PDA

View Full Version : DNA Tests Show King Tut Was Western European

Hardrock69
07-12-2010, 08:45 AM
http://www.eutimes.net/2010/06/king-tuts-dna-is-western-european/

King Tut’s DNA is Western European

Posted by EU Times on Jun 7th, 2010

Despite the refusal of the Secretary General of the Egyptian Supreme Council of Antiquities, Zahi Hawass, to release any DNA results which might indicate the racial ancestry of Pharaoh Tutankhamen, the leaked results reveal that King Tut’s DNA is a 99.6 percent match with Western European Y chromosomes.

The DNA test results were inadvertently revealed on a Discovery Channel TV documentary filmed with Hawass’s permission — but it seems as if the Egyptian failed to spot the giveaway part of the documentary which revealed the test results.

Hawass previously announced that he would not release the racial DNA results of Egyptian mummies — obviously because he feared the consequences of such a revelation.

On the Discovery Channel broadcast, which can be seen on the Discovery Channel website here, or if they pull it, on YouTube here, at approximately 1:53 into the video, the camera pans over a printout of DNA test results from King Tut.

Firstly, here is a brief explanation of the results visible in the video. It is a list of what is called Short Tandem Repeats (STRs).

STRs are repeated DNA sequences which are “short repeat units” whose characteristics make them especially suitable for human identification.

These STR values for 17 markers visible in the video are as follows:
DYS 19 – 14 (? not clear)
DYS 385a – 11
DYS 385b – 14
DYS 389i – 13
DYS 389ii – 30
DYS 390 – 24
DYS 391 – 11
DYS 392 – 13
DYS 393 – 13
DYS 437 – 14 (? not clear)
DYS 438 – 12
DYS 439 – 10
DYS 448 – 19
DYS 456 – 15
DYS 458 – 16
DYS 635 – 23
YGATAH4 – 11

What does this mean? Fortunately, a genius by the name of Whit Athey provides the key to this list. Mr Athey is a retired physicist whose working career was primarily at the Food and Drug Administration where he was chief of one of the medical device labs.

Mr Athey received his doctorate in physics and biochemistry at Tufts University, and undergraduate (engineering) and masters (math) degrees at Auburn University. For several years during the 1980s, he also taught one course each semester in the electrical engineering department of the University of Maryland. Besides his interest in genetic genealogy, he is an amateur astronomer and has his own small observatory near his home in Brookeville, MD.

He also runs a very valuable website called the “Haplogroup Predictor” which allows users to input STR data and generate the haplogroup which marks those STR data.

For those who want to know what a haplogroup is, here is a “simple” definition: a haplogroup is a group of similar haplotypes that share a common ancestor with a single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) mutation.

Still none the wiser? Damn these scientists.

Ok, let’s try it this way: a haplotype is a combination of multiple specific locations of a gene or DNA sequence on a chromosome.

Haplogroups are assigned letters of the alphabet, and refinements consist of additional number and letter combinations, for example R1b or R1b1. Y-chromosome and mitochondrial DNA haplogroups have different haplogroup designations. In essence, haplogroups give an inisight into ancestral origins dating back thousands of years.

By entering all the STR data inadvertently shown on the Discovery video, a 99.6 percent fit with the R1b haplogroup is revealed.

The significance is, of course, that R1b is the most common Y-chromosome haplogroup in Europe reaching its highest concentrations in Ireland, Scotland, western England and the European Atlantic seaboard — in other words, European through and through.
http://i25.tinypic.com/32zry2s.jpg

So much for the Afro-centrists and others who have derided the very obvious northwestern European appearance of a large number of the pharonic mummies. It seems like March of the Titans was right after all…

VAiN
07-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Cool, very interesting stuff! Thanks!

chefcraig
07-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Hell, I thought everybody knew this since sometime in 1978...

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/998/akinktut.jpg (http://img10.imageshack.us/i/akinktut.jpg/)

Hardrock69
07-12-2010, 04:45 PM
LMAO! No shit!

Buried in his jammies!
:hee:

GAR
07-13-2010, 02:50 AM
So in other words, the Scots designed engineered and built the Pyramids of Egypt while ruling it, too?

We Celts get more shit done in our sleep than the rest of the world in a week. Now it turns out it's always been this way and I'm not surprised.

