PDA

View Full Version : Humanitarian Organization Allowed to Fire non-Christians

BigBadBrian
09-13-2010, 12:32 PM
By Daniel Burke
Religion News Service

(RNS) World Vision, the Christian humanitarian organization, can fire employees who disagree with its theological tenets, a federal appeals court ruled on Monday (Aug. 23).

In a 2-1 decision, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said that World Vision is a "religious corporation" and therefore exempt from a federal law that bars faith-based discrimination.

"I am satisfied that World Vision has met its burden of showing that the 'general picture' of the organization is 'primarily religious,"' wrote Judge Diarmuid O'Scannlain. "World Vision is a nonprofit organization whose humanitarian relief efforts flow from a profound sense of religious mission."'

Three employees, two of whom had worked at World Vision for 10 years, were fired in 2006 because they did not believe in the divinity of Jesus or the doctrine of the Trinity, O'Scannlain wrote. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 bars religious discrimination, but carves out an exemption for companies engaged in a religious purpose, the court ruled.

Judge Marsha S. Berzon dissented from the majority opinion, saying Congress did not intend to allow all religiously motivated nonprofits to be exempt from the law.

"That interpretation would severely tip the balance away from the pluralistic vision Congress incorporated ... toward a society in which employers could self-declare as religious enclaves from which dissenters can be excluded despite their ability to do the assigned secular work as well as religiously acceptable employees," Berzon wrote.

The decision comes as President Obama is weighing whether the government should help fund religious charities that refuse to hire people of other faiths. White House officials have said the Justice Department is studying the matter, and decisions will be made on a case-by-case basis until a final decision is rendered.

World Vision praised the Ninth Circuit ruling in a statement. "Our Christian faith has been the foundation of our work since the organization was established in 1950, and our hiring policy is vital to the integrity of our mission to serve the poor as followers of Jesus Christ."
LINK (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/24/world-vision-christian-hu_n_693153.html)

chefcraig
09-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Unfortunately, there is some vital information missing in this article. For one thing, was a belief in "the divinity of Jesus or the doctrine of the Trinity" necessary for these people to do their jobs in a proper fashion? I mean it would be one thing if the employees were involved in the day to day administration of these beliefs to the public, it would be quite another thing if they worked in the kitchen as prep cooks or dishwashers, as maintenance people or material handlers. Even so, the decision seems wrong-headed. A job is a job as long as you can do it properly. Hell, I despise tofu and believe vegetarianism to be the work not of the devil, but of nitwits. However, these beliefs have never hindered me from working for health food restaurants as a chef when I needed the money badly enough.

jhale667
09-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Another example of Christian "tolerance" ... :rolleyes: Totally agree w/Craig - if they weren't directly involved in the "ministry" aspect of the gig... firing them is bullshit.

FORD
09-13-2010, 01:30 PM
World Vision, in reality, is a CIA front posing as a charitable religious organization.

Some interesting names have been linked to "World Vision" in the past. Jim Jones. Mark Chapman. John Hinkley (and his dad). Just to name a few....

Nitro Express
09-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Who would want to work for them in the first place? I'm I white, non-muslim guy from Wyoming. If Farakan's black, muslims told be they had no use for my services, I would get it and look for a job more fitting.

Nitro Express
09-13-2010, 02:06 PM
World Vision, in reality, is a CIA front posing as a charitable religious organization.

Some interesting names have been linked to "World Vision" in the past. Jim Jones. Mark Chapman. John Hinkley (and his dad). Just to name a few....

Ford is always the conspiracy guy. Do you think this whole 9/11 mosque thing is a CIA operation to inflame the middle east situation to justify our wars there. I actually wouldn't put it past them. It's interesting the mosque builder spoke at the Council of Foreign Relations. Why there? This whole thing smells in my oppinion.

knuckleboner
09-13-2010, 06:16 PM
ninth circuit, huh? them's the liberal circuit, too...

