PDA

View Full Version : Islamophobe's Past in Germany: Terry Jones Accused of 'Spiritual Abuse' at church

FORD
09-08-2010, 04:44 PM
09/08/2010 05:19 PM
Islamophobe's Past in Germany
Terry Jones Accused of 'Spiritual Abuse' at Cologne Church

By Yassin Musharbash and Dominik Peters

US fundamentalist pastor Terry Jones, who wants to burn copies of the Koran on Sept. 11, ran a church in the western German city of Cologne until last year when members of the congregation expelled him. Former members have spoken of his hate-filled sermons and insistence on "blind obedience."

The world is holding its breath -- and it's all down to a tiny Christian fundamentalist church in Florida.

Next Saturday, on the anniversary of the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, Rev. Terry Jones and his colleagues plan to burn hundreds of copies of the Koran on the church's property in Gainesville, Florida.

The White House has condemned the plan, and Muslim organizations around the world have warned of the consequences should the Koran-burning go ahead. But the church is sticking to its plans.

Naturally the radical Islamophobes know very well that their deliberate provocation could trigger potentially violent protests and riots. But they have washed their hands of any responsibility. "Let's just make one thing clear," the wannabe Koran-burners write on their blog. "A small church, in a small town, down a back road, burning copies of its own books, on its own property, is not responsible for the violent actions anyone may take in retaliation to our protest."

Terry Jones, the man behind the action, is the pastor of the Dove World Outreach Center, a church that manages to attract a Sunday congregation of just 50 people, members of the radical fringe of the evangelical movement. Jones, a 58-year-old former hotel manager with a distinctive mustache, is also the author of a polemic book titled "Islam Is of the Devil."

'Climate of Fear and Control'

In the United States, Jones has already attracted attention on several occasions as an Islamophobic provocateur. What is less well known is that the pastor led a charismatic evangelical church, the Christian Community of Cologne, in the western German city up until 2009. Last year, however, the members of the congregation kicked founder Jones out, because of his radicalism. One of the church's current leaders, Stephan Baar, also told the German news agency DPA that there had been suspicions of financial irregularities in the church surrounding Jones.

A "climate of fear and control" had previously prevailed in the congregation, says one former member of the church who does not want to be named. Instead of free expression, "blind obedience" was demanded, he says.

Various witnesses gave SPIEGEL ONLINE consistent accounts of the Jones' behavior. The pastor and his wife apparently regarded themselves as having been appointed by God, meaning opposition was a crime against the Lord. Terry and Sylvia Jones allegedly used these methods to ask for money in an increasingly insistent manner, as well as making members of the congregation carry out work.

Andrew Schäfer, a Protestant Church official responsible for monitoring sects in the region where Cologne is located, confirmed the accounts. "Terry Jones is a fundamentalist," he told SPIEGEL ONLINE.

Both major churches in Germany have "sect commissioners" who monitor the activities of religious groups, sects and cults. Although they are obviously not totally impartial, the officials' findings are usually considered to be trustworthy.

'Delusional Personality'

Former church members are still undergoing therapy as a result of "spiritual abuse," Schäfer said. According to Schäfer, Jones urged church members to beat their children with a rod and also taught "a distinctive demonology" and conducted brainwashing.

"Terry Jones appears to have a delusional personality," speculates Schäfer. When he came to Germany in the 1980s, Jones apparently considered Cologne "a city of Hell that was founded by Nero's mother," while he thought Germany was "a key country for the supposed Christian revival of Europe," Schäfer says.

Terry Jones used his powers of persuasion to expand the congregation. By the end, Schäfer estimates, it numbered between 800 and 1,000 people. They had to work in the so-called "Lisa Jones Houses," charitable institutions named after his first wife who has since died, under very poor conditions.

Increasingly Radical

Jones became increasingly radical as the years went by, former associates say. At one point he wanted to help a homosexual member to "pray away his sins." Later he began to increasingly target Islam in his sermons. A congregation member reported that some members were afraid to attend services because they expected to be attacked by Muslims. "Terry Jones has a talent for finding topical social issues and seizing on them for his own cause," says Schäfer.

