PDA

View Full Version : Space Brother Riffs using a Destroyer

paulscape
09-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Home made Destroyer (Seymour Duncan distortion pickups): http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_5318246
Cheap Ibanez S Series: http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_5301473

Chain is: guitar - MXR flanger - Phase90 - 50w plexi 1987x amp -Boss RE20 in loop. Master set at apartment levels around 0.5, everything on the front face at 10, treble channel and using greenbacks. I used 2 shure 57's into a roland VS2000 and added reverb otherwise its raw. :vh

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh192/paulscape/VH1.jpg

VanHalenFan5150
09-22-2010, 07:37 PM
Holy shit! I love your tone, it's got to be probably one of the closest things i've heard to actually hearing Ed... if that makes sense

jhale667
09-22-2010, 09:19 PM
Cool tone! :baaa:

GAR
09-22-2010, 11:36 PM
I highly approve.. wish a few more highs in there but that deep meaty bass tone has it and that's the hardest part!

VanHalenFan5150
09-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Wouldn't be a thread with Gar posting about how he highly approves but has something to bitch about. Oh well. :hee:

Diamondjimi
09-23-2010, 11:46 AM
Cool tone! :baaa:

Yup. Would be even better and bigger with Recabinet... (jus' sayin) ;)

GAR
09-23-2010, 11:51 AM
Wouldn't be a thread with Gar posting about how he highly approves but has something to bitch about. Oh well. :hee:

Not bitching - we don't know yet what mic he's used, or did he trim his treble frequencies? I have a problem with half of you unqualifieds posting timewasting drivel that shows how vastly difficult it is for some people to grasp the concept of recording. Some of you have very different ideas about how to implement a recording, and I'm not saying this fella has done poorly at all.

And enough with Recabinet, it doesn't work.

Diamondjimi
09-23-2010, 12:20 PM

Says the FUCKING MORON who posts from a library!!! :Loser: :shiznit:

Diamondjimi
09-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Oops wrong fucking button!!! :pullinghair:

Fuck you GARfail!!! :fu:

Nitro Express
09-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Yeah it's chugging along nicely. Nice bottom end, nice flanging, and nice highs. Sounds great!

Nitro Express
09-23-2010, 12:35 PM
You are right Gar. These fools just don't know what they are doing. I mean what kind of fool would use a Shure microphone. They are old and outdated. Especially for recording guitars.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ptDRJ6Vyelg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ptDRJ6Vyelg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Diamondjimi
09-23-2010, 04:08 PM
I used 2 shure 57's into a roland VS2000 and added reverb otherwise its raw.

Not bitching - we don't know yet what mic he's used, or did he trim his treble frequencies? I have a problem with half of you unqualifieds posting timewasting drivel that shows how vastly difficult it is for some people to grasp the concept of recording.

PAY ATTENTION you FUCKING SIMP!!!

And yes he got it right with the 57's... :baaa:

ThrillsNSpills
09-23-2010, 04:39 PM
only thing bor plays is a flute with one hole in it

jhale667
09-23-2010, 06:21 PM
only thing bor plays is a flute with one hole in it

The proverbial skin-flute virtuoso.

STFU GARfail!!!

GAR
09-24-2010, 12:15 AM
You tards think all 57s are alike.

Diamondjimi
09-24-2010, 12:55 AM
You tards think all 57s are alike.

Fuck off, Bloodfart...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Federaljim/Assorted%20gifs/HorseKick.gif

paulscape
09-24-2010, 09:52 PM
There's 2 shure 57's!!! No EQ, just some reverb added. I could probably drop the bass a little on the amp. Ive added some other clips using some lower output PAF guitars...the volume of the amp and the studio input gain is slightly lower on the PAF clip and it sort of shows how the satudio can influence the Ed tone. VH1 sounds like it has a bit of overloading on the old Putnam desk. Cheers
PAF guitars: Ibanez Jem77 dimarzio paf pro, Gibson SG with classic '57's, Gibson Les Paul with Seth Lovers. 'Unchained' marks the start of each guitar.
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_5328432

VanHalenFan5150
09-24-2010, 09:56 PM
I saw your links to the tone demos. Incredible, you sound exactly like Edward himself. I put the stuff on my iPod, it fools my friends every time :hee:

GAR
09-25-2010, 04:17 AM
PAF guitars: Ibanez Jem77 dimarzio paf pro, Gibson SG with classic '57's, Gibson Les Paul with Seth Lovers. 'Unchained' marks the start of each guitar.
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_5328432
Gibson 57's not bad.. I haven't fooled around with my pickups in a long time. But I do like the Antiquity Seth Lover, that's about as close to an original as I've found.

I have one 7.4K and a 7.6K. Ordering option you can get em with the 4-conductor wire or standard braided leads, I got em braided then decided to try split-coiling by pulling out the lead and running another wire in the middle to tap off.. I don't find the tapped option sonically pleasing.

I had a DiMarzio broken pickup out once and tried swapping the screws-side by using hot-melt glue gun.. that way it sounded great in split-coil single coil mode, but too strong in series with the stock Duncan.

