PDA

View Full Version : Bands that need to hang it up..

Unchainme
09-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Was curious what you guys felt were some bands that have gone way past their prime and continue pumping out complete shit. Pretty simple concept here.

Aerosmith

I'm going to divide this into three parts for my 2nd favorite band behind Van Halen.

In their prime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXZc9E7UoOA&feature=related

I'm going to say from their self titled debut to "Night in the Ruts" were when they were amazing and probably one of the Hard Rock bands EVER during this time period. "Rocks" is criminally underrated in terms of being a hard rock record. Slash and James Hetfield have stated in the past that this was their favorite record, and hell, even Kurt Cobain stated that it was one of his favorites. They were to me the epitome of a great 70's rock band, and to me the best band of that decade. Right there in step with the bluesy/hard rock sound of Zeppelin and the stones. If you have a kid and wanted to get him or her into rock music, pick him up "Van Halen I" and "Toys in the attic".

Past their prime

http://www.youtube.com/watchv=h3Yrhv33Zb8&p=A32DA3BB6C579F18&playnext=1&index=33
Of all weird things for my hometown to lay claim to is that, not only are we the birthplace of rock n' roll music hitting the airwaves, we are the place where Joe Perry quit the band! Done during a "World Series of Rock" at old Cleveland Municipal Stadium, the fight literally escalated into that over Spilled Milk, and a lot of drugs. (Thankfully an even greater hard rock group stepped into the fold..and I think you guys all know who that is ;)). Following this there was a lackluster effort in the form of "Rock in a Hard Place" minus Perry and whitford, and another botched new record in "Done with Mirrors". Really it took a tandem work with Run-DMC covering their most well-know song from their prime to hoist them back to making passable music. "Permanent Vacation", "PUMP" and "Get a Grip", while not even close to where they were in the 70's, were actually a fun listen and it's actually those songs that not only introduced me to Aerosmith but Rock N'Roll Music in general in the form of a compilation record I had bought when I was 12 called "Big Ones". The appearances in Waynes World (both the skit and movie) were okay with me, they knew whom their target audience was, and the videos? again, were fun, Alicia Silverstone was in top form there. Even the shitty video game wasn't all bad...but it was following those things that Aerosmith really turned to Aeroshit

"Hang it up guys"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzHb6Z4w1ic

I'm going to say, "Nine Lives" was hit or miss, and really didn't make an impact, but when Aerosmith really took a hit was following the release of "I don't want to miss a thing" in that complete turd of a movie "Armegeddon"..it was right then that Aerosmith morphed from being a Hard Rock band to catering and whoring themselves out to the TRL generation. (BTW that was just an overall shit experience for me, because not only was that officially the death of my favorite band, but the fucking baltimore ravens...a team that was supposed to be MINE won a super bowl, suck in hell art modell).

Which brings me to closing my statement. Steven Tyler this upcoming year go from being the epitome of "Sex, drugs, and Rock N' Roll", to fucking wholesome family fun by being the judge of American Idol, a show that in my generation is perhaps the most corporate pop-shit I have ever seen and a festering boil on the ass of humanity.

All I'm asking is this...Hang it up NOW and release some of the concerts you recorded in the 70's on DVD and quietly relax in your mansions. Can you make the one off appearance on a little mini-tour or on someone else album? Sure, I'd be down with that, but just quit embarrassing yourself. You're a great rock band and you're legacy deserves better.

FORD
09-22-2010, 11:41 PM
Lynyrd Skynyrd. The last guy who had any legitimate claim to the name just died. And he wasn't even in the fucking band. Hang it up Johnny. Quit leeching off your brother's corpse.

FORD
09-22-2010, 11:46 PM
And Quiet Riot, please?

Original singer and guitarist DEAD.

NO original members in the band. Only one guy in the band who played on their best selling album, and that's the drummer?

And a new singer who came from a Van Hagar tribute band? Spare me.

FORD
09-22-2010, 11:48 PM
Which brings me to "Yes", "Boston", "Journey" and any other pathetic shell of a former band who hired a sound-alike singer off of YouTube, Facebook, or MySpace.

You SUCK. You're over. Let it go. Especially YOU, Tom Scholz. Calling your band "Boston" without Brad Delp was lame enough when you did it the first time. It's fucking inexcusable now.

FORD
09-22-2010, 11:50 PM
And let's not forget "Styx", "Foreigner", "Reo Speedwagon" and all the other false bands out there who wouldn't have 5 original band members on stage even when they all tour together.

Unchainme
09-23-2010, 12:07 AM
And let's not forget "Styx", "Foreigner", "Reo Speedwagon" and all the other false bands out there who wouldn't have 5 original band members on stage even when they all tour together.

when you've reached that level of being a band, just call it a tribute band, because really at that point that's all it is.

I think Van Halen is a bit of an exception to this. This is as close as we're going to get and I'm not going to bitch about it. It sucks MA is not in the band, but I enjoyed seeing EVH and DLR on stage together singing their hits. I think they have one more tour (do the world, I'm sure people in europe are dying to hear some cvh!) in them (in support of their new album), then they should hang it up. Release what's in the vaults and call it a night, let Wolfie sit on his nest egg and form his own group (own original group mind you..don't do covers)

hambon4lif
09-23-2010, 12:45 AM
Following this there was a lackluster effort in the form of "Rock in a Hard Place" minus Perry and whitford,I must be part of the minority, but I think "Rock In A Place" is a decent album. (Lightning Strikes, Jailbait, Bitches Brew).

It beats the shit out of the commercial shlock they've put out with Geffen.

GreenBayLA
09-23-2010, 01:45 AM
Last great rock record from Aerosmith...
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqc2hylqP35VHZpmOVcIOI8XdaIb62X fFz1mrrZB4uWRqqNi8&t=1&usg=__AdU3m1UKkmjHlo8S-lyys72cpr4=

Some of the Aero guys rely on touring to make $ as their songwriting got edged out decades ago. Same time their comeback peaked. They were my favorite band for years but I'm not really interested in seeing them live anymore. This was the setlist at Boston show on last tour. Too many power ballads...
Train Kept a Rollin'
Love In An Elevator
Fallin’ In Love
Livin’ On The Edge
What It Takes
Pink-c
Last Child
Cryin’
Drum Solo
Rag Doll
Guitar Hero Joe
Stop Messin’ Around (w/Tony & Adrian Perry)
I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing
Come Together
Sweet Emotion
Jaded (Did not play)
Baby Please Don’t Go
Draw The Line
Encore:
Dream On (Steven played Dream On at a white baby grand piano, atop the Green Monster!)
Walk This Way

Still I'd be interested if they did cut a new CD, unlikely now that Brand Tyler is on American Idol :barf:

Diamondjimi
09-23-2010, 03:36 AM
And of course Chaim Witz is too greedy to call it a day...

