PDA

View Full Version : Steven Hawking: God not Necessary!

Nickdfresh
09-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Stephen Hawking says there's no creator God; the twitterverse reacts

By Jason Boyett

You don't expect to see "Stephen Hawking" as a trending topic on Twitter. That designation is usually reserved for the birthdays of Jonas brothers or 140-character punchlines about #liesguystell.

But Thursday, the acclaimed physicist and mathematician shot to the top of the list--and not because of another hilarious wheelchair-bound appearance on The Simpsons. Hawking hit the news cycle because The Times of London excerpted his new book, The Grand Design, on Thursday. In the book, which releases this week from Bantam Press (and which, admittedly, I haven't read), Hawking concludes that a Creator is unnecessary for the universe to exist.

Is this news? Not really. Hawking has made it clear in the past that he's not religious, and his ex-wife, Jane, outed him as an atheist in her biography about their marriage. But Hawking has always been careful to delineate between religion and science, and his past writings seemed to have left open a window allowing for a God-like creator. In A Brief History of Time, he wrote of man's steps toward figuring out the universe as attempts to "know the mind of God."

But the new book appears to have taken that religious neutrality off the table. Due to laws like gravity, noted last week's excerpt, Hawking writes that it is entirely possible that the universe "can and will create itself from nothing." That's why we exist. That's why there's something rather than nothing. We don't need God.

And then the backlash began.

On Twitter, mentions of Hawking and his pronouncement followed three distinct tracks. A third were users passing on a news item without comment. A third were nontheists cheerfully affirming what they already suspected to be true. And the last third were my fellow Christians, who took ugliness to a new level.
In the space of two minutes along the Twitter timeline, I dug out these gems:

• "God did NOT create the Universe", says Stephen Hawking. To which God replied, "enjoy your chair" (@suicidecharlie)
• When Stephen Hawking dies he can tell God how He never created the universe. (@MichaelMeyers)
• If u really belive what Stephen Hawking says...then do us all a favor n go drink bleach!! (@DaOneMulatto)
• It would seem Stephen Hawking's reason for no God is'Just because'...Because it's all random&we have physics laws there is no God, hmm ok (@fifiifif)
• I dunno. Seems like Stephen Hawking still has a few holes to plug in his theories before he'll be a btter physicist than God (@acesinzeroland)

[everything: sic]

I don't personally know the people above, but a quick look at their accounts suggests that a few of them are professional Christian ministers. And they weren't alone. There were tweets belittling the physicist's physical ailments. Tweets chortling about how he'll be sorry when he dies and meets God. Tweets over-simplifying his ideas and then cheerfully labeling them stupid. Tweets calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.

Like dogs backed into a corner, my religious brethren went on the attack, escalating the culture war between science and faith.

Sigh. I'm trying to keep my feet in both camps--I'm a science-fascinated believer--and nothing is more frustrating than the automatic anti-science defensiveness of other Christians.

Jesus taught slowness to anger, compassion for the sick, and love for our enemies. But even accounting for the simplicity of Twitter, and the troll-like culture of the Internet in general, we still come across as a bunch of petty, rage-filled monsters eager to discount the life work of one of the world's greatest scientists.

A genius with a debilitating disease says something we disagree with, so we make fun of his wheelchair and laugh at his impending death. Great.

This is why people have trouble taking us seriously.

I'm not a humor prude. Sarcasm is my currency. And I enjoy a good check-out-the-robot-voice Hawking joke as much as anyone (including Hawking himself, who is also a genius at self-deprecation). But I hate the way some Christians react at times like this. And I hate that I might get lumped in with them.

So I want to apologize to Stephen Hawking on behalf of religious people everywhere. As believers in a God of justice and mercy, we're not supposed to be heartless, ignorant jerks. But sometimes we are. I hope you'll forgive us.

Also: you inspire me, Mr. Hawking, and your contributions to our world deserve a whole lot better than our mockery. I hope you're wrong about the universe not needing God. But if it turns out you're correct, you have my respect for helping us figure out the amazing environment in which we live. Thank you.

Washington Post (http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/guestvoices/2010/09/stephen_hawking_says_theres_no_creator_god_the_twi tterverse_reacts.html)

Jason Boyett is a writer, speaker, and the author of O Me of Little Faith: True Confessions of a Spiritual Weakling -- which has an entire chapter inspired by A Brief History of Time. Jason blogs at www.omeoflittlefaith.com and tweets at twitter.com/jasonboyett .