FORD
09-13-2010, 08:25 PM
ninth circuit, huh? them's the liberal circuit, too...

It used to be :(

Too many Chimpointed judges in recent years.

Nickdfresh
09-13-2010, 09:09 PM
...Hell, I despise tofu and believe vegetarianism to be the work not of the devil, but of nitwits. However, these beliefs have never hindered me from working for health food restaurants as a chef when I needed the money badly enough.

You must have felt very dirty. :(

FORD
09-13-2010, 10:27 PM
Ford is always the conspiracy guy. Do you think this whole 9/11 mosque thing is a CIA operation to inflame the middle east situation to justify our wars there. I actually wouldn't put it past them. It's interesting the mosque builder spoke at the Council of Foreign Relations. Why there? This whole thing smells in my oppinion.

Funny you should mention that. Mike Malloy is talking about this right now You might be on to something here.....

On second thought, this needs its own thread.

chefcraig
09-13-2010, 10:28 PM
You must have felt very dirty. :(

To an extent, I did. But the point is that dirt was washed away when I cashed the checks.

Look, we all have to make certain sacrifices in order to put food on the table. If these folks valued their employment while working for a company that expresses a certain ideal or mission statement, perhaps it would have been in their own best interest to keep their mouths shut about ideals contrary. But we do not know if this was even the case.

As I initially stated, there is information vital to the story that is lacking. Did these people do things contrary to the stated core values of the company? Did they wear "Anti-Jesus" T-shirts, or speak aloud of their own personal misgivings while they performed their hired tasks? Or were they made to answer some sort of company questionnaire at one point, designed not to offer example of their work competence, yet to yield a discovery of how deep their faith was?

The thing is at this point, we do not know all of the details. The truth of the employees' firing is still nebulous, while the outcome has been rendered as obvious. Ironically, the devil is in the details. And that side of the story has yet to come to light.

ELVIS
09-13-2010, 11:54 PM
I hear NAMBLA is looking for a good chef...

BigBadBrian
09-14-2010, 07:27 AM
Another example of Christian "tolerance"

Wrong as usual. It's a Christian organization and therefore can require it's workers to believe in the Gospel (the only TRUE faith, by the way).

Your argument is like saying nuns don't have to be Catholic.

Or, more up your alley (quite literally), NAMBLA members don't have to be rump-pumping fags like you. :lmao:

ELVIS
09-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Yeah, but they need a chef, not a taco shell filler...

Unchainme
09-14-2010, 10:48 AM
what did jim jones have to do with the BCE? just curious

jhale667
09-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Wrong as usual. It's a Christian organization and therefore can require it's workers to believe in the Gospel (the only TRUE faith, by the way).

Your argument is like saying nuns don't have to be Catholic.

Or, more up your alley (quite literally), NAMBLA members don't have to be rump-pumping fags like you. :lmao:

More projection from the site's biggest turd-burglar zealot troll. And Nuns have to be Catholic because of that VOW they have to take, dummy. You're retarded.

"One true gospel"...give me a fucking break. I'm sure a few other religions (probably a few variations of your own, too) would likely debate that statement with you, and they'd be WRONG just like you, superstition-boy. Nothing passed down by word-of-mouth by illiterate sheep herders before there WAS written language is "true Gospel" - idiot. Zealot scumbag. You haven't the first clue what it means to be Christian. You reinforce my disgust for organized religion - particularly FAKE Christians like you - daily. :fufu:

And how many times to I have to tell you just because YOU spank it to pictures of me (eww) it doesn't make ME gay? You're the one with the admitted stalker man-crush on me, sailor. :turninggay:

ELVIS
09-14-2010, 11:56 AM
Nuns have to be Catholic because of that VOW they have to take, dummy. You're retarded.

A Christian run organization might feel the same way...

ELVIS
09-14-2010, 11:56 AM
Not ALL

jhale667
09-14-2010, 12:00 PM
A Christian run organization might feel the same way...