GAR
07-13-2010, 02:51 AM
Next thing you'll discover, is the Scots taught the Arabs mathematics and algebra!

Seshmeister
07-13-2010, 07:15 AM
http://www.eutimes.net/2010/06/king-tuts-dna-is-western-european/

Dump this shit!

Dude you hopefully don't know that the EU Times is a racist site run by neo Nazi scum.

http://www.splcenter.org/blog/2009/12/16/racist-skinheads-wife-behind-european-news-website/

Read the comments under your initial article.

I didn't realise at first myself until I read the line about 'March of the Titans' which was written by a well known English racist.

They are using stealth tactics, an old facist trick which goes back to the days of Goebbels in the late 20s.

Seshmeister
07-13-2010, 07:31 AM
Also if you look into it deeper its a bullshit article to propogate either racism or UFO woo.

Some people will find that the original site that Hardrock posted is actually blocked as a hate site by their firewall.

Luckily it has been flying around the internet enough for an expert to address it.

http://michaelsheiser.com/PaleoBabble/2010/07/does-king-tuts-dna-prove-he-was-western-european/

12 July 2010
Does King Tut’s DNA Prove He Was Western European?

Posted by MSH under: Ancient Astronauts; Ancient Egypt; Ancient Studies & Technology .

This weekend I received a link via email to a news story about how the King Tut DNA proved he was Western European. The sender is an erstwhile ancient astronaut (and especially Zecharia Sitchin) supporter. Somehow, he thought that this idea (if it were true) proved Sitchin was right. I know. You’re trying to connect those dots as you read. Good luck. Even if it were the case, such DNA distribution is easily explainable by things like human migration (i.e., people were migrating long before there was an ancient Egypt as we know it; no aliens needed).

But I was naturally suspicious of the report. I’m not versed in genetics, but I know people who are. And in this case, someone who has followed the King Tut material closely: Kate Phizackerley, who writes an excellent Egyptology blog. I’ve linked to her material before here at PaleoBabble, and I’ve also brought it to some of my students at WWU in my ancient Egypt class.

I sent Kate the story (beware that the some site filters grade it as dangerous; here’s an alternate version of the story) and asked her to look into it. She was quick on the draw. She posted her take on this topic today (Kate, we’ve never met, but if we do, I owe you lunch). Here is Kate’s response.

http://www.kv64.info/2010/07/was-tutankhamun-european-consideratons.html

It’s fair, it’s thorough and it’s technical in places. It’s also the best discussion of this you’ll find on the web. It shows once again that the three most potent antidotes in the world to ancient astronaut nonsense (and paleobabble of all kinds) are primary sources, peer-reviewed science, and logic.

Some pulled highlight quotations from her response:

* Observing the haplogroup of an individual tells us about the individual’s haplogroup but it doesn’t directly reveal the haplogroup of their ancestors. If somebody speaks perfect English, that doesn’t mean their parents also spoke perfect English: they might have spoken Spanish or Hindi. It’s dangerous to extrapolate from one individual.
* Even if Tutankhamun’s haplogroup is R1b that doesn’t mean his paternal ancestors were R1b as well. They might have been a different haplogroup but have diverged from it by genetic mutation. At the least, the analysis would need to show that Tutankhamun and his couldn’t be any other haplogroup, or at least that it would be statistically unlikely. Showing that R1b is possible is not the same as showing that other haplogroups are not possible.
* This though is the crux. Even if you believe that Tutankhamun and his ancestors had a haplogroup of R1b would that make him European. In short, not necessarily and, I believe once other factors are taken into account, almost certainly not.
* Rather than look to Europe for an explanation, I think it is significantly more likely to look to the Sahara. At the end of the Ice Age we know it was a fertile savannah. If you talk with Andie Byrnes or read her blog on the Western Desserts, you’ll learn that ancient petroglyphs are present all across the Libyan dessert as well as the Egyptian. We believe that the Sahara was well populated. As dessertification took place, the population would migrate in search of water. Inevitably many must have followed the great rivers like the Niger into Southwestern Subharan Africa. Other might have migrated eastwards into Egypt and settled around Egypt’s western oases – notably Siwa – and perhaps into the Nile Valley itself. Such an explanation could, I believe, easily account for a haplogroup of R1b in the New Kingdom royal male line and seems entirely more plausible, in the context of social anthropology, than reaching to Europe for an explanation.

