PDA

View Full Version : Michael Douglas is battling stage-four throat cancer

Jagermeister
09-02-2010, 12:58 PM
:(

I can't wait to see the new Wall Street movie.

In Candid Interview, David Letterman and Cancer-Stricken Michael Douglas Hug it Out
by Erin Carlson · September 1, 2010
Michael Douglas is battling stage-four throat cancer with a rigorous prescription of chemotherapy and radiation. Yet, there he was on television Tuesday night, talking to David Letterman about his disease in a very candid interview on "Late Night."

Appearing gaunt, but remarkably healthy under the circumstances (his silver, tousled hair added a lively element of style to his appearance), the 65-year-old movie star was upbeat, honest, and good-spirited during his "Late Show" appearance. Letterman told Douglas he'd "never looked better."

Douglas, who announced his diagnosis on August 16 (which, he added, was also when he found out he'd be on Letterman's show), said he's just completed his first week of chemo and radiation. The odds are in his favor with an 80 percent or better chance of recovery. More positive news: His cancer remains above the neck.

Though he admitted the treatment "knocks you out real hard," Douglas said "nothing's gone down and the expectations are good." He added, half-jokingly, "It is gonna cut into the foreign promotional tour for ["Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps"] to say the least."

Meanwhile, his wife Catherine Zeta-Jones is fuming at doctors for not diagnosing it months ago.

"It makes me furious they didn't detect it earlier," she told People magazine in its latest issue. "He sought every option and nothing was found
Zeta-Jones, who has two children with Douglas, said: "The hardest part is seeing his fatigue, because Michael is never tired."

Douglas, who will soon be seen in the hotly anticipated sequel to "Wall Street," told Letterman that warning signs began in early summer when his throat became sore. "I actually went through a litany of doctors and tests. They didn't really find anything," he said.

He went on summer vacation to Spain and Russia with Zeta-Jones and their son Dylan, 10, and daughter Carys, 7. When he returned, doctors biopsied a tumor at the base of his throat and, indeed, found stage-four cancer. Now, "they gotta go at it," Douglas said.

At the end of the interview, Letterman said, "I feel like I wanna do something for ya. Can I do something for ya?" And Douglas said: "You can give me a hug."

The two celebrities embraced in a long, warm hug.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z67gcf311KQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z67gcf311KQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<div><object width="576" height="324"><param name="movie" value="http://d.yimg.com/nl/movies/site/player.swf"></param><param name="flashVars" value="vid=18276279&"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed width="576" height="324" allowFullScreen="true" src="http://d.yimg.com/nl/movies/site/player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashvars="vid=18276279&"></embed></object></div>

Diamondjimi
09-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Hope he beats this. Cancer sucks!

FORD
09-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Well, if genetics are any help here, his dad is still around at 93. And old Kirk had to beat a massive stroke to get that way, so Michael has that in his corner at least.

He and his wife are both reportedly chain smokers, so it's not like the cause of this is any great mystery. But he's a great actor and a decent Liberal guy by all accounts, so I wish him the best.

Jagermeister
09-02-2010, 01:31 PM
He has a wife half his age. Fuckin bastard.:biggrin:

Nitro Express
09-03-2010, 01:42 PM
I thought fucking young trophy wives cured cancer.

Nitro Express
09-03-2010, 01:47 PM
My nickname in college was Gordon Gecko. We had to do a big presentation and we all were in our suits. It was the 80's and pleated pants with cuffs and suspenders was the style. We were sitting around a conference table working on a project and one of the guys goes, you look like fucking Gordon Gecko. I used to slick my hair back and kind of look like Michael Douglas. It stuck and I was called Gordon Gecko from then on. People would come up and quote lines from Wall Street.

Seshmeister
01-10-2011, 10:18 PM
Maybe some good news for a change.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/3341931/Michael-Douglas-says-his-tumour-is-gone.html#comment-rig

OSCAR-WINNING actor MICHAEL DOUGLAS has revealed that his tumour is gone and chances are good he has beaten cancer

Tuesday, 11 January 2011

'It's been a wild six-month ride' ... Michael Douglas on the Today Show

OSCAR-WINNING actor MICHAEL DOUGLAS has revealed that his tumour is gone and chances are good he has beaten cancer.
In his first TV interview since undergoing intensive treatment, Douglas, 66, said: "I feel good, relieved.

"The tumour is gone. But, you know, I have to check out on a monthly basis now to maintain. I guess there's not a total euphoria. I'll probably take a couple of months of getting checked out. But it's been a wild six-month ride."

The star was asked about putting on weight after radiation treatments and said he had been "eating like a pig", was working out in a gym and even planning for an upcoming film role as famed pianist Liberace.

"I think the odds are, with the tumour gone and what I know about this particular type of cancer, that I've got it beat," he said on NBC's Today Show, which airs in the U.S. on Tuesday.

Douglas made a surprise announcement in August that doctors had diagnosed him with stage-four throat cancer but he was optimistic he would recover. Given the late stage of the tumour many fans were concerned.

In the months since, Douglas has rarely appeared in the media and has been seen most often in pictures walking the streets of New York with family members.

In the interview, Douglas said he had lost 32 pounds during treatment, but had recently added 12 pounds.

Douglas is one of Hollywood's brightest stars, having worked in movies like The China Syndrome, Fatal Attraction, The American President and Wall Street, which earned him an Oscar for his role as Gordon Gekko.

He also won an Oscar for producing One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and in the 1970s starred in TV crime show The Streets of San Francisco.

He is the son of veteran actor KIRK DOUGLAS and is married to CATHERINE ZETA-JONES.

The couple have two children, Dylan, ten, and Carys, seven.

FORD
01-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Yeah, I heard something on the radio about this earlier today. Good for him, if it's true. Not easy to walk away from stage four, that's for damn sure.

Diamondjimi
01-10-2011, 10:37 PM
Let's hope he's got it beat...

fryingdutchman
01-11-2011, 05:12 AM
I hope it's good news too.

But cancer is such a bitch, and it delivers more sucker punches than just about any other disease. I hope that Michael didn't dodge a right jab only to get knocked the fuck out by a left hook....

CROWBAR
01-11-2011, 08:50 AM
Ed must have gave him some of his special "serum" for that.

Seshmeister
01-11-2011, 02:02 PM
There is a danger it is Douglas being too optimistic but hopefully not.

His dad is still alive so he has some hardy genes.

Nitro Express
01-11-2011, 02:20 PM
There is a danger it is Douglas being too optimistic but hopefully not.

His dad is still alive so he has some hardy genes.

I read Kirk Douglas' autobiography. He's one tough son of a bitch. An interesting read too.