What that you have to take a vow to answer the phones? As (Terror) ChefCraig :lmao: said, depends on what capacity they were employed in. The devil's in the details.

ELVIS
09-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Dude, you got an order up, go make some taco shells...

Guitar Shark
09-14-2010, 12:14 PM

Why am I not surprised that you are familiar with NAMBLA's needs?

ELVIS
09-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Michael Savage taught me...:biggrin:

BITEYOASS
09-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Michael Savage taught me...:biggrin:

Allen Ginsberg's former lover taught you?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_cMantbY_DSY/R7UD2L0I4TI/AAAAAAAAAU0/w4tLCCfP1Z4/s320/savage_hippy.jpg

jhale667
09-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Dude, you got an order up, go make some taco shells...

Nice try. Wanna compare resumes, loser? Didn't think so.

Don't you have bedpans you should be emptying about now, btw? :lol:

ELVIS
09-14-2010, 01:22 PM
Can't you bring yourself to respond to an argument ??

FORD
09-14-2010, 01:28 PM
Allen Ginsberg's former lover taught you?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_cMantbY_DSY/R7UD2L0I4TI/AAAAAAAAAU0/w4tLCCfP1Z4/s320/savage_hippy.jpg

Given his NAMBLA comments above, ELVIS was probably inspired by the love letters that Weiner wrote to Ginsberg about swimming naked with young boys off the coast of Fiji.

ELVIS
09-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Trying to reduce yourself to gayhale's level ??

jhale667
09-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Trying to reduce yourself to gayhale's level ??

Shouldn't you be giving an elderly gentleman a sponge-bath about now? Or struggling with some Yngwie tabulature, Nurse Jackoff?

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9V005J826SXS2rSgWC7J3iqOKz3-_8ZWYU6OL3y-2aNX8Zuw&t=1&usg=__9UraroOZ6FEn9qenPrxSzjFHiu4=

:baaa:

ELVIS
09-14-2010, 01:44 PM
I can't understand how someone who calls herself a guitar player constantly slams Yngwie...

jhale667
09-14-2010, 01:45 PM
Can't you bring yourself to respond to an argument ??

This from the guy who's responses are more often than not monosyllabic stupidity? Oh, the irony... :lol:

jhale667
09-14-2010, 01:47 PM
And for the record, I'm not slamming Yngwie, he rocks...I'm slamming YOU for being a fucking Yngwie-wannabe bitch. A bad one at that. :biggrin:

ELVIS
09-14-2010, 01:48 PM
I guess you equate wordiness with knowing what you're talking about...

FORD
09-14-2010, 01:57 PM
Shouldn't you be giving an elderly gentleman a sponge-bath about now? Or struggling with some Yngwie tabulature, Nurse Jackoff?

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9V005J826SXS2rSgWC7J3iqOKz3-_8ZWYU6OL3y-2aNX8Zuw&t=1&usg=__9UraroOZ6FEn9qenPrxSzjFHiu4=

:baaa:

Unleash the Focking Donut!! :biggrin:

ELVIS
09-14-2010, 01:59 PM
yeah, gayhale went to great lengths to take that pic...

jhale667
09-14-2010, 02:00 PM
I guess you equate wordiness with knowing what you're talking about...

Like you have a fucking clue what you spout off about? Riiiiiiight.

Yeah, yeah - we know... you hate it when I use big words and make you think, yes...we can't all speak in grunts like you, now can we? Wouldn't make for a very exciting read. :fufu:

Nice 3rd-grade level rhyme joke, too...

chefcraig
09-14-2010, 02:54 PM

It depends on what the pay package offers. If it includes medical, dental and a 401k, in this economy, that's pretty much all that matters. When it comes to cooks, we're all whores. And more to my original point, cooking spaghetti for an out fit does not necessarily mean you endorse it's principles, so when it comes to employment, the reverse should be true as well: A company should not be allowed to enforce it's principles upon you when it comes to personal choice AFTER they've hired you. Just because the HR person did a shitty job of recruiting you in the first place doesn't mean that you should be fired for it after the fact.

