PDA

View Full Version : Top Five **Official** Live albums of all time.

FORD
09-25-2010, 01:50 PM
No this isn't another stupid list from Rolling Stone, or MTV, or any other media whore outlet that would undoubtedly fuck up the list with something stupid. Just FORD ranking his own goddamn favorites and giving you the opportunity to do the same.

And yeah, we all love bootlegs. But this thread is about the live albums you can buy in any record store. So, in your opinion, what are the 5 greatest live albums ever?

Here's my ranking......

1) The Who - Live At Leeds.
Even in it's original one disc, 40 minute vinyl format, it's simply the greatest live record ever released, capturing The Who at the peak of their power on stage. And the more recent "deluxe" edition, including a complete performance of "Tommy" is even better.

2) Rolling Stones - Get Your Ya Ya's Out
Since it's the only official live record they made with Mick Taylor, it's gotta take the prize. This captures the "regenerated" Stones after a three year break from the road, and the confidence that, due to the decline of their rivals from Liverpool, they now held the title of "the world's greatest rock n roll band". (Though if "Brussels Affair 1973" were ever officially released, it would have to replace this one in the rankings)

3) Ac/Dc - If You Want Blood, You Got It
Bon Scott. Angus Young. The Bad Boys from Down Under at their unholy best. Damn shame this album hasn't seen a "deluxe" remastering in the digital era, because you know they had more than 40 minutes of live material for this record.

4) Cheap Trick - Live at Budokan
If this was the only album Cheap Trick ever made, it would be enough. Like "Leeds" it too has seen a digital "deluxe" remastering, but you can't go wrong with this one either the one disc or two disc version.

5) Ramones - It's Alive
The original Ramones (Joey/Dee Dee/Johnny/Tommy) rockin the best of their first three albums before a bunch of English punks in London. This was before they started hating each other and rushing through the songs (see the "Loco Live" album). Hard to believe you could only get this record as an import for decades.

FORD
09-25-2010, 01:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY9sDk6NyQY

FORD
09-25-2010, 01:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cxsgn2UzQ0

FORD
09-25-2010, 01:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qB5eQc5V20

FORD
09-25-2010, 01:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqi0rhtZSTU

FORD
09-25-2010, 01:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1oLQ55IfPA

hambon4lif
09-25-2010, 02:03 PM
:rockit:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JrZHXYowMAU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JrZHXYowMAU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

VHscraps
09-25-2010, 02:15 PM
I like all of those, Ford, and in my ideal top 5 I'd probably pick 'Live at Leeds' and 'It's Alive', but I guess I'll pick another five goodies - in no particular order:

1) Blue Oyster Cult - On Your Feet or on Your Knees
Dig that cover, too - the whole band playing guitars in front of a wall of Marshalls.

2) Lou Reed - Rock n Roll Animal
Accused by die-hard Reed fans of going 'heavy metal' - well, it's rock. Dual lead guitar work and extended instrumental workouts of the highest quality from Steve Hunter (later with DLR) and Dick Wagner - both of whom ended up in Alice Cooper's band in the mid-70s

3) UFO - Strangers in the Night
This delivered, mostly, better versions of material that was sometimes lacklustre in the studio versions. Michael Schenker is, of course, amazing on this record.

4) Motorhead - No Sleep 'til Hammersmith
Back when this came out everyone thought that Motorhead were the heaviest of the heaviest bands - but now it sounds like relentless rock'n'roll. Listen to the intro to '(We Are) The Road Crew' when Lemmy asks 'G.R.' to introduce himself. I swear, teh guy shoulda been screaming in horror movies

5) Black Oak Arkansas - Raunch n Roll Live
What a great band - the drums and guitar work are stellar. And Jim Dandy is in his prime. If you've not heard it, check out 'Hot Rod'. And the story that introduces is - 'it's Friday night, you done just got off working a hard shift ... You get in your car. It feels good. You got a lotta motor under your seat ... You roll up into your baby's driveway and you tell her one thing. You say - mama, I got a HOT ROD'

VHscraps
09-25-2010, 03:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1oLQ55IfPA

Damn! Had only ever seen snatches of this - never knew the whole show was on film. That opening sequence - as on the album - is just bam bam bam.

VHscraps
09-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Black Oak Arkansas - Jim Dandy

There used to be a better clip out there on Youtube, but it's gone. But this is okay. California Jam, April 74 - same weekend that Van Halen started playing at Gazzari's ...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PXMyKJxIL6E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PXMyKJxIL6E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

chefcraig
09-25-2010, 03:16 PM
Live albums are pretty much hit and miss affairs, usually low budget trinkets puked out when a band has hit a dry spell between studio releases. Most of them aren't truly live, as they are dressed up in the studio to fix malfunctioning guitar parts or particularly embarrassing vocals. On that basis alone, I prefer recordings that are real examples of a group in a concert setting, with all of the mistakes included. (This is why I discount the Stone's Ya-Yas album, which has so many overdubs that it might as well have been recorded in the studio. And that crowd noise you hear on Frampton Comes Alive? It all came from left over audio used on the Ladies & Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones...concert film. So here's my list, consisting of real, raw and at times astonishing performances.

1. Live At Leeds - The Who. Yup, all 4 or 5 versions of it. It still pisses me off that the bastards chose to re-release the damned thing repeatedly during the nineties, forcing you to purchase yet another expanded song list each time before finally getting around to releasing the entire show (including a complete run-through of the Tommy stage show) in 2001. Oddly enough, the six song vinyl album (including crackling noises removed on the CD versions) still sounds the best and is the most explosive.

