PDA

View Full Version : The singer that lost her figure and gained on one of the best voices in rock

Sensible Shoes
07-25-2010, 01:32 AM
Because this was "Lifetime" I doubt any of you saw it. I have never heard Ann Wilson sound better. Yeah yeah, I know she looks like hell. Turn up the volume and don't look at the screen if it bothers you.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GYbyCIxSY_w&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GYbyCIxSY_w&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

GAR
07-25-2010, 02:09 AM
She's still married to that director-guy?

Sensible Shoes
07-25-2010, 02:27 AM
No idea, didnt look up any of the stats just listening.

Sensible Shoes
07-25-2010, 02:45 AM
Mike Fisher, guitarist Roger Fisher's brother, ........ met Ann at a Hocus Pocus show.[5] According to Nancy, that meeting was "when she and Michael fell in love"[1] and Ann decided to follow Mike back to Canada.[3][6] Steve Fossen finished his college education before he also decided to move to Canada in late 1972,[7][13][14] and Roger followed in late 1972 / early 1973,[5][7] and along with Mike and Ann, the band Heart was officially formed.[4][6][7] Nancy joined in 1974, and soon after became involved with Roger. In 1974 the Heart lineup consisted of Ann, Nancy, Roger, Steve, John Hannah (keyboards) and Brian Johnstone (drums).

After the 77-city "Dog and Butterfly" tour, the Wilson-Fisher liaisons ended. Roger left the band in the fall of 1979 after having a breakdown on stage and throwing a guitar near Nancy's head backstage.[17] Michael was no longer their manager and left Ann for another woman.[17

In 1977 Heart's record label, Mushroom Records, fueled rumors that Ann and Nancy were lesbian lovers by running a full-page ad in Rolling Stone showing the sisters bare-shouldered (as appearing on the "Dreamboat Annie" album cover) and suggestively captioned "It was only our first time". When a reporter suggested, backstage after a live appearance, that the sisters were sex partners, Ann returned to her hotel room and began writing the lyrics to "Barracuda" to relieve her frustration.[17] The song became one of Heart's biggest hits (#11, 1977).

In June 1986, Nancy Wilson married journalist, screenwriter and director Cameron Crowe.

Igosplut
07-25-2010, 05:55 AM
How very Janis sounding on the intro. Everybody gets old.....Some differently than others. they have to be close to their 60s now...

Seshmeister
07-25-2010, 06:46 AM
Even back in the day it was all done with smoke and mirrors. At the time the 'Alone' and 'These Dreams' videos were all over MTV friends of mine were stunned when they went to a live show to see a 500lb Anne Wilson waddle out.

It shouldn't matter but it does.

I think it was Joe Elliot who said you can stay a rock star as long as you don't get fat or lose your hair. Not completely true because a few people have got away with losing their hair...

Igosplut
07-25-2010, 09:01 AM
Also easy to throw stones on the internets where all the posters are beautiful and trim behind the screens....

sadaist
07-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Also easy to throw stones on the internets where all the posters are beautiful and trim behind the screens....

Are you peeping at me again? :hee:

But yeah, I was surprised when I first saw "fat" Anne. She was pretty hot in the 80's videos, even though the camera didn't stay on her for very long and moved fast. But she is an incredible singer. Seen Heart twice and both times they were just beyond excellent. Sure I'd love it if she stayed hot and still sang like she does. But we don't get everything we want......obviously (CVH). She kicks ass so I don't care if she is a fattie. Rock on Anne!

sadaist
07-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Fat women are like mopeds.

Super fun to ride...but you don't want your friends to see you ride one.

Seshmeister
07-25-2010, 11:44 AM

We were throwing stones at Heart long before the world wide web was invented. :)

In any case I think its kind of ok to hold rock star singers to a higher level of looking after themselves than the average person on the internet.

You could argue that all those quick camera angles and soft focus in their videos was false advertising... :)

Seshmeister
07-25-2010, 11:50 AM
Wow she really is a determined eater. Gastric banding usually works, it even worked on Sharon Osbourne.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/spotlighthealth/2002-12-11-wilson-weightloss_x.htm

Posted 12/11/2002 11:09 AM

Ann Wilson finds a weight-loss hit

By Mike Falcon, Spotlight Health, with medical adviser Stephen A. Shoop, M.D.

For rock star Ann Wilson, controlling her weight had been a lifelong challenge. But now Heart's lead singer is thrilled by her weight loss, changing figure, and increased energy after undergoing a new laparoscopic surgical procedure called LAP-BAND Adjustable Gastric Banding System.

"Every single diet has worked," says Ann Wilson. "Temporarily, just for a minute."
Spotlight Health
"I am pretty thrilled," says Wilson, who has lost 60 pounds. "It's a long, slow thrill."

