PDA

View Full Version : Operation Dark Heart

hambon4lif
09-27-2010, 07:39 PM
Publisher Destroys First Edition of US Spy Memoir
(AFP) – 5 hours ago

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon said on Monday a publisher has destroyed nearly 10,000 copies of a spy memoir by a former army officer in Afghanistan after officials charged it exposed US military secrets.

With Pentagon representatives looking on, St. Martin's Press pulped the first print run of "Operation Dark Heart" a week ago and has released a revised version in a deal with the US government.

"There were approximately 9,500 copies of the book that contained classified information that the department entered into an agreement with the publisher to destroy," Pentagon spokesman Colonel Dave Lapan told reporters.

"The publisher conducted that destruction a week ago on Monday the 20th, with DoD (Department of Defense) observers there to witness it."

The US government, in an unusual move, reimbursed the publisher for the cost of the first printing as military officials had initially approved the manuscript for publication.

The pulped books were sent for recycling but it remained unclear how many electronic versions of the first edition were still circulating, as reviewers had been sent copies of the memoir.

"There's no way of telling how many electronic versions of the book that might be out there," Lapan said.

In the memoir, titled "Operation Dark Heart: Spycraft and Special Ops on the Frontlines of Afghanistan -- and the Path to Victory," the author, Anthony Shaffer, a lieutenant colonel in the army reserve and former Defense Intelligence Agency officer, recounts his five-month stint in Afghanistan in 2003.

The text of the latest edition was altered where agreement could be reached and when the two sides disagreed, the disputed text is blacked out, the Shaffer's lawyer told AFP earlier this month.

The author, who was decorated for his service in Afghanistan, condemned the Pentagon's move, saying he had taken care not to reveal classified information.

"The whole premise smacks of retaliation. Someone buying 10,000 books to suppress a story in this digital age is ludicrous," he told CNN television.

The dispute over the book underscores a tough line by President Barack Obama's administration over alleged leaks of sensitive information, with authorities pursuing several prosecutions.

The book's title reportedly refers to the name of a 2003 plan to go after several operational bases used by Afghan Taliban insurgents in neighboring Pakistan.

But because the operation would have required attacking the Taliban in Pakistan, the plan was called off, a decision that angered the author.

The book's release comes as Pakistan issued a strong protest Monday over strikes last week by NATO helicopters on Pakistani territory near the Afghan border.

But the alliance-led force defended its operations, saying foreign troops had the right to defend themselves.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jjkk4AHx5ms1XuiOkA6cRtGjynyw

FORD
09-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Let's hope a digital copy of this turns up soon. And if I get my hands on one, I plan on distributing it as widely as possible.

hambon4lif
09-28-2010, 12:18 AM
Why buy this fucking book after what they've done to it?...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1eqlhIHx6-4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1eqlhIHx6-4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

unbelievable!

FORD
09-28-2010, 02:32 AM
No, I mean the original version. I've heard some electronic copies were issued to amazon.com or some other sites that sell electronic book files for "kindle" type devices. Even if Amazon or whomever never actually put them online for sale, if the digital file was sent out, some people have got to have it. Hopefully one of those people will do their patriotic duty and leak the fucking thing.

Or the author himself could leak it, though he would probably spend the rest of his life with a BCE/military industrial complex bullseye on his back, if he did.

hambon4lif
09-28-2010, 03:45 AM
All attempts to download the 1st edition have been unsuccessful so far, even on BlackBox, and I've usually had no problem with them in the past. For some reason, this file either freezes or shuts down entirely.

Here's what I find truly bizarre...what's behind those blackened paragraphs in the censored version is not much different than what was conveniently left out of the "9/11 (C)ommision Report" and it's also not much different than what Able Danger taught us, that Atta and the rest of the hijackers were seen as threats as far back as 1999-2000.

Why are they so damn afraid of us finding out something that we already know? Are they that clueless? Or do they think we are?

It's bad enough they censored the living shit out of it, but now, with the taxpayers money, the Pentagon buy up all the 1st editions of this book in order to burn them. I seem to recall a few weeks back an inbred bigot hick in Florida catching hell for threatening to do the exact same thing. Apparently there's a rule as to what books you can or can't burn and nobody told me about it.

Somebody will either do their "patriotic duty" and release the un-butchered version, or the truth will present itself all on its own. Either way, the liars are living on borrowed time.

BigBadBrian
09-28-2010, 05:28 AM
This guy and the wikileaks guy should both be executed!

http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/fsquad5.jpg

FORD
09-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Execute someone for telling the truth about the fascist corruption being concealed from the American people?

Darth Cheney? Is that you?

Mushroom
09-29-2010, 01:55 AM
Let's hope a digital copy of this turns up soon. And if I get my hands on one, I plan on distributing it as widely as possible.

But what could that accomplish? I say be careful what you ask for.

What kind of damning evidence are you looking for? More than we already “know”? Confirmation of some conspiracy theory? Confirmation that Bush knew Iraq had no WMD, but that Cheney decided to invade and continue our military industrial complex? Ties to Wall Street? Ties to oil? Resources? Jews?

This could be as incendiary as burning the Koran. What if the real dirt included other possible abu ghraib or guantanamo scandals? Or confirmation that oops, we did bomb that civilian wedding party in Pakistan. Those might be skeletons better left in the closet..