PDA

View Full Version : "green" bags too loud? wtf ?!

PETE'S BROTHER
10-05-2010, 03:56 PM
NEW YORK – Frito-Lay hopes to quiet complaints about its noisy SunChips bags by switching out the biodegradable bags for the old packaging on most flavors.
The company is switching back to original packaging, which is made of a type of plastic, for five of the six varieties of the chips. It will keep the biodegradable and recyclable bags for its sixth variety, its original plain flavor. That's its second best-selling, after Harvest Cheddar.
The snack maker said the switch started in the middle of September and should be complete by middle to late October.
The bags were launched in April 2009 with a big marketing effort to play up their compostability because they're made from plants and not plastic.
But that which makes them compostable also makes them loud. The bags have a different molecular structure from the original packaging, and they're stiffer. So people complained about the noise. Groups on Facebook abound with names such as "I wanted SunChips but my roommate was sleeping..." and "Nothing is louder than a SunChips bag."
Spokeswoman Aurora Gonzalez said the company received complaints about the noise from the bags, although it also received thanks from customers who liked being able to recycle them.
So the decision was made to remove the bulk of the biodegradable line.
"We need to listen to our consumers," she said. "We clearly heard their feedback."
Frito-Lay, a unit of PepsiCo Inc., based in Purchase, N.Y., is developing its next generation of biodegradable bags and will use what it learned with the SunChips effort, she said.
More and more companies are trying to develop sustainable packaging, not just to save on costs but because it's what shoppers want, said Bob Stolmeier, business development manager for Zip-Pak, who works with companies to create packaging. But there's a limit to how much shoppers will sacrifice in the name of sustainability, and apparently noise is one of the sore spots.
"There's no reason to offer solutions that the market would not accept," he said.

chefcraig
10-05-2010, 04:53 PM
So much for saving the planet. This makes about as much sense as people that move next door to an airport, then complain about planes flying overhead.

Anonymous
10-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Saving the planet & being environmentally conscious, like being aware of global warming & discussing how everybody should do their part to stop it is way, way cool.

Unless...

You actually have to DO something.

"Yeah, I wanna save the planet. But not if the price to pay is, like, eating chips out of a loud bag. That's so totally not worth it."

Cheers! :bottle:

indeedido
10-05-2010, 06:25 PM
I was at the store on Sunday on the chip isle, and the guy was stocking these chips. I was talking to my wife thinking fuck this is loud. The longer I stood there the more angry I got. I figured out why, because it was so fucking loud I was getting the major irritabilities. I'm sure a green package could also be quiet. If we can put a man on the moon, we can make a quiet green package.

Dan
10-05-2010, 07:11 PM
You Guys Never Put A Man On The Moon.:bottle:

chefcraig
10-05-2010, 07:16 PM
You Guys Never Put A Man On The Moon.:bottle:

I saw that FOX special too, but Myth Busters (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mythbusters+moon+hoax+full+ep isode&aq=0) proved that we indeed did land on the moon. Although the film Capricorn One did make you wonder a bit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhLHAKoK35w

Dan
10-05-2010, 07:23 PM
How Dare They.:D

Anonymous
10-05-2010, 08:46 PM
I saw that FOX special too, but Myth Busters (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mythbusters+moon+hoax+full+ep isode&aq=0) proved that we indeed did land on the moon.

Please Chef, not you too. You mean to tell me that something on TV proved that something on TV was true?

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?55870-Mythbusters-Moon-Landing&p=1367969&viewfull=1#post1367969

Bullshit, all of it.

chefcraig
10-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Please Chef, not you too. You mean to tell me that something on TV proved that something on TV was true?

It has been written that the fine points of subtle sarcasm are lost on the internet. Sadly, this is yet another example of it. It used to be said that people should believe none of what they hear and half of what they see, but this was said before the advent of television. Nowadays, I tend to believe in just about nothing.

Dan
10-05-2010, 09:17 PM
It has been written that the fine points of subtle sarcasm are lost on the internet. Sadly, this is yet another example of it. It used to be said that people should believe none of what they hear and half of what they see, but this was said before the advent of television. Nowadays, I tend to believe in just about nothing.

Journey - Don't Stop Believing (Live):D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=barLaHrtvoM

ashstralia
10-06-2010, 04:31 AM
come on, people, loud fucking bags????
this is a joke, right?

you americano's make the loudest EVERYTHING!!!

fryingdutchman
10-06-2010, 06:14 AM
Saving the planet & being environmentally conscious, like being aware of global warming & discussing how everybody should do their part to stop it is way, way cool.

