PDA

View Full Version : Mustaine / Ozzy books

Va Beach VH Fan
09-15-2010, 10:52 AM
Could've sworn we had an Ozzy book thread, can't find the bastard....

Anyone read either of the Mustaine and/or Ozzy books ??

Might be doing some traveling soon, need some interesting reading material....

Probably gonna grab Vince Neil's book off Ebay soon as well....

chefcraig
09-15-2010, 11:24 AM
You'll find the thread HERE (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?57812-I-am-ozzy&highlight=I+am+ozzy). This is a review I wrote for this and another site when the Ozzy book hit the shelves a little over a year ago. I wasn't too thrilled with the book, to say the least.

Just finished the I Am OZZY autobiography by Ozzy Osbourne and Chris Ayres. Put it this way, the word underwhelming doesn't quite suffice. In fact, it is about the first time in my life that I've read a book and come away actually feeling dumber about the subject it covers. There are a few simple reasons for this. For one, having Ozzy himself as the narrator really handicaps things. Yes, the guy has a way with a one liner here and there, but since he was completely wasted for roughly 95 % of the story covered, there is very little depth to his reminiscence. Instead, he offers vaguely humorous tales with little (if any) insight as to what caused them, going on in a detached manner even while discussing the most tragic or disturbing events.

You learn nothing about how his music was created, what it was like to tour the world to huge audiences or even what effect these things had on him. Incredibly, the man seems to have gone through life and not learned a thing; there is no sense of redemption because he never recognized anything was wrong in the first place. With the exception of the guys in Black Sabbath, his wife and guitarist Randy Rhoads, the only member of Osbournes' career that seems to have had any lasting impact was a fellow named Bob Daisley, and that is only mentioned because the fellow sued Ozzy a few times. Even this detail (the source of much rancor and dispute over the years, leading to Daisley and fellow musician Lee Kerslake's recorded contributions to Osbournes' catalogue being scandalously erased) is glossed over with a few casual dismissals.

All in all, the book stands as a missed opportunity. There is much to be gleaned from the saga of a guy that defied the slings and arrows of fortune (no matter how self inflicted) to become a musical icon. Sadly, given the subject, it's unlikely Ozzy is capable of producing much more in the way of memories, let alone depth. If you must read it, then by all means save your money for the paperback, or merely wait for the feature film that is in the works, based upon this book.

TCR (http://www.talkclassicrock.com/)

atomicpunk5151
09-15-2010, 01:43 PM
I read the Mustaine book. Thought it was pretty good. Quite a few funny qoutes and you can read it pretty quick. Lots on the Metallica years as well as the start up and progression of Megadeth. Plenty of rehab stories as well.

Made NY Times best seller at #15.

I posted a few links to read parts of it online in the Megadeth Thread: http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?58178-Megadeth-Dave-Mustaine-2010-Thread/page3

sonrisa salvaje
09-15-2010, 02:55 PM
I want to read Mustaine's book - waiting to get it from the library.
:

Wow. A chick with a library card. That is kind of hot. You know there is probably a book store up in Mount Pilot if you want to just drive up and buy one. :biggrin:

chefcraig
09-15-2010, 03:49 PM
I don't know about that. There seems to be a lot of jokes about and derision toward people who hang out in libraries. :(

Stopping by the library to pick up some books in order to be well read is attractive. On the other hand, people that virtually live there so as to access a computer in order to spew drool that most people have no interest in reading, are not. :baaa:

sonrisa salvaje
09-15-2010, 04:33 PM
Stopping by the library to pick up some books in order to be well read is attractive. On the other hand, people that virtually live there so as to access a computer in order to spew drool that most people have no interest in reading, are not. :baaa:

Yep. That sums it up very well.

Va Beach VH Fan
09-28-2010, 09:17 AM
Picked up a cheaper copy of Vince's book off Ebay, came in the mail today.... Gonna save it for my Left Coast trip in a couple weeks....

binnie
09-28-2010, 10:46 AM
I don't know about that. There seems to be a lot of jokes about and derision toward people who hang out in libraries. :(

Pretty much spend every day of my working life in a library - A day with a book is a day well spent....