PDA

View Full Version : Quiet Riot To Return With New Singer

jhale667
09-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Did NOT see this coming...

Quiet Riot To Return With New Singer Mark Huff

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=59791

American heavy metal veterans Quiet Riot has announced that they will be returning this year to perform a headlining tour of the United States, their first since lead singer Kevin DuBrow sadly passed away in 2007. The lineup features drummer Frankie Benali, as well as guitarist Alex Grossi and bass player Chuck Wright, as well a new singer in the form of Mark Huff. The band consulted with DuBrow's mother before deciding on once again touring as Quiet Riot. The band will also be releasing a documentary in the future. You can hear re-recorded versions of some of the band's songs with Huff on vocals by heading to the band's official website.

http://www.officialquietriot.com/

http://www.officialquietriot.com/maskthumb.png

Frankie Banali is one of the best living drummers in rock, as well as a great guy...Chuck and Alex are cool too. Best of luck to them. :baaa:

jhale667
09-13-2010, 01:57 PM
Here's the band's official press release...

QUIET RIOT BACK IN BUSINESS WITH NEW SINGER AND UPCOMING TOUR

After the tragic passing of co-founding Quiet Riot singer Kevin DuBrow in 2007, many figured that the band was over. But while going through the vaults of vintage video material for an upcoming documentary of the band's history, the spark was reignited once more for drummer Frankie Banali to kick QR back in gear. The easy part was filling the guitar and bass slots - as former members Chuck Wright (bass) and Alex Grossi (guitar) promptly signed on. However, having to fill DuBrow's large shoes was no small task.

A longtime fan of heavy metal, singer Mark Huff came to Banali's attention while fronting a California-based Van Halen tribute band (that focused on the "Sammy Hagar era"). A true Cinderella story, Huff auditioned via a cattle call audition, promptly blew Banali away, and got the gig. After getting the blessing from DuBrow's mother to carry on with Quiet Riot (and to celebrate her son's music), the group was ready to rock once more.

Quiet Riot hit mega-success with their first-ever US release in 1983, the classic 'Metal Health.' Spawning two hit singles that have gone on to become synonymous with heavy metal - "Cum On Feel the Noize" and "Metal Health" - the 'Metal Health' album went on to become the first-ever metal US debut to hit the #1 spot on the Billboard album charts, and resulted in a solid year of sold-out arena shows and non-stop MTV video airplay. However, it was the DuBrow-Banali-Wright-Grossi line-up that proved to be DuBrow's favorite touring line-up (and also, most stable).

Quiet Riot is currently firming up plans for a full U.S. tour - their first in three years. And with the aforementioned documentary on the horizon, and the band's music being used in hit films ('The Wrestler,' 'Tropic Thunder'), video games ('Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80's'), and even musicals ('Rock of Ages') - as well as QR being name-checked in songs by Weezer and Ben Folds - Quiet Riot remains a major force in heavy metal. And soon, you will get a chance to bang your head once more to Quiet Riot, at a concert venue near you!

PETE'S BROTHER
09-13-2010, 01:59 PM
i'll go if they stop in the valley

Guitar Shark
09-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Here's the band's official press release...

A longtime fan of heavy metal, singer Mark Huff came to Banali's attention while fronting a California-based Van Halen tribute band (that focused on the "Sammy Hagar era"). A true Cinderella story, Huff auditioned via a cattle call audition, promptly blew Banali away, and got the gig.

The comedy writes itself.

FORD
09-13-2010, 02:03 PM
This is fucking ridiculous. How the Hell can it be "Quiet Riot" with NO original members, and only ONE guy who "officially" played on Metal Health?

(In reality, Chuck Wright played more on Metal Health than Rudy Sarzo did, but not "officially")

If Cavazo was back in, at least they could make the case of 2.5 members who played on the band's third album. But this is just a goddamn joke.

Mr Walker
09-13-2010, 02:07 PM
singer Mark Huff came to Banali's attention while fronting a California-based Van Halen tribute band (that focused on the "Sammy Hagar era")

Sounds like a fag... I'll pass on this.

jhale667
09-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Carlos seems quite happy in Ratt at the moment. Alex was playing with Adler's Appetite most recently... wonder if he's leaving them, or splitting his duties between the two...

Satan
09-13-2010, 02:19 PM
I just broke the news to Kevin & Randy. Randy just laughed. DuBrow is about as pissed off as Randy was when I told him about the Sharon Osbourne "remasters" of Blizzard & Diary.

And now..... for the REAL Quiet Riot....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_6kgJH801k

chefcraig
09-13-2010, 03:01 PM
You can hear re-recorded versions of some of the band's songs with Huff on vocals by heading to the band's official website.