Pack it up SCABS!

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/replicate/EXID49712/images/Kiss_hottest_tour_2010.jpg

Diamondjimi
09-23-2010, 03:41 AM
KI$$ 1975 = Cool

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rC4qmoqNULI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rC4qmoqNULI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Ki$$ 2010 = Not Cool...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aZuddHJuTPY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aZuddHJuTPY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

binnie
09-23-2010, 03:58 AM
I would completely agree with Kiss and Aerosmith.

More bands should think like The Scorpions - realize that time only yields diminishing marginal returns....

Dave's Bitch
09-23-2010, 04:14 AM
And Quiet Riot, please?

Original singer and guitarist DEAD.

NO original members in the band. Only one guy in the band who played on their best selling album, and that's the drummer?

And a new singer who came from a Van Hagar tribute band? Spare me.

just to reiterate that point

Saw Kiss on the last two tours however, and they still sound awesome.They should hang it up after they done a 40 year anniversary world tour

Mr Badguy
09-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Thin Lizzy.

That latest exhumation of the name with Ricky Warwick and Vivian Campbell makes me wanna retch.

chefcraig
09-23-2010, 09:07 AM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqc2hylqP35VHZpmOVcIOI8XdaIb62X fFz1mrrZB4uWRqqNi8&t=1&usg=__AdU3m1UKkmjHlo8S-lyys72cpr4=

Nope, that definitely was NOT Aerosmith. It was the singer and rhythm section with a pair of scabs. The last true Aerosmith album was this one, and although this record was dismissed at the time it was issued and by now is pretty much forgotten, give it a listen today. It holds up surprisingly well.

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/7004/aerosmithdonewithmirror.jpg (http://img843.imageshack.us/i/aerosmithdonewithmirror.jpg/)

Unchainme
09-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Another band that springs up is Metallica.

up until the Black album they had made some great songs and were an enjoyable group...

now it's all shit and my local rock station will overplay the living fuck out of them and their new shit album. Lars too, has become a giant douche.

And even before then they were being rather douchey, I heard that in the 1980's they were calling out Motley Crue for the way they dressed and then ran away like pussies when the band started to all gang up on them.

great music but just a couple of douche bags.

sonrisa salvaje
09-23-2010, 11:16 AM
I'll put my vote in for Skid Row who continue to tour and make albums without Sebastion Bach on vocals. There was some merit to the band with him in it but without him i just don't get it.
I also don't care for there being 2 versions of L.A. Guns, one with the original lead singer and one with Traci Gunns without Phil on vocals. What is the point?

chefcraig
09-23-2010, 11:34 AM
Another band that springs up is Metallica.

up until the Black album they had made some great songs and were an enjoyable group...

now it's all shit and my local rock station will overplay the living fuck out of them and their new shit album. Lars too, has become a giant douche.

And even before then they were being rather douchey, I heard that in the 1980's they were calling out Motley Crue for the way they dressed and then ran away like pussies when the band started to all gang up on them.

great music but just a couple of douche bags.

I always used to laugh when people bought into the image perpetrated by a band, and Metallica are no different in regard to displaying themselves in a certain fashion. For one reason or another, folks tend to attach a label of integrity to a group when the fact is, when you really get down to it, they are at core entertainers. By and large, musicians readily exploit themselves for attention not gained in the normal course of their lives, and are willing to do so to at times embarrassing lengths. And if you think I'm full of shit, throw the DVD of Some Kind Of Monster into your video player, and after having sat through it (if possible), talk to me about the dignity, integrity and spirit of these so-called bad asses.

Unchainme
09-23-2010, 11:45 AM
I always used to laugh when people bought into the image perpetrated by a band, and Metallica are no different in regard to displaying themselves in a certain fashion. For one reason or another, folks tend to attach a label of integrity to a group when the fact is, when you really get down to it, they are at core entertainers. By and large, musicians readily exploit themselves for attention not gained in the normal course of their lives, and are willing to do so to at times embarrassing lengths. And if you think I'm full of shit, throw the DVD of Some Kind Of Monster into your video player, and after having sat through it (if possible), talk to me about the dignity, integrity and spirit of these so-called bad asses.

Some kind of monster just furthered my feelings as to how fraudulent the group has become.

Someone like Dave, while an entertainer has been fairly up front about it, and doesn't really need to put up a front about it. He's amazing, and just sad that he hasn't gotten near enough respect to just how interesting of a person he is, both on and off stage. Eat 'Em and Smile was pretty good at showing this.

I would say it's very few and far between to find someone who generally lived/lives out the rock and roll lifestyle. I think Motley, Old School Ozzy, Keith Moon, Lemmy, (as mentioned before) Dave all geniunly didn't really have an on and off switch, and were badass regardless of where they were.

Hence why I have a deeper respect for Motley Crue than Metallica, as dave said in an interview once "A lot of so-called "Rock stars" sing about how they're going to do this and that, drinking, and having sex, and at the end of the day they go to their station wagon and go to home to their wife and kids".

binnie
09-23-2010, 11:50 AM
I really don't think Metallica should stop: they still crush as a live band, and 'Death Magnetic' contained some real fire, some real venom. The 'Load' and 'Reload' years are long gone, as are the 'Some Kind of Monster' interludes. Lots of bands make mistakes, try experimentations that don't work, and are forgiven. For some reason Metallica aren't - maybe its because they came from the underground, I don't know.

As for being 'badasses': if you're the same person at 45 that you wre at 20, isn't that a little sad? We get older, flabbier, balder and have wives and children. Some of the edges are dulled as a result. That being said, I bet Lars drink most people under the table (if he hasn't bored them to death first!)

binnie
09-23-2010, 11:52 AM
I'll put my vote in for Skid Row who continue to tour and make albums without Sebastion Bach on vocals. There was some merit to the band with him in it but without him i just don't get it.
I also don't care for there being 2 versions of L.A. Guns, one with the original lead singer and one with Traci Gunns without Phil on vocals. What is the point?