By Jason Boyett | September 3, 2010; 3:16 PM ET

Seshmeister
09-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Stephen Hawking says there's no creator God; the twitterverse reacts

This is why people have trouble taking us seriously.

No creating a philosophy based on stories about invisible sky gods and talking snakes by bronze age goatherders stops people taking them seriously.

The stuff he rightly, if a bit weakly, complains about just makes the rest of us shake our heads and feel a mixture of pity and disgust.

thome
09-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Are you the same kind of persons who like Hawking look to the sky and wonder if there is life out there ?

Contemplate the sands and trees and wait for a conviction from science that life exists another place ?

Spend endless hours proving your theories of quantum nutrino fields seeking perhaps some vindication when some astronaught turns over a rock on planet blizzzlgratt 3 and a mouse pops his head out and then you know there is life out there ?

Then you could spend the rest of your lives poving there is no god for space mice.

Funny.

GAR
09-07-2010, 12:58 AM
Does anyone give a shit about what some gimpy chair-bound limpdick has to say about anything?

He can make shit up about who is or is not G-d all the livelong day, about outer space, and build a wireframe of mathematical equations to support it because he's got all the time in the world to do that.

GAR
09-07-2010, 01:01 AM
Are you the same kind of persons who like Hawking look to the sky and wonder if there is life out there ?

His own peers right now are thinking "Hawking's losing it" because as engineers and physicists, they realize this old tube-throating FAG failed to provide the required calculations proving the nonexistence of G-d.

I wanna see the math on this, or fuck him!

GAR
09-07-2010, 01:09 AM
[B][SIZE="3"]Like dogs backed into a corner, my religious brethren went on the attack, escalating the culture war between science and faith.

.. and it's not an attack piece?

He's a "scientist." It's easy to pick on his maladies, because there's no theory or equations to take a swipe at.

Hawking's brilliance is resurrected in finding an issue to float himself like a turd back to public view, even if for a day. Now that he's fired his biggest shot for attention, let's see him pull this stunt again without any quantifiable, classifiable math.

Seshmeister
09-07-2010, 07:13 AM
It is always hugely ironic when the anti science people post bitter nonsense on the world wide web.

Seshmeister
09-07-2010, 07:15 AM
.. and it's not an attack piece?

He's a "scientist." It's easy to pick on his maladies, because there's no theory or equations to take a swipe at.

Hawking's brilliance is resurrected in finding an issue to float himself like a turd back to public view, even if for a day. Now that he's fired his biggest shot for attention, let's see him pull this stunt again without any quantifiable, classifiable math.

Every single part of this post is entirely wrong.

BigBadBrian
09-07-2010, 08:06 AM
Nick, you violated your own rules for op-ed threads.

You didn't comment on your own drivel you posted.

Don't let that happen again, got it? :fighting0056:

Nickdfresh
09-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Nick, you violated your own rules for op-ed threads.

You didn't comment on your own drivel you posted.

Don't let that happen again, got it? :fighting0056:

Sorry. Let me comment on the following: YOU'RE A CUNT! :)

That is all...

ELVIS
09-07-2010, 11:31 AM
I guess that's it...

STEPHEN HAWKING HAS SPOKEN!!!

case closed...

:elvis:

chefcraig
09-07-2010, 11:43 AM
I guess that's it...

case closed...

The entire point of the article was not what Hawking said, rather how folks with serious religious chips upon their shoulders reacted to his statements. If you notice, the fellow who wrote the piece (who happens to be religious) was appalled by the behavior of his fellow travelers.

Look, I have some troubles with Hawking, mainly because I sometimes have issues with even grasping what the hell he is talking about in his books. To tell you the truth, the guy gives me a headache and makes me yearn for Carl Sagan, an equally gifted man who could explain himself in everyday terms and not make me want to call in an interpreter from MIT. But you don't see me going on Twitter (or the internet) and wishing he'd fall out of his wheelchair for his theories, ya know?

ELVIS
09-07-2010, 11:51 AM
uhh hu h uh uh uh u huh uh uh u

:biggrin:

GAR
09-07-2010, 11:54 AM
I guess that's it...

case closed...

He's a SCIENTIST. The math is absent, so it's just a foolish postulation and that's what I'm saying.

Hawking never HAD a case to begin with or he'd even gave a shit, he'd provide the structure, the math or any kind of equation to such defective people as who believe in a G-d saying "hey look, I've proven there is no G-d now wake up."

I'm certain such an outstanding scientist as he once was respected to be prior to this thought-fart simply forgot to provide the calculations.