ELVIS
09-14-2010, 03:01 PM
That sounds like a self-defeating way to look at work, and therefore, life in general...

chefcraig
09-14-2010, 03:17 PM
No, it's a realistic outlook that comes with the profession. If you are looking for a rewarding career, full of the praises and comradery that goes with the knowledge of having done a good job along with being valued for your effort, look elsewhere.

ELVIS
09-14-2010, 03:21 PM
You could say that about any occupation...

chefcraig
09-14-2010, 03:23 PM
Through experience, I'm pretty much limited to talking about the ones I know. Drywall, auto parts and cooking are relatively the same thing, however, so you could be correct.

FORD
09-14-2010, 03:24 PM
You could say that about any occupation...

Like maybe a nurse who works for a company that won't even provide healthcare for its employees? ;)

jhale667
09-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Like maybe a nurse who works for a company that won't even provide healthcare for its employees? ;)

Oh, SNAP! :lol:

ELVIS
09-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Actually, I'm trying to start my own business...

BigBadBrian
09-14-2010, 05:45 PM
"One true gospel"...give me a fucking break. I'm sure a few other religions (probably a few variations of your own, too) would likely debate that statement with you, and they'd be WRONG just like you, .[/SIZE][/I] :turninggay:

Nope. I'd be right.

Also, leave me out of your "men in uniform" gay fantasies. You're quite disgusting.

BigBadBrian
09-14-2010, 05:47 PM
I can't understand how someone who calls herself a guitar player constantly slams Yngwie...

Jealousy.

Gayhale, are you as bad as LardMachine?

jhale667
09-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Kinda funny BigBlandBrainDrain is accusing Lounge and me of being homos, yet he's the one obsessively serial posting about us... closet zealot bitch! :turninggay:

:lmao:

BigBadBrian
09-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Kinda funny BigBlandBrainDrain is accusing Lounge and me of being homos, yet he's the one obsessively serial posting about us... closet zealot bitch! :turninggay: :lmao:

You're the one that keeps responding to me, following me all around. You're creeping me out.

jhale667
09-14-2010, 06:02 PM
You're the one that keeps responding to me, following me all around.

...and then you WAKE UP. You've already admitted to trying to stalk my personal pages for "dirt" you never found, remember, bitch? Nice try at the revisionist history bit, though. :lol:

You're creeping me out.

Don't worry, the feeling's mutual. Scumbag. After the shit you pulled with Kristy, you're no better than GAyR. Go die in a fire with him.

Guitar Shark
09-14-2010, 06:10 PM
You're the one that keeps responding to me, following me all around. You're creeping me out.

Enough with the revisionist history. You were the first one to bring up NAMBLA and "rump-pumping fags" in post #13 of this thread. And no one mentioned Lounge at all until you did in post #45.

I don't care if you're gay. Just quit blaming other people for your childish behavior.

Nickdfresh
09-14-2010, 09:01 PM

Did you hear that at your latest meeting?

jhale667
09-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Did you hear that at your latest meeting?

Yeah, his weekly KLANAMBLA meeting...

ELVIS
09-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Hardy har har...

FORD
09-16-2010, 10:39 PM
OK, not to get off the subject of pedophiles and "rump humping" and back onto the subject of 9-11 truth or anything, but......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wcC4Mub8WA

FORD
09-16-2010, 11:55 PM
Shit.... I put that in the wrong thread. Oh well, watch it anyway, and learn something.

ELVIS
09-17-2010, 10:28 AM
Id rather listen to Alex Jones explain it...

Grandpa there puts me to sleep...

bueno bob
09-17-2010, 04:45 PM
On a personal note, I don't think I'd want anything to do with any organization that allows for religious intolerance.