2. James Gang Live in Concert - The James Gang. Joe Walsh's last recording with the power trio, recorded live at (of all places) Carnegie Hall, New York City. The group rips through a set that finds Walsh doubling on guitar and Hammond organ, and culminates with a nearly 20 minute version of the Yardbirds' "Lost Woman", which includes each member taking solo turns until all three end up joining in for vocals that include barnyard noises, caveman sounds and utter gibberish. This and the album that follow are two of not only the hardest rocking, but funniest live albums ever released.

3. The Shit Hits the Fans - The Replacements. This was not a bootleg, but was in fact an official release on the band's Twin Tone label in a cassette-only limited edition. The recording itself came courtesy of some guy in the audience taping the show on a portable recorder, the tape of which was confiscated by the group's sound man. It captures the notoriously drunken Replacements "performing" at an Oklahoma gig, giving up on their own material and taking requests from the audience. This results in a bizarre series of covers by B.T.O., Black Sabbath, U2, Led Zep, Skynyrd, Thin Lizzy and the Carter Family, to name but a few.

4. 11/17/70 - Elton John. Taken from a live broadcast by ABC radio, this short set featured Elton on piano, only supported by Nigel Olsson on drums and Dee Murray on bass. The show is a explosive surprise, considering the soft rock context most people expected to witness. "Burn Down The Mission" is taken at a pace that predates speed metal by over a decade, and the sound is amazingly full for such a small band. Recorded in an era well before superstardom, sunglasses and goofy, outlandish clothing, the album aptly displays John's skills as a musician, something that became an afterthought some few years later.

5. Live At Roseland Ballroom - Gov't Mule. Recorded New Years Eve (December 31, 1995 - January 1, 1996), this hard to find live album shows just how stunning the original 3-piece Mule truly were. The late bassist Allen Woody stands out, revealing what an amazing talent he was, and also how sadly he is missed. The nearly 17 minute opening track "Trane" takes a circuitous journey that includes a stop at the Grateful Dead's "St. Stephens". The band's command of the material and staggering interplay (for a group that was at the time unfairly lumped into the nebulous category of "jam band") on display is nothing short of mind blowing, and highly rewarding if you can find a copy. The album was unceremoniously re-released with a bonus track (Hendrix' "Voodoo Chile") sometime in 2007, but is still hard to come by.

VHscraps
09-25-2010, 03:26 PM
UFO - Natural Thing (from live album, Strangers in the Night)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mov0QUSF5dM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mov0QUSF5dM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

VHscraps
09-25-2010, 03:30 PM
Lou Reed - Sweet Jane (from live album, Rock'n'Roll Animal). With future DLR guitarist Steve Hunter on lead gtr

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7FdWPeHFAMk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7FdWPeHFAMk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

VHscraps
09-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Motorhead - '(We Are) The Road Crew' from No Sleep 'til Hammersmith

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DaKi4PEpLss?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DaKi4PEpLss?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

chefcraig
09-25-2010, 03:45 PM
Lou Reed - Sweet Jane (from live album, Rock'n'Roll Animal). With future DLR guitarist Steve Hunter on lead gtr

That opening piece with the Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner tag team to this day is one of my favorite instrumentals of all time. And to think it was on a Lou Reed live album, of all things!

VHscraps
09-25-2010, 03:54 PM
That opening piece with the Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner tag team to this day is one of my favorite instrumentals of all time. And to think it was on a Lou Reed live album, of all things!

Yeup. Almost the total opposite of what would be expected of him at the time, I guess - a band of top-notch musicians really on their game played extended verions of songs that were ... minimal in the original versions.

sadaist
09-25-2010, 04:02 PM
4) Cheap Trick - Live at Budokan
If this was the only album Cheap Trick ever made, it would be enough.

Nuff said.

Now where the fuck is VH - Oakland 81'?

sadaist
09-25-2010, 04:09 PM
My list:

1) Cheap Trick - Live At Budokan

2) Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive

3) Judas Priest - Priest...Live!

4) Scorpions - World Wide Live (best version of Holiday ever)

5) The Police - Live!

Honorable mention to Iron Maidens efforts & KISS obviously.

Green Manalishi
09-25-2010, 05:07 PM
^ I absolutely love UFO's Strangers In The Night ^ I still have my double vinyl release ( still in great shape ! ) , a casette tape ( autographed in

'95 by Mogg , Way , Schenker , and Raymond ) , and two CD's ( the latter re-mastered with bonus trax and original set list order )

#2 ) Aerosmith - Live ! Bootleg : Raw , killer , coked-out classic Aerosmith at their frantic best . Complete with sloppy playing and audience

participation notorious for lighting fireworks during their shows . I still have my double vinyl album ( with poster ) from 1978 , a casette tape

from the '80's , and re-mastered CD from more recent times .

#3 ) Robin Trower - Live ! Possibly the most underated guitarist ever . This particular show was recorded at Stockholm Concert Hall on Februar 3

rd. , 1975 for Swedish Broadcasting Corporation . Trowers guitar work is beautiful , flowing , and inspired . Vocalist/bassist James Dewars voice

is the most soulful of all vocalists this side of Paul Rogers . It is a perfect marriage to Trowers gutwrenching lyrics and passionate playing . How

and why this band never achieved greater fame is beyond me .

Only 7 songs comprise this album but they are quite tasty selections . Opener Too Rolling Stoned sets the pace and the mood as the Trower

Power Trio delivers . Stunning renditions of Daydream , Rock Me Baby , Lady Love , I Can't Wait Much Longer , Alethea , and album closer and

Trower showstopper A Little Bit Of Sympathy delivers the goods . My vinyl has seen better days but I got Robin Trower himself to autograph it in

1984 . I finally bought the CD this past year .