Yeah, I'll be sure to do that after I eat my lunch of Egg-Beaters and Turkey Bacon, then down a non-alcoholic beer or two.

jhale667
09-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Yeah, I'll be sure to do that after I eat my lunch of Egg-Beaters and Turkey Bacon, then down a non-alcoholic beer or two.

I checked out a bit of "Cum on Feel the Noize" on the site here in the office...close approximation, but it just sounds... odd to hear someone other than Kevin singing those songs (and it NOT being a cover band). But Frankie, Chuck and Alex are all friends of mine, so I wish them well...

Little Texan
09-13-2010, 03:33 PM
They got a Van Hagar tribute band singer to replace DuBrow? That's both pathetic and funny as hell at the same time! :hee:

Diamondjimi
09-13-2010, 05:14 PM
Read this story today.
A tribute tour would be more appropriate. Just like David Lee Roth is Van Halen, Kevin Dubrow is Quiet Riot...

FORD
09-13-2010, 05:30 PM
What's next? Will Vinny Appice hire some unknown bass player & guitarist, get a singer from a Culture Club tribute band and go on tour as "Heaven & Hell", playing Dio songs?

chefcraig
09-13-2010, 05:32 PM
What's next? Will Vinny Appice hire some unknown bass player & guitarist, get a singer from a Culture Club tribute band and go on tour as "Heaven & Hell", playing Dio songs?

Why not? Some bozos tried essentially the same thing with a Deep Purple-like band several years ago. Fortunately, they were pelted from stages and nailed with lawsuits as well.

FORD
09-13-2010, 05:37 PM
Ironically enough, some of the various psuedo-Purple lineups that either Blackmore or Gillan have led over the years really weren't much better than that fiasco. They did have one original member (Rod Evans) at least, which is more than this incarnation of "Quiet Riot" has.

Diamondjimi
09-13-2010, 05:39 PM
Why not? Some bozos tried essentially the same thing with a Deep Purple-like band several years ago. Fortunately, they were pelted from stages and nailed with lawsuits as well.

Are you referring to Rod Evan's lame attempt at calling his band Deep Purple during one of DP's off years?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yYuLwQMB7h4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0 xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yYuLwQMB7h4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0 xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

chefcraig
09-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Are you referring to Rod Evan's lame attempt at calling his band Deep Purple during one of DP's off years?

Yeah, that's the one Dj. There used to be quite an amount of documentation about this disaster, but oddly enough when I went to check some old links on the subject, the material had been removed. There are a few that remain, but they really are not of any professional quality and are crummy to look at, let alone even read.

Diamondjimi
09-13-2010, 05:53 PM
Yeah, that's the one Dj. There used to be quite an amount of documentation about this disaster, but oddly enough when I went to check some old links on the subject, the material had been removed. There are a few that remain, but they really are not of any professional quality and are crummy to look at, let alone even read.

Poor fucker spent years in the shadow of Purple. Captian Beyond was modeled after DP. But he had a good voice and should've avoided trying to copy them and found his own "thing"...

FORD
09-13-2010, 08:35 PM
So maybe the question should be... can this fake "Quiet Riot" possibly be more of an embarrassment than THIS Whitesnake/AeroShit wannabe cheesefest?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH8ClUbfl_Y

Wonder why they didn't ask this tool back as their "singer"?

conmee
09-13-2010, 08:51 PM
Kevin was cool, he had a place in Vegas, ran into him a few times in Sin City - once you hit 50, gotta go easy on the nose candy. This is ridiculous... yes if Cavazo and Rudy joined maybe you could have some sort of legitimacy to the name... but this is basically a cover band. Just not sure what the use is... probably be better received as a "tribute" band instead of trying to pass off as a "reunited" band.

That is all.

Icon

Seshmeister
09-13-2010, 09:02 PM
I just don't get it to be honest.

To me QR are just a little footnote in the history of music, a name you see when reading about someone else as being in the general vicinity of talent.

The nicest thing you could say about them is that they were a feeder band that people with any ability left as soon as they could.

A band whose most famous song is a cover of a joke 70s glam band who already had a hit with it?

Gimme a break...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ddbKqGi52Qc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ddbKqGi52Qc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

conmee
09-13-2010, 09:38 PM
No Seshnostic!!!!

YOU sir are a FOOTNOTE and a JOKE!!!! How dare you!!!?!??! It's one thing to deny God, but to deny KEVIN DUBROW?!?!?!? FUCKETH OFFETH!!!!

Metal Health was a #1 record 6X Platinum which is more than any record Sammy Hagar ever sold...

I hate you Seshnostic... hit me up later on IM...

That is all.

Icon©™®

Terry
09-13-2010, 09:46 PM
Jesus...