GAR
09-07-2010, 11:56 AM

It's gonna be hard for Hawking to top this one, it's a worldwide hit! For like, 14 minutes... last week..

Jesus Christ
09-07-2010, 01:25 PM
On the Day of Judgment, two men are standing before My throne.

One is Steven Hawking. The other is GAyR. Only one of the two will enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

Anybody care to guess how I'm going to decide this one? :jesuslol:

Jagermeister
09-07-2010, 01:32 PM

One is Steven Hawking. The other is GAyR. Only one of the two will enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

Coin flip?

PETE'S BROTHER
09-07-2010, 01:48 PM

hawking is "standing" at the gate? send him back and lat the nameless one in, he'll still get his ass kicked.

Jesus Christ
09-07-2010, 01:57 PM
There are no wheelchairs in Heaven, My son.

Big Troubles
09-07-2010, 02:05 PM
There are no wheelchairs in Heaven, My son.

How does someone escape a Hospital without being noticed? I mean, in comical fashion of course.

Or is there no comedy? :(

GAR
09-07-2010, 02:07 PM

Running game on the world wide interlines as Jesus Christ isn't as much in denial or worse as Hawking saying blatantly "G-d is unnecessary," eh?

Why don't you go torrent a concordance and research your own defects!

GAR
09-07-2010, 02:09 PM
hawking is "standing" at the gate?

It is possible if he ever makes it past the gate, that Jesus keeps him in that fucking wheelchair for talking shit about him while on Earth.

Stupid gimp.. anythings' possible: the contract is forgiveness of sins and while it doesn't have to stop there - IT CAN!

Jesus Christ
09-07-2010, 02:10 PM
How does someone escape a Hospital without being noticed? I mean, in comical fashion of course.

There aren't any hospitals in Heaven either, so there is no need to write comedy about that up here :jesuslol:

chefcraig
09-07-2010, 02:10 PM

On the plus side, no handicapped parking to deal with, and no ramps, so you won't need to worry about getting mowed down by some idiotic white kid in a Bob Marley shirt and dreadlocks on a skateboard.

Jesus Christ
09-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Running game on the world wide interlines as Jesus Christ isn't as much in denial or worse as Hawking saying blatantly "G-d is unnecessary," eh?

Why don't you go torrent a concordance and research your own defects!

When Steven Hawking meets Me, he will no longer be an atheist. But you will still be a douchebag.

GAR
09-07-2010, 02:14 PM
When Steven Hawking meets Me, he will no longer be an atheist.

Do us a favor then, keep him in the chair. Please.

Jesus Christ
09-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Steven Hawking has contributed more of value during any one week of his life in a wheelchair than ye have with two healthy legs, GAyR.

So who are ye to condemn him?

GAR
09-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Why push the matter of judgement upon me, when according to The Word he's already condemning himself to a roasty eternity?

YOU of all personalizations of Yourself should know what type of judgement Ye hath written is in store for his atheism.. it's just another twist on the original lie from the Garden of Eden that "we are all Gods" or that we know better than Yourself.

He's FUCKED and Thou knowsts it.

Jesus Christ
09-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Why push the matter of judgement upon me, when according to The Word he's already condemning himself to a roasty eternity?

YOU of all personalizations of Yourself should know what type of judgement Ye hath written is in store for his atheism.. it's just another twist on the original lie from the Garden of Eden that "we are all Gods" or that we know better than Yourself.

He's FUCKED and Thou knowsts it.

Verily I say unto you, asshole, that the atheist who honestly searcheth for Truth will have a much easier time on Judgment Day, then he who calleth himself a "believer" but does not live by My teachings and My Dad's commandments.

GAR
09-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Verily I say unto you, asshole, that the atheist who honestly searcheth for Truth will have a much easier time on Judgment Day, then he who calleth himself a "believer" but does not live by My teachings and My Dad's commandments.

They still teach that in Cathecism?

No, I am pretty sure that Judgement Day will be one day too late for Hawking.

Pretty motherfucking sure about that one! But go on Fictional Jesus, tell us more fiction.

PETE'S BROTHER
09-07-2010, 02:34 PM
what's for lunch?

Jagermeister
09-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Jesus Christ cracks me up.

Give um , urm hell Jesus.

chefcraig
09-07-2010, 02:38 PM
what's for lunch?

If it's those stale crackers and weak-assed wine again, I'll hold out for another miracle of loaves and fishes.

hambon4lif
09-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Hey J.C.
Can you use your powers to set off the sprinkler system in the library?