By the end of 2007, the community had had enough. Members confronted him and tried to change the direction of the church. But Terry Jones refused to make changes, they say. In the end, Jones, his wife and their fellow preachers were expelled from the church and he moved back to the US. "The community imploded," says Schäfer. It only has some 80 active members today.

Now the whole world is condemning Jones for his planned burning of copies of the Koran. Schäfer, for his part, sees Jones as a fanatic who is courting global media attention because he couldn't cope with the "immense loss of power and significance."

URL:

* http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,716409,00.html

ELVIS
09-08-2010, 04:56 PM
I wonder if he can pray liberal sins away...

GAR
09-08-2010, 05:12 PM
HOW can a pastor be both a 'Phobe AND a Hater?

.. shit, make up your mind JACKASS

GAR
09-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Elvis, do they still throw people in prison over in Germany for going Seig Heil?

A guy told me a few months ago "you don't do stuff like that over there, they'll arrest you for "Social Abuse"...:hi-hand:

Diamondjimi
09-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Last year, however, the members of the congregation kicked founder Jones out, because of his radicalism. One of the church's current leaders, Stephan Baar, also told the German news agency DPA that there had been suspicions of financial irregularities in the church surrounding Jones.

Wow, corruption in "organized" religion. Who'da thought....

Like GAR, Fuckbags like this Jones cunt ,are the bottomfeeders of society...

Nickdfresh
09-08-2010, 09:52 PM
It's rather amusing how GAR has become Katydid with his stupidity and conspiratorial trash...

BITEYOASS
09-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Damn I guess Terry Jones let that "Spanish Inquisition" routine go to his head. LOL :biggrin:

FORD
09-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Nah, if this was THAT Terry Jones, he could get more than 80 people to join his church.

GAR
09-08-2010, 10:10 PM
"Terry Jones has a talent for finding topical social issues and seizing on them for his own cause," says Schäfer.

You dicks fail to highlight the obvious: the guy's neither Phobe nor Hater.. he's a Master Debator!

Well, he's certainly found an issue this time..

jhale667
09-09-2010, 12:04 AM
He's a Phobe and a hater, dumbass.

Y'know, much like you fear the Mexicans (you hate) stealing your menial job... :lol:

LoungeMachine
09-09-2010, 01:53 AM
You dicks fail to highlight the obvious: the guy's neither Phobe nor Hater.. he's a Master Debator!

Well, he's certainly found an issue this time..

I see your attraction to this nutjob......

He's just another attention-seeking troll like you.......

only successful

:gulp:

Nickdfresh
09-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Yeah, he has a job that can't be stolen by Mexicans...

chefcraig
09-09-2010, 08:53 AM
The world is holding its breath -- and it's all down to a tiny Christian fundamentalist church in Florida.

Yet further proof for my theory that if a story is vile, preposterously insipid, bat-shittedly bonkers or just plain wrong, it has it's roots in the "Sunshine State". :duh:

ELVIS
09-09-2010, 10:11 AM
It's rather amusing how GAR has become Katydid with his stupidity and conspiratorial trash...

Golly gee, that's a fresh new angle...

Way to add content to the thread, Dfb...

:elvis:

FORD
09-10-2010, 03:58 PM
09/10/2010 04:43 PM
Interview with Pastor Jones' Daughter
'Papa, Don't Do It'

It remains unclear whether Pastor Terry Jones will go ahead with his plan to burn Korans in Florida on Saturday. His daughter Emma has begged him not to go through with it. In an interview with SPIEGEL ONLINE, she describes a man who became a victim of his own delusions.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Ms. Jones, your father wants to burn hundreds of Korans at his church in Florida on Saturday. What do you think of the plan?

Emma Jones: I am shocked and condemn it. When I hear what he is currently saying in interviews about his motivations, he seems like a stranger to me.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Have you asked him not to go through with it?

Jones: Yes. I sent him an e-mail. I wrote: Papa, don't do it. I actually haven't had any contact with him since he left Cologne in 2008. But because I think his plan is so awful, I implored him to consider the consequences -- not just for him but for the whole world.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Has he answered?

Jones: No. But I didn't think he would.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Why do you think your father sees Islam in such a hostile way?

