PDA

View Full Version : Bill Maher returns

Va Beach VH Fan
09-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Show returns this Friday....

ELVIS
09-15-2010, 10:48 AM
That dude needs to retire with Larry King...

Seshmeister
09-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Well the way things are going he'll probably be silenced soon enough by the Christian Facists or the Islamo Facists.

In the meantime it's good to see him back. I download the podcast of his show each week and apart from some weird ideas he has about food additives he's good.

He also isn't afraid to invite right wingers on to debate.

ELVIS
09-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Well the way things are going he'll probably be silenced soon enough by the Christian Facists or the Islamo Facists.

And the government will shut down conservative talk so we can all be happy...

In the meantime it's good to see him back. I download the podcast of his show each week and apart from some weird ideas he has about food additives he's good.

He's funny sometimes...

Yeah, with BCE scripted questions...just kidding...

:elvis:

jhale667
09-15-2010, 11:15 AM

No, the country needs more rational voices like his speaking out. People like you could probably use to STFU, however.

BigBadBrian
09-15-2010, 12:05 PM

Be sure to pay attention to his show. Maybe you guys can actually come up an original thought due this clown's inspiration.

Unchainme
09-15-2010, 12:25 PM
I'm not really a fan of Maher.

He just comes off as pompous and arrogant to me, and really not all that funny.

Wish we could put the pre-9/11 Dennis Miller in a time machine and give him back a show, he was actually really funny, had some great guests and actually knew what he was talking about.

I'll stick to Penn and Teller Bullshit.

Seshmeister
09-15-2010, 12:33 PM
I'm a fan of P&T but I don't think they could do this format.

Penn is too fucking out there libertarian wise. In Penn world there would be no state schools no government anything apart from a police force for the few laws he would keep. :)

It sounds ok until you realise it's effectively living in a Mad Max movie.

Unchainme
09-15-2010, 12:41 PM
I'm a fan of P&T but I don't think they could do this format.

Penn is too fucking out there libertarian wise. In Penn world there would be no state schools no government anything apart from a police force for the few laws he would keep. :)

It sounds ok until you realise it's effectively living in a Mad Max movie.

Yeah, hence why they're perfect on a half-hour show.

That said, I would enjoy another sort of balanced libetarian/centrist who could come off as funny and host a show similar to Maher's.

Nitro Express
09-15-2010, 12:48 PM

Agreed. He always seemed like a scumbag to me. Yeah, I was not a fan of George W. Bush and kinda enjoyed his razzing of the chimp but this guy needs to lay into Obama as well. You will never see him do that even when Obama continues the Bush game. So fuck him.

Nitro Express
09-15-2010, 12:51 PM
I'm not really a fan of Maher.

He just comes off as pompous and arrogant to me, and really not all that funny.

Wish we could put the pre-9/11 Dennis Miller in a time machine and give him back a show, he was actually really funny, had some great guests and actually knew what he was talking about.

I'll stick to Penn and Teller Bullshit.

George Carlin was comedian will brains and was funny as hell. Maher is just a host. If he was really funny he would still be out their doing comedy. George did that his whole damn life. Maher can't do it because he sucks.

Unchainme
09-15-2010, 01:09 PM
George Carlin was comedian will brains and was funny as hell. Maher is just a host. If he was really funny he would still be out their doing comedy. George did that his whole damn life. Maher can't do it because he sucks.

Very much so, Carlin was great

Lewis Black is very funny and seems quite knowledgeable as well, and he's rather progressive. But he's not a guy I could see hosting a maher show again.

jhale667
09-15-2010, 01:32 PM

Wrong....where the F have you been? Dude still does standup during the off-season, recently had yet another HBO special...and he's funny. While I've said before he can be a douche in person, I rarely disagree with him on the issues.

ELVIS
09-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Who cares if he's a douche in person, he sucks as a comedian trying to sound like he knows something...

ELVIS
09-15-2010, 01:51 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hYIC0eZYEtI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hYIC0eZYEtI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

:elvis:

Nitro Express
09-15-2010, 01:52 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/acLW1vFO-2Q?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/acLW1vFO-2Q?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

People just barely smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork and dumb enough not to figure out how they are being fucked over. Classic.

Nitro Express
09-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Me and Elvis has the same thought. At least I posted a different show.

ELVIS
09-15-2010, 01:57 PM
:killer:

jhale667
09-15-2010, 02:00 PM
Who cares if he's a douche in person, he sucks as a comedian trying to sound like he knows something...

You just hate him because he uses big words that make you think...surprised you even like Carlin. :hee:

Carlin was a fucking genius, btw...few are in his league, agree Maher's not in it.

Nitro Express
09-15-2010, 02:04 PM
The only difference between Barrack Obama and George W. Bush is Obama has a black cock that is bigger to ass rape you with.

Nitro Express
09-15-2010, 02:06 PM
But George is right, we have been ass fucked for 30 plus years. The CEO pay got higher and the corporations started treating the workers like shit.

jhale667
09-15-2010, 02:10 PM
But George is right, we have been ass fucked for 30 plus years. The CEO pay got higher and the corporations started treating the workers like shit.

Don't forget about all the American jobs that got outsourced...