#4 ) KISS Alive ! - In this era KISS was a total live monster . This album just breathes fire , blood , sweat and intensity . KISS culled the

very best songs from each of their 3 studio albums at the time and beasted them up live . Cold Gin is my personal favorite . I can attest to the

fact that in the mid to late '70's if you were white , had long hair and too much testosterone this album was a requirement . My 1975 double

vinyl is still in pretty good shape ( still have the 4 page book insert ) , I had 2 - count 'em two 8 tracks which I wore out and a casette copy

which Gene $immon$ himself autographed in 1991 . I bought the re-mastered double CD several years ago .

#5 ) Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush - LIVE ! This is the " other " great underated power trio with a masterful guitarist at the helm .

Psychedelic - tinged but metal muscular , Frank Marino was a certified Guitar God around the time a certain EVH came around and re-wrote the

book . Much like the previously mentioned Robin Trower , Frank Marino's playing is heavily Hendrix inspired as this live album closes with a

smoking version of Purple Haze . Many of the songs are a bit too Hippy-Dippy as far as the lyrics go but the playing is top-notch . The real

show stoppers are A New Rock & Roll and the instrumental A New World Anthem complete with a mind blowing guitar solo replete with a military

air assault on guitar . Frank Marino flexes his blues muscles with killer versions of I'm A King Bee and Willie Dixon's Back Door Man .

Yep , I still have my slightly worn vinyl of this album along with a casette and the CD which I finally purchased about a year ago . There is a

disclaimer on all copies about the limitaions of space on one album so , in 1979 they released Tales Of The Unexpected which had one side

studio and one side live . In 1986 Frank Marino signed my copy of Tales Of The Unexpected .

VHscraps
09-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Okay - this is deviating a bit, but the old VH thing had to crop up eventually. Ford's Ramones clip from It's Alive got me looking at youtube, and I just wondered why there is awesome, top quality film of the Ramones at 82's Us Festival, and the VH stuff out there is extremely poor quality, like 10th generation?

Somebody's gotta have the VH stuff in this kind of pristine quality, 'cos this ain't from TV: this is from the original footage by the looks of it - as one of the comments under this clip says: for 1982, this is very good quality.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r-FWA2LEpRg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r-FWA2LEpRg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

ThrillsNSpills
09-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Michael Schenker Live at Budokan (this album goes to eleven;))

Pat Travers Go For What You Know Here to kick your ass indeed, makes the list on the strength of Mars Cowling tearing up the intro of Boom Boom alone

Yngwie Malmsteen Trial by Fire Live in Leningrad Melodic minor madness

Led Zeppelin How the West was Won Have to put this in due to Plant singing stuff in the high register . (from 2 shows in '72)

Harrison Concert for Bangla Desh This album could be awful and still deserves props for the sheer effort of pulling it off and for the cause.

Of course, the UFO and Live at Leeds, YaYa's, and James Gang, Frank Marino Live, all excellent choices . Michael Schenker Unforgiven Live is amazing as well.
Captain Obvious alert on VH Largo '82 and of course Oakland '81. And a big Hell Yeah for Hendrix Band of Gypsies as well. Beck and Jan Hammer, Stevie Ray Live, etc. etc.

basstar66
09-25-2010, 06:10 PM
1)Meat Loaf - Bat Out of Hell Live

2)Sex Pistols - The Original Pistols Live

3) RUSH- exit stage left

4) QUEEN - live killers

5) Fleetwood Mac - live

Va Beach VH Fan
09-25-2010, 06:31 PM
I love live albums... Outside of a brand new studio album, I'd much prefer listen to a live album... I love the subtle differences in the band's performances of the songs, I love the surprises that bands throw in their setlists, I love trying to pick out pyrotechnics, and most of all, I love hearing a well-mixed live album that you can really hear the crowd interacting with the band, and vice versa.....

That said, here's my Top 5:

1. Kiss - Alive! - In retrospect, simply an incredible transformation for KISS, after three very poorly selling studio albums.... My dad got me the first KISS album in '74, which was OK, but they somehow turned about a dozen very bland studio songs from those first 3 studio albums into fantastic live songs, such as "Stutter", "Parasite", "Do You Love Me" and "Deuce", which after 35 years is still arguably their best live song... Yes, we all know about the touch-ups in the studio, although I'd argue ALL live albums have to be touched up.... Whatever the reason, you could almost feel the massive pyro in "Black Diamond" or Gene spitting fire in "Firehouse".... All in all, IMO, there's not another live album that's close to this one, KISS never looked back after this....

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HQKOlD-SeUw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HQKOlD-SeUw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

2. Frampton Comes Alive - This one always leaves me scratching my head why this album became so historically well known, but it is, it's just a great listen. Outside of the three Frampton hit songs on the album, "Show Me The Way", "Baby I Love Your Way" and "Do You Feel Like We Do", it's filled with simply decent classic rock songs... I'll say this though, everytime those three songs come on, whether I'm listening to the CD or on the radio, I find myself singing along.... "Penny For Your Thoughts" is a fairly simplistic acoustic solo, but very catchy.... The "Jumping Jack Flash" cover is alright, I guess... The standard bearer, the song that sounds as good today as it did in '76 is "Do You Feel Like We Do", which IMO is one of the best live songs of all time... Holy shit, did Frampton fucking nail it live with this song.... The interaction with the crowd in the middle with the voicebox is fantastic, and the jam to the end of the song after he dismisses his voicebox is outstanding...

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y7rFYbMhcG8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y7rFYbMhcG8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

3. Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo - You have to put his politics aside and appreciate what a powerful live album this is. From "Stormtroopin'" to "Wang Dang Sweet Poontang" to "Motor City Madhouse", this is full-blown, guitar-driven hard rock and roll. I've always thought "Great White Buffalo" was his most underrated song (I realize he made it with The Amboy Dukes). And, of course, "Cat Scratch Fever", became a staple of rock stations everywhere.....