So I dewound the slugs-side coil then to balance out the added inductance the DiMarzio provided and that made things even better, I think it initially measured 3.6K before peeling it down to about 2.7 ~ 2.9K if I recall correctly. It was still a touch strong so I peeled the DiMarzio down too, to about 5.0K and stopped there because it started looking a bit thin.. but that seemed to do the trick in raising the high peak up again.

So then I mated the DiMarzio again to it's original plate and bobbin, and voila! THAT thing's highs kinda popped up too!

I looked around for some donor-coil wire, and those shit Matsushita/Gotohs that came stock in Kramers (MMK inked on bottom plate) I took one of those apart and patched that into the screws-side bobbin and added to it until that thing came up to around 5.5 or 6 I cunt remember exactly. Wasn't over 6 though. I just retaped the lead with scotch tape, reused the black wax tape on there with a dab of crazy glue and used a hair dryer to remelt all the wax on the tape to bond it but never repotted it.

That's my favorite PAF style pickup, I got that one in my Musicman.

paulscape
09-25-2010, 05:01 AM
Gibson 57's not bad.. I haven't fooled around with my pickups in a long time. But I do like the Antiquity Seth Lover, that's about as close to an original as I've found.

I have one 7.4K and a 7.6K. Ordering option you can get em with the 4-conductor wire or standard braided leads, I got em braided then decided to try split-coiling by pulling out the lead and running another wire in the middle to tap off.. I don't find the tapped option sonically pleasing.

I had a DiMarzio broken pickup out once and tried swapping the screws-side by using hot-melt glue gun.. that way it sounded great in split-coil single coil mode, but too strong in series with the stock Duncan.

So I dewound the slugs-side coil then to balance out the added inductance the DiMarzio provided and that made things even better, I think it initially measured 3.6K before peeling it down to about 2.7 ~ 2.9K if I recall correctly. It was still a touch strong so I peeled the DiMarzio down too, to about 5.0K and stopped there because it started looking a bit thin.. but that seemed to do the trick in raising the high peak up again.

So then I mated the DiMarzio again to it's original plate and bobbin, and voila! THAT thing's highs kinda popped up too!

I looked around for some donor-coil wire, and those shit Matsushita/Gotohs that came stock in Kramers (MMK inked on bottom plate) I took one of those apart and patched that into the screws-side bobbin and added to it until that thing came up to around 5.5 or 6 I cunt remember exactly. Wasn't over 6 though. I just retaped the lead with scotch tape, reused the black wax tape on there with a dab of crazy glue and used a hair dryer to remelt all the wax on the tape to bond it but never repotted it.

That's my favorite PAF style pickup, I got that one in my Musicman.
Ive never done anything like that...maybe I could re-wind a few old pickups I have lying around (I have a spare screaming demon and custom custom). The Seth Lovers are great and also the '57 classics...except when I play high up on an SG it unmistakingly sounds like ACDC not VH! What's also interesting is how the flanger works with each guitar. With the Jem77 and dimarzio PAF pro I can hardly hear the flanger swoosh, but its more pronounced with all the other guitars and pickups??? If nothing else doing these clips have given me a good benchmark for how each pickup/guitar sounds recorded. BTW the Les Paul is a cheap chinese fake. It hardly sounds (and plays) any different to a real Gibson.

GAR
09-25-2010, 05:43 AM
I think the higher-peaked pickups work best with phaser/flangers.. strat, P90, gibson deluxe/firebird, and the less-hot paf's.

While I used to enjoy the distortion-class pickups and the really hot winds with solid-state amps (dimarzio x2n, duncan distortion/full shred/customcustom) the tube amps work quite differently.

Of course, those dimarzios with them big honkin' blocks of ceramic magnets below will really mud everything up with those effects, but EVH shows how sometimes you WANT a super distortion on some things especially with alot of higher-pitched noise going on in the background. Cuts with the drummer doing tons of cymbal-catching or your boiling vocal screams maybe you want to help that out in the mix by killing off your highs with super distortion or high-output pickups.

Diamondjimi
09-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Note to paulscape: Ignore GAR and consult with jhale instead, Your answers won't be pulled from Google or Wikipedia or from an imaginary place GAR calls his "brain". ;)

jhale667
09-26-2010, 11:46 AM
No shit...find me an article/interview where EVH has done anything but diss high-output pickups...specifically the Super Distortion...ripped on them.
While it's true his pickups' output levels have crept up over the years to where they're NOW considered "hot" (like the EVH pickup, or the Frankenpickup), but the classic tone was all about low-output pickups and amp distortion.

jhale667
09-26-2010, 11:54 AM
And another thing Garfail:

WRONG. DJ and I have both proven it does, so you're done there. The only thing you've proven is that you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground under the 405...so STFU. :dafinger:

Diamondjimi
09-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Poor GARfail,... wrong AGAIN !

http://207.199.174.56/img/Lincoln-pwned.jpg

VanHalenFan5150
09-26-2010, 07:58 PM
The dude gets owned by me. And i'm not even 16 yet. I think that's a fail right there.

kwame k
09-26-2010, 08:09 PM
The dude gets owned by me. And i'm not even 16 yet. I think that's a fail right there.

Nah............if you were younger and dumber, maybe:biggrin:

VanHalenFan5150
09-26-2010, 09:09 PM
Eh, I guess you're right :hee:

GAR
09-27-2010, 12:48 PM
And another thing Garfail:

WRONG. DJ and I have both proven it does, so you're done there.

We're not done without including http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1000098&content=songinfo&songID=8348585

Here's one of Jay's sound pages.

jhale667
09-27-2010, 01:43 PM
So...decided to prove the point for us, I see? Or just to own yourself? :lmao:

That helps your claim (and/or disproves ours) HOW exactly? :lol:

And before you start with your next lie, don't go claiming I was trying to sound like VH there, because I wasn't...:hee:

GAR
09-27-2010, 03:53 PM
I googled "jay hale soundclick" and couldn't find anything. Then I googled search terms "LOLZ jay's sucky laptop tonez" and bingo - found the page again..

Point is, you need to shut the fuck up and just try some new ideas because what you're using isn't getting you anywhere..

I like the Recabinet idea, but you two just go way on n' on about it.. it's not superior to a podXT which for most users is simpler and yields better results.

jhale667
09-27-2010, 04:04 PM
Is that how like when you Google "Short, fat, balding Clay Aiken wannabe no gear having library-posting POS" your info comes up? Douche.

Your opinion is like your ass, GAyR...you can't give it away (not even under the 405 in exchange for crack rocks) - no one is interested. :Loser:

Yeah, and not doing my stuff on a laptop... yet another GARfail....

Post one of your own clips...OH THAT'S RIGHT YOU CAN'T.... :lol:

jhale667
09-27-2010, 06:01 PM
BTW, PODfarm has all the same emulations as the XT, dumbass. And defeating the cabinet emulation... is as simple as clicking "off". DUH. :duh:

Point is...you owned yourself. AGAIN.

http://www.failpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/boxing-fail.gif

Diamondjimi
09-27-2010, 07:58 PM
We're not done without including http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1000098&content=songinfo&songID=8348585

Here's one of Jay's sound pages.

I googled "jay hale soundclick" and couldn't find anything. Then I googled search terms "LOLZ jay's sucky laptop tonez" and bingo - found the page again..

Point is, you need to shut the fuck up and just try some new ideas because what you're using isn't getting you anywhere..

I like the Recabinet idea, but you two just go way on n' on about it.. it's not superior to a podXT which for most users is simpler and yields better results.

http://fast1.onesite.com/fans.wwe.com/user/fronk180/yoda_fail.jpg

GAR
10-01-2010, 03:03 AM
BTW, PODfarm has all the same emulations as the XT

I'd rather have analogue signal realtime than software post-time patch-in. No hard-disk access latency, knob.

Farmville Plugins aren't done in real-time.

GAR
10-01-2010, 03:07 AM
btw have you changed out those shit 2712 cones and baked output tubes yet in that obsolete rig of yours?

I don't see why you can't lay your cab face-down on the carpet and throw your fartstained futon over it to record: you don't have a chick to complain about using the bed like that.

If I was single that's what I'd do.

Diamondjimi
10-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Who the fuck are ya talk to, Shitheel?

jhale667
10-02-2010, 03:38 AM
I'd rather have analogue signal realtime than software post-time patch-in. No hard-disk access latency, knob.

Farmville Plugins aren't done in real-time.

Google "zero-latency settings". And to break it down, A ) LMAO @ "obsolete rig" and B ) Since FedEx managed to mangle my power tubes on the way back from the July gig, yeah, they've been changed. Remember, still have a quartet of vintage RCA 6L6s, and a couple of pairs of matched EL34s too. I'm good. Will re-tube it again when I resume (cover)gigging, or whatever...:fufu:

Again, why do I need to change speakers (or mic it) for recording (at home), tool? Especially when I can emulate better/different speakers/cabs with emulations of two mics I don't even own(why the hell would I have a kick drum mic again)? I mean, BECAUSE IT IS, it's reacting like my real amp, I can hear/feel it in the room (because I'm using the cab, not a load-box) in real time...so... your point was?

Diamondjimi
10-02-2010, 01:15 PM
Once again, another concept he fails to grasp. Latency!

GARy, try Googling ZERO LATENCY .

Done?

Good boy, now you've just learned your first step in digital recording...

Since library computers are shite I'm gonna assume you will be experiencing severe latency issues ( never mind the unauthorized "stolen" software you will be using).

So I would recommend you stick with your boombox or your late '80s built 4 track with Radio Shack mic.s

GAR
10-03-2010, 02:12 AM
Whatever's working on that soundpage, isn't working for me.

That's all that matters. I hear nothing big, meaty, delicious.. where's the licks?

Wheedly-diddly-bwrowsh.. swoopswoop don't do it for me. I'm not getting a PodFART if that's what it means going direct.. I got better from cassette decades ago.

jhale667
10-03-2010, 02:53 AM
Whatever's working on that soundpage, isn't working for me.

That's nice.

http://smaskerfall09.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/633492346461806528-no-one-cares.jpg

Diamondjimi
10-03-2010, 08:33 PM
:lmao: