was this man, I guess...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dvsbBl7nnLY/R4AiQBg2tyI/AAAAAAAAAro/PZwJsRBo8wA/s400/Berti+Vogts.jpg

Seshmeister
07-06-2010, 07:30 AM
Don't remind me.

It took us years to get over him taking us to 80 something in the World Rankings and just as we were back with a decent seeding so we could qualify for the World cup they appointed another idiot who fucked it up.

He's been sacked now but we have Spain in the next qualifying.

DavidLeeNatra
07-06-2010, 07:34 AM
we have Spain in the next qualifying.

don't worry...when we are finished with them tomorrow you can send the farm team ;)

Seshmeister
07-06-2010, 07:45 AM
I hope so, we need you to completely destroy their morale.

Either that or for their plane to crash on the way home. :)

Actually I'm pretty sure you will beat them.

DavidLeeNatra
07-06-2010, 08:05 AM
I hope so, we need you to completely destroy their morale.

Either that or for their plane to crash on the way home. :)

Actually I'm pretty sure you will beat them.

problem is...we destroy them and the dutch rebuild them in the fag final...but that belongs in another thread...

jero
07-06-2010, 08:13 AM
But in this thread I say: FUCK YOU!

Reverberator
07-06-2010, 06:20 PM
62 pence per person... I think that's good value , for some of the funniest comadae i've ever seen ... fuck , Phil the Greek is worth that alone.

Diamondjimi
07-06-2010, 06:29 PM

What a fucking joke that shit was. Toronto was locked down. People stayed home. The city lost big $$$ because of that G20 horseshit...