PDA

View Full Version : BWAHA!!!! RIAA SPENT $64 Milionl To Collect Only $1.4 Million, Which They Kept....

Hardrock69
07-15-2010, 08:43 AM
Why won't the RIAA give any of this cash to the artists? Supposedly they are suing people over downloading music recorded by OTHER FUCKING PEOPLE.

If I were an artists, I would sue the fuck out of the RIAA for not sharing proceeds with me, but then, with the RIAA's creative accounting practices (courtesy of the imaginary accounting departments at the major labels) I would most likely see a check for about 32 cents.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/RIAA-Spent-64-Million-On-Threats-Netting-Just-14-Million-109366

RIAA Spent $64 Million On Threats Netting Just $1.4 Million
And despite this money pit, RIAA execs keep getting raises
01:53PM Wednesday Jul 14 2010

P2PNet has managed to grab hold of the RIAA's tax documents for the last few years, and they make for some very entertaining reading. According to the RIAA’s disclosure form for just 2008, the outfit paid its lawyers more than $16,000,000 to recover $391,000 from P2P music traders. Between 2006 and 2008, the RIAA paid (mostly to lawyers) about $64 million to hunt down and threaten file sharers -- a process which only netted around $1.4 million (which didn't go to artists, of course).

All the while, the RIAA's six figure (or more) executives were busily giving themselves significant raises. For example, RIAA boss Mitch Bainwol pulled in more than $2 million in compensation in 2008, a cool half a million more than the RIAA's "let's vilify potential customer" campaign netted that entire year. RIAA president Cary Sherman pulled down a cool $984,615 in 2007, rising to $1,331,747 in 2008.

Granted, this isn't factoring the massive negative energy public relations pulsar the RIAA creates by engaging in actions that make the entire planet loathe the major recording labels (like suing grandmas, or convincing ISPs to threaten service termination for downloading a song). Imagine though, for a moment, what kind of innovative content broadband distribution piracy alternatives these funds could have helped create?

Details from P2Pnet.com here:

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/41631

Note that last sentence:

Imagine though, for a moment, what kind of innovative content broadband distribution piracy alternatives these funds could have helped create?

Actually, when the RIAA THREATENS the very consumers it is supposed to be selling music to, it causes people to CREATE innovative content broadband distribution (though not legal).

So I wonder...operating a flawed business model as noted above.....how long before the RIAA goes bankrupt? :lmao:

Fucking dumbasses.:umm:

Blaze
07-15-2010, 10:18 AM
:sigh:

Seshmeister
07-15-2010, 10:42 AM
What Jagger had to say is interesting.

BBC: What's your feeling on technology and music?

Jagger: Technology and music have been together since the beginning of recording. [The internet is] just one facet of the technology of music. Music has been aligned with technology for a long time. The model of records and record selling is a very complex subject and quite boring, to be honest.

BBC: But your view is valid because you have a huge catalogue, which is worth a lot of money, and you've been in the business a long time, so you have perspective.

Jagger: Well, it's all changed in the last couple of years. We've gone through a period where everyone downloaded everything for nothing and we've gone into a grey period it's much easier to pay for things - assuming you've got any money.

BBC: Are you quite relaxed about it?

Jagger: I am quite relaxed about it. But, you know, it is a massive change and it does alter the fact that people don't make as much money out of records. But I have a take on that - people only made money out of records for a very, very small time. When The Rolling Stones started out, we didn't make any money out of records because record companies wouldn't pay you! They didn't pay anyone!

Then, there was a small period from 1970 to 1997, where people did get paid, and they got paid very handsomely and everyone made money. But now that period has gone. So if you look at the history of recorded music from 1900 to now, there was a 25 year period where artists did very well, but the rest of the time they didn't.

Extending it back musicians or minstrels or whatever were never rich, they did it because they enjoyed it or were fulfilled by it.

The people that are really suffering are all those dodgy shitbags in the music industry and who cares about them?

GAR
07-15-2010, 08:33 PM
What Blaze said.

Seshmeister
07-15-2010, 10:24 PM
I thought you just said you had her on ignore???