Performed last January, Wilson had an adjustable band placed around the upper portion of her stomach. This creates a smaller gastric pouch that limits both the amount of food the stomach will hold and restricts food flow, allowing a person to more easily lose weight.

And losing weight had concerned Wilson since early childhood. "It started for me when I was very young," says Wilson, who as a third-grader weighed 100 pounds.

"As an adolescent, being heavy and being a girl has got to be the worst, because you get so excluded and so laughed about," she says. "Fashion is so important and being accepted is so important, and none of those things are available to you."

And for millions, no matter how hard they diet, or how often they try, the results are the same. "Every single diet has worked," says Wilson. "Temporarily, just for a minute."

"Atkins, Scarsdale, Cambridge, the cabbage soup diet, the fruit diet, juice fasting, rice, plain fasting," she recalls, rattling off her diet list. "Then there's eating only protein and no carbs, or eating only carbs and no protein. It was impossible. It just would not work."

But after the success of her LAP-BAND surgery, Wilson is passionate about helping others lose weight.

The rocker will be sharing her experience during a chat on USAToday.com this Friday, Dec 13 at 4PM ET and is headlining Spotlight Health's campaign to increase public awareness about the LAP-BAND procedure. The initiative is sponsored by the LAP-BAND's manufacturer, Inamed Health.

Weight-loss surgery

According to the bariatric surgeons who specialize in procedures that alter the structure and function of the digestive tract, Wilson's dieting experiences are typical for many who are morbidly obese – generally about 100 pounds or more over their ideal body weight.

"It's not that these people haven't tried, and tried again and again," notes Brian Quebbemann, the bariatric surgeon who placed Wilson's LAP-BAND. "It's that a combination of factors, including genetic predisposition, cultural norms, and family and individual behaviors combine to make successful dieting as many of us know it just about impossible for some others."

This claim is backed up by the Obesity Task Force of the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and American College of Endocrinology, that found eventhough patients on diets, exercise programs, or medication are able to lose approximately 10% of their body weight, they tend to regain two-thirds of it within one year, and almost all of it within five years.

After decades of being overweight and carrying about 100 pounds more than Wilson wanted on her 5'7" frame, she finally opted for bariatric surgery.

Gastric bypasses are the most familiar of these surgeries. But after extensive discussions with Quebbemann, who regularly performs both operations, Wilson elected the LAP-BAND procedure.

"I generally don't recommend one procedure over the other," says Quebbemann. "Both are good for most patients, so I explain the aspects of each and how they work, and their differences. The patients generally know themselves quite well, so it's very important that they select – with expert input – what works best for them."

A gastric bypass divides the stomach by stapling to create a thumb-sized stomach pouch, and then connects the outlet of the pouch directly to the intestine, essentially "bypassing" the lower stomach, but preserving the flow of digestive juices.

While this restricts the volume and type of food consumed, sugars and fats, as well as liquids consumed with meals, cause discomfort known as the "dumping syndrome." Consequently, patients are prompted to eat more protein.

Instead of stapling the stomach, a LAP-BAND procedure allows surgeons to place a hollow silicone band around it. This is done laparoscopically, using several tiny incisions instead of a single large one. The band can then be inflated or deflated to adjust the degree to which food consumption is restricted.

If necessary, the band can also be removed, restoring the stomach's original anatomy. FDA-approved in June 2001, clinical trials of this system report losses of excess body weight ranging from 53.6% to 88.5%.

Band aid

"Although we are guarded about every new procedure, the nice thing about this is that it provides an operation that reduces only the volume of food intake," says Walter J. Pories, president of the American Society for Bariatric Surgery. "Also, because the band is adjustable and doesn't invade the stomach itself, it shows great promise." Pories is also a professor of surgery at East Carolina University, one of the trial sites for LAP-BAND approval.

"I like the idea of the LAP-BAND because it's a natural tool," says Wilson. "I am not ready to change the inner landscape of my body. This is just something that's going to remind me when it's time to stop eating."

Because the intestinal tract is not bypassed or rerouted, the LAP-BAND procedure offers a faster operation and quicker recovery. "It's very simple," says Quebbemann. "And that's part of the beauty of it."

"But it's still a drastic step," says Wilson, who thoroughly investigated and discussed the procedure with her doctor before going forward.

"As with any manmade artificial device, there are things that can go wrong," says Quebbemann. "But generally, with the LAP-BAND, repairing or replacing it is a minor issue."

Consuming mass quantities of food is a bad idea at any time after the surgery – the food can be regurgitated. With a newly placed LAP-BAND, slippage could result.

"Patient management is very important," advises Quebbemann. "We all have to keep in mind that a gastric band is solely a restrictive procedure that slows down the rate at which you eat."

"You really have to chew, and chew, and chew your food some more," says Wilson. Large pieces of food or food that has not been chewed well can stress the band.