Pity as I have to admit having been to Valley of the Kings a few years back part of me really liked the thought I might be related to the Pharohs, oh well...

Hardrock69
07-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Thanks for posting that, but does it somehow magically erase King Tut's DNA?

So what if his DNA is from that haplogroup? It only means sometime in history prior to his life, his ancestors were in Western Europe. MY DNA haplogroup originates mainly in the Mediterranean and Northern Africa. Does not mean I was born there.

Why are you so irate over something like this? The idiot you quoted posted the following "Even if it were the case, such DNA distribution is easily explainable by things like human migration (i.e., people were migrating long before there was an ancient Egypt as we know it; no aliens needed)."

There is nothing in the original article having to do with 'aliens'. The article was on King Tut's DNA haplogroup.

So Sesh, are you suddenly a DNA expert who can prove King Tut does not belong to that haplogroup? :hee:
Gee this is interesting. I surely would love to be able to instantly have a Phd and a lifetime of intensive experience in a field I know nothing about. Is there some kind of pill for this? LSD perhaps? :lol: :tongue0011:

Hardrock69
07-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Next thing you'll discover, is the Scots taught the Arabs mathematics and algebra!

Next thing you'll discover, once you wake up from your latest drunk, is what a fucking loser you are. STFU.

Seshmeister
07-13-2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks for posting that, but does it somehow magically erase King Tut's DNA?

So what if his DNA is from that haplogroup? It only means sometime in history prior to his life, his ancestors were in Western Europe. MY DNA haplogroup originates mainly in the Mediterranean and Northern Africa. Does not mean I was born there.

Why are you so irate over something like this? The idiot you quoted posted the following "Even if it were the case, such DNA distribution is easily explainable by things like human migration (i.e., people were migrating long before there was an ancient Egypt as we know it; no aliens needed)."

There is nothing in the original article having to do with 'aliens'. The article was on King Tut's DNA haplogroup.

So Sesh, are you suddenly a DNA expert who can prove King Tut does not belong to that haplogroup? :hee:
Gee this is interesting. I surely would love to be able to instantly have a Phd and a lifetime of intensive experience in a field I know nothing about. Is there some kind of pill for this? LSD perhaps? :lol: :tongue0011:

No what you do is if you don't have the expertise you look at who is making the claim.

In this case we have an article on a neo Nazi website claiming a retired biologist got a DNA reading from freeze framing a Discovery channel show.

I have to apologise a bit though because I misread the response I posted and assumed that it was from an expert which it wasn't.

I do find it really dubious though that someone can come up with a figure of 99.6% from a freeze of a TV show.

Human DNA is 98.8% the same as a chimp...

Hardrock69
07-13-2010, 09:32 AM
By the way it is entirely possible to read documents by freeze-framing video.

chefcraig
07-13-2010, 10:44 AM
By the way it is entirely possible to read documents by freeze-framing video.

That much I'm willing to buy, but some of these claims are beyond loony. For instance, there was one of those millions of tv "documentaries" on the Roswell crash a few months ago, broadcast by the History Channel. In the show, there was a computer geek claiming that using technology he could "read" what was printed on a sheet of paper held by Gen. Roger Ramey during the Roswell "de-briefing" press conference. The wording supposedly had instructions for the UFO and it's aliens to be carted up and shipped to a military base somewhere.

Uh-huh, and if my aunt had wheels she'd be a wagon.

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/9082/roswellramey.jpg (http://img638.imageshack.us/i/roswellramey.jpg/)

Hardrock69
07-13-2010, 10:56 AM
By the way, I did not post this as something concerning any 'racist' crap, even though . I do not give two hoots about racist agendas or the assholes that want to argue them. Sorta like I pointed out above....IF the DNA results from the video are accurate enough to determine his ancestors were from Western Europe, I just find it as a piece of random 'interesting' info.

As it is, a large group of people called the Hyksos arrived in Egypt several hundred years before King Tut was born, eventually becoming the ruling class, and scientists are unsure of their origins.

As for the 99.6% figure, the guy who analyzed the DNA from freeze-framing the video did not have complete data. Notice these two items:

So sure, I would say the data in that article is incomplete, but only by a few tenths of a percentage point.