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_RMVzG7dP80?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_RMVzG7dP80?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

4. Aerosmith - Live Bootleg - As Green Manalishi said, this is simply Aerosmith at their best. When I talk to youngin's and the subject of Aerosmith comes up, I tell them toss that newer crap to the side and listen to Live Bootleg. Just one great rocking song after another, whether it's "Last Child" or "Mama Kin" or "Train Kept A Rollin'". My favorite Aerosmith live song is this version "Toys in the Attic". The popular hits of the time, "Walk This Way" and "Dream On" aren't as crisp as their studio versions, but that's what makes live albums great.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gvAz-2-unwQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gvAz-2-unwQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

5. Cheap Trick - Live at Budokan - Still one of the best. The mix with the screaming Japanese crowd is one of the best aspects of this show. On a personal level, this always brings back memories nowadays when I listen to it because I saw several bands there in the mid-80's. Not one of those albums that you'd expect to hear virtuosos on the guitar or drums, just a great show with a frenzied crowd. The live versions of "I Want You To Want Me" and "Surrender" from this show are heard on classic rock stations to this day.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-Zhul9E6arw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-Zhul9E6arw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Honorable Mention - Rush - All the World's A Stage - My first live album, funny enough my grandmother bought it for me when she went to the record store and asked some kids (great choice, huh ?). The live version of 2112 is worth the price of admission alone.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eEW2-k0EoyE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eEW2-k0EoyE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>
<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SozTRnBbTsU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SozTRnBbTsU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

VHscraps
09-25-2010, 07:38 PM
Michael Schenker Live at Budokan (this album goes to eleven;))

don't know if you know, but there was some live MSG stuff released on vinyl b-sides at the time, before the One Night at Budokan LP. Just a couple of tracks, but a lot better than the versions of the same songs on that album - recorded better, better perormance, etc.. I've been trying to find versions on MP3, etc., and lamenting the fact that I no longer have the actual fuckin records.

As I remember it, the best is a live version of 'Armed and Ready' on the b-side of (I think) 'Cry for the Nations' 12-inch single (whatever happened to them ...). Pretty sure it wasn't recorded at Budokan - probably in the UK. Cozy Powell, on drums (who joined after the first MSG album was recorded), is a monster - as he is on the second MSG album.

I'll see if I can turn it up.

ThrillsNSpills
09-25-2010, 08:05 PM
don't know if you know, but there was some live MSG stuff released on vinyl b-sides at the time, before the One Night at Budokan LP. Just a couple of tracks, but a lot better than the versions of the same songs on that album - recorded better, better perormance, etc.. I've been trying to find versions on MP3, etc., and lamenting the fact that I no longer have the actual fuckin records.

As I remember it, the best is a live version of 'Armed and Ready' on the b-side of (I think) 'Cry for the Nations' 12-inch single (whatever happened to them ...). Pretty sure it wasn't recorded at Budokan - probably in the UK. Cozy Powell, on drums (who joined after the first MSG album was recorded), is a monster - as he is on the second MSG album.

I'll see if I can turn it up.

Yes, Into the Arena and Armed and Ready are on this compilation http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1135354/a/Into+The+Arena+1972-1995.htm
and some others can be found on the recently expanded Michael Schenker Group and MSG remasters.

Both were originally on the flipside of vinyl 12" of the Ready to Rock single. Possibly the Cry for the Nations too?
I don't want to derail this great thread with this so try amazon if you want and mods kill this post if need be.
It's always great to learn stuff from everyones' knowledge on hard rock.

Mr Badguy
09-25-2010, 08:15 PM
Tough.

1) Judas priest - Unleashed in the East
2) Iron Maiden - Live After Death
3) Ki$$ - Alive!
4) Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsys
5) Pink Floyd - Is there anybody out there?

Coyote
09-25-2010, 08:16 PM
Off the top of my head...

Thin Lizzy - Live And Dangerous
UFO - Strangers...
Queen - Live In Montreal
Hanoi Rocks - All Those Wasted Years
Dokken - Beast From The East (it's a guitarist thing...)

indeedido
09-25-2010, 08:29 PM
1) Jimi Hendrix - Live at the Filmore East
2) KISS - Alive!
2.5) KISS - Alive II
3) Led Zeppelin - How the West Was Won
4) Iron Maiden - Live After Death
5) Cheap Trick - Budakhan

Honorable mention: Any future unreleased CVH live album to pop up someday.

VHscraps
09-25-2010, 08:45 PM
Yes, Into the Arena and Armed and Ready are on this compilation http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/...+1972-1995.htm
and some others can be found on the recently expanded Michael Schenker Group and MSG remasters.

thanks for the tip - I'll look for that.

I got really close-up to Schenker on one occasion after a gig in, probably 1981 - on the tour for the MSG album. He was drunk, and people were trying to stop him, basically, from doing himself any damage. I never thought it at the time, 'cos I was too young to realise, but he was obviously a very fragile character. He had an instrumental at the time, called 'Courvoisier Concerto'. When I saw him then, had a bottle of that cognac in his hand as he stumbled around.

I don't care about that all that. But what I find staggering - astonishing - is how young he was. Maybe 'cos I'm now old enough to be his father (as he was in 1981)! He was only 26 years old then, in 1981. But by then, he had made something like 4 or 6 albums already with UFO or the Scorpions, and sounded like nobody else. Maybe it's no surprise he ran off and joined the moonies.

sadaist
09-25-2010, 09:01 PM
Dokken - Beast From The East (it's a guitarist thing...)

Aww hell. Can't believe I forgot that one. Not my top 5, but top 10 probably. Great album.

Don Dokken is still a tool though. :hee:

VHscraps
09-25-2010, 09:12 PM
3. Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo - You have to put his politics aside and appreciate what a powerful live album this is. From "Stormtroopin'" to "Wang Dang Sweet Poontang" to "Motor City Madhouse", this is full-blown, guitar-driven hard rock and roll. I've always thought "Great White Buffalo" was his most underrated song (I realize he made it with The Amboy Dukes). And, of course, "Cat Scratch Fever", became a staple of rock stations everywhere.....

