PDA

View Full Version : Clint Eastwood 'said no to James Bond and Superman'

Seshmeister
09-09-2010, 10:58 AM
http://www.metro.co.uk/film/840433-clint-eastwood-said-no-to-james-bond-and-superman

Clint Eastwood has revealed that he turned down the chance to play both James Bond and Superman

Clint Eastwood turned down role as James Bond and Superman

The Hollywood legend claimed he was approached to replace Sean Connery as 007 after the Scottish star quit the role in 1967.

He told the Los Angeles Times that he was offered "good money" to star as the womanising spy but ended up passing on the role because it "didn't feel right".
Eastwood said: "But to me, well, that was somebody else's gig."
"That's Sean's deal. It didn't feel right for me to be doing it."

The 80-year-old star was also offered the role of Superman - a part which eventually went to Christopher Reeve.

"This was when they first started to think about making it," he said.

"I was like, 'Superman? Nah, nah, that’s not for me'. Not that there’s anything wrong with it. It’s for somebody, but not me."

The Dirty Harry star claimed he wasn't into dressing up in tights and a cape, adding: "I always liked characters that were more grounded in reality."

Seshmeister
09-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Hollywood people are nuts. Eastwood as Bond would be like having John Cleese play Dirty Harry.

That said this story brings it to about 50 actors who have said they were approached...

chefcraig
09-09-2010, 11:13 AM
For a while there, comic book fan and Hollywood nutcase Nicholas Cage was working on a revisionist take on Superman, which would feature him in the starring role. More than likely this was inspired by Michael Keaton's success in the first two Batman films. Fortunately, the idea never got past the development stage, as the world probably wasn't ready for a mumbling and morose "Man of Steel", not to mention a balding one with a Presley fixation. On the down side, this lead to the insufferable Brandon Routh version, which put people to sleep more effectively than Thanksgiving dinner and set the series back yet another decade.

GAR
09-09-2010, 11:47 AM
I was as surprised Michael Keaton's role as Batman didn't lead to more tough-guy roles, as much as I was surprised he worked out as Batman.

Instead, he went back to doing Mr. Mom roles.

thome
09-09-2010, 12:13 PM
I thought the Daniel Craig version of Bond was more like a white Vin Diesle movie than a Bond flick.Not very Bond'ish..

Dirty Harry Tuxedo...

faking a english accent ...? wouldn't work in anyway.

Eastwood could play Felix Leiter but never as cool as

Jack Lord.

Seshmeister
09-09-2010, 03:02 PM
For a while there, comic book fan and Hollywood nutcase Nicholas Cage was working on a revisionist take on Superman, which would feature him in the starring role.

He was going to call it Superhorse...

ELVIS
09-09-2010, 03:15 PM
http://www.tvcrazy.net/tvclassics/articles/superman/clint-eastwood.jpg

:elvis:

Seshmeister
09-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Clint would have been 48 when the first Superman movie came out!

bueno bob
09-10-2010, 11:03 PM
Fuck, they offered Superman to Muhammad Ali for Chrissakes...however, they also offered it to Christopher Walken...and THAT might have actually been kinda cool, lol...

Seshmeister
09-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Superman is the dumbest of all superheroes. I've never understood the attraction.

He is far far too powerful to give any tension, he's never had much character as a goody goody alien and his secret identity involving not wearing glasses didn't make sense to me at all even as a kid.

ELVIS
09-11-2010, 12:15 AM
http://www.sunglassesid.com/images/sunglasses/Gargoyles-ANSI-Classics-Clint-Eastwood.jpg

:biggrin:

Grant
09-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Clint Eastwood and CLARK KENT don't mix.

POJO_Risin
09-11-2010, 09:31 PM
While I can't for the life of my think that Eastwood is the guy that could ever play that part the way it is written...

I can say that I get why he was approached. He was the #1 top box office star in the 70's, so it makes sense that he was part of the conversation, the same way that every top box office star is wanted for every movie, serious or not.

Now to the Bond film...again...makes no sense...but at the time, he had done the Spaghetti Westerns, and a couple of other films. I think he was working on "Where Eagles Dare," which isn't close to a Bond film...but an international sort of film with Richard Burton. He was THE up-and-coming actor, and as we know now...that seems to fit the bill for who ends up in the equation. At the time, he hadn't been dirty harry...and was a bit typecast as an actor in westerns...so I'm sure it made a bit more sense then. It would have never worked...

just sayin...

Nickdfresh
09-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Superman is the dumbest of all superheroes. I've never understood the attraction.

He is far far too powerful to give any tension, he's never had much character as a goody goody alien and his secret identity involving not wearing glasses didn't make sense to me at all even as a kid.

Right! I always found Wonderman to be much more realistic! :)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xruHo6oB_4I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xruHo6oB_4I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

sadaist
09-11-2010, 11:54 PM
I was as surprised Michael Keaton's role as Batman didn't lead to more tough-guy roles, as much as I was surprised he worked out as Batman.

Instead, he went back to doing Mr. Mom roles.

Yeah. He really fucked up on that one. You really have to strike fast in Hollywood when that window opens. Speaking of Nick Cage, he is prime example. He got a quick window after Leaving Las Vegas...and spun it fast in to Face Off, Con Air, and The Rock. Did really well and became a super star. Keaton failed to capitalize off the Batman window.