Completely agree. Skid Row could have had a decent legacy, but they'be dragged it through the toilet.

binnie
09-23-2010, 12:08 PM
I would say it's very few and far between to find someone who generally lived/lives out the rock and roll lifestyle. I think Motley, Old School Ozzy, Keith Moon, Lemmy, (as mentioned before) Dave all geniunly didn't really have an on and off switch, and were badass regardless of where they were.

Hence why I have a deeper respect for Motley Crue than Metallica, as dave said in an interview once "A lot of so-called "Rock stars" sing about how they're going to do this and that, drinking, and having sex, and at the end of the day they go to their station wagon and go to home to their wife and kids".

I'm not quite sure what to make of this: you respect for a band whose hedonism led to the death of one person in a car crash, and the serious injury of two others, and who contain a man who beat his wife? Why do they get special exemption for actions I am sure you would find appauling if they were carried out by someone you actually knew?

The reason Motley and so many other 'rock stars' are infamous for their actions is because, quite simply, they talk about those actions endlessly. In middle age, that 'party hard' legacy is all they have to live off because, quite frankly, they are washed up as a creative force. They are a notalgia act, and they're milking it. And that's fine. From what I've heard, however, it is a charade these days - according to Vince's new book, Nikki is something of a corporate whore business man, not a rebel rousing rock star. At 55 years old, isn't it a little cooler to be a succesful business man than a junkie?

The point I'm making is, bands like Metallica, Maiden, AC/DC etc, etc don't talk about those ways because its not essential to selling tickets and CDs. Mick Wall once said that the most hedonistic behaviour he's ever seen occurred on a Def Leppard tour - hard to believe, but that's probably because that band doesn't ramble on about it in every interview. I am guessing that at 50 years old a lot of these guys look back at those days with a certain ambivalence: smiling fondly, but also a little embarrased by theirt youthful selves, maybe even a little ashamed (I'd certainly like to think so.)

What I am saying is, don't buy into the legend: most of these bands lived the lifestlye; its just that some of them grew up. It doesn't make them sellouts, it just means that they're not retarded 21 year olds in a 55 year olds body.

Nitro Express
09-23-2010, 12:12 PM
KI$$ 1975 = Cool

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rC4qmoqNULI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rC4qmoqNULI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Ki$$ 2010 = Not Cool...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aZuddHJuTPY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aZuddHJuTPY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I give the 2010 KISS and A for effort but Gene and Paul are just too old. Their age shows. Sure they do it for the money but I think they actually enjoy doing it but time to hang it up. That being said, there has never been a band like KISS and there never will be. Legends in my book.

PETE'S BROTHER
09-23-2010, 03:29 PM
http://clubredrocks.com/924-faster-pussycat.html

Faster Pussycat

Club Red * 7pm Doors * 21+ Event * $15-$20

Bands include: * The Hollywood Saints * Hollow * Suicide Circus * Rocking Horse

Faster Pussycat is back for another round @ Club Red. If you missed them earlier this year, here's your 2nd chance to see them with ALL their great hit songs!

so i guess it is just the original lead singer now, anybody seen these guys lately?

indeedido
09-23-2010, 04:57 PM
I would be fine with KISS carrying on if they took the makeup off, but trotting out the two scabs is too much. Hang it up!

Mr. Vengeance
09-23-2010, 05:44 PM
Rush. Mainly because I hate 'em and always have. Geddy Lee looks like a tranny now.

Mr. Vengeance
09-23-2010, 05:46 PM
Oh, and Guns n' Roses...hang it up. No one cares about you Axl, without Slash, Izzy, Duff and the rest.

78/84 guy
09-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Keep dreaming guy's !! They will not go away if there is money too be made. Even if it is a small club. Oversea's they couldn't care less who is in the band the just want too hear the music. Their not as anal as us American's. But put Skynyrd on my list since Billy died. God & Gun's is a great cd but they should have called it a day after they released it. I had no problem with them still touring until Leon died because the newer cd's have been very good but it's time. Just saw Rush and they killed it. Gun's for sure !!! And Skid Row. The Thin Lizzy thing is pretty fucking sad also !!!

Anonymous
09-23-2010, 10:07 PM
I really don't think Metallica should stop: they still crush as a live band, and 'Death Magnetic' contained some real fire, some real venom.

Yeah. The parts that sound just like Master of Puppets. Of course, the Metallisheep will lap it up. But it's extremely sad when the only memorable parts on an album are the ones that sound almost exactly like an album that was released 50 years ago.

Metallica has stopped being good a long, long time ago. The truth is, Mustaine handed them the formula, the recipe. The template for "The Four Horsemen" was later used on "Creeping Death" & "Master of Puppets". Then Cliff added the kickassedness. That dude played on a whole different level. Lars Hetfield have ridden on the talent of two people for way too long. They're fucking disgusting. Worse than Gene Simmons.

The fact is that Metallica couldn't write anything worth a shit if you bashed their skulls in.

I love their four albums as much as anyone. But everything they've done since then has been worse than the stunts Eddie V. pulled on us. The difference is, some people here have no qualms about calling Eddie what he is - a disgusting piece of shit. Not so with the Metallisheep.

Fuck 'em all.

Cheers! :bottle:

lesfunk
09-23-2010, 10:28 PM
THE WHO ...or should I say the two?

Big Troubles
09-23-2010, 10:35 PM

Some of the Aero guys rely on touring to make $ as their songwriting got edged out decades ago. Same time their comeback peaked. They were my favorite band for years but I'm not really interested in seeing them live anymore. This was the setlist at Boston show on last tour. Too many power ballads...
Train Kept a Rollin'
Love In An Elevator
Fallin’ In Love
Livin’ On The Edge
What It Takes
Pink-c
Last Child
Cryin’
Drum Solo
Rag Doll
Guitar Hero Joe
Stop Messin’ Around (w/Tony & Adrian Perry)
I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing
Come Together
Sweet Emotion
Jaded (Did not play)
Baby Please Don’t Go
Draw The Line
Encore:
Dream On (Steven played Dream On at a white baby grand piano, atop the Green Monster!)
Walk This Way

Still I'd be interested if they did cut a new CD, unlikely now that Brand Tyler is on American Idol :barf:

i dont know, nor care to look it up, but "Devil/new Disguise" sounds like a decent new(er) recording from Aero.

although, their best shit was pre-84

now that he is on AI, it's done...

Big Troubles
09-23-2010, 10:38 PM
my personal opinion. guns n roses, kiss and pearl jam (if they r not done already)

and done before they started bands...? NICKLEBACK. complete and udder shit.

Big Troubles
09-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Rush. Mainly because I hate 'em and always have. Geddy Lee looks like a tranny now.

whadda ya mean now? dude even sounds like a girl but i will admit

i like 2 songs by them. fly by night. limelight.

FORD
09-23-2010, 11:00 PM
THE WHO ...or should I say the two?

THIS is The Who:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uMKPWvgjk0

THIS is pathetic.....:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtNcLDwZHkU

(actually it's far more tolerable in this unplugged rendition, than what Daltrey REALLY sings like nowdays, which is simply horrible)

Big Troubles
09-23-2010, 11:19 PM
why isnt someone telling him to stop? thats what i dont get. its beginning to feel like awkward applause...

Diamondjimi
09-24-2010, 01:19 AM

:smiley-sniffer:

Looks like a Tranny? Who gives a shit what the band look like . It's a matter of "Do they bring it?"

Rush is a band that doesn't lie to themselves or their fans (not like some bands we know).

These 3 old ugly bastards "bring it" every show....

binnie
09-24-2010, 04:39 AM
Yeah. The parts that sound just like Master of Puppets. Of course, the Metallisheep will lap it up. But it's extremely sad when the only memorable parts on an album are the ones that sound almost exactly like an album that was released 50 years ago.

Metallica has stopped being good a long, long time ago. The truth is, Mustaine handed them the formula, the recipe. The template for "The Four Horsemen" was later used on "Creeping Death" & "Master of Puppets". Then Cliff added the kickassedness. That dude played on a whole different level. Lars Hetfield have ridden on the talent of two people for way too long. They're fucking disgusting. Worse than Gene Simmons.

The fact is that Metallica couldn't write anything worth a shit if you bashed their skulls in.

I love their four albums as much as anyone. But everything they've done since then has been worse than the stunts Eddie V. pulled on us. The difference is, some people here have no qualms about calling Eddie what he is - a disgusting piece of shit. Not so with the Metallisheep.

Fuck 'em all.

Cheers! :bottle:

Mmmmmmm.....seems to me that it sounds closer to '...Justice'

Metallica can't win: they experiment in the '90s and everyone says they've sold out from their roots; they go back to their roots and everyone complains.

Dan
09-24-2010, 05:01 AM
WhiteSnake.:D

Unchainme
09-24-2010, 11:33 AM
"..Justice"

was a great album, as was "One", I also don't think the Black album was all that bad..just after that the stuff really isn't worth listening to.

One of the major beefs with Metallica is the obsessive radio play they get. And it's usually the shit they produced after the black album that gets played the most. Also, they are a bit overrated in the genre in my eyes. Tons of more talented bands get overlooked in favor of them.

indeedido
09-24-2010, 01:51 PM
The Black album was good at the time, but has gotten overplayed and most are sick of it myself included. Everything that came after it was shit. Death Magnetic was ok but the production value on it leaves it gathering dust in a cabinet. St. Anger had potential but failed.

ThrillsNSpills
09-24-2010, 01:52 PM
Hey Unc, Attitude Adjustment from Nine Lives had some of the old Aerosmith fire. I don't blame them for their direction because it was record company bullshit that they all caved to at the time. Sony rejected Get a Grip and they had to put more garbage like Crazy and Amazing and all that stuff that sounds exactly the same to me. The thing I don't get is that You See Me Crying, and Home Tonight were good powerful slow tunes without cheese factor, so why couldn't they do slow stuff that wasn't sappy?

Look at Heart, they had already proved themselves as solid writers and performers, but they had to have other writers to come in and do These Dreams kind of songs. Record Companies had to have guaranteed investment recoupers and that's what these song doctors' jobs were.

With regard to topic though, I saw the Guess Who years ago who may have had one original member. Seriously, with them only Cummings could do those tunes justice and the show was a joke.

Green Manalishi
09-24-2010, 03:34 PM
Sadly , after all these years , I have to chime in here about a certain band that should hang it up - Black Oak Arkansas - Yep , Jim Dandy Mangrum is still dragging this rotting corpse around the B grade club circuit . I saw them several years back . They opened - and closed - with " Jim Dandy To The Rescue " It was nearly Gawd-awful .

The latest incantation of Foghat needs to hang it up as well . I think they are down to one recognizable guy . After Lonesome Dave sadly succumbed to cancer in 2000 that band should have respectfully folded up shop .

ThrillsNSpills
09-24-2010, 04:16 PM
There's so many great examples in this thread and many seem to just come down to legal rights to a name versus whether the replaced members actually have chemistry even halfway close to the original incarnations, which as we've seen usually they don't come close. I was lucky enough to catch a Foghat show that had the original members at some point in the 90's and they still brought it. The Guess Who thing I saw, which I suppose the name actually fits because you don't know what you're looking at, only had like the drummer or something. At that point it's just old guys trying to scam on women in the audience. (The singer actually said at one point "are there any sluts in the audience?")

FORD
09-24-2010, 04:25 PM
Occasionally the REAL Guess Who plays together, as they did at the SARSstock benefit concert in Toronto in 2003. They sounded great, and for that reason I don't know how the Hell they could settle for any lesser lineup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAqVZi2jgGM

Jack68
09-24-2010, 06:02 PM
THIS is The Who:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uMKPWvgjk0

THIS is pathetic.....:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtNcLDwZHkU

(actually it's far more tolerable in this unplugged rendition, than what Daltrey REALLY sings like nowdays, which is simply horrible)

i know..BUT its acoustic.Its funny i saw him down at time square and he rocked voice wise.Young man blues ,tattoo.Ill still go.Roger is all or nothing.I wouldnt put one of the greatest voices in rock against that..lame 2009 against 1969? Whatever.

Jack68
09-24-2010, 06:12 PM
, Lets see ..bald,cant sing,no input as of 2010,cant comment to the press. raises dogs,i guess roger wasnt that far off being 66
.humm
I know ford youll be all over the CFNY.When they were washed up..
Youtube..
ever see The who/moon jones/starkey /Ford.Wikpedia that douchebag..

