PDA

View Full Version : What Has Been Your Road to Heavy Metal?

Ruprecht
08-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Have you made to Heavy Metal at all?
I hate to tell you that if you're still listening to Iron Butterfly,
well - gently speaking - it ain't no Metal at all.

Have you started from Classic Rock: The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, ...
and then Hard Rock: Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, .....,
and finally Heavy Metal: Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Metallica, ...?

Or have You started from the heart of the beast,
say, from classic Heavy Metal: Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, Metallica, ...?

Or someone has dropped you in the middle of Extreme Metal: Cradle Of Filth, Slayer, Pantera,...?

Have you followed any other road leading to Heavy Metal?

Who directed/guided you toward Heavy Metal: parents, family,
friends in high school or college, coworkers, your girlfriend,...?

Where are you now? In the middle of Heavy Metal or
still 'sitting on the fence' and not knowing which way to go?

Ruprecht
08-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Purple to REO to Kansas to REM to Van Halen to Nirvana to anything gud

GAR
08-15-2010, 06:58 PM
beatles>hendrix>sweet>queen>vh

VanHalenFan5150
08-15-2010, 07:21 PM
Van Halen < Pantera < Five Finger Death Punch

lesfunk
08-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Beatles > Sha na na > Molly Hatchet > cheap trick > Ac/dc > SABBATH

BITEYOASS
08-15-2010, 08:17 PM
It all started when I was four. Quiet Riot > Van Halen > Twisted Sister > DLR > Guns n' Roses > Queen > Judas Priest > anything else metal.... AND THE QUEST CONTINUES!

hambon4lif
08-15-2010, 08:25 PM
Elvis Presley...The Beatles...The Guess Who...Little Feat....Canned Heat....Jim Croce....Humble Pie....Bad Company...Steppenwolf....Grand Funk Railroad...Cheap Trick...Van Halen....Lakeside....The Gap Band.....The S.O.S. Band.....Morris Day & The Time.....Prince......Judas Priest....Scorpions.....Anita Baker....Iron Maiden......White Zombie...The Roots......

I don't really give a healthy fuck who it is......as long as it's good music, I couldn't give a fuck less where it comes from.

Satan
08-16-2010, 02:12 AM
I'm the Devil. I invented metal. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d010.gif

Mr Badguy
08-16-2010, 07:50 AM
Maiden>Kiss>AC/DC>Rush>Sabbath, eventually encompassing everything 1965-present.

Green Manalishi
08-16-2010, 01:02 PM
As a small child in the '60's : ELVIS and The Beatles

Early '70's : Lotsa pop-rock ( I was 10 in '73 )

Mid-'70's : Early teens - BTO " Takin' Care Of Business " , Brownsville Station " Smokin' In The Boys Room " , Deep Purple " Smoke On The Water " , Alice Cooper " School's Out " , more Stones and Beatles and dare I say , the Ohio Players .

Late '70's ; Mid-teens - Look Out ! This is were it got serious ! I was in Hard Rock Heaven - Ted Nugent , KISS , Queen , Led Zeppelin , Black Sabbath , UFO , Lynyrd Skynyrd , Outlaws , Molly Hatchet , Blackfoot , RUSH , April Wine , Heart , Jimi Hendrix , Aerosmith , Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush , Robin Trower , Nazareth , Blue Oyster Cult , AC/DC , and of course the mighty VAN HALEN !!!!!!!

Early '80's : Late teens-early 20's - VAN HALEN still and all previously mentioned bands still but VAN HALEN was the big shit . In about '81 I discovered Iron Maiden and had by now found an appreciation for Scorpions , Judas Priest , Motorhead , Ozzy's Blizzard Of OZZ , pre-MTV David Coverdales Whitesnake , early Def Leppard , and Saxon .

Mid '80's to late '80's : Mid-20's - Metallica , Megadeth , Motley Crue , RATT , Raven , Accept , Queensryche , DLR , Dokken , Yngwie Malmsteen , DIO , Slayer , Overkill , Venom , and something went sideways toward the very late '80's and massive suckage took over .

The '90's : Pantera , White Zombie/Rob Zombie , Love/Hate , Alice In Chains , Buckcherry . Most music since then has sucked ass .

Through it all I found an appreciation for George Clinton , Parliament-Funkadelic in the late '70's and Prince in the mid-'80's . The Black Crowes since 1990 .

chefcraig
08-16-2010, 02:06 PM
In pretty much the order I discovered them (not as they appeared chronologically), as one band tended to lead to the next...