A guy who shoulda went into sales sold me Double Live Gonzo in about 1980. Very sneakily, and knowing what woud impress a younger dude, all he did was play me the into to 'Wang Dang Sweet Poontang' at very high volume. If you've heard the album, you'll know that there is a monologue with Nugent ending up shouting: 'anybody came her to listen to mellow music, you can turn around get the fuck out of here. Alright!?' Then going on to dedicate the next tune to all that 'Nashville pussy'. I was 16 - of course, I bought it.

But, it's hard to like the Nuge.

FORD
09-25-2010, 09:53 PM
2)Sex Pistols - The Original Pistols Live

Now there's irony for ya.... a guy with a Sid Vicious avatar, picking a live album that Glen Matlock played on. :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxfrEx8bXWU

silverfish
09-25-2010, 10:58 PM
That said, here's my Top 5:

1. Kiss - Alive!
2. Frampton Comes Alive
3. Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo
4. Aerosmith - Live Bootleg
5. Cheap Trick - Live at Budokan

Nothin' wrong with this list at all...

ELVIS
09-26-2010, 09:59 AM
Ozzy Osbourne - Speak Of The Devil

Lynyrd Skynyrd - One More From The Road

Rush - All The World's a Stage

Judas Priest - Unleashed In The East

Aerosmith - Live Bootleg

:killer:

Von Halen
09-26-2010, 11:26 AM
In no particular order:

Maiden - Live After Death
Nugent - Double Live Gonzo
REO Speedwagon - You Get What you Play For
Kiss - Alive
AC/DC - If You Want Blood

Diamondjimi
09-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Humble Pie - Rockin the Filmore
KI$$- Alive
Rush - All The World's a Stage
Deep Purple - Made in Japan
Michael Schenker - One Night At Budokan

kwame k
09-26-2010, 04:04 PM
Bob Seger and The Silver Bullet Band-Live Bullet
Another case of a Live album being better than the studio releases up to that point and was the album, like Kiss and Frampton, that put them on the national map.

The Band-The Last Waltz
OK this really is a soundtrack but this is one of my all time favorite live albums ever.......tons of famous guests and really The Band at their peak. Talk about going out while you're on top. Plus, Neil fucking Diamond jammin' with The Band! Outstanding.

The Allman Brothers Band-At Fillmore East
Duane at his very best and a band on fire! What else can you say?

Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band-Live 1975-1985
More of a Greatest Hits Live Album but what the hell, it's Bruce! I will say that nothing compares to seeing this guy live.

Johnny Cash-At Folsom Prison
The balls it took to just play whatever he wanted and speak his mind while playing at a Prison........Hello, I'm Johnny Cash!

78/84 guy
09-26-2010, 04:57 PM
1. Tribute Randy Rhoads. I don't care if Ozzy fixed his voice on some of it, the playing is awesome !!
2. Nugent Double Live Gonzo. Great White Buffalo is enough for me. And just What The Doctor Ordered still tear's my head off.
3. Thin Lizzy Live & Dangerous. Great band, great song's
4. AC/DC If You Want Blood. Riff Raff is killer, Fantastic playing
5. Frank Marino live. More Fantastic Playing
I love live cd's because that's the way music should be played !! I listen too more live shit than anything. It's hard too leave out Zep. The Song Remain's The Same. Hendrix, Band Of Gypsie's, Skynyrd, One More From The Road. & Pat Travers Go For What You Know. My list could go on forever but i'll spare you !! Did I mention Rush All The World's a Stage ??? And most of my VH & Zep. Boot's. Great thread.

Terry
09-26-2010, 05:12 PM
In no particular order:

1) Kiss Alive!

2) Deep Purple - Made In Japan

3) Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsys

4) Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous

5) Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya Yas Out

Mr. Vengeance
09-26-2010, 07:07 PM
KISS- Alive
KISS- Alive II
Rolling Stones- Get Yer Ya Yas Out
Ramones- It's Alive
James Brown- Live at the Apollo
Honorable mention to Humble Pie- Rockin' the Fillmore

Mr. Vengeance
09-26-2010, 10:15 PM
oh shit, I forgot Sabbath- Live Evil!!!!

FORD
09-26-2010, 10:52 PM
Now if only Jann Wenner (or whomever the fuck is running things at Rolling Stone these days) would read this thread and see how REAL rock n roll fans make a goddamn list. If we combined all the albums listed here into a Top 50 or Top 100 list (I haven't actually counted all the seperate nominees yet) it would be a solid fucking list (Hell, I'll even allow the Nugent nomination, because even I listened to Double Live Gonzo before I realized what a right wing douchebag he was)

Keep 'em coming. Great thread so far!

kissfan1976
09-27-2010, 08:57 AM
My 5 Picks :
1)ALIVE! - KISS
2)Made In Japan- Deep Purple
3)Double Live Gonzo - Ted Nugent
4)Live Bootleg -Aerosmith
5) If You Want Blood(You Got It)- AC/DC

Mushroom
09-27-2010, 08:12 PM
these are my favorites...

Sarah McLachlan - Mirrorball
Allman Brothers Band - the Fillmore Concerts
Rolling Stones - Get your ya ya's....
Jimi Hendrix - The Jimi Hendrix Concerts (out of print now?)
the Who - Live at Leeds

Mr Badguy
09-27-2010, 11:37 PM

I wish the estate would reissue that album.

