PDA

View Full Version : maybe this is why we are buildin' that (pew pew) laser system

PETE'S BROTHER
08-05-2010, 06:59 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100805/ap_on_re_as/as_china_us_carrier_killer

U.S. naval planners are scrambling to deal with what analysts say is a game-changing weapon being developed by China — an unprecedented carrier-killing missile called the Dong Feng 21D that could be launched from land with enough accuracy to penetrate the defenses of even the most advanced moving aircraft carrier at a distance of more than 1,500 kilometers (900 miles).

Diamondjimi
08-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Dangerous Dong....

The Chinese love their Dongs!

Nickdfresh
08-05-2010, 10:47 PM
I'm completely guessing here; but I believe there is an alarmist bent here that serves both the forces of Chinese nationalism and U.S. Neoconservatism. The Chinese have already fielded advanced anti-ship weapon's systems such as the "Sunburn" missile. I find it hard to believe that no countermeasures can be developed or that the missile is the end all, be all of anti-ship weapons' systems and that its anything really that groundbreaking or new. The article mentions how Soviet air-power was once thought of as a major threat to USN carrier power projection. This is no different. In fact, I believe the Soviets at their height probably were far more dangerous in neutralizing America's sea-power advantage...

Nitro Express
08-06-2010, 03:26 AM
My dad and grandfather did a lot of contractor work for Atomic Energy Commission and US Navy in the 50's and 60's. Some of that work dealt with building facilities that made the nuclear navy a reality and my dad even met Admiral Rickover. In those days the navy was fighting a battle with the air force who was trying to convince the law makers that navy's were obsolete and everything could be done with airplanes and ships were no longer needed. Rickover made ships and submarines portable air strips and missile silos. The thing is major war powers haven't duked it out since WWII. The wars have been in underdeveloped countries that are no military match for the US. That's because if both sides were more equally matched the devastation would be to the level where nobody wins. Nobody would win if China and the US went at it.

knuckleboner
08-07-2010, 12:39 PM
totally agree with you nitro.

ELVIS
08-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Meanwhile, we're being lied to about Iran being a threat...

:elvis: