PDA

View Full Version : Time to play "Let's hunt and kill" the guy who STOLE TONY IOMMI'S GUITAR!

jhale667
08-18-2010, 12:57 AM
Some asshat stole Tony Iommi's Signature SG...at the DIO TRIBUTE CONCERT. Steaming. Pile. Of. Douche.

http://ht.ly/2qY0H

The Latest on Tony Iommi’s Stolen SG

Black Sabbath legend Tony Iommi’s guitar was stolen after a concert in late July. At this time, his signature Gibson SG is still missing.

As Gibson.com reported last week, Iommi’s axe was stolen following a show at London’s High Voltage Festival that honored his late friend and musical collaborator Ronnie James Dio. The guitar god was performing with fellow Heaven and Hell members Geezer Butler and Vinnie Appice, with all proceeds from the concert benefiting the Ronnie James Dio Stand Up and Shout Cancer Fund.

Apparently, somebody thought that the tribute concert would be the perfect occasion to steal the Black Sabbath legend’s Gibson Custom Tony Iommi Signature SG. When Iommi realized that his prized instrument was missing, the guitarist reportedly began contacting different people involved in the performance, thinking that his SG had simply been accidentally packed up by someone else.

However, that turned out not to be the case and the guitar is still out there somewhere. Via his website www.Iommi.com, Iommi has announced that he’s offering a reward for any information leading to the recovery of the guitar. Anybody who has information about the incident is being encouraged to post on the message board section of www.Iommi.com.

Like the douche that did this can sell it, much less keep it and ever expect to A ) Leave the house with it and B ) make it back ALIVE once someone sees it. :Loser:

FORD
08-18-2010, 01:31 AM
I wouldn't want to be in this fucknugget's shoes when Satan finds out about this.

GAR
08-18-2010, 01:51 AM
Eh, it's a negligable loss, they'll just build him another artist model to replace that one.

jhale667
08-18-2010, 03:02 PM
It's not even about that, thick one. But that may be the ONE guy in the universe who's getting the bigger eventual Karma-bomb in the mail than you will...

jhale667
08-18-2010, 04:44 PM
I wouldn't want to be in this fucknugget's shoes when Satan finds out about this.

I wouldn't want to be this dude if he pulls it out of a case in front of a real Sabbath fan.

Coyote
08-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Must've been a diehard Ozzy-fan... Fuckin' douche...

chefcraig
08-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Like the douche that did this can sell it, much less keep it and ever expect to A ) Leave the house with it and B ) make it back ALIVE once someone sees it. :Loser:

In a great percentage of art thefts, the items stolen are rarely if ever recovered. The reason being that the individual collector unscrupulous enough to get his hands on these pieces keeps them in his own collection to feed his own ego. The behavior is creepily obsessive, but what's even more warped is the collector will keep the items hidden, never even displaying them for fear of discovery. It's truly bizarre, yet it seems that some people will go to any lengths to obtain something, and go to even further extremes in order to keep it.

jhale667
08-18-2010, 06:52 PM
In a great percentage of art thefts, the items stolen are rarely if ever recovered. The reason being that the individual collector unscrupulous enough to get his hands on these pieces keeps them in his own collection to feed his own ego. The behavior is creepily obsessive, but what's even more warped is the collector will keep the items hidden, never even displaying them for fear of discovery. It's truly bizarre, yet it seems that some people will go to any lengths to obtain something, and go to even further extremes in order to keep it.

It reminds me of when Steve Vai got the majority of his guitars ripped off during the DLR days...NOT ONE of them has ever surfaced 20 years later, probably for the same reasons listed above....

chefcraig
08-18-2010, 06:56 PM
It reminds me of when Steve Vai got the majority of his guitars ripped off during the DLR days...NOT ONE of them has ever surfaced 20 years later, probably for the same reasons listed above....

Same thing happened with one of Jimmy Page's Les Pauls during one of the early Zep tours. As I recall, it had a Bigsby on it, so it wasn't (for then) exactly a common guitar. He even advertised in Rolling Stone (at the time, a fairly high profile musical want ads source) for the damned thing, yet never recovered it.

GAR
08-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Anyone with half a brain touring, doesn't take guitars along that are not expendable.

You over-insure them, hope they don't get nicked, but when they do you collect a nice check and get on with the business of perfoming.

This guitar wasn't even one of his original 3. Those are the ones worth over half a million each someday, not a custom shop Artist Model thing.

I'd rather have a modified mid-60's SG with the hardware and electronics I prefer, rather than an Iommi model. You pay double for an Artist guitar because it's not a line production model, with all the stuff on it the artist preferred which usually is off-the-shelf stuff, not custom-wound, custom-modified, select-wood this or specially-setup that.

Seshmeister
08-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Personally to me it's just stuff.

Thieves are all scum but a guitar should not be treated as an icon.

It would have been terrible if this had happened to him 40 years ago but now he can have it replaced a thousand times over.

In 20 years time he'll probably be dead if not sooner is that not more important?

Electric guitars are not like Stradivarius violins because for a start they are not acoustic instruments.

As far as it happening at the RJD thing I'm sorry but at this point charity/remembrance music events have become completely indistinguishable from promotion.

GAR
08-18-2010, 11:09 PM
In 20 years time he'll probably be dead if not sooner is that not more important?

Absolutely! I guarantee Iommi had Gibson overnite an identical replacement worth no more or less the next day, and an insurance check sent that week.

We had some damage over here, some KOOKOO climbed up to spy on the celebrity drama upstairs and broke some stuff - insurance guys had checks in the mail so fast no questions it was unbelievable.

jhale667
08-18-2010, 11:16 PM
Electric guitars are not like Stradivarius violins because for a start they are not acoustic instruments.

Sorry, disagree - while they may not have soundholes, and some solidbodies DO have acoustic chambers, btw - their inherent acoustic qualities are amplified, which is why no two sound exactly alike, and because they are also wooden (in the majority of cases) instruments, their tone does improve with age. So they are similar in that respect. As they say, it takes a guitar 5 years to figure out it's not a TREE anymore...

Agree he can replace it a thousand times over, but again it's the principle of the thing. The thievery in general and at a Dio TRIBUTE CONCERT, FFS? That person should, oh I dunno....die in a fire... :mad:

Anonymous
08-18-2010, 11:25 PM
while they may not have soundholes

Many of them have arseholes. Usually right behind 'em.

Take Eddie V'.s guitars, for example...

Cheers! :bottle:

jhale667
08-18-2010, 11:35 PM
:lmao:

Seshmeister
08-19-2010, 07:13 AM
Sorry, disagree - while they may not have soundholes, and some solidbodies DO have acoustic chambers, btw - their inherent acoustic qualities are amplified, which is why no two sound exactly alike, and because they are also wooden (in the majority of cases) instruments, their tone does improve with age. So they are similar in that respect. As they say, it takes a guitar 5 years to figure out it's not a TREE anymore...

You know more about it than me but I think maybe the pickups or the amp or effects or the EQ in the desk or the room itself are maybe more important than the wood.

There are so many variables I don't really understand investing so much in just one apart from heart ruling the mind.

jhale667
08-19-2010, 10:34 AM
You know more about it than me but I think maybe the pickups or the amp or effects or the EQ in the desk or the room itself are maybe more important than the wood.

There are so many variables I don't really understand investing so much in just one apart from heart ruling the mind.

Yeah, you have to be pragmatic about it past a certain point, agree. Sentimentality and a comfort level with a familiar instrument can inspire better performances, though.

But the wood itself is the foundation of whatever the pickup transmits that then goes on to be amplified, processed, whatever...and there are cases where you can't polish a turd (cough, plywood, cough).

I still think the guy that stole it should have his sack crushed with a hammer... ;)

Diamondjimi
08-19-2010, 06:59 PM
I still think the guy that stole it should have his sack crushed with a hammer...

:lol:

Agreed!!! :biggrin:

Seshmeister
08-20-2010, 09:55 AM
I still think the guy that stole it should have his sack crushed with a hammer... ;)

Absolutely. :)

GAR
08-20-2010, 12:34 PM
I think maybe the pickups or the amp or effects or the EQ in the desk or the room itself are maybe more important than the wood.

They are, but as a rule you can't help the guitar string sustain itself in the mix, that happens on the wood. The denser it is, the longer it will sustain.

EVH for example does not like string sustain, so he prefers basswood or alder - they're softer woods but they resonate acoustically and he's demonstrated in interviews how he practiced without an amp because he could hear it without one.

The reason he likes maple fingerboards when rosewood looks better (which is about the hardest wood used for guitar) is for the feel when he frets the neck. Maple resonates poorly, but since it's really hard and dense it transfers string vibration very poorly allowing the energy in the string motion to dissipate very slowly = sustain.