PDA

View Full Version : Kid Upgrades Used Cell Phone For Porsche Boxter! No Shit!

Hardrock69
07-21-2010, 10:18 AM
http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/110125/how-to-upgrade-an-old-phone-into-a-porsche

How to Upgrade an Old Phone into a Porsche
by Joe Lynch
Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Steven Oritz, 17, stands next to his 2000 Porsche Boxster S at his home in Glendora, Calif. (SGVN/Staff photo by Watchara Phomicinda)
http://i29.tinypic.com/102qcd2.jpg

Most people throw away old cell phones without a second thought. Steven Ortiz is not like most teenagers. This 17-year-old Californian went on Craigslist to turn a used cell phone a friend gave him into a Porsche convertible. Harvard Business School, watch out for this guy.

Ortiz's story brings to mind the similar accomplishment of Kyle MacDonald, a Canadian who started "Craigslist swapping" with a red paperclip in 2005 and eventually ended up with a two-story farmhouse. Through his blog and the kindness of strangers, MacDonald made 14 swaps over the classifieds website, upgrading one item to a more valuable one until he ended up with a house a year later.

Craigslist isn't so different from a newspaper's classified section: People list items they no longer want for whatever reason. But sometimes instead of selling these items for paltry amounts of cash, online users barter with each other. For example, one person might be willing to part with a record collection. But that bin of old vinyl might be a treasure trove to someone with an extra bicycle on their hands. So people email back and forth, meet up, swap, and oftentimes end up owning something far more valuable than what they started with.

Unlike MacDonald and his red paperclip website, however, Ortiz didn't publicize his efforts—he did it quietly on his own. It took him one year longer than MacDonald, but the Glendale, CA, youth managed to turn an outdated phone into a 2000 Porsche Boxster S.

Ortiz spends five to six hours each day searching Craigslist for the right kind of swaps. Over the last two years and 14 trades, he's had an eclectic assortment of items in his possession, including an iPod touch, various dirt bikes, a MacBook Pro, a golf cart, and a 1975 Ford Bronco. It was the Bronco that allowed him to become the only kid at his high school who drives his own convertible Porsche to class.

Although his parents are proud of him and expect a great future for him in business, Ortiz is sad to report that some of his relatives think he's a swindler. "People just make these trades," he told the Whittier Daily News. "I am not lying to anyone."

More and more people are using the Internet as a virtual swap meet—only one with bigger and more specialized payoffs. For instance, Ortiz ended up with a 1987 Toyota 4Runner at one point because a musician decided he needed the MacBook that Ortiz was offering more than he needed the car.

In fact, when Ortiz made his final swap to get the sports car, he was actually trading down. After driving around the 1975 Ford Bronco—worth around $15,000—for a while, Steven decided to trade it for the renown of being a teenage Porsche owner, even though the Boxster was worth only $9,000.

In addition to phones, cars, and dirt bikes, some people are even turning to Craigslist for house swaps. No, families aren't trading house deeds over the Internet, but many vacationers have taken to switching homes as a cost-effective, comfortable way of avoiding hotels. Similarly, there is a rideshare section on Craigslist where car owners embarking on long trips offer strangers a ride in exchange for splitting gas costs.

Speaking of gas costs, Ortiz has changed his mind about keeping the Porsche. Hefty maintenance bills have dampened his excitement over the roadster, and he's looking to trade the Porsche for a more sensible Cadillac Escalade before too long.

sadaist
07-21-2010, 10:42 AM
I remember a guy did this similar thing a few years back on Craigslist. Started with a hair comb and ended with a house. I forget how many trades it took. Very cool indeed. Amazing what you can do if you set your mind to it.

Hardrock69
07-21-2010, 11:14 AM
I am sure you have to be really smart in trading only for things that are seriously undervalued by the people who no longer want them. But WOW! How cool is that?

Nitro Express
07-22-2010, 01:21 PM
I snagged a Lamborghini for $40,000 and could sell it now for $100,000. Spoiled people with money toss stuff away to get rid of it or people get over their heads and have to cut their losses. You can come in and make some good deals. I came out ahead on the Lambo because I have access to a state of the art machine shop ran by a relative who rebuilds expensive engines. Most people don't have this. A lot of things on trades have problems and there is a reason people are trading to get rid of it. The Porsche may have a bad engine or the farm house may have extensive termite damage or may be full of dry rot. Who knows. It makes a good story to write about and sell to the media but in many cases these people haven't made the great deals the story makes it look like.

Nitro Express
07-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Most people who buy and exotic car either wreak it ( one reason the new Ferraris have many new sensors and speed reduction controls built in) or find them to be uncomfortable and cumbersom to drive. Then you have the maintanance issues. Such cars draw too much attention from cops to weird people. Being in one all the time gets exausting and you eventually look forward to be in a normal car that nobody cares about or notices. This is why first time buyers of such cars sell them or they sit in the garage with a dead battery.

Hardrock69
07-22-2010, 02:18 PM
Much as I like Countachs, I am too tall to own one. I could fit in the drivers seat, but I could not even come close to stretching out my legs.

Just as I have no desire to be famous, I would have no desire to own one for reasons you mention. Don't like being bothered all the time by total strangers.

Nitro Express
07-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Much as I like Countachs, I am too tall to own one. I could fit in the drivers seat, but I could not even come close to stretching out my legs.

Just as I have no desire to be famous, I would have no desire to own one for reasons you mention. Don't like being bothered all the time by total strangers.

The fuel tanks on a Countach are on the side so you actually slide over and down the gas tank into your seat so they are far from being the easiest cars to get in and out of. To back one up you actually have to hang out the door of the car to see because the rear window is useless. When I drive mine I park at the far end of the parking lot and if somebody parks in front of me I get pissed because then I have to back it. Great cars on the open road, a total bitch to drive in town.

I'm 5'11" and the foot well fits me fine but it's the long reach to the steering wheel I don't like. It's the same on a Ferrari. The peddles are up close but man do you have to reach out for the steering wheel on these Italian exotics.

Hardrock69
07-22-2010, 07:22 PM
The reach would actually be just fine for me, as I set my seat all the way back when I drive. Have to.
And it is a common thing for the Countach replicas to have a rear-mounted video cam, so you can back up without having to hang out the door.

Even though I most likely cannot drive the sucker, I have to envy anyone who owns one, just because, lol.

I always thought it would be cool to design a knockoff that took care of the drawbacks. Something with better cooling for the brakes, something easier to get in and out of, with easier line of sight out of the back window, and for me, something with a stretched interior for tall people, yet with the same kickass body shape.

Nitro Express
07-23-2010, 03:52 AM
Countachs are built like tanks. They have a full body tubular frame which is very strong and expensive to make. The body panels are aluminum and the floor pan is actually fiberglass. The engine is huge with six carburators. The wheels were hand cast in magnesium at the Lamborghini factory and each one is a little different when you get up and look at them.

As far as driving one everything is heavy duty. The clutch peddle is very stiff and so is the steering. The shifter knob is very solid feeling and it takes muscle to go through the gears. Lot's of passing power and torque on demand. Normal driving cars feel cheap and flimbsy. I came back from a Saturday morning of driving the Lambo and then drove my wife's Honda and it felt like a gutless piece of weak shit. LOL!

Nitro Express
07-23-2010, 03:56 AM
The only mod I made to my car is I installed an electric water pump. These cars have trouble cooling the engine and an electric pump helps a lot. The camera sounds like a cool idea but the more mods you do the more you hurt the collectors value.

Hardrock69
07-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Naturally. Even were I rich, and determined to own one, I would most likely get an exact replica instead, as if somehow it got damaged, it would not screw up the limited supply of authentic cars. And I would not feel too guilty about driving it into the ground, lol.