"But you can eat anything," notes Wilson. "You can eat regular food. It just has to be healthy food and you just have to eat it in small quantities and stop when you're full. That's really all it is."

VanHalener
07-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Because this was "Lifetime" I doubt any of you saw it. I have never heard Ann Wilson sound better. Yeah yeah, I know she looks like hell. Turn up the volume and don't look at the screen if it bothers you.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GYbyCIxSY_w&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GYbyCIxSY_w&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I really like this performance. I like it so much I
would take her big ass back stage, or on stage, and give her several orgasms. Then I would take a five minute break before I hand out a few to her sister.
~Is that wrong~

Sensible Shoes
07-25-2010, 03:21 PM
That's the kind of love I was hoping you'd offer Ann. After all, it is you guys! :)

Diamondjimi
07-25-2010, 05:46 PM
It never bothered me that she got fat. I'm not the one fucking her. I don't care if they wheeled her out on stage to sing.

She is hands down Rocks greatest female singer!!!

Ruprecht
07-25-2010, 05:52 PM
I hear McRib is back

VanHalener
07-25-2010, 07:00 PM
I hear McRib is back

Ruprecht, put the cork back on the fork.

She is hands down my favorite female vocalist too. For all the times I have cranked some of her music I feel somewhat obligated to give her the lovin' she needs even if she reaches Jabba like proportions. Butter her down for me.

~I'm Ready~

lesfunk
07-25-2010, 07:14 PM
Ann Wilson kicks ass period. The title of the thread is misleading. She never "gained" the voice. She always had one of the greatest female voices in rock.

Nickdfresh
07-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Even back in the day it was all done with smoke and mirrors. At the time the 'Alone' and 'These Dreams' videos were all over MTV friends of mine were stunned when they went to a live show to see a 500lb Anne Wilson waddle out.

Are you peeping at me again? :hee:

But yeah, I was surprised when I first saw "fat" Anne. She was pretty hot in the 80's videos, even though the camera didn't stay on her for very long and moved fast. But she is an incredible singer. Seen Heart twice and both times they were just beyond excellent. Sure I'd love it if she stayed hot and still sang like she does. But we don't get everything we want......obviously (CVH). She kicks ass so I don't care if she is a fattie. Rock on Anne!

She was definitely a plus-size singer by the time of Heart's mid-to-late 1980s resurgence and it was pretty apparent that the camera angles were quick, she was thoroughly covered up, and all of the sex-appeal attention was being lavished on Nancy, who actually sang lead on most or all of their late 80s hits such as "These Dreams." Still, if you look at live footage from the 1970s, Dreamboat Annie was clearly one of the most beautiful women to ever front a rock band. She still has a great voice though...

Sensible Shoes
07-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Ann Wilson kicks ass period. The title of the thread is misleading. She never "gained" the voice. She always had one of the greatest female voices in rock.

I agree, but the voice has matured and gotten more depth. That's what the title meant.

Hardrock69
07-25-2010, 09:09 PM
She is one of the top 5 rock singers still performing today.

Hands down.

She is easily up there with guys like Dickinson, Tate, etc.

Only a very few could blow her off the stage....Tim Owens being the one that she could not touch as far as range, power, etc.

I first saw Heart in October 1977.

Last time I saw them was about 5-6 years ago.

She floored me. She has not lost any of her vocal chops whatsoever.

Doesn't matter that she is a lady. And, she is tops amongts all female rock vocalists. Period. End of story.

Seshmeister
07-26-2010, 07:06 AM
I tracked down Anne's hairdresser...

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qjmryyXic04&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1?color1=0x402061&amp;color2=0 x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qjmryyXic04&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1?color1=0x402061&amp;color2=0 x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

Mr Walker
07-26-2010, 08:10 AM
'Jupiter's Darling' is a great CD. They also have a new disc coming out at the end of August (Red Velvet Car) that sounds like it might be good as well... "Red Velvet Car -- the most personal and powerful work yet from Ann and Nancy Wilson, and their first album in 6 years -- takes generations of Heart fans on what truly feels like the musical ride of a lifetime. Powerfully produced by Ben Mink, Red Velvet Car is a thoroughly electrifying song cycle of largely acoustic-based sound and a stunning album with a true and renewed sense of purpose. Ann and Nancy committed themselves to writing and recording an album that was as authentic as possible, culling from their own personal experiences and some universal themes. The result on Red Velvet Car is an album of breathtaking intimacy and honesty."

kissfan1976
07-26-2010, 09:15 AM
It never bothered me that she got fat. I'm not the one fucking her. I don't care if they wheeled her out on stage to sing.

She is hands down Rocks greatest female singer!!!

True Dat!