I guess Banali needs the work...I dunno...I mean, I can't honestly say even if DuBrow were still alive and Sarzo and Cavazo signed on it would have enticed me to go see them...they had their moment of glory in the latter half of 1983, but even in the late 1990s when the Metal Health-era lineup reformed, they were barely able to fill clubs of 500-1,000 people and this was with all the participants of the definitive/most commerically successful era of the band involved.

I can't imagine masses of people getting psyched up for this new incarnation, because as already stated DuBrow WAS Quiet Riot.

Banali might have good intentions, but this has all the trappings of being something cringeworthy.

Maybe they can share a double bill with Lynyrd Skynyrd.

FORD
09-13-2010, 10:03 PM
I'll say this much for DuBrow.... he was actually willing to talk to his fans. He had his own thread at the Randy Rhoads board, (http://www.nobitching.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=353&sid=e66ee7bc620539d0d6a20504f8f15c0e) where he actually showed more patience with some of the more ridiculous questions from the fans, like "what was Randy's imagination like" or shit like that. Even though Kevin has been gone for almost three years, they kept the thread intact.

Diamondjimi
09-13-2010, 10:11 PM
So maybe the question should be... can this fake "Quiet Riot" possibly be more of an embarrassment than THIS Whitesnake/AeroShit wannabe cheesefest?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH8ClUbfl_Y

Wonder why they didn't ask this tool back as their "singer"?

Holy fuck, FORD. That was fuckin horrible!

A day late and a dollar short on the Whitesnake formula/bandwagon...

The drumming was the only decent thing about it. being the fact that drummers don't "write" songs...
(unless of course your name is Dave Grohl) ;)

Unchainme
09-13-2010, 10:23 PM
In terms of quiet riot's actual influence, I feel it's a tad bit underrated.

I believe bands like Kiss, Van Halen and Quiet Riot were able to bring Heavy Metal moreso to a mainstream audience. I rate Van Halen of course as a better overall band than the other two ;).

jhale667
09-13-2010, 10:55 PM
Quiet Riot's influence can't be overlooked...they were the first "Metal" band to have a Top 5 album and single simultaneously, and opened the doors for Motley and really everyone else that followed them at a time when VH were trying to distance themselves from the "Metal" tag....

jhale667
09-13-2010, 11:02 PM
I'll say this much for DuBrow.... he was actually willing to talk to his fans. He had his own thread at the Randy Rhoads board, (http://www.nobitching.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=353&sid=e66ee7bc620539d0d6a20504f8f15c0e) where he actually showed more patience with some of the more ridiculous questions from the fans, like "what was Randy's imagination like" or shit like that. Even though Kevin has been gone for almost three years, they kept the thread intact.

He admitted he said a few things in the 80s he knew he'd "never live down", but his love for Randy can't be denied. He refused to be a part of the upcoming Peter Margolis Rhoads documentary because he thought a few people (usual suspects) were pushing their own agendas over honoring Randy's legacy.

I loved his standard answer for the trolls that disputed him, though - "I was there - you weren't."

Anonymous
09-13-2010, 11:07 PM

You're nauseating me, Chef. Stop that shit immediately.

I checked out a bit of "Cum on Feel the Noize" on the site here in the office...close approximation, but it just sounds... odd to hear someone other than Kevin singing those songs (and it NOT being a cover band). But Frankie, Chuck and Alex are all friends of mine, so I wish them well...

Well, Noddy Holder sang it first, as Sesh pointed out.

I just don't get it to be honest.

To me QR are just a little footnote in the history of music, a name you see when reading about someone else as being in the general vicinity of talent.

The nicest thing you could say about them is that they were a feeder band that people with any ability left as soon as they could.

A band whose most famous song is a cover of a joke 70s glam band who already had a hit with it?

Gimme a break...

Hey, hey, hey! Quiet Riot was a good, fun band.

That's what hard rock/hair metal is all about. Fun. IF there's real talent in the band, that's a bonus. Not essential. A bonus.

It's FUN music, not erudite stuff like Bach or Virgin Steele.

Cheers! :bottle:

conmee
09-14-2010, 12:37 AM
Brethren and Sistren,

I told that agnostic cunt Seshnostic to not show his face in this thread until he steps up and apologizes... I have half a mind to drop the fucking N-Bomb on his non-believing ass!!!

Make peace with the QR©®™ legacy, sesh, it's a moral imperative!

That is all!

Icon©®™

GAR
09-14-2010, 03:02 AM

Hot DIGGITY Damn! Link me.. and I swear I'll be gone for two months spamming the shit outta that board OK!

ah.. its inthe LINK got it..

sadaist
09-14-2010, 04:28 AM
This is fucking ridiculous. How the Hell can it be "Quiet Riot" with NO original members, and only ONE guy who "officially" played on Metal Health?