Thanks in advance!

PETE'S BROTHER
09-07-2010, 02:42 PM
.........patiently waitin' for satan's $.02. bet he doesn't want either tard in his yard

Anonymous
09-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Truth is, people grapple onto ridiculous fancies because they need to feel special.

And if there is no loving creator, they're not special. They are forced to realize that they lead a bleak, pathetic existence.

That's right, I don't count myself as a human any more. It's shameful & I'll have no part of it.

I, for one, am just passing the time until I die. Still, I can't say I'm happy. If I lied in a yacht, I'd be happy. Oh, well...

Cheers! :bottle:

GAR
09-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Truth is, people grapple onto ridiculous fancies because they need to feel special.

You wanna feel special? Try becoming a Giant Starwberry, Potatoe, or a Sea-Ock.. worked for me!

Jesus Christ
09-07-2010, 03:00 PM
what's for lunch?

Pizza & beer - Kosher style!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_rUyfOI7LHdE/SfkgQK6P_iI/AAAAAAAABD8/RnfJi6OnZV4/s400/LA+Pizza+kosher+wide.JPG

http://www.ship-of-fools.com/gadgets/food_drink/media/messiah_bold.jpg

Jesus Christ
09-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Hey J.C.
Can you use your powers to set off the sprinkler system in the library?

Thanks in advance!

It's tempting, but why ruin all those books? :jesuslol:

Anonymous
09-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Hahahahahahahaha, He Brew the Chosen Beer.

Kickarse!

Anonymous
09-07-2010, 03:03 PM
It's tempting, but why ruin all those books? :jesuslol:

Yeah, just fart lightning in the general direction of the squatter.

Jesus Christ
09-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Jesus Christ cracks me up.

Give um , urm hell Jesus.

As thy President Truman once said, I do not give them Hell. I give them the Truth, and they just think it's Hell.

GAR
09-07-2010, 03:19 PM
A twisted Truth is still the truth in the eye of the twisted.

Jesus Christ
09-07-2010, 03:29 PM
One would think with all the time ye spend in a library that ye might attempt a better proverb than that. I'd tell you not to quit thy day job. But you don't have one. :jesuslol:

Igosplut
09-07-2010, 08:23 PM

Nope, the user name is right.....

Nickdfresh
09-07-2010, 10:01 PM

And if there is no loving creator, they're not special. They are forced to realize that they lead a bleak, pathetic existence.

That's right, I don't count myself as a human any more. It's shameful & I'll have no part of it.

I, for one, am just passing the time until I die. Still, I can't say I'm happy. If I lied in a yacht, I'd be happy. Oh, well...

Albert Camus? Is that you, Albert Camus? :)

FORD
09-07-2010, 10:21 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh01Pil7vj4

Blaze
09-12-2010, 02:05 AM
<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/nhGYhoXp8GrIUpSuJsAmQQ"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/nhGYhoXp8GrIUpSuJsAmQQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Golden AWe
09-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Jesus taught slowness to anger, compassion for the sick, and love for our enemies.

I know this is taken out of context a bit but you must mean "a man wrote Jesus said this (something several people have taught before him) and then a few hundred years later a bunch of other men destroyed a lot of evidence that made look Jesus a copycat himself, and burned lots of other religious evidence and culture, temples and writings from that age and before...." etc

True Dat!!!

I like what Hawkins said. The truth is we need more sun than god to survive.

ZahZoo
09-12-2010, 03:03 PM

But isn't that just living a lie... in a boat, on water. How does this differ from your land-locked miserable existance? ;)

I'm glad Hawking had the balls to acknowledge the obvious logical conclusion... the most telling thing is the religious responses all come up far short of showing any hint of human compassion... Love thy neighbor is the first and easiest thing to cast aside. Of course organized religion is a big money business. Debunk it's origins and a hell of a lot of free-loading snake oil salesmen & pedophiles would have to go earn an honest living... In simple terms them's fightin words!!!

Anonymous
09-12-2010, 08:09 PM

Nah. I'm somewhat of a nihilist. Albert Camus opposed nihilism.

As do I. Wait, this is confusing. Ok, it's true that we amount to nothing & all we do is diarrhoea in the wind, but there ARE things worth doing, even if for personal gain/pleasure.

Just don't expect to have a better life when you die. This is it.

Anonymous
09-12-2010, 08:10 PM
But isn't that just living a lie... in a boat, on water. How does this differ from your land-locked miserable existance? ;)

Well, I wouldn't have to clean the toilet...