Seshmeister
07-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Red Velvet Car Lyrics

Wilson A, Wilson N

I hear the ticking of the clock
I lie here the room's pitch black
I wonder where you are tonight
No answer on the telephone
I'm starting to not feel good
Time to compensate with food

I'm driving in my red velvet car
Another drive thru isn't too far
A bucket of chicken, as much as you can eat
It's been 20 long years since I've seen my feet

Sensible Shoes
07-26-2010, 10:19 AM
Sesh I sense a lack of fandom here. :D

Sensible Shoes
07-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Fergie "humps" Barracuda

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yWAqVQQ0Doo&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yWAqVQQ0Doo&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

OK - let's analyze this. Should be fun.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-26-2010, 10:49 AM
That may have been the sloppiest version of Barracuda I've ever heard....

Hardrock69
07-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Not interested in hearing a cover of that, as Heart is still performing it to this day.

Sensible Shoes
07-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Not a cover, it's a "duet" and Fergie is ......well Fergie - trying to outdo Ann. I thought it was disrespectful.

twonabomber
07-26-2010, 01:07 PM
'Jupiter's Darling' is a great CD. They also have a new disc coming out at the end of August (Red Velvet Car) that sounds like it might be good as well... "Red Velvet Car -- the most personal and powerful work yet from Ann and Nancy Wilson, and their first album in 6 years -- takes generations of Heart fans on what truly feels like the musical ride of a lifetime. Powerfully produced by Ben Mink, Red Velvet Car is a thoroughly electrifying song cycle of largely acoustic-based sound and a stunning album with a true and renewed sense of purpose. Ann and Nancy committed themselves to writing and recording an album that was as authentic as possible, culling from their own personal experiences and some universal themes. The result on Red Velvet Car is an album of breathtaking intimacy and honesty."

christ...the part i put in bold sounds like it came directly from Melodicrock.

Seshmeister
07-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Or their record company.

Of course at this point in their lives lyrics of breathtaking intimacy and honesty could mean songs about their surgery for prolapsed haemorrhoids.

ThrillsNSpills
07-26-2010, 01:39 PM
could mean songs about their surgery for prolapsed haemorrhoids.

Why not it worked for Johnny Cash on Ring of Fire.

it burns burns burns..etc.

Jagermeister
07-26-2010, 02:49 PM

I saw them live in Vegas a few years ago. It was a good show. One thing I came away with was that Nancy really doesn't play the hard guitar parts though. Some dude does.

kwame k
07-26-2010, 08:26 PM
The Wilson sisters are the real deal.......Nancy, even at 50+ is drop dead gorgeous and Ann has a voice that isn't matched by any female vocalist in rock, IMHO!

Jerry Cantrell, who is friends and jams with the sisters, said it best about Ann and Nancy....they can play acoustic guitar all night and have iron fingers!

stringfelowhawk
07-26-2010, 09:30 PM
I've seen them live and she may not be a size 3 anymore but her voice is still off the (expletive) scale. A few years back I read a blip about Ann and Nancy doing that show for A&E called "Breakfast with the Arts" or something of the like I believe it was. It mentioned that they had come in to do a sound check and the entire room stopped and watched. Apparently that had never happened before. They weren't expecting her to sound that good live but from someone else who's seen her she really DOES sound that good.
Anyways, just thought that was interesting.

Funny you mentioned Johnny Cash. Not long after he died his estate was contacted about using "Ring of Fire" in a commercial. It declined because they thought it would be disrespectful being that it was for a hemroid cream. Um, and NO! I'm not joking about that.

Seshmeister
07-26-2010, 09:40 PM
Funny you mentioned Johnny Cash. Not long after he died his estate was contacted about using "Ring of Fire" in a commercial. It declined because they thought it would be disrespectful being that it was for a hemroid cream. Um, and NO! I'm not joking about that.

It was probably one of the first things you read here!!! :)

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?1792-Johnny-Cash-tuns-in-grave

Diamondjimi
07-26-2010, 10:34 PM
Not a cover, it's a "duet" and Fergie is ......well Fergie - trying to outdo Ann. I thought it was disrespectful.

Agreed. But what do you expect. Fergie is a circus act unto herself.
Ann wrote timeless classics that are still played 30+ years after their conception, Fergie doesn't.

alexpgrimes
07-26-2010, 10:43 PM
She's still married to that director-guy?
Nancy is married to that director not Ann

Hardrock69
07-27-2010, 01:01 AM
I did not watch the vid, as I have dialup at home. My bad.
To hell with Fergie. As if she could even hold a candle to Ann.

GAR
07-27-2010, 02:32 AM

I LOVE being fat and powerful! Speak for yourself..

Hardrock69
07-27-2010, 08:32 AM
Powerful as a vacuum cleaner when sucking junkie dick under the 405, eh? :hee:

Igosplut
07-27-2010, 09:59 AM
I LOVE being fat and powerful! Speak for yourself..

Make sure you forward the link to this post the next time you complain to Sarge about how I stalk you from thread to thread.....