(In reality, Chuck Wright played more on Metal Health than Rudy Sarzo did, but not "officially")

If Cavazo was back in, at least they could make the case of 2.5 members who played on the band's third album. But this is just a goddamn joke.

Totally agree dude. Only name I recognize is Frankie. Crazy what people can get away with to try & make a buck.

Dave's Bitch
09-14-2010, 04:40 AM
Hot DIGGITY Damn! Link me.. and I swear I'll be gone for two months spamming the shit outta that board OK!

Someone link him quick ;)

Igosplut
09-14-2010, 04:41 AM
So who bought the rights to the band name so they can do this if there are no original members aboard??

Dave's Bitch
09-14-2010, 04:50 AM
Wonder who will support,Perhaps they will march 60 year old Dee Snider out and have a full on hair metal shindig

Seshmeister
09-14-2010, 08:08 AM
Brethren and Sistren,

I told that agnostic cunt Seshnostic to not show his face in this thread until he steps up and apologizes... I have half a mind to drop the fucking N-Bomb on his non-believing ass!!!

Make peace with the QR©®™ legacy, sesh, it's a moral imperative!

That is all!

Icon©®™

Well it's true that a piece of Kevin DuBrow lives on.

http://www.broadwaycostumes.com/images/sales/w-tina-turner-zoom.jpg

ELVIS
09-14-2010, 10:00 AM
Quiet Skynyrd

Dave's Bitch
09-14-2010, 11:56 AM
They should tour with WASP(who could promote babylon some more,that album is awesome)

sonrisa salvaje
09-15-2010, 10:35 AM
I would put Quiet Riot on the B list as to there merits in the genre. Even in Dubrow's final years they were a tremendous live band. Metal Health, regardless of the hits that came off it, was a classic album start to finish. By no means should sales be a measure of merit. Condition Critical went platinum as well but was not a strong effort. You can look at bands like Winger and White Lion and they had both had 2 platinum records each. What hurt QR was the fact that they followed up MH with the lackluster CC and then a terrible effort with QRIII. By the time the reunited, after the one off with the new lead singer, no one gave Terrified a chance but that was a killer record. Down to the Bone followed it up and while it wasn't as strong it was very solid. As usual it is the body of work that came later (that no one gave a chance) that actually vindicates them as a solid band as opposed to their initial success. I would like to know how many people who have posted in this thread have actually heard Terrified and Down to the Bone?

ELVIS
09-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Who cares...

The only guy that mattered in Quiet Riot was DuBrow and he's DEAD...

:elvis:

sonrisa salvaje
09-15-2010, 11:08 AM
I hope you didn't put your banjo down to give us that stunning news.

ELVIS
09-15-2010, 11:10 AM
LMAO!

:biggrin:

ELVIS
09-15-2010, 11:14 AM
They should tour with WASP(who could promote babylon some more,that album is awesome)

This is pretty good but the fake drums are annoying...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/33V6SopSOLM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/33V6SopSOLM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

:elvis:

Mr. Vengeance
09-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Dear Quiet Riot,

I think it's great you've reformed and are recording/touring again. Haters gonna hate!

Sincerely,
Axl W. Rose

78/84 guy
09-16-2010, 06:25 PM
These older rock guy's just can't give it up sometimes !!! I don't blame them. They have too make a living somehow. They use their old band name's too get good paying gigs in clubs. A average fan has no clue until the show that Kevin has been dead 3 years or that Johnny Laine isn't the singer in Warrant anymore !!

FORD
09-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Quiet Skynyrd

Well, at least the fake Skynyrd still has ONE original band member (unless Rossington finally died too)

Guess DuBrow didn't have a little brother with his own failed career to sing for them.

Of course if he did, that brother probably would have sang for the failed band "Hurricane" along with Sarzo & Cavazo's brothers. :biggrin:

sadaist
09-16-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm, glad Cavazo is staying in Ratt and not joining this lame fake QR. He just seems to fit in well with Ratt. It's weird, but he is the first replacement in any band that I actually don't mind.

I was a little surprised Ratt went with him & didn't somehow get Vivian Campbell to join. I think Ratt may be the only band he hasn't been in. Dude is a band killer in my opinion. Vivian is the Ted McGinley of rock.

And I like the WASP song Elvis posted above. Sounds just like 'em. Nice they kept their sound.

Fuck, I'm starting to make Thome-esque posts. I'm all over the map.

ppg960
09-29-2010, 12:23 AM
In terms of quiet riot's actual influence, I feel it's a tad bit underrated.

I believe bands like Kiss, Van Halen and Quiet Riot were able to bring Heavy Metal moreso to a mainstream audience. I rate Van Halen of course as a better overall band than the other two ;).

I agree that QR is very under rated.
Still can't see how this latest rendition can call themselves QR though??
Why not start something new and fresh??