Jack68
09-24-2010, 06:30 PM
, Lets see ..bald,cant sing,no input as of 2010,cant comment to the press. raises dogs,i guess Roger wasnt that far off being 66
.humm
I know ford youll be all over the CFNY.When they were washed up..
Youtube..
ever see The who/moon jones/starkey /Ford.Wikpedia that douchebag..
they are old ..get over it.at leat they are trying unlike you on youre horseshit laughable platform.Let me guess ..you have all day by the terminal at your house,unemployed.Roger isnt.Youre a loser super moderatoer kill yourself or get a job.
Google yourself loser you are a joke."I have that or im the first what are you 9?

Go head son re write history youre a joke.
(by the wAY EVERYONE HAS ACESS TO YOU TUBE AND WIKPEDIA YOU JERKOFF."

Jack68
09-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Misspelled on purpose tool.

FORD
09-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Actually, I saw that 1989 "Tommy plus the hits" tour when Pete let some hired scab play most of the lead guitar. And when Pete finally strapped on the Strat himself, he crucified his hand with the Whammy bar and put an end to the show. But at least Roger could still sing then. And the Ox was still there. Kenney Jones - great drummer for the Faces, not so much for the Who, but nobody could be except for Keith Moon. Ringo's kid, same deal. He's not bad, but nobody can fill Keith's shoes. Or Entwistle's. For them to tour before his body was even cold was fucking inexcusable.

And in a band like the Who, where the rhythm section was as crucial as Moon & Entwistle were, it's time to hang it up when they're both gone. And Roger croaking his way through the show is just the final straw. Stick a fork in the Hiwatt amps. They're done.

BTW slow down on the booze, it's only 6:30 on the east coast and your posts already look like Thunder or Sockfucker wrote them. :biggrin:

Jack68
09-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Actually, I saw that 1989 "Tommy plus the hits" tour when Pete let some hired scab play most of the lead guitar. And when Pete finally strapped on the Strat himself, he crucified his hand with the Whammy bar and put an end to the show. But at least Roger could still sing then. And the Ox was still there. Kenney Jones - great drummer for the Faces, not so much for the Who, but nobody could be except for Keith Moon. Ringo's kid, same deal. He's not bad, but nobody can fill Keith's shoes. Or Entwistle's. For them to tour before his body was even cold was fucking inexcusable.

And in a band like the Who, where the rhythm section was as crucial as Moon & Entwistle were, it's time to hang it up when they're both gone. And Roger croaking his way through the show is just the final straw. Stick a fork in the Hiwatt amps. They're done.
I get your points..youre scab references are laughable.You werent seing the who sonny you were seeing the who on ice.Thanks for the wikpedia Moon /entwistle education.We can al read about the 89 tour and whammy bar stuff.Seatle i know the band played wgfg and the encore.As for Zak he is the only drummer i can se filling in .different band different drummer.I know the boots from 79 are magnifecent.Roger does croak,better then dave anything else? Best show of the tour was too late the hero..look it up first 4 shows.Apologise about the posts.Yopure education about the who is laughable.

BTW slow down on the booze, it's only 6:30 on the east coast and your posts already look like Thunder or Sockfucker wrote them. :biggrin:

I get your points..youre scab references are laughable.You werent seing the who sonny you were seeing thwe who on ice.thanks for the wikpedia Moon /entwistle education.We can al read about the 89 tour and whammy bar stuff.Seatle i know theband played wgfg and the encore.As for Zak he is the only drummer i can se filling in .different band different drummer.I know the boots from 79 are magnifecent.Roger does croak,better then dave anything

FORD
09-24-2010, 06:54 PM
s-l-o-w-d-o-w-n o-n t-h-e m-a-d-d-o-g, j-a-c-k-o-f-f:guzzle::puking-smiley:

Jack68
09-24-2010, 07:13 PM
s-l-o-w-d-o-w-n o-n t-h-e m-a-d-d-o-g, j-a-c-k-o-f-f:guzzle::puking-smiley:
Thats cute..how fat are you?Did youre limp dick do the dashes..its over clown,you tube this you piece of shit."did you know that 6 oclock was written by most of the beatles.?what else?Paul played drums on band on the run,,ooopss..were you going to type that?Oh yeah how about the forgotten tracks from the hollywood bowl?Oh yeah shea 65...

Diamondjimi
09-24-2010, 07:15 PM
Occasionally the REAL Guess Who plays together, as they did at the SARSstock benefit concert in Toronto in 2003. They sounded great, and for that reason I don't know how the Hell they could settle for any lesser lineup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAqVZi2jgGM

I was at that show as well as their headlining show at The Molson Amphitheatre the summer before. They sounded great...

Diamondjimi
09-24-2010, 07:18 PM
WTF is up with Jack68?

FORD
09-24-2010, 07:33 PM
WTF is up with Jack68?

Fuck if I know. I'm thinking either Jose Thunder hacked his account or Jose Cuervo hacked his brain. He's definitely not himself tonight.

Va Beach VH Fan
09-24-2010, 08:01 PM
Some interesting choices...

But you do realize that if this thread was started on many other band's messages boards that Van Halen would be on THEIR list, don't you ??

FORD
09-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Some interesting choices...

But you do realize that if this thread was started on many other band's messages boards that Van Halen would be on THEIR list, don't you ??

And at any point between April 1985 and September 2007, they would have been correct in saying so. (Except for the summer of 1996, maybe) :biggrin:

sonrisa salvaje
09-24-2010, 08:21 PM
I saw the Who in 1989 in Atlanta (2nd show of 3 days). I thought they were excellent.

I need to throw in Blackfoot and Molly Hatchet. Blackfoot continues to tour without Ric Medlocke which baffles me. At least if Lynyrd Skynyrd were to call it quits, he could make Blackfoot real again. The original lead singer for Molly Hatchet died in 1996 and, to me, he gave them their signature vocal sound. Yet, the band has recorded approximately 5 more albums since and continue to tour as well. I don't know that their are any original band members in that band anymore.

FORD
09-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Aren't all the surviving REAL members of Molly Hatchet in a band called "Gator Country" now, or something like that?

If I remember, it's most of the original band, plus the second singer Jimmy Farrar (or whatever his name was). Not sure how they lost the rights to the name "Molly Hatchet" or who would be entitled to own that name now, since the only guy not in the band is the original singer, and he's dead. 4 out of 5 original members is certainly more than any post-plane crash version of "Lynyrd Skynyrd " ever had.

sonrisa salvaje
09-24-2010, 09:14 PM
I think you are right about Gator Country. I think there are 2 members of the current Hatchet that played on Danny Joe Brown's solo record in 1980 when he left the band after Flirtin With Disaster. Hatchet did Beatin the Odds in 80 and The Deed Is Done in 1981 and then Danny Joe Brown came back. When he returned he brought a couple of his bandmates from his solo project who have been in the band since. I don't see how they would have gotten the rights to the band over surviving original members though.

Mushroom
09-25-2010, 01:45 AM
the Who, that is embarrassing. at least I saw them once in San Diego Jack Murphy Stadium 1989 and Pete was playing guitar.

Def Leppard, 20 years overdue

Alabama, 25 years overdue

what if somebody said U2? No way, I think they still have some good music to write.

Bad Company, 30 years overdue unless it's really Paul Rodgers and the real band

Night Ranger, 20 years overdue

BB King? I heard he hardly plays the guitar anymore

Honorary Mention:
Eminem, white punk can't do hip-hop

basstar66
09-25-2010, 02:21 AM
QUEEN shouldnt have done the paul rogers version , guns n roses with only axl ??? puhleez ....

Dan
09-25-2010, 03:01 AM
This One Is For Bill,WHAM.:D

DavidLeeNatra
09-25-2010, 05:07 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQI6RD0EytQ?fs=1&amp;hl=de_DE"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQI6RD0EytQ?fs=1&amp;hl=de_DE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

ThrillsNSpills
09-25-2010, 09:19 AM
3 Dog Night

without Chuck Negron

= 2 Dog Suck

Jack68
09-25-2010, 10:09 AM
He was right it was 630 and i was bombed.
Ford i apologise if its worth anything.
I I still think th eOO rock.

Jack68
09-25-2010, 11:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dlN55SoF4Q

hambon4lif
09-25-2010, 01:11 PM
QUEEN shouldnt have done the paul rogers version..I have to disagree with that one. It's not like they were trying to "replace" Freddie..it was more like a collaboration that actually worked. They didn't pull a Journey and find some third-rate pudwack soundalike...Paul Rodgers was a legend going in.

It was "Queen and Paul Rodgers". It was even printed on the ticket stub that way! People knew what they were getting, and they didn't disgrace a legacy by pretending that it was anything more than what it was....a singer without a band, and a band without a singer that just decided to get together and jam. I don't see anything wrong with that.

What actually surprised me was how well the music of both bands fused together. They made it look easy.

Nobody was trying to replace anybody. It was just a few legends kicking some ass....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cgSPsSOICE0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cgSPsSOICE0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

VHscraps
09-25-2010, 01:19 PM
I must be part of the minority, but I think "Rock In A Place" is a decent album. (Lightning Strikes, Jailbait, Bitches Brew).

It beats the shit out of the commercial shlock they've put out with Geffen.

Me too - I loved that album from the first I heard it in, what '82, and I think it sounds great now. Sure as hell beats anything post-reformation, AND - IMHO - 'Right in the Nuts', and 'Draw the Line' (although both of those have some of Aerosmith's best moments buried amongst some less good material).

Come to think of it - Joe Perry's 'I've Got The Rock'n'Rolls Again' is also better than anything I've heard since he rejoined (although I gave up at 'Pump').

VHscraps
09-25-2010, 01:34 PM
whadda ya mean now? dude even sounds like a girl but i will admit

i like 2 songs by them. fly by night. limelight.

I used to own all their albums up until about 'Moving Pictures'. I saw them in the early 80s - I suppose I was a 'fan'. But it was really just 'cos everyone else that I knew was going to the gigs, buying the records, etc. I dunno why I liked them now.

Nothing against them - it just ain't rock'n'roll, which is my preferred stew. Having said that, whenever it comes on the radio, I think 'Spirit of Radio' is a damn fine tune, with great playing - but I was sent an Rush DVD by mistake from a rental firm last year and when I looked at it out of curiosity - it was mid-70s stuff - I just thought, 'what the fuck'? How the fuck did I ever like this ...

VHscraps
09-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Iron Maiden - hang it up. What can I say. I guess I liked them around 80-83, and saw them a few times back then, but had a kinda revelation when the opening band on one tour (this was the UK), three guys wearing leather jacktes and playing hard fast rock'n'roll called The Rods just blew them away. Now when I hear them on the radio, it's just so damn formulaic. They've got the three guitarists in the band, so - of course - they all get to have a fuckin solo each on every damn song probably ... and that Steve Harris bass sound always seemed obtrusive to me. Like - 'this is my band and everybody is gonna know it is cos my bass is all over this record'. But it ain't even bass playing to me - it's like a loose spring in bobbling away is some redundant jalopy that was overrated to begin with.

chefcraig
09-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Come to think of it - Joe Perry's 'I've Got The Rock'n'Rolls Again' is also better than anything I've heard since he rejoined (although I gave up at 'Pump').

True, but that first Perry Project album (Let The Music Do The Talking) crushes everything that came in it's wake. As much as I love Done With Mirrors, the remake of "Let The..." on DWM sounds plodding and worn out in comparison to Perry's original take. (Check out the two side by side below) The completely unhinged "Break Song" is the most blistering thing Joe ever recorded, and the rest of the tunes on that album had enough bad assed riffs to make up the great lost Aerosmith album everyone has been waiting for since ROCKS came out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro2rx_S47VU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHHWEiRCni0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrcqWYGOSns

VHscraps
09-25-2010, 02:39 PM
Thanks for posting those - good to have a listen again. I always thought the remake just didn't make it.

Yeah - the original version of the song 'Let the Music Do the Talking' is probably better than anything off 'I've Got the Rock'n'Rolls Again', but I think the latter is better all-round. 'East Coast, West Coast', 'Dirty Little Things', 'Buzz Buzz', 'Listen to the Rock' - it's just a damn good album top to bottom. They recorded it live, I think (without an audience). It sounds like it - it's got amazing energy.#

then there was that next album - used to have the vinyl - where the Project all looked gay, sniffing flowers and stuff ...

The most disappointing thing with Done With Mirrors was how lacklustre it sounded. And Ted Templeman produced it, which made if even more baffling. But I guess with it being a non-Warners job (i.e., he was on Aerosmith's payroll) he maybe didn't have as much control over the song selection (like - get some new songs already, Toxic Twins), the sessions and mixes as he did with VH (at least until Eddie built 5150).

VHscraps
09-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Some tunes from I've Got the Rock'n'Rolls Again.

1. Dirty Little Things

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jDXP-dnvpKw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jDXP-dnvpKw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

2. No Substitute for Arrogance

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8CAA8Zr7RPw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8CAA8Zr7RPw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

3. East Coast, West Coast

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G4dH6SCKp68?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G4dH6SCKp68?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

FORD
09-25-2010, 02:58 PM
The most disappointing thing with Done With Mirrors was how lacklustre it sounded. And Ted Templeman produced it, which made if even more baffling. But I guess with it being a non-Warners job (i.e., he was on Aerosmith's payroll) he maybe didn't have as much control over the song selection (like - get some new songs already, Toxic Twins), the sessions and mixes as he did with VH (at least until Eddie built 5150).

"Done With Mirrors" was Aerosmith's first album for Geffen, which was distributed by Warner at the time. So that might have something to do with Templeman's availability for the project. Unfortunately, even the best producers can't save everything. Steve Lillywhite was on one Hell of a hot streak in the mid-80's when he decided to work with the Rolling Stones. But not even he could save "Dirty Work", which was literally the chronicle of a great band falling apart.

I'm actually surprised none of the Stones haters have been in this thread, BTW. Though after an album as great as "A Bigger Bang" and the facelifts they gave to some of the Exile outtakes on the "new" remaster, I'd say they still have some life in them. Though recently, Mick said that they would probably tour in 2011 and unfortunately, "this will be the last time....."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F271Qblz1nI

VHscraps
09-25-2010, 03:45 PM
Last Stones album I bought was Steel Wheels - nearly 20 years ago ... But, I really thought that the Exile outtake, 'Plunder My Soul', was great.

Hey, they've just released Ladies and Gentlemen the Rolling Stones on DVD. Will be good to see a clean version of that.

FORD
09-25-2010, 03:50 PM
The DVD is out already? I thought they were going to hold that up for the Xmas market and release the film to the theaters (including an IMAX version) first. Or at least that was the story when the re-release was announced a few months ago.

Oops, never mind. It seems they did that last week. Had a one night showing on the 16th. Goddamn it, that's what I get for not subscribing to the local shitty newspaper. Didn't hear a thing about it. :(

chefcraig
09-25-2010, 03:53 PM
The DVD is out already? I thought they were going to hold that up for the Xmas market and release the film to the theaters (including an IMAX version) first. Or at least that was the story when the re-release was announced a few months ago.

Last I heard was an October release for it in the U.S. Perhaps it is earlier in the U.K.?

VHscraps
09-25-2010, 04:02 PM
Ah, I just bought a UK magazine today (Uncut) and it's got ads for it in there. Only noticed 'cos I never knew a thing about it getting an official release, but never checked the release date - let me check it if is actually out now or in the next month or whatever ...

... ah, October 11th in the UK, it says. Two weeks. Deluxe edition of DVDs Ladies and Gentlemen, Stones in Exile, and a Bonus DVD of previously unreleased material.

It's interesting that the Stones seem to have documented most of their tours. And this is decades before DVD, and the opportunity to sell this in the way that happens now. They just filmed every tour, from probably 1969 onwards.

DavidLeeNatra
09-26-2010, 04:00 AM
I have to disagree with that one. It's not like they were trying to "replace" Freddie..it was more like a collaboration that actually worked. They didn't pull a Journey and find some third-rate pudwack soundalike...Paul Rodgers was a legend going in.

It was "Queen and Paul Rodgers". It was even printed on the ticket stub that way! People knew what they were getting, and they didn't disgrace a legacy by pretending that it was anything more than what it was....a singer without a band, and a band without a singer that just decided to get together and jam. I don't see anything wrong with that.

What actually surprised me was how well the music of both bands fused together. They made it look easy.

Nobody was trying to replace anybody. It was just a few legends kicking some ass....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cgSPsSOICE0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cgSPsSOICE0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

amen!

dazzlindino
09-26-2010, 02:38 PM
:indifferent0020:

Steve Savicki
09-26-2010, 11:22 PM
Who needs to hang it up?
Gary Cherone
Sammy Hagar
Michael Anthony
Alex Van Halen
Eddie Van Halen
David Lee Roth

Diamondjimi
09-26-2010, 11:42 PM
http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4441

Unchainme
09-27-2010, 12:32 AM
Who needs to hang it up?
Gary Cherone
Sammy Hagar
Michael Anthony
Alex Van Halen
Eddie Van Halen
David Lee Roth

Hey steve..

go eat a big heaping pile of shit, seriously.

Roth can do whatever the fuck he wants, where ever the fuck he wants. It's pretty damn obvious that you are not a fan and just some lame gay ass autistic troll. and the sole reason you are even still at this site because you've kissed hitch's ass.

Also your musical tastes suck big floppy donkey dick, seriously, Go take a look at my sig and what you've said in the past.

Also, prove me wrong on ANY OF THIS. Seriously. I doubt you will. And I know your gloryhole buddy gar will stick up for you and go on about how your this "Big Roth fan". I call bullshit. You are NOT one of us,, you're a fucking autistic loser from Arizona. GTFO out NOW.

Diamondjimi
09-27-2010, 12:36 AM
and the sole reason you are even still at this site because you've kissed hitch's ass.

Steve is obsessed with Hitch's penis avatars... :biggrin:

Dave's Bitch
09-27-2010, 04:06 AM
Iron Maiden should probably give it a rest now,Or at least give recording new stuff a break.I am sure i heard they were going to call it quits after the new album(validation anyone?).

Mr Badguy
09-27-2010, 05:10 AM
Iron Maiden should probably give it a rest now,Or at least give recording new stuff a break.I am sure i heard they were going to call it quits after the new album(validation anyone?).

That's ridiculous.

You think Iron Maiden should hang it up because they write new music then refuse to go out and play a "Greatest hits" set?

That's the exact opposite of all of the bands who SHOULD hang it up.

As much as I would love to go see Maiden do a set of classics, I respect the fact that they're still trying to move forward.

I still think their new album is brilliant as well, finally getting somewhere near their potential.

ashstralia
09-27-2010, 06:25 AM
That's ridiculous.

You think Iron Maiden should hang it up because they write new music then refuse to go out and play a "Greatest hits" set?

As much as I would love to go see Maiden do a set of classics, I respect the fact that they're still trying to move forward.

I still think their new album is brilliant as well, finally getting somewhere near their potential.

oooohhh yeeaahh! i was front row 12 feb 2008 brisbane, which was essentially a set of classics.

an unforgettable experience. and i've seen them since '82. (again front row, how lucky am i?)

the somewhere back in time tour, as chronicled in the critically acclaimed flight 666 movie.

now, they bring this awesome album that is as relevant as any new music i've heard in the last 5 years,

and they're touring it. if that's not real, cutting edge, and still important after all these years, some one will kindly explain it to me :)

Dave's Bitch
09-27-2010, 06:32 AM
That's ridiculous.

i just feel there is only so much galloping bass,slow intro into a heavy song and three guitar solo's without them all sounding the same.I also respect the fact that they're still trying to move forward,but do you go to a gig and get all giddy about a bands musical integrity or about the set and how they play?

Mr Badguy
09-27-2010, 07:22 AM
i just feel there is only so much galloping bass,slow intro into a heavy song and three guitar solo's without them all sounding the same.I also respect the fact that they're still trying to move forward,but do you go to a gig and get all giddy about a bands musical integrity or about the set and how they play?

No.

But I understand that if they don't go out and play the new stuff the NOONE will ever buy into it.

You just know that if a band brings an album out, then tours and plays hardly any new songs that even they don't believe in their new material.

How did the 80's live classics achieve their status?

Because they got played live.

I'm pretty sure that when, for example, "The Trooper" came into the set as a new song and something like "Prowler" got dropped, people got pissed cos they weren't playing the "old stuff".

I just don't understand why you think Maiden should hang it up when they are still delivering on all fronts.

Seshmeister
09-27-2010, 07:42 AM
Personally I think they should have stopped when Paul Di'Anno left...

ashstralia
09-27-2010, 07:46 AM
Personally I think they should have stopped when Paul Di'Anno left...

yeah, you would've been listening to the bay city rollers then.

sadaist
09-27-2010, 07:54 AM
No.

But I understand that if they don't go out and play the new stuff the NOONE will ever buy into it.

You just know that if a band brings an album out, then tours and plays hardly any new songs that even they don't believe in their new material.

I'm pretty sure that when, for example, "The Trooper" came into the set as a new song and something like "Prowler" got dropped, people got pissed cos they weren't playing the "old stuff".

I just don't understand why you think Maiden should hang it up when they are still delivering on all fronts.

The only problem with that argument is Iron Maiden is considered an old band now.

When The Trooper came out, young kids all across America were hearing "You'll Take My Life, But I'll Take Yours Too!!" and crapping themselves and buying the album. These kids are now grown men. Very, very few young people are still going to get hot for some new Iron Maiden stuff. Where are they going to be exposed to it? Not the radio, not MTV, and certainly not a record store. (And look at the crowds at the show. Mostly guys over 30)

This happens with ALL bands. The band ages along with the fans. At some point, new material becomes less important than the early, and especially the prime-time body of work that made them who they are.

I'm not saying a band should just stop making new music and do the same tour every 2 years. But when they do release new material, it is VERY difficult to decide which of their base classic hits to drop from the set. So only 1-2 songs from the new is usually sufficient.

Even when Def Leppard started the Hysteria tour, at the beginning of it they only played 3 songs from the album and ALL but 1 of Pyromania. But then Hysteria grew into it's own and more people wanted to hear those songs live as well...so it just happened naturally.

Maybe bands should just let people vote online, or as they enter the ticket gates on which songs they wanna hear. Tally it up backstage during the opening band and make an all-request 2 hour show basically, based on what that crowd voted the highest priorities.

Although that would have meant Van Halen would have played Unchained 7 times last tour on every show.

hambon4lif
09-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Who needs to hang it up?Your dad?

He seems to have the same sick, twisted obsession with cartoon pussy as his kid....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WwAAW4nnD4U?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WwAAW4nnD4U?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

sonrisa salvaje
09-27-2010, 10:49 AM
In the case of Iron Maiden, i don't think that a band's change in direction or making music that isn't of one's particular taste is a sign that they should hang it up. I think it is somewhat egotistical for someone to say that they liked a particular era from a band and because they don't care for what they have done since the band is at fault and should quit. That is laughable. Maybe it is the listener that should hang it up. Iron Maiden is not tired sounding nor are they infiltrated with a lot of non original members who are shamelessly carrying on in vain. Those 2 components, in my mind, are the main things that should signal a band's end.

Unchainme
09-27-2010, 12:07 PM
In regards to the paedo's claim that Dave should hang it up

I don't know if I see Roth really "Hanging it up" per say...as more so just doing his own thing. Eventually I think he'll stop touring and maybe just make a one off appearance here or there. He's pretty chill about wanting to see the world and do his own thing, always has been. If he does tour though, you won't see him rocking it like its 1984, but rather moreso in the mode of what he was doing in the past tour.

Ed and Alex? Really don't give a shit, they're content hanging out a howdy doody mountain and creating shit no ones going to here. They'll do one more tour and this will be it. Nothing wrong with that, I mean the fans deserve at the very least THAT after the shit we've received from the Hagar and Cherone eras.

Dave's Bitch
09-28-2010, 03:31 AM
No.

Exactly what sadaist said.Not for one second am i saying they need to hang it up because the new stuff is a lil' different from the stuff i dig,who the hell am i to say that?.My thoughts are just it is a lil' intensive to go see them and hear practically the whole new album and maybe just four of the classics' (case when i saw um back in 2005 i think it was).I find the new stuff to be pretty formulaic, so to hear the majority of new stuff was a bit of a let down for me.For example when i saw Judas Priest in 2008 they opened with a new one and injected a few inbetween the classics and as a result i really dug the album .As sadaist said, two or three songs would be alright and would peak my interest in the newer stuff more than complete a overload.But eh if what they do works for them,what is one person feeling a lil' pissed they didn't hear more old stuff