Unless...

You actually have to DO something.

"Yeah, I wanna save the planet. But not if the price to pay is, like, eating chips out of a loud bag. That's so totally not worth it."

Spot on, Imapus.

It just goes to show you where people's priorities are. Personal comfort and convenience will always take precedence over saving the earth.

In all aspects of life, it's the "me first, and everybody and everything else second (or 3rd or 4th)" attitude that will end up fucking all of us.

Anonymous
10-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Thing is, I wouldn't mind losing a few privileges if I knew it actually amounted for something. But more often than not, all your efforts are in vain. You can use all known tricks to save water in your household, but what you save in a year, at the expense of your time & convenience will be wasted in 5 minutes on some poorly planned mega-agricultural operation.

Nowadays, we have better systems to water the crops & fields, but the old ones waste around 90% of the water & they're still in use in over 70% of the fields around the world. THAT is where the difference is - not in a water bottle inside your toilet tank.

Plus, there's no real guarantee that we're the cause of all these changes in our planet. We simply do not & probably never will have enough data to predict & understand all the major changes that might very well be natural & needed changes.

So yeah, it pisses me off both ways. The inane chatter about "doing our part to save the planet" from people who watch too much TV & don't take the time to think for themselves & the refusal of those same people to do anything that requires some effort on their part. Like eating chips from a noisy bag.

Nitro Express
10-06-2010, 11:00 AM
It's easy to make green products. Just get some green spray paint and paint them green.

ELVIS
10-06-2010, 11:01 AM
They should make bags that laugh at your fat ass for eating chips...

Anonymous
10-06-2010, 11:01 AM

There is one thing as too subtle, ya know Chef? I reread your post & I still don't see any sarcasm in there. I think the problem is the follow-up sentence about the capricorn thingy. It seems to lend credence to your stating that the MythBusters dispelled all your doubts about the moon landing.

Seriously, that episode is completely retarded. It doesn't prove anything & if anything, it just helps torefute what they're trying to prove right in the first place.

So I guess that anyone actually believing in the moon landing should refrain from mentioning that particular episode to someone who doesn't believe.

ELVIS
10-06-2010, 11:04 AM
People landed on the moon, retard...

PETE'S BROTHER
10-06-2010, 11:08 AM
our moon?:hee:

Anonymous
10-06-2010, 11:11 AM
People landed on the moon, retard...

Quiet, you. There is no moon because there is no space. Up there is Heaven, isn't that what your bible says? Are you being sacrilegious? You're going to HELL for that one.

Oh yeah & according to your book, the SUN rotates around the Earth. There's so many plot holes in the bible it's not even funny. I guess that's why they call it the "holy" bible. :)

Arsehole.

ELVIS
10-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Oh yeah & according to your book, the SUN rotates around the Earth.

Did you read that on the internet also ??

Nitro Express
10-06-2010, 11:32 AM
If it was all a hoax how in the hell do you keep the it covered up? Plus, the Russians with their vast spy network would certainly expose the fraud.

Nitro Express
10-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Quiet, you. There is no moon because there is no space. Up there is Heaven, isn't that what your bible says? Are you being sacrilegious? You're going to HELL for that one.

Oh yeah & according to your book, the SUN rotates around the Earth. There's so many plot holes in the bible it's not even funny. I guess that's why they call it the "holy" bible. :)

Arsehole.

Quote the chapter and verse in the bible where it exactly says that. You are mixing the bible up with old Catholic dogma where that particular church taught that the sun revolved around earth. I doubt Elvis is Catholic.

ELVIS
10-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Nope...

Anonymous
10-06-2010, 11:48 AM
If it was all a hoax how in the hell do you keep the it covered up? Plus, the Russians with their vast spy network would certainly expose the fraud.

If I knew why or how the powers that be deliver their hoaxes & cuntspiracy theories to keep us occupied, I'd be one of them.

So either way, I can't answer that.

Quote the chapter and verse in the bible where it exactly says that. You are mixing the bible up with old Catholic dogma where that particular church taught that the sun revolved around earth. I doubt Elvis is Catholic.

Catholic, Christian, Trekkie, Trekker, Vegetarian, Vegan... do you people really believe that anyone else gives a fuck what you call yourselves? You're the only ones who differentiate. Anyone not interested in all that bullshit will simply pile you up with the other loonies.

Just so you know, to me, catholics - or christians, whatever the fuck - are the exact same type of loonies as those tower topplers.

Arguing minor differences in belief does not override the fact that you're all way past the imaginary friend phase, yet you still hold on to it & try to kill & maim those of us who don't.

ELVIS
10-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Religion didn't topple the towers, politics did...

Nitro Express
10-06-2010, 12:08 PM
If I knew why or how the powers that be deliver their hoaxes & cuntspiracy theories to keep us occupied, I'd be one of them.

So either way, I can't answer that.

Catholic, Christian, Trekkie, Trekker, Vegetarian, Vegan... do you people really believe that anyone else gives a fuck what you call yourselves? You're the only ones who differentiate. Anyone not interested in all that bullshit will simply pile you up with the other loonies.

Just so you know, to me, catholics - or christians, whatever the fuck - are the exact same type of loonies as those tower topplers.

Arguing minor differences in belief does not override the fact that you're all way past the imaginary friend phase, yet you still hold on to it & try to kill & maim those of us who don't.

Not only didn't you answer that, you didn't answer anything.

Nitro Express
10-06-2010, 12:11 PM

Organized religion is some ways has always been used as a population herding tool. That being said, it's not necessarily a good thing to throw the baby out with the bath water. You need freedom of religion but you don't need a state religion and that is why the US Constitution prohibits such. I mean if you want to say all the Christians and Muslims are evil then you can have a reverse witch hunt as well.

chefcraig
10-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Yep...

"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings."

William Shakespeare - Julius Caesar (I, ii, 140-141)

The line was also quoted in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country by General Chang, and when it comes to war, Klingons know their shit.

Anonymous
10-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Not only didn't you answer that, you didn't answer anything.

You said that I was wrong because that wasn't on the bible, it was a doctrine of a branch of a religion from which the bible is the, uh... well, the Bible.

So, ok, I'm wrong about that.

But the point I tried to make is that I don't care if I'm wrong about that particular piece of trivia because it belongs in the loony bin with the rest of religious matters, bible included.

In fact, misquoting something from the bible is the exact same thing as misquoting something from comics. So what if Batman said it instead of Superman?

Anonymous
10-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Organized religion is some ways has always been used as a population herding tool. That being said, it's not necessarily a good thing to throw the baby out with the bath water. You need freedom of religion but you don't need a state religion and that is why the US Constitution prohibits such. I mean if you want to say all the Christians and Muslims are evil then you can have a reverse witch hunt as well.

I have to agree 100% with this. For all my hatred of religion, I'm not campaign to prohibit it, rather to prohibit religious nuts making decisions involving human lives based on their own misguided beliefs.

You MUST be free to worship whatever you want. God, Odin, your wife's feet, Batman, Cindy Crawford, fuckingbunnyrabbitsandlittlebuppies, I don't care. Go with it.

But stop trying to shove it down everyone else's throats, please.

Personal faith is just that. It should not hinder other people's freedom.

ELVIS
10-06-2010, 01:39 PM
Who is trying to shove anything down everyone's throat ??

Your problem is that you seem to have your mind made up about things you prove to know nothing whatsoever about...

:elvis:

Anonymous
10-06-2010, 02:33 PM
What don't I know about? In this thread, I mean.

ELVIS
10-06-2010, 02:39 PM
The Bible, for one...

Anonymous
10-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Ok, I've admitted I was wrong in saying that the stuff about the Sun revolving around the Earth was in the bible.

But my point is that mostly everything in the religions related to the bible has been proven to be nothing but fantasies, much like Lord of the Rings.

I shan't quote the bible again, don't you worry.

ELVIS
10-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Proven by whom ??

FORD
10-06-2010, 06:24 PM
As far as commercially available junk food chips go, Sun Chips are probably the "healthiest". Multi-grain, not greasy, not horribly over-salted like so many potato chips are. Who really gives a fuck about the noise the bag makes? I'm not buying this story. I think the petroleum based plastic industry is leaning on Frito Lay here, much like the corporate agriculture high fructose corn poison makers were leaning on Pepsi & Dr. Pepper to NOT make their recent "throwback" product lines (with actual sugar) permanent additions to their product line.

ashstralia
10-06-2010, 10:09 PM
see if you can find these. very yummy, and about as 'healthy' as chips get. :)

http://www.ajitas.com/

FORD
10-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Haven't seen that particular brand in the States, but their veggie chips look similar to these: http://www.terrachips.com/

I don't eat a lot of chips these days, but when I do, it's usually Terra or something similar to that.