ELVIS
09-15-2010, 02:21 PM
surprised you even like Carlin. :hee:

That's because you don't know how to pay attention...

jhale667
09-15-2010, 02:31 PM
That's because you don't know how to pay attention...

Wrong, your usual monosyllabic grunt posting style tends to suggest you wouldn't get intellectual humor... :wow2: :baaa:

chefcraig
09-15-2010, 02:33 PM
The only difference between Barrack Obama and George W. Bush is Obama has a black cock that is bigger to ass rape you with.

Is this based upon statistical analysis or do you have something more that you'd care to share with the class?

hambon4lif
09-15-2010, 02:35 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/khUJCkxhdzo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/khUJCkxhdzo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Va Beach VH Fan
09-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Maher was around doing his thing 10 years before Olbermann or Maddow or Matthews or Schultz or anyone else did it on TV. He was the first one to at least provide opposition to right-wing rhetoric, and for that he'll always have my respect....

chefcraig
09-15-2010, 03:05 PM
Maher was around doing his thing 10 years before Olbermann or Maddow or Matthews or Schultz or anyone else did it on TV. He was the first one to at least provide opposition to right-wing rhetoric, and for that he'll always have my respect....

I still miss the Politically Incorrect show when it was on the Comedy Central (or whatever it was called at the time), before it blew up on another channel. It was eclectic and offbeat as hell, and didn't quite seem to be as agenda-prone back then as it later came to be. Then again, I say the same thing about Mystery Science Theater 3000. :duh:

jhale667
09-15-2010, 03:11 PM
I still miss the Politically Incorrect show when it was on the Comedy Central (or whatever it was called at the time), before it blew up on another channel. It was eclectic and offbeat as hell, and didn't quite seem to be as agenda-prone back then as it later came to be. Then again, I say the same thing about Mystery Science Theater 3000. :duh:

It was on ABC, IIRC - and he got fired after 9/11 for saying people who'd hijack a plane or strap a bomb to themselves (taking themselves out with their intended victims) aren't necessarily complete cowards. I tend to agree - think WWII - we didn't think of Kamikaze pilots as cowards, they were rightfully considered INSANE...

jhale667
09-15-2010, 03:14 PM
To add to that - if you wanna talk recent cinema - the dudes in Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds pulled the ol' suicide-bomber bit at the end (dynamite strapped to their ankles) and people cheered...but then, they were killing Nazis...

chefcraig
09-15-2010, 03:29 PM
It was on ABC, IIRC - and he got fired after 9/11 for saying people who'd hijack a plane or strap a bomb to themselves (taking themselves out with their intended victims) aren't necessarily complete cowards. I tend to agree - think WWII - we didn't think of Kamikaze pilots as cowards, they were rightfully considered INSANE...

Yeah, he did about a year at Comedy whatever, then jumped ship to ABC for much more money than a scrawny network that ran reruns of Live At The Improv could afford. And that is when the scrutiny came in, making him have to come up with "the big statement" every evening. The guests stopped being interesting people from all walks of life, and started being political pundits of one sort or another. Everything became "serious" all of a sudden, and not surprisingly, less insightfully entertaining.

Seshmeister
09-15-2010, 03:50 PM

Of course they weren't cowards. It's just the nonsense of the media. People who get trapped down a mine are called heroes and sick idiotic fucks get called cowards whether they are or not.

Nickdfresh
09-15-2010, 10:54 PM
Be sure to pay attention to his show. Maybe you guys can actually come up an original thought due this clown's inspiration.

You first! Oh master of the right wing jerkoff cliches and ad hominem trolling....

Nitro Express
09-16-2010, 01:11 AM
But I never cared for Bill Maher and Politically Incorrect because of the lousy choice of guests that come on that show.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3dBeyoLiL8I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3dBeyoLiL8I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Nitro Express
09-16-2010, 01:30 AM
Is this based upon statistical analysis or do you have something more that you'd care to share with the class?

Everyone knows the black dude has a bigger schlong.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3dBeyoLiL8I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3dBeyoLiL8I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Nitro Express
09-16-2010, 01:32 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PBVigPKzFtk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PBVigPKzFtk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

lesfunk
09-16-2010, 03:31 AM
It's not that I disagree with everything Maher says. I just can't stand the arrogant smugness he says it with. I want to kick his ass. That and he's just not a good comedian. He comes off like a prick

Nitro Express
09-16-2010, 03:52 AM
It's not that I disagree with everything Maher says. I just can't stand the arrogant smugness he says it with. I want to kick his ass. That and he's just not a good comedian. He comes off like a prick

He always seemed like an annoying lepricon to me. I'm tired of all these stupid political comedians. The financial and political problems right now are at such a scale we need to grow up and get to work as individuals doing something about it instead of munching junk food and watching these fools.

Va Beach VH Fan
09-16-2010, 08:30 AM

LOL, "arrogant smugness".... Hmmm, there's another group of people that this applies to, but can't put my finger on it.... ;)

Seshmeister
09-16-2010, 09:09 AM
Car park attendants?

jhale667
09-16-2010, 03:21 PM
LOL, "arrogant smugness".... Hmmm, there's another group of people that this applies to, but can't put my finger on it.... ;)

Library squatters? :lmao: