PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever work at Guitar Center?

indeedido
08-06-2010, 10:45 AM
I have a friend of mine who is thinking about going to work for our local Guitar Center. He asked me what I thought. I know what I think of them as a company, but as far as a good place to work, anyone have any experience or know someone who did? He thinks it would be fun as he love to be around gear all day and give his recommendations to kids looking to start or advance to better gear. Thoughts?

Sensible Shoes
08-06-2010, 11:56 AM
I guess there's only one question these days - what does it pay?

jhale667
08-06-2010, 12:13 PM
I did a stint as a manager about a decade ago, between a music marketing firm and finding a gig with a music instructional company. Got downsized, thought "Hmmm, I know sales and marketing, and I know a ton about gear..." Seemed logical at the moment. But what you "think of them as a company"? Probably not far off from the truth, I bet. ;)

Sucked in a way, but at the same time, got to see all the cool gear first, made friends with some of my heroes, which led to some tech-work, gigs, eventually a better job...etc...cool place to network, if nothing else. Can't completely discount it, experience wise.
But I hear it's even harder to make a decent wage as a salesperson there than ever.... :umm:

jhale667
08-06-2010, 12:18 PM
I guess there's only one question these days - what does it pay?

Uh...not nearly what you'd think. My friends and I did fairly well, but practically lived there to do so...and again, from what I'm told they've further lowered the pay scale over the years.

indeedido
08-06-2010, 12:22 PM
I just spoke to him again and he learned it is commission based. I never figured that, I don't get hassled much when I go in. Commission = cut throat = fuck that

jhale667
08-06-2010, 12:31 PM
I just spoke to him again and he learned it is commission based. I never figured that, I don't get hassled much when I go in. Commission = cut throat = fuck that

Yeah, I literally got reprimanded because the guys under me were, and I quote, "too happy"...a lot of us were in the Top 5-10 sales-wise, departmental numbers were well above my predecessor's, but my store manager literally said to me "They should want to KILL each other!!" - who wants to work in that kind of atmosphere? Like "Good morning" "Yeah, fuck you too!" :umm:

Nitro Express
08-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Uh...not nearly what you'd think. My friends and I did fairly well, but practically lived there to do so...and again, from what I'm told they've further lowered the pay scale over the years.

All sales is pretty much long-hours. I know guys who have done very well in the car business but they live at the dealership. I was a stock broker and that was long-hours as well if you were to make any money at it. You have to know the product, you have to know the customer, and match the product to the customer. A good car salesman will walk the lot early in the morning and know what's on it and have that information in their head and be able to recall it when discussing what the customer wants.

Nitro Express
08-06-2010, 12:48 PM
One trick big companies like to do with commissioned sales people is they hire an experienced salesman, let him build up a customer base and then make it so miserable they quit. Then they replace the seasoned guy with lower paid rookies to handle the accounts. You also don't want to be a sales person for a company that competes on price only. You want to work for a service oriented company because you become part of the customer satisfaction strategy more than a gun for hire to move product.

jhale667
08-06-2010, 12:55 PM
One trick big companies like to do with commissioned sales people is they hire an experienced salesman, let him build up a customer base and then make it so miserable they quit. Then they replace the seasoned guy with lower paid rookies to handle the accounts. You also don't want to be a sales person for a company that competes on price only. You want to work for a service oriented company because you become part of the customer satisfaction strategy more than a gun for hire to move product.

Yeah, last I heard the (desired) average turnover rate there is 90 days.

Sensible Shoes
08-06-2010, 01:34 PM

Well Ii was thinking it probably paid crap.

FORD
08-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Go die in a fire GAyR.

jhale667
08-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Well Ii was thinking it probably paid crap.

Pretty much does these days from what I hear...besides the networking aspect, wouldn't really advise a friend to work there unless he was independently wealthy already... :hee:

Hardrock69
08-06-2010, 02:34 PM
????

Who in this thread is Garfuckle?

Or did you delete some posts from 'it', Ford, before I arrived? :lol:

jhale667
08-06-2010, 02:38 PM
????

Who in this thread is Garfuckle?

Or did you delete some posts from 'it', Ford, before I arrived? :lol:

I did the latter...GimpyChump is a banned poster's alias, goes straight to the timeout playpen.