Anonymous
09-12-2010, 08:13 PM
I know this is taken out of context a bit but you must mean "a man wrote Jesus said this (something several people have taught before him) and then a few hundred years later a bunch of other men destroyed a lot of evidence that made look Jesus a copycat himself, and burned lots of other religious evidence and culture, temples and writings from that age and before...." etc

I like what Hawkins said. The truth is we need more sun than god to survive.

Yeah, all these religious motherfuckers aren't any different from the fuckers who destroyed the twin towers. It's just more of the same. Men killing each other because their figment of imagination is different than other people's.

Wait a minute... what do you call someone who speaks with an imaginary friend?

Unchainme
09-13-2010, 12:29 AM
I consider myself a christian, but I don't go over board with my faith.

In regards to whether a "God" exists, I actually do and I think he pre-planned somethings via the use of evolution and the big bang. Nothing really scientific in regards to that, and it's nothing I can prove, but it's what I believe in.

I would also like to think that there is a possible after life because life to me would be a bit anti-climatic to me. Again, it's nothing you can ever prove scientifically, but just something that I have faith in, along with believing in christ as my savior.

It's something that will never ever be proven, which is why you'll always have skeptics. Nothing wrong with that, but I also say that there is too, nothing wrong with having faith so long as it's not done out of hate or personal gain.

Drolaw
09-14-2010, 10:48 PM
After nearly 30 years of arguing that a black hole destroys everything that falls into it, Stephen Hawking is saying he was wrong. It seems that black holes may allow "information" to escape. Now comes his idea that there is no creator. Something from nothing is still nothing. So something or someone had to be present at some point.

He said "Because there is a law such as gravity, the Universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the Universe exists, why we exist… It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the Universe going."

So, how can something come from nothing? Laws of science, such as gravity, are something -- not nothing -- so where do they come from? How are they sustained? Maybe he answers this in the book?

In the past, Hawking didn't dismiss the possibility of a Creator, but in this new book, he rejects Newton's theory that the Universe was set in motion by God. Hawking also said in June that he doesn't believe a personal God exists:

The question is: is the way the universe began chosen by God for reasons we can't understand, or was it determined by a law of science?

FORD
09-14-2010, 10:57 PM
Something from nothing is still nothing. So something or someone had to be present at some point.

Are you talking Steven Hawking here, or Billy Preston?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ0DbKP4eJw

Seshmeister
09-15-2010, 05:19 AM
After nearly 30 years of arguing that a black hole destroys everything that falls into it, Stephen Hawking is saying he was wrong. It seems that black holes may allow "information" to escape. Now comes his idea that there is no creator. Something from nothing is still nothing. So something or someone had to be present at some point.

He said "Because there is a law such as gravity, the Universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the Universe exists, why we exist… It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the Universe going."

So, how can something come from nothing? Laws of science, such as gravity, are something -- not nothing -- so where do they come from? How are they sustained? Maybe he answers this in the book?

In the past, Hawking didn't dismiss the possibility of a Creator, but in this new book, he rejects Newton's theory that the Universe was set in motion by God. Hawking also said in June that he doesn't believe a personal God exists:

The question is: is the way the universe began chosen by God for reasons we can't understand, or was it determined by a law of science?

This whole thing has been blown up way way out of proportion.

There is nothing new in the main points of the book that the vast majority of scientists in the field didn't already agree on. Either his publisher or the media have picked up on a couple of lines in the book like (ironically)they are some sort of a holy text. All he was saying was that the laws of physics mean that there is no need for an outside 'hand' for the universe to come into being in it's form.

As far as the coming from nothing thing I wouldn't claim to understand this and no one knows but the general ways to frame the thought are that if you take all the positive energy and mass in the universe from the stuff in it and then subtract the negative energy from the forces of gravity you end up with zero. In other words we didn't go from nothing to an infinitely huge universe, we went from something which simply changed state like when water changes to steam except in this case the 'water' is infinitely tiny and the steam huge. Did a god change the state or was it just through a random quantum event? Who knows but if it was a god then you're not really much further on in wondering about how and why we are here because then you have to explain who created the god, presumably another daddy god and so on.

Anonymous
09-15-2010, 12:58 PM
Ok, so both of you are trying to explain and/or understand the creation of the universe based on your extremely limited perceptions.

One worships God, the other Science.

And you're both arrogant as fuck.

Can't you admit that this issue may - quite naturally - be beyond your comprehension? That's not to say that one can't speculate or try to find a reason, but to pass it off as the truth is a bit... retarded.