I think there are still legal problems with the Royal Albert Hall tracks that appear on it.

ace diamond
09-28-2010, 03:08 PM
1.kiss-alive!
2.led zeppelin-how the west was won
3.aerosmith-live! Bootleg
4.the allman brothers band-live at the fillmore east
5.judas priest-unleashed in the east
6.iron maiden-live after death
7.jimi hendrix-live at woodstock
8.the who-live at leeds
9.black sabbath-live at last
10.deep purple-made in japan
11.rainbow-live on stage
i couldn't just do a top 5, so i listed my top 11.
These are not intended in any particular order.

So put 'em on and crank it up to 11!!!!!

Mushroom
09-28-2010, 05:36 PM
I was fortunate to pick up a copy of that CD back in my college days. I think the sound is great, Jimi was playing near his best if not his best.

Mr Badguy
09-28-2010, 06:14 PM
I was fortunate to pick up a copy of that CD back in my college days. I think the sound is great, Jimi was playing near his best if not his best.

The CD I've got has all the introductions from the vinyl LP cut out.

Come on, Janie, how hard can it be to rerelease it?

chefcraig
09-28-2010, 06:21 PM
these are my favorites...

I wish the estate would reissue that album.

I think there are still legal problems with the Royal Albert Hall tracks that appear on it.

Me too. I still have the vinyl of course, but never got around to finding a CD version of it. There is a neat jam with Jack Cassidy, turning the band into a four piece, and that version of "Red House" is arguably the best one ever captured.

GreenBayLA
09-29-2010, 05:50 AM
5 faves from high school
Aerosmith Live! Bootleg
UFO Strangers in the Night
KI$$ Alive
Ted Nugent Double Live Gonzo
Rush All The Worlds a Stage
+ plus a live ep
U2 Under a Blood Red Sky (b4 Bono got too annoying)

78/84 guy
09-30-2010, 06:50 PM
It's interesting the only NEW one mentioned is Zep. How The West Was One. Full Bluntal Nugity from uncle Ted is really good. Thin Lizzy Still Dangerous is great. The Stray Cats Rumble In Brixton is awesome. There are a few more out from the last 10 years that are really good. I wish Boston would release something from the Don't Look Back tour. I have the Long Beach boot that sounds ok. The bass is muddy on it but the power of the guitar's is really great.

ThrillsNSpills
09-30-2010, 09:15 PM
I found an old cassette I had of Chicago Live made in Holland so whether it's official or not I have no idea but Terry Katz tears it up on Question 67 and 68.
blows away his still great work on the Transit Authority version.

chefcraig
09-30-2010, 10:15 PM
I found an old cassette I had of Chicago Live made in Holland so whether it's official or not I have no idea but Terry Katz tears it up on Question 67 and 68.
blows away his still great work on the Transit Authority version.

I have that same album. Do you remember when you could go to a record store (like Peaches), and they would have tons of cut-out albums for about $1.99-$5.99? Many were official record company burn-offs, but a great deal of them came from imports, with something like "Classico de la Rock" as a label. I think that live Chicago album was either a radio show or some promotional gig that was bootlegged, and wound up on a label from Belgium of all places. The performance dates from around 1969 somewhere in Canada, a few years previous as that gigantic 4 or 5 record live Chicago album the band officially released in the early seventies.

Jesus Christ
09-30-2010, 10:38 PM
U2 Under a Blood Red Sky (b4 Bono got too annoying)

Verily!

How did I miss that one? That's a damn good record. Even if it is only 8 songs. And thank Dad they finally put the Red Rocks video out on DVD. Only took 'em 26 years or so..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG4jNAt70M4

ThrillsNSpills
10-02-2010, 12:40 PM
I have that same album. Do you remember when you could go to a record store (like Peaches), and they would have tons of cut-out albums for about $1.99-$5.99? Many were official record company burn-offs, but a great deal of them came from imports, with something like "Classico de la Rock" as a label. I think that live Chicago album was either a radio show or some promotional gig that was bootlegged, and wound up on a label from Belgium of all places. The performance dates from around 1969 somewhere in Canada, a few years previous as that gigantic 4 or 5 record live Chicago album the band officially released in the early seventies.

I never saw vinyl but I found the cassette versions. the Classico de la Rock label was the first time I discovered the Stones classic I'm Goin' Down. It was like mining for gold going through those sections. True, now you can search things out on the net, but the thing with these stores is discovering the hidden gems you didn't know about and you can't really do a search for things you don't know about. That was the beauty of these discount sections although there was always the chance that the recording was junk. I'd find commerical releases at the dollar store, and just buy out all the inventory and the ones that were bad I'd put something else on it.

Seriously though, Terry Kath should be a household name like Hendrix just from his blazing on this live performance. I've never seen him or what he plays but it sounds like he's playing a Les Paul or some kind of Gibson tone.

But Derringer Live should be on the Live album list also. There's a guy that chose the right performance to release on an official live album. Because of the energy level of the players, virtually all the tracks on it completely demolish the studio versions. A lot of his stuff didn't seem to pass the test of time, maybe due to the uneven quality of songs on subsequent albums.

Satan
10-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Seriously though, Terry Kath should be a household name like Hendrix just from his blazing on this live performance. I've never seen him or what he plays but it sounds like he's playing a Les Paul or some kind of Gibson tone.

According to this Terry Kath tribute page (http://www.philbrodieband.com/muso_terry_kath.htm), he was constantly experimenting with guitars, effects, etc, just trying out different sounds.......

Some could say that Terry was way ahead of his time. Even though Jimi Hendrix pretty much dominated the experimental side of rock and roll, Terry did some things that most guitarist didn't, or couldn't do in the 70's. In the early days, Terry was most seen with a Fender Stratocaster and a Gibson SG. Both of them pretty standard. Terry used his Stratocaster for a ground breaking technique in the song "Free Form Guitar" from Chicago's first album. This is no doubt an experimental piece of work (not really by today's standards) Rumor has it that Terry was messing around with different distorted effects by plugging the Strat into a Bogen PA amp, run into a Dual Showman amplifier. While not very friendly to the ears, this particular sound had never been applied to anything at the time. Terry used this effect again on "A Song For Richard And His Friends" from the Live at Carnegie Hall album. Terry also used a Gibson Les Paul guitar. I believe his model guitar was unique. This guitar had low impedance pickups, which had a line-level output that easily drove long lengths of cord and which could be plugged directly into studio equipment. For use with standard guitar amplifiers, an adapter was needed. By around 1972-73, Terry began using a very unique custom Fender Telecaster. Terry modified this guitar, and put a Gibson hum-bucking pickup, but left the bridge pickup the same. This way, Terry could switch from a Gibson guitar sound, to a Fender guitar sound with ease. This custom Telecaster was also very eye catching. With Pignose Amplifier stickers placed randomly all over, and several other logos. This was Terry's signature guitar... He would rarely be seen playing live with any other guitar for the next several years. Terry also used many many effect pedals too. Some of his best pedal works are: "25 or 6 to 4", "Lowdown", "Liberation", "It Better End Soon", "Dialogue", "Oh Thank You Great Spirit", "Takin It On Uptown", and "Italian From New York", and many more. The last piece of equipment would be Terry Pignose Amp. The company Pignose experimented with battery powered amps, and smaller and louder amps. Terry really got this company off the ground. He was basically the spokesman for Pignose

That experimentation continued after he arrived in Hell, by the way. It was a challenge for him to get a huge sound without all the echo that's all too common down here. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d010.gif

GAR
10-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Ramones in the list is stupid as fuck.

Ramones suck, their song structures are more like '50's doo-wop shit because that's how fucking old he truly was - like Ronnie Dio.

My replacement before I read any of this was Strangers in the Night - UFO. That should be Number 1 in that list.

Satan
10-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Go die and go to Heaven, GAyR.

Sincerely,

Joey, Dee Dee, and Johnny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DraO8zUSeKw

GAR
10-04-2010, 03:21 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q2eynNh5xHM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q2eynNh5xHM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

u call that punk huh -

ELVIS
10-04-2010, 11:02 AM
How 'bout the best Kinks album of all time...

http://bluestormmusic.com/store/images/kinks_liveatkelvinhall.jpg

:elvis:

Igosplut
10-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Is this the "Top live" of all time, or my/each persons top five?

Mr Badguy
10-04-2010, 04:32 PM

Take your picks, my man.

It's a free-for-all.

Big Troubles
10-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Kiss Alive
Ted Nugent G Gonzo
Scorpions W W Live

i dunno...?

binnie
10-04-2010, 06:01 PM
In no order:

Iggy & the Stooges - Metallic KO

Aerosmith - Live Bootleg

Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsies

Judas Priest - unleashed In the East

Slayer - Decade of Aggression

FORD
10-05-2010, 12:21 AM

Whatever you think are the five greatest "official" live albums ever made. Not based on any survey or media list. Just the opinions of real goddamn rock n roll fans.

Diamondjimi
10-05-2010, 12:49 AM
Forgot about this one...

http://www.metalkingdom.net/album/img/d40/1589.jpg

Cato
10-05-2010, 01:43 AM
My Top Three

Beck Bogert & Appice - Live in Japan
Grand Funk Railroad - Caught in the Act
Johhny Winter - Captured Live

ashstralia
10-12-2010, 06:13 AM
honourable mentions...

hot august night
faith no more live at the brixton

ODShowtime
10-12-2010, 09:57 PM
The Who - Live at Leeds
The Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya Ya's Out
Rush - Exit Stage Left
Kiss - Alive
Led Zeppelin - How the West Was Won

honorable mentions include Rockin' the Fillmore, Europe '72, Live and Dangerous, 101 Proof, Fandango, Live Bootleg, Alive II, Love You Live, Past Lives, The Song Remains the Same, Sly and the Family Stone's Woodstock Experience, Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock, Stages, Soundtrack to Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, All the Worlds a Stage, One from the Vault, the whole Montery Pop Festival... FUCK I can't believe there isn't a Van Halen album in there. What bullshit!

Dave's Bitch
10-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Guns N Roses - Live Era
Kiss - Alive
Kiss - Alive II
Judas Priest - Priest...Live!
Judas Priest - Unleashed In The East

vaijuju
10-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Very hard only five

Not in order

Scorpions Tokio Tapes
Hendrix Band of gypsys
Blue Oyster Cult E.T.I
Deep Purple made in Japan
For the Fun, Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush live (1978) with a beautiful cover of purple haze

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QL0IbQ2ltC0?fs=1&amp;hl=fr_FR"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QL0IbQ2ltC0?fs=1&amp;hl=fr_FR" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

VHscraps
10-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Couple of people - incl. me - mentioned Blue Oyster Cult. Here's a good clip from '81 of E.T.I. Note Buck's guitar - I had forgotten all about this mongrel instrument. I did some searching on Google to see if I could find out what it was - turns out that they had a luthier make several of these, which they figured as a half Flying V- half Explorer. Any guitar heads out there seen these being played by anyone else?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZAi1mIHb2FU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZAi1mIHb2FU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

vaijuju
10-16-2010, 06:38 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nrd2xf5DIlU?fs=1&amp;hl=fr_FR"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nrd2xf5DIlU?fs=1&amp;hl=fr_FR" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

great Live album ETI veteran of the psychic wars / Blue oyster cult

FORD
10-16-2010, 08:16 PM
honorable mentions include Europe '72, One from the Vault...

Hard to narrow it down to just one Dead album, ain't it? Even when you just stick to official releases, they had a dozen or so even before the Dick's Picks series and the more recent Arista archival releases. For me it's probably a tie between Europe 72 and the album which preceded it, unofficially named "Skullfuck" by the Dead themselves. I usually just play them back to back as a three-CD set. (It would be a 5 disc album if I had it on vinyl)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wSe658W_SU

FUCK I can't believe there isn't a Van Halen album in there. What bullshit![/QUOTE]

FORD
10-16-2010, 08:16 PM
honorable mentions include Europe '72, One from the Vault...