These days anyone can get their DNA profile. My Dad has submitted DNA samples for genealogy research (proved we were descended from one guy in Baltimore, MD in 1720), and just for such research you can get tested for 67 markers, though our test was with only 24 markers I think, as that was all that was available at the time.

Sorry I do not have time to research where the so-called 'experts' in these articles went to elementary school, or what their deepest, darkest opinions are concerning the color of people's skin.

I guess I will just stop posting about anything historical prior to 2010 that I have not witnessed myself, as I cannot fly all over the Earth (nor go back in time) to verify every aspect people's resume or the information they are providing.
:notme:

That goes for any stories on CNN or your local news as well, as we all know they are works of fiction.

We exist in The Matrix, you know. :confused13:

Hardrock69
07-13-2010, 11:01 AM
I can still tell Garfuckle to Shut The Fuck Up, though. :hee:

Jagermeister
07-13-2010, 11:06 AM
By the way, I did not post this as something concerning any 'racist' crap, even though . I do not give two hoots about racist agendas or the assholes that want to argue them. :

Please leave that to the experts. I have some killer stuff on tap for later today that is sure to stir up some cuntroversy.:biggrin:

Maybe I'm kinda busy today.

Seshmeister
07-13-2010, 11:31 AM
As for the 99.6% figure, the guy who analyzed the DNA from freeze-framing the video did not have complete data. Notice these two items:

That's a good point.

He only has 15/17 of these data items and he's claiming 99.6% accuracy on DNA?

As far as the racism goes it shows how you need to be pretty sure of your facts with this kind of shit as once it's out there the neo nazi's will try and use it. I can't believe that retired people who worked in a different field freeze framing the Discovery channel is a sufficient level of research.

GAR
07-13-2010, 11:35 AM
They are using stealth tactics, an old facist trick which goes back to the days of Goebbels in the late 20s.

So WHAT! It worked for Rahm Emmanuel to get his boy into the big power chair dinnit?

GAR
07-13-2010, 11:38 AM
That's a good point.

He only has 15/17 of these data items and he's claiming 99.6% accuracy on DNA?

They're not 15 out of 17 Arabic markers.. DUH~!!

Nickdfresh
07-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Dump this shit!

Dude you hopefully don't know that the EU Times is a racist site run by neo Nazi scum.

http://www.splcenter.org/blog/2009/12/16/racist-skinheads-wife-behind-european-news-website/

Read the comments under your initial article.

I didn't realise at first myself until I read the line about 'March of the Titans' which was written by a well known English racist.

I agree that HR69 needs to be a bit more discerning of his sources. There was another one he once used that was little more than a pseudo-WWII site that was nothing more than a Holocaust-denier site trying to go mainstream...

Seshmeister
07-13-2010, 11:44 AM
To be fair they called themselves the European Union Times which is really fucking sneaky.

Especially considering they usually campaign against the European Union.

Nickdfresh
07-13-2010, 11:49 AM
The Holocaust denial site is "Institute for Historical Review," which is of course code for only 'reviewing' the treatment of European Jewry from 1941-1945... :)

GAR
07-13-2010, 11:52 AM
The Holocaust denial site is "Institute for Historical Review," which is of course code for only 'reviewing' the treatment of European Jewry from 1941-1945... :)

You mean, the secret code you hear in your head once you take the tinfoil off?

GAR
07-13-2010, 11:56 AM
http://kyalworld.com/Reconstructed%20Tutankhamun%20face%20c.f.%20%20Rea l%20face%20after%20re%20being%20revealed.jpg

I wonder if he wore a kilt, too..?

GAR
07-13-2010, 11:57 AM
http://www.mooncostumes.com/image/1151

Fuquannay! He DID wear a kilt!

Nickdfresh
07-13-2010, 12:12 PM
You mean, the secret code you hear in your head once you take the tinfoil off?

GAR, huffing the Pine-Sol® fumes in the mop closet have made you even stupider....

Hardrock69
07-13-2010, 12:22 PM
I try to post only stuff from legitimate sources. And yes, the name of the website made it seem legit. My bad.
Overall, though, I have a good batting average, and post legit stuff 99.6% of the time, lol.