Seshmeister
09-15-2010, 02:14 PM
I don't worship science.

Deep down I think I probably am god but I just haven't got all my powers working yet and you are all my minions.

I just didn't want to come across as being arrogant...

Anonymous
09-15-2010, 02:41 PM
Ha! You can't be god. C'mon, god can't be Scottish. He's probably Jamaican.

Anyways, you're a cool guy & smarter than most, but the words "scientifically proven" rule your judgement.

Scientists are only right based on our extremely limited perception of shit. And when we do manage to perceive just a tiny little bit more, we find out that it was all wrong.

How many times did it happen? How many times can they get away with stuff like "We used to think that (something), but TODAY, we KNOW..." like that guy you posted a couple months ago. He kept saying that shit. Like we now know indisputable truths that we'll never be proven wrong.

Trouble is, they HAVE to do that. If scientists show all the doubts they do have, they'll be discredited. Because people want answers, And the answers that scientists give them are the same that religion gives. Fancies. Theories.

In order keep to advancing mankind, they have to keep fooling everyone. I appreciate all the work they do. I love the internets & I love porn & videogames & mass produced booze & refrigerators & silicone & air conditioning.

But I don't look for answers there. There's no answers anywhere. All Newton discovered was that stuff falls. Babies know that the minute they first kiss the floor. All the rest is extrapolation.

FORD
09-15-2010, 02:53 PM

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/cear_moak/JesusChristHadDreads.png

chefcraig
09-15-2010, 02:57 PM
But I don't look for answers there. There's no answers anywhere. All Newton discovered was that stuff falls. Babies know that the minute they first kiss the floor. All the rest is extrapolation.

Pretty much, and nicely said. Did Jesus exist? Possibly. Did he die and somehow come back to life? Only if he was truly dead in the first place. On the other hand, does the theory of evolution hold water? About as well as a cheese grater, when you consider the mathematical impossibilities the theory requires you to accept for it to work.

Look, I have a tough enough time figuring out how my tv remote works, let alone the structure of the universe and my rightful place in it. If people wish to debate the pros and cons of cosmic finality, I say let 'em. At the end of the day, it's all a bunch of navel gazing baloney anyway, and ultimately doesn't change much. Tomorrow, you'll still have to drag your ass out of bed in the morning, get cleaned up and on to work, deal with absolute nitwits and situations far beyond your control while looking forward to the weekend, then attempt to get back home safely all while not hurting yourself or those you care about. And that folks, is the essence of human existence.

Anonymous
09-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Pretty much, and nicely said. Did Jesus exist? Possibly. Did he die and somehow come back to life? Only if he was truly dead in the first place. On the other hand, does the theory of evolution hold water? About as well as a cheese grater, when you consider the mathematical impossibilities the theory requires you to accept for it to work.

Look, I have a tough enough time figuring out how my tv remote works, let alone the structure of the universe and my rightful place in it. If people wish to debate the pros and cons of cosmic finality, I say let 'em. At the end of the day, it's all a bunch of navel gazing baloney anyway, and ultimately doesn't change much. Tomorrow, you'll still have to drag your ass out of bed in the morning, get cleaned up and on to work, deal with absolute nitwits and situations far beyond your control while looking forward to the weekend, then attempt to get back home safely all while not hurting yourself or those you care about. And that folks, is the essence of human existence.

THIS is the truth. All the rest is you deceiving yourself.

By the way, about figuring out your TV remote... remember when you had to setup your VCR to record some shit when you weren't home?

Getting into NASA isn't nearly half as difficult as that shit. I actually had to look at the instructions.

Noone else I knew could do it. And now, it's a worthless ability. You got your STBs that do everything at the press of a button. Kids today have it easy.

Seshmeister
09-15-2010, 03:58 PM

No no no no no no no no no.

There are woolly bits of science and unprovable theories but I don't know where you got the idea that evolution is one of them.

In the last 30 years evolution has been completely proved both by huge numbers of fossils but also completely doubly by genetics. There are absolutely no 'mathematical impossibilities' as regards evolution. There is a degree of leeway about the development of some initial amino acids at the very beginning but that's it.

chefcraig
09-15-2010, 04:04 PM
In the last 30 years evolution has been completely proved both by huge numbers of fossils but also completely doubly by genetics. There are absolutely no 'mathematical impossibilities' as regards evolution. There is a degree of leeway about the development of some initial amino acids at the very beginning but that's it.

Crap, at this point in the day I'm so punch drunk I can't tell if you are being serious or not. Either way, about an hour from now, I'll be able to get a beer. So much for leeway.

Sam42
09-15-2010, 04:04 PM
The existence of God by humans can only be explained by what our ancient ancestor's may not have only seen but perceived as something that was super natural in ability. We as humans ponder the existence of a one true GOD because the belief has been passed down since man probably became the dominate species on this planet.

We still don't have the full truth that us humans started on this planet or our DNA was brought here from another. GOD could be nothing more than a humanoid that came here from a far off place that was seen by our ancestor's as a ultimate and all powerful being.

I don't think we as humans have enough comprehension abilities to understand the truth about how we and our universe became.

So the question remains. Does GOD exist. I guess the only answer can be found within yourself.

Seshmeister
09-15-2010, 04:17 PM

Actually Jamaica and Scotland used to be on connected but their plate went away West and left us here.

I'm reminded of an old joke I used to have hanging in my bathroom but took down eventually in case it caused offence... :)

Once upon a time in the Kingdom of Heaven, God went missing for six days.
Eventually, Gabriel the archangel found him, resting on the seventh day.

He inquired of God, "Where have you been?"
God sighed a deep sigh of satisfaction and proudly pointed
downwards through the clouds,
"Look Gabriel, look what I've made."

Archangel Gabriel looked puzzled and said,
"What is it?"

"It's a planet", replied God, "and I've put LIFE on it. I'm going to call it Earth and it's going to be a great place of balance".

"Balance?" inquired Gabriel, still confused.

God explained, pointing to different parts of Earth. "For example,
Northern Europe will be a place of great opportunity and wealth while Southern
Europe is going to be poor; the Middle East over there will be a hot spot."

"Over there I've placed a continent of white people and over there is a continent of black people" God continued, pointing to different countries.

And over there, I call this place America. North America will be rich and powerful and cold, while South America will be poor, and hot and friendly.
And the little spot in the middle is Central America which is a hot spot.
Can you see the balance?"

"Yes" said the Archangel, impressed by Gods work, then he pointed to a small country in Northern Europe,
"What's that one?"

"Ah" said God. "That's Scotland, the most glorious place on Earth. There are beautiful snow capped mountains, untouched rivers, streams and lochs of exquisite, timeless beauty.
The people make a drink called Uisge Beatha or Whiskey which means "The Water of Life".
The people are good looking, intelligent and humorous and they're going to be
found travelling the world. They'll be extremely sociable, hard-working and high-achieving, and they will be known throughout the world as warriors, engineers, inventors and pioneers.

Gabriel gasped in wonder and admiration but then said
"You said there will be BALANCE!"

God replied wisely.
"Wait until you see the bastards I'm putting next to them!".

Anonymous
09-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Hahahahahahahahaha, that joke is top shite! Why did you take that out? If someone gets offended reading that, he's just showing his true face. You gotta be able to laff at yourself. I should know. I'm Portuguese.

Now, as for good looking, well... Susan Boyle. :)

Seshmeister
09-15-2010, 05:43 PM
Susan Fucking Boyle, what an ambassador...

I preferred when Groundskeeper Willy was the most famous Scottish person in the world.

hambon4lif
09-15-2010, 06:04 PM

I preferred when Groundskeeper Willy was the most famous Scottish person in the world.Whenever I read your posts, I read them in Craig Fergusons voice.

I have not a fucking clue why I do that, but I've been doing that for years...

....does that make me a racist?

Seshmeister
09-15-2010, 06:09 PM
Actually it's very close. I'm from the same area and background and reading his book found I have drank in a lot of the same places.

I'm younger though and not a quitter... :)

Anonymous
09-15-2010, 08:24 PM

I preferred when Groundskeeper Willy was the most famous Scottish person in the world.

Just messing with ya, bro. I know how much you dislike the Susan Boyle fairy tale.

An ugly spinster who spent all her leisure time practicing for church choirs is given the Cinderella treatment & everybody falls for it. "You have the voice of an angel", "This is proof that we must follow our dreams", etc.

Granted, YouTube comments are the cesspit of human stupidity, but the ones writing it are people.

Years of being manipulated by the media have taught nothing. I think this is what Chef meant by proving the theory of evolution wrong. You see, by forming a society that goes against natural laws, we have allowed the weak & retarded to breed. What's worse, since people with any hint of intellect are worried about the state of human society, they frown upon having their children living in this shithole, while the retarded just don't care & keep breeding.

We're fucked. Evolution got bitch-slapped.

Seshmeister
09-15-2010, 08:41 PM
I hate everything about it.

The assumption she couldn't sing because she is ugly when almost all the beautiful people in pop don't sing. That she is so special when there are thousands that can sing better.

The thing that annoys me most though is the staging and manipulation. Like the Cowell and his talentless judges of talent pretending they didn't know what was going on. Pretending that they see every one of the thousands of applicants and that the whole thing isn't completely set up.

You've got me started again... :)

Apparently she's singing to the pope this week when he visits. They should get together, I think they could both do with a fuck. :)

Nickdfresh
09-15-2010, 11:06 PM
No no no no no no no no no.

There are woolly bits of science and unprovable theories but I don't know where you got the idea that evolution is one of them.

Absolutely! Evolution is why we're all so poorly designed for our current environments and why many things don't make sense until you look at ingrained constructs regarding survival on an African plain where a sabertooth tiger is trying to rip your intestines out...

Seshmeister
09-15-2010, 11:26 PM
We need to get religion out of education.

It's only in countries like Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Indonesia, Nigeria and the USA that people seem to think that evolution is not a gimme.

Mushroom
09-16-2010, 02:58 AM
I'm waiting for a sign to build Noah's Ark 2.0. I mean, really God, we have more dispicable humans now than we ever have in the history of the world. I calculated this next ark will be smaller since humans cause all modern extinctions, and I won't have to make room for dinosaurs.

Golden AWe
09-16-2010, 05:08 AM
We need to get religion out of education.

It's only in countries like Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Indonesia, Nigeria and the USA that people seem to think that evolution is not a gimme.

Yesss...

Look at that nutcase priest threatening to burn Korans. He's getting way more attention than the horrible events of Afganisthan.

Seshmeister
09-16-2010, 05:11 AM
I'm waiting for a sign to build Noah's Ark 2.0. I mean, really God, we have more dispicable humans now than we ever have in the history of the world. I calculated this next ark will be smaller since humans cause all modern extinctions, and I won't have to make room for dinosaurs.

Getting the 600 000 species of beetles is going to keep you busy.

binnie
09-16-2010, 06:31 AM
I'm just waiting for my next blow job, to be honest.

Seshmeister
09-16-2010, 07:17 AM
Well I'm not doing it...

Seshmeister
09-16-2010, 07:20 AM
Yesss...

Look at that nutcase priest threatening to burn Korans. He's getting way more attention than the horrible events of Afganisthan.

Even more distasteful is that the media here has been full of a little match fixing scandal in a cricket match with Pakistan which gets far more coverage than all the people dying in floods there.

It's all about cognitive dissonance, most human thought processes are a bit crap.

Even I spend a lot more time thinking about tits than AIDS in Africa and I'm probably god.

Nitro Express
09-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Pizza & beer - Kosher style!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_rUyfOI7LHdE/SfkgQK6P_iI/AAAAAAAABD8/RnfJi6OnZV4/s400/LA+Pizza+kosher+wide.JPG

http://www.ship-of-fools.com/gadgets/food_drink/media/messiah_bold.jpg

And an endless supply if Jesus likes you. Beats the hell out of bread and fish in the old days.

PETE'S BROTHER
09-16-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm just waiting for my next blow job, to be honest.

i got one last night.:tongue0011:

Grant
09-16-2010, 06:47 PM
I would also like to think that there is a possible after life because life to me would be a bit anti-climatic to me. Again, it's nothing you can ever prove scientifically, but just something that I have faith in, along with believing in christ as my savior.

It's something that will never ever be proven, which is why you'll always have skeptics. Nothing wrong with that, but I also say that there is too, nothing wrong with having faith so long as it's not done out of hate or personal gain.

I'm currently reading a fascinating book (which you may be interested in) called 'Journey Of Souls: Case Studies Of Life Between Lives' by Dr Michael Newton, which basically deals with actual case studies of clients who undergo hypnotherapy and age-regression techniques to supposedly report back what the "spiritual world" is like after when one passes on.

Seshmeister
09-16-2010, 07:14 PM
'Supposedly' is the word.

You know if it did work what you could quite easily do is a double blind experiment where you take people with no prior knowledge that they were going to get 'age-regression hypnotherapy', get details of these previous lives and then check the historical record. As long as there were safeguards against the 'therapist' cold reading your man Newton would then be a world renowned Nobel winning scientist and hero.

Unfortunately he can't do this of course because it's a complete fucking crock.