Little Texan
10-06-2010, 10:44 PM
When I saw this thread yesterday, I wondered what the big deal was about the bags being a little loud if they're biodegradable. A trip to the grocery store last night changed my perspective on this. I checked out the bags in question to see what the fuss was about, and I have to say, the gripe about the bags is legitimate! I really had no idea how LOUD these bags are! I mean, they are REALLY FUCKING LOUD! I think it's cool as shit that the bags are compostable, but they need to find a way to make compostable bags that are a bit more quiet, because these bags are disruptively loud.

Little Texan
10-06-2010, 10:51 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HRWelTDdHJM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HRWelTDdHJM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Nitro Express
10-07-2010, 02:29 AM
I have to agree 100% with this. For all my hatred of religion, I'm not campaign to prohibit it, rather to prohibit religious nuts making decisions involving human lives based on their own misguided beliefs.

You MUST be free to worship whatever you want. God, Odin, your wife's feet, Batman, Cindy Crawford, fuckingbunnyrabbitsandlittlebuppies, I don't care. Go with it.

But stop trying to shove it down everyone else's throats, please.

Personal faith is just that. It should not hinder other people's freedom.

Exactly. If the state makes certain religions illegal because they are annoying where does it stop? What are they going to go after next? I think the founders of the United States set up a pretty good system because the Constitution gives most the power to the individual states and of course each part of the country is different. So pick a place that suits your lifestyle. I like the diversity of the system and Benjamin Franklin once said a democracy is two wolves deciding on what's for dinner so you have some general human rights spelled out to go by to tame the voting majority. If it gets too far out of hand then you have the Judicial branch to hold it up to the Constitution and see if any one groups constitutional given rights have been infringed. There is a check and balance on everything so you have freedom but also the protection of your individual rights even if they are unpopular with the voting majority. Of course the system isn't perfect but it's realistically about as good as it can be made.

ashstralia
10-07-2010, 09:55 AM
smith's crisps are also very good,
but loaded with fat and salt...http://www.smiths.com.au/brands/smiths.htm

PETE'S BROTHER
10-07-2010, 11:16 AM
When I saw this thread yesterday, I wondered what the big deal was about the bags being a little loud if they're biodegradable. A trip to the grocery store last night changed my perspective on this. I checked out the bags in question to see what the fuss was about, and I have to say, the gripe about the bags is legitimate! I really had no idea how LOUD these bags are! I mean, they are REALLY FUCKING LOUD! I think it's cool as shit that the bags are compostable, but they need to find a way to make compostable bags that are a bit more quiet, because these bags are disruptively loud.

really? so loud that you were disrupted? am i missin' some subtle chefcraig sarcasm here?:umm:

Igosplut
10-07-2010, 11:51 AM
smith's crisps are also very good,
but loaded with fat and salt...http://www.smiths.com.au/brands/smiths.htm

Heaven fuckin forbid they'd eat anything loud....Like an apple....

ELVIS
10-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Just eat some Wheat Thins® and Triscuts® and STFU!

:elvis:

PETE'S BROTHER
10-07-2010, 02:17 PM
just make the bio-bags mandatory! a company finally shows drive for a product that won't harm the planet and they had to pull them off the shelves?! what are people gonna do, stop buyin' bagged chips? they gonna smuggle plasticy foil bags in the country? then we can have a czar for the war against illegal contraband bce petrol bags. these bags should have been a turning point in bio-packaging, they should just staple some ear plugs to the bags for the whiny fucks!!!

ELVIS
10-07-2010, 02:37 PM
How 'bout 'bring your own bag' ??

PETE'S BROTHER
10-07-2010, 02:49 PM
filled up from massive chip bins at the store, fuck yeah!!

chefcraig
10-07-2010, 03:08 PM

I despise that "fill it yourself" concept. For one reason or another, nitwits tend to use their bare hands instead of the supplied scoops when filling bags from a bin. This might be okay for coffee beans that are going to get boiled anyway, but how do you rinse off potato chips without turning them into a soggy mess?

PETE'S BROTHER
10-07-2010, 03:14 PM
I despise that "fill it yourself" concept. For one reason or another, nitwits tend to use their bare hands instead of the supplied scoops when filling bags from a bin. This might be okay for coffee beans that are going to get boiled anyway, but how do you rinse off potato chips without turning them into a soggy mess?

no, they dispense straight down, like the plastic cereal dispensers in the hotel lobby.