Beatles, Stones, Elton John (seriously), Grand Funk, Doobie Bros, Brownsville Station, Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, Black Oak Arkansas, Aerosmith, KISS, Peter Frampton, BTO, Led Zeppelin, Cheap Trick, Foghat, James Gang, Thin Lizzy, Bad Company, ELP, ELO, Zeppelin (again), Blue Oyster Cult, RUSH, Van Halen, Sex Pistols, Ramones, Stray Cats, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Black Flag, Motorhead, The Damned, Dead Kennedys, U2, R.E.M., Husker Du, Velvet Underground, Sonic Youth, Minutemen, The Clash, X, New York Dolls, Ozzy, Living Color, Gang of Four, Megadeth, Anthrax, Cinderella (really, they were good), Drivin' And Cryin', (lost a few years here due to marriage or other odds and ends), Metallica, Pantera, Avenged Sevenfold...

indeedido
08-16-2010, 03:09 PM
KISS - Aldo Nova - AC/DC - Zep - Sabbath - Iron Maiden - Van Halen - Metallica - Priest - Megadeth etc etc to current

bueno bob
08-16-2010, 10:35 PM
Ban > Ban > Ban > Ban > Ban > Ban > Ban > BANNED

sadaist
08-16-2010, 11:28 PM
My first music was 8-track of The Cars, Candy-O

Then bought Men At Work-Business As Usual and a Police album. Also had "The Game - Queen".

My older bro got me into Ozzy-Crazy Train

From there I went to Crue, Quiet Riot, Ratt, Def Lep, VH, Judas Priest, Twisted Sister. (This was 7th & 8th grade)

Enjoying the heavier stuff, I started enjoying Metallica & Megadeth...then Slayer & Anthrax (high school)

When I was very young I would play my parents Elvis records and my moms Wings album. Band on The Run was one of the first songs I remember really liking.

Sensible Shoes
08-17-2010, 12:02 AM
I guess I can claim the same route as everybody else with a few earlier years than most - that would be The Monkees to Bobby Sherman to "the Bob Seger System" Tommy James and the Shondells, the Turtles to Iron Butterfly, to Cream, with some Blood Sweat and Tears, Creedence Clearwater revival, back to the Beatles, Zeppelin, ZZTop, Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd then a pleasant skid through top 40 radio in H.S. along with the F.M./windchimes station staples that kept me branching out. I'd listen to the same stuff my friends would listen to, but that FM station really had the SOUND that I wanted. I didn't hear Van Halen until 1980. There was lots of stuff in between WPHD FM in 1973 and 1980.

BlimpyCHIMP™
08-17-2010, 12:06 AM
Banana Splits to Monkees to Jimi Hendr-ooks.

BlimpyCHIMP™
08-17-2010, 12:07 AM
Mott the Ookle - sorry been awhile

Sensible Shoes
08-17-2010, 12:10 AM
OK I got one alias. Only one person talks about the Banana Splits.

Jesus Christ
08-17-2010, 12:27 AM
Stryper, Rez Band, King's X, Bloodgood, Barren Cross, WhiteCross, Saint, Guardian, Holy Soldier, P.O.D., Sacred Warrior, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eChPsn4UZfA

GAR
08-17-2010, 06:23 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5SxcbR5MoXU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5SxcbR5MoXU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

worst metal album I ever found in the Moby Disc 25 cent bargain bin.. corniest metal band I've ever heard in my life

sonrisa salvaje
08-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Stryper, Rez Band, King's X, Bloodgood, Barren Cross, WhiteCross, Saint, Guardian, Holy Soldier, P.O.D., Sacred Warrior, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eChPsn4UZfA

Figured you would have started out with the Osmonds. What do you know....Jesus doesn't like Mormons. :biggrin:

indeedido
08-17-2010, 03:55 PM
My first music was 8-track of The Cars, Candy-O

Then bought Men At Work-Business As Usual and a Police album. Also had "The Game - Queen".

My older bro got me into Ozzy-Crazy Train

From there I went to Crue, Quiet Riot, Ratt, Def Lep, VH, Judas Priest, Twisted Sister. (This was 7th & 8th grade)

Enjoying the heavier stuff, I started enjoying Metallica & Megadeth...then Slayer & Anthrax (high school)

When I was very young I would play my parents Elvis records and my moms Wings album. Band on The Run was one of the first songs I remember really liking.

Ah the 8 tracks. I should amend my post by saying I got into music with a big bag of random 8 tracks my uncle gave me. It had all kinds of stuff from Pink Floyd to the Harry and Tonto soundtrack to shit a 7 year old couldn't even wrap their head around. He was making the move from 8 track back to vinyl so he cleaned the closet. Anywho, there was this KISS Alive II 8 track that grabbed me and I was hooked. Queen's Greatest Hits followed along with J. Geil's Band and the rest of the list. Good times

FORD
08-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Figured you would have started out with the Osmonds. What do you know....Jesus doesn't like Mormons. :biggrin:

Well, it's not like the Osmonds were ever really metal. Though they kinda got close with "Crazy Horses". Probably because Jimmy Page played guitar on it.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiNnDpIW918