PDA

View Full Version : Which would you pick?

Ally_Kat
01-11-2004, 04:54 PM
I realized upon observation of my classes that stupid me left this huge-ass gap on Weds. How big a gap? From 10am til 6pm.

Now, going home is not an option seeing how I take the train and that's a pain and a half going back and forth; Not to mention expensive since they raised fares.

So I'm thinking about adding another class. Thing is, I don't know what I should add and not much fits into that time slot. So here's what I got and I'm contemplating.

Digital Illustration Wed 3-5:50
An intermediate-level class in the design and creation of computer-based illustration using structured drawing programs. Students work on the computer with illustration techniques for logo design, technical drawing, and poster design.

Pros: fits time slot, all on computer, no outside class work, easy a, would finish minor's requirements.
Cons: Sounds like I would need to draw some stuff, and I'm not that great an artist.

Controversies in Science Wed 3-5:30
An honors class studying controversies in science throughout history and the world around them.

Pros: friend Dan is taking it, semi-interested in it, possible easy to write a paper about something in class I was interested in, knocks my needed honors electives from two to one
Cons: honors classes have more books to read than you can shake a stick at and demand lenghty (6-10 page) papers each week.

Biology 22 - Biology and Modern Technology Mon/Wed 1- 2:50

An examination of the fundamental processes that sustain life. Major topics include cell structure and cell function, cell division, how genes work, the structure and functions of the major organ systems of the human body, and the actions and biochemestry of drugs (such as contraceptives, antibiotics, protease inhibitors, anabolic steroids and psychoactive drugs) on the human body. Two lecture hours, two labratory hours.

Pros: took friend's final and got 100% on it, finishes my science requirements, finishes core curriculum requirements
Cons: lengthens Monday, a science class after another science class (Chem).

sitting on my ass Wed 10-6

Pros: hang out with friends between their classes, sleep in the honors lounge
Cons: I bore easily, I'll be tempted to never go to my journalism class.

Flash Bastard
01-11-2004, 05:35 PM
Are you majoring in Journalism? Please tell me you're not.

Ally_Kat
01-11-2004, 06:46 PM
I am. Not everyone who majors in journalism becomes a reporter, though.

Flash Bastard
01-11-2004, 06:51 PM
True. I have a few friends with degrees in broadcast journalism who can't find TV gigs. They're flipping burgers or washing cars for a living now.

Ally_Kat
01-11-2004, 06:53 PM
radio has a little more job security. Me, I'm looking to go more into the whole advertising-public relations part of the field.

thebuldawg
01-11-2004, 09:01 PM
I'd go with the Digital Illustraions, 'cause it sounds pretty cool to me. Plus, I'd be willing to bet that any art you do wouldn't be by hand and if so it'd only be a rough sketch of what you'd do on the computer and, so, wouldn't need to look great.

SensibleShoes
01-11-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Flash Bastard
True. I have a few friends with degrees in broadcast journalism who can't find TV gigs. They're flipping burgers or washing cars for a living now.

Yeah and the reason they can't find jobs is that assholes like me stay in their TV job for 24 years. :D

Broadcasting sucks these days. They picked bad majors. Ally, take the design class. You may end up needing it.

Junyore Grades
01-12-2004, 09:31 AM
Alley,
Take the Digital Illustration class. I may be wrong, as I don't know what software you'll be using, but most of these programs have preset arcs, ovals and text and you may not be doing as much "free-hand" drawing as you are thinking. If it does come down to "free-handing" and what you're drawing gets too funky, just explain that it's abstract. :)

thebuldawg
01-12-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Junyore Grades
...and what you're drawing gets too funky, just explain that it's abstract. :)

LOL!

Funkmonkey
01-13-2004, 12:44 PM
Ally, I'm with SS on this one. I'd go with the Digital Illustration class. Since you plan on entering the advertising-public relations field, then learning how to make digital presentations would seem to be directly applicable to your career field. Plus, as SS mentioned, having experience in the computer field may help you obtain lucrative computer related positions if journalism isn’t working for you.

However, if you decide to choose the "sit on my ass" option, I could suggest some more exhilarating alternatives to sit on that would provide ample activity to make the hours simply float by with ease.

Ally_Kat
01-13-2004, 06:20 PM
oh baby! DO go on!

High Life Man
01-14-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
I am. Not everyone who majors in journalism becomes a reporter, though.

Case in point, me.

The important thing is to have a degree. Bosses like that - why, I'm not really sure.

High Life Man
01-14-2004, 11:56 AM
Oh yeah, I wouldn't take any class.

Free time is precious. Sleep it away!

Funkmonkey
01-14-2004, 06:40 PM
oh baby! DO go on!

Can I interest you in a banana?

Hmmm....?

Ally_Kat
01-14-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Funkmonkey
Can I interest you in a banana?

Hmmm....?

a-hem (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=183) :o

Funkmonkey
01-15-2004, 10:42 AM
a-hem (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=183)

Oh, I'm in quiver! Be still my furry beating heart!

eek! eeeeeeeek! eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

Polk High
01-17-2004, 11:12 PM
suck it up and take bio

Polk High
01-17-2004, 11:12 PM
is chemistry not available??

Ally_Kat
01-18-2004, 03:12 AM
i'm already registered for chem. that's one of my monday/wed classes.

my best friend is taking the digital illustration class and is saying I shouldtake it with her. I might. I got to decide on Tuesday cuz that's when school opens.