Jones: It is relatively new. For years he led a church in Cologne that was, at first, merely Bible oriented, but later it began to have sect-like elements. Just before he left Cologne in 2008 and returned to the US, he began saying that Islam is getting the upper hand and that we can't allow it. But I didn't grow up with this radicalism.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: How did you grow up?

Jones: We were raised in a very Christian household, and it was very strict. But also very social. We received visits from people from all over the world and were open to everything.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Former members of his church have spoken of psychological cruelty, forced work, financial irregularities and calls to beat ones own children.

Jones: My mother, Lisa Jones, died in 1996 of a heart attack. Shortly thereafter, my father remarried and I left the church at age 17. In 2005, he offered me a job as a bookkeeper in a company belonging to the church, which sold donated furniture on eBay. I gained a new insight, and realized that my father preached things and did things that I didn't find to be in accordance with the Bible at all. He demanded that people completely obey him and his second wife, Sylvia. Both are extremely obsessed with power. I saw genuine religious delusion. A typical indication of a sect. Both of them wanted to control everything.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Did you confront your father at the time?

Jones: Yes. I didn't agree with those things which I saw as exploitation and psychological abuse. I repeatedly brought those things up. In the end, he called me into his office and said he received a message from God for me: God would take my children and then kill me. I stood up and left. Then I contacted members of the church and tried to open their eyes. And I was successful.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: It is true, then, that the church in Cologne ousted your father itself?

Jones: Yes.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Did he leave Cologne willingly?

Jones: It was a mixture. We confronted him and demanded that he correct his errors. But he didn't give in. When we brought up the church finances, he disappeared the next day.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Are you still involved with the church that he left behind?

Jones: No.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Do you believe your father is serious about burning the Korans?

Jones: I do. My father is not one to give up. As his daughter, I can see the good-natured core deep inside him. But I think he needs help.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Is your father a megalomaniac?

Jones: I'm afraid he is. As his daughter, it is difficult for me to say that.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: There are apparently a number of your father's German followers with him in Gainesville. Did he take some of the Cologne church members with him?

Jones: Yes. Some of his followers went with him.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Your father recently said he would consider cancelling the plans if the White House were to contact him personally.

Jones: I don't know what's going through his head. I think he has gone crazy. But I am convinced that he thinks his plan is both correct and good.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: He has indicated that the final decision will be imparted to him by God. Does he see himself as someone who is in constant contact with God?

Jones: Yes. He was constantly comparing himself with Moses.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: If you knew that your father would read this interview, what would you say to him?

Jones: That he needs help. That he is on the wrong path. But that there are people who love him anyway. I sincerely hope that he comes to his senses.

Interview conducted by Yassin Musharbash. Translated from the German.

URL:

* http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,716858,00.html

chefcraig
09-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Well, the guy's daughter might seem OK, but his son is a genuine Mr. Potato Head.

It is looking more and more like Jones, the head of the Dove World Outreach Center — a tiny non-denominational church on the outskirts of Gainesville — believes his cause is more important than not only the lives of American soldiers but also the lives of UF football fans. I asked Luke Jones, the pastor's 29-year-old son, earlier this week, if the insanely incendiary scheduled burning of Islam's holy book is worth risking the safety of 95,000 football fans scheduled to attend the Florida-South Florida football game Saturday at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

"If you consider 1.5 billion Muslims going to hell," he answered defiantly, "then yes!"

Article - Threat of Quran-burning by Pastor Terry Jones is holding Gators football hostage (http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-09-09/sports/bianchi-terry-jones-gators.xml-20100909_1_quran-ben-hill-griffin-stadium-uf-football)

Nitro Express
09-10-2010, 04:50 PM
A desire to burn books and Germany. Oh please don't tell me that shit is coming back again.

FORD
09-10-2010, 05:20 PM
A desire to burn books and Germany. Oh please don't tell me that shit is coming back again.

That's probably what the Germans thought, and why they kicked the bastard out.

Nickdfresh
09-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Golly gee, that's a fresh new angle...

Way to add content to the thread, Dfb...

:elvis:

Oh my! doesn't Elvis' Nurse Ratched Mangina have a big yeast infection today?

By all means, why don't you actually add some content to anything here? dickbag.