Hard to narrow it down to just one Dead album, ain't it? Even when you just stick to official releases, they had a dozen or so even before the Dick's Picks series and the more recent Arista archival releases. For me it's probably a tie between Europe 72 and the album which preceded it, unofficially named "Skullfuck" by the Dead themselves. I usually just play them back to back as a three-CD set. (It would be a 5 disc album if I had it on vinyl)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wSe658W_SU

rockhead
10-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Iron Maiden - Live After Death

ELVIS
10-18-2010, 09:31 AM

You can leave the Dead, out of this thread™...

The Dead have a couple good songs but they don't play very well in the studio or live...

Their live crap sounds even more like a tired old loungemachine act...

:biggrin:

Jesus Christ
10-18-2010, 09:51 AM
Thou art speaking blasphemy, Gregory! The Grateful Dead were an excellent live band. They were so good that even I, the Son of Man, was tempted to sing along with Jerry to "Friend of the Devil" :jesuslol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJhJNho9gM4

chefcraig
10-18-2010, 09:55 AM
You can leave the Dead, out of this thread™...

The Dead have a couple good songs but they don't play very well in the studio or live...

:biggrin:

Agreed, and all those drugs they took prevented them from getting any better over the years. The whole phenomenon is just like getting blasted while playing in or listening to a garage band one evening. At the time, it sounds extraordinary, until you hear a recording of what took place the next day when you are sober and cringe, then in a state of embarrassment begin questioning just what all the fuss was about.

ELVIS
10-18-2010, 10:29 AM
LMAO!

:elvis:

FORD
10-18-2010, 12:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8w4XLCRu3g

Can't play live? My ass :biggrin:

ELVIS
10-18-2010, 04:58 PM
Dude, that isn't very good...

FORD
10-22-2010, 12:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNvlLRRodYs

Kristy
10-25-2010, 12:13 PM
Some that come to mind would be for me

Little Feat - 'Waiting For Columbus'

The Who - 'Live At Leeds'

Iggy & The Stooges - 'Live At The Whiskey A Go Go'

The Fuzztones - 'Live In Europe'

X - 'Live In Los Angeles'

VHscraps
10-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Some of you might think that this is stretching the meaning of 'official live album', but The Beatles Live at the Star Club, Hamburg 1962 - which I forgot all about when I picked my five (earlier in this thread). Okay, to the Beatles it was not official - but, on the other hand, it was legally for sale in all normal record stores (Tower Records, etc.) and still is - although these are probably now online stores.

So, not - strictly speaking - a bootleg (the Beatles just never owned the copyright on the tapes, which were made with their knowledge by the owner of the Star Club). Take this, for example - kick ass for 1962:

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/plTFBX0Ni0U&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/plTFBX0Ni0U&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

If I posted this elsewhere when I was inebriated, apologies. But it is so good that it should be heard more than once anyway.

ELVIS
10-25-2010, 01:46 PM
It's not all that...

ODShowtime
10-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Hard to narrow it down to just one Dead album, ain't it? Even when you just stick to official releases, they had a dozen or so even before the Dick's Picks series and the more recent Arista archival releases. For me it's probably a tie between Europe 72 and the album which preceded it, unofficially named "Skullfuck" by the Dead themselves. )

I always forget about that one. "Grateful Dead"

I always hated "Mama Tried" until I heard that version. Now I love it.

ODShowtime
10-25-2010, 06:22 PM
"You can leave the Dead, out of this thread™..."

And you can kiss my balls. You're out of your element here, just like you are in the political threads.

GreenBayLA
10-25-2010, 08:54 PM
Here you go Kristy
I saw Exene do an acoustic show promoting photo book she co-authored. She still has good pipes.

FORD
10-25-2010, 10:56 PM
I always forget about that one. "Grateful Dead"

I always hated "Mama Tried" until I heard that version. Now I love it.

Yeah, no offense to Merle Haggard, but the Dead pretty much claimed that song as their own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEizEzCI2Gk

78/84 guy
10-29-2010, 10:56 PM
The couple of Johnny Winter live albums should be mentioned. Great jamming on them. Get Your Ya Ya's Out is great to with Mick Taylor. Maybe the best Stone's player ever.

78/84 guy
10-29-2010, 11:02 PM
Some of you might think that this is stretching the meaning of 'official live album', but The Beatles Live at the Star Club, Hamburg 1962 - which I forgot all about when I picked my five (earlier in this thread). Okay, to the Beatles it was not official - but, on the other hand, it was legally for sale in all normal record stores (Tower Records, etc.) and still is - although these are probably now online stores.

So, not - strictly speaking - a bootleg (the Beatles just never owned the copyright on the tapes, which were made with their knowledge by the owner of the Star Club). Take this, for example - kick ass for 1962:

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/plTFBX0Ni0U&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/plTFBX0Ni0U&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height=""></embed></object>

If I posted this elsewhere when I was inebriated, apologies. But it is so good that it should be heard more than once anyway. That is pretty cool. Too bad the tours ended years before they broke up. Love the stuff playing on the roof on Let It Be.

VHscraps
11-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Another great live album I forgot about - J.Geils Band 'Blow Your Face Out' - released 1976. Can't find any clips from that, but there's this - from '79 - which gives you a good sense of how awesome they were live

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iRezwP_znTc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iRezwP_znTc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

78/84 guy
11-13-2010, 08:52 PM
I listened too Is There Anybody Out There ? from the Floyd Wall tour. I think it sounds better than the studio album at this point. But I love live album's more than studio. Would love a dvd of this tour !!!