PETE'S BROTHER
10-07-2010, 03:15 PM
you really boil coffee beans?

chefcraig
10-07-2010, 03:44 PM
no, they dispense straight down, like the plastic cereal dispensers in the hotel lobby.

The ones at Whole Foods did not, they were merely plastic bins a little larger than a shoe box, that had a huge dispenser behind them. Perhaps they have changed, as I have not gone near that aisle in years.

you really boil coffee beans?

Nah, my ex-wife would grind the hell out of them. She also used to get pissed at me for using the grinder to clean pot with. It was a great deal easier than cleaning the seeds on an album cover.

PETE'S BROTHER
10-07-2010, 03:49 PM
The ones at Whole Foods did not, they were merely plastic bins a little larger than a shoe box, that had a huge dispenser behind them. Perhaps they have changed, as I have not gone near that aisle in years.

Nah, my ex-wife would grind the hell out of them. She also used to get pissed at me for using the grinder to clean pot with. It was a great deal easier than cleaning the seeds on an album cover.

horrible design they had then. i love the little wooden twisty grinder box i have for preppin' smoke.

Dan
10-07-2010, 07:09 PM
How 'bout 'bring your own ball bags' ??

How Fucking Rude.:D

ELVIS
10-07-2010, 07:22 PM
Is that all you got ??

Dan
10-07-2010, 07:27 PM
No,I Have More To Come.:D

Anonymous
10-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Hey now!

C-c-c-c-c-c-c-careful Dan... Don't be dirteh!

Dan
10-09-2010, 02:02 AM
Hey Now,Just Having Some Fun.:D

Little Texan
10-09-2010, 04:51 AM
really? so loud that you were disrupted? am i missin' some subtle chefcraig sarcasm here?:umm:

You have obviously never handled one of those bags or your thinking would be different. Hey, I'm all for green, biodegradable bags and all and think it's a cool idea, but only as long as they can produce bags that aren't so annoyingly loud as these bags are. I challenge you to go down to your nearest supermarket in Phoenix and handle one of these bags and tell me that they aren't the loudest fucking bags on the planet. And yes, they are so loud as to be potentially disruptive, no sarcasm there.

ashstralia
10-09-2010, 07:31 AM
Heaven fuckin forbid they'd eat anything loud....Like an apple....

but apples are not normally beerfood, igo. :biggrin:

PETE'S BROTHER
10-09-2010, 10:52 AM
You have obviously never handled one of those bags or your thinking would be different. Hey, I'm all for green, biodegradable bags and all and think it's a cool idea, but only as long as they can produce bags that aren't so annoyingly loud as these bags are. I challenge you to go down to your nearest supermarket in Phoenix and handle one of these bags and tell me that they aren't the loudest fucking bags on the planet. And yes, they are so loud as to be potentially disruptive, no sarcasm there.

consider the guantlet picked up, and i will report on the morrow.

FORD
10-09-2010, 03:12 PM

Wouldn't work with something like chips. They go stale pretty damn fast. The bulk bins would have to be vacuum sealed, which means you would have to have some sort of mini "air lock" just to be able to get chips out of the fucking things without breaking the seal on the whole bin. Which might be OK if you were installing it on the space shuttle, but it's a little expensive for the local supermarket.

PETE'S BROTHER
10-09-2010, 03:17 PM
what if it was just a 5 gallon bucket size bin, and they refilled it a coupla times a day when necessary with a nice new vacuum sealed, very quiet cardboard box.

PETE'S BROTHER
02-24-2011, 05:11 PM
fast forward to the future....

BOCA RATON, Fla. – Frito-Lay hopes to make some big noise with a quieter version of its biodegradable SunChips bag.
The company introduced a biodegradable bag for the snacks in April of 2009 with a big marketing effort to play up its environmentally friendly nature as it was made from plants and not plastic and could break down in compost.

PETE'S BROTHER
02-24-2011, 05:14 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_sunchips_quieter_bag;_ylt=AhjquRuIIFJ5UpvXV1qfI ISs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNyMmJjZmJnBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTEwM jI0L3VzX3N1bmNoaXBzX3F1aWV0ZXJfYmFnBGNjb2RlA21vc3R wb3B1bGFyBGNwb3MDOARwb3MDNQRwdANob21lX2Nva2UEc2VjA 3luX2hlYWRsaW5lX2xpc3QEc2xrA2ZyaXRvLWxheWhvcA--

fifth element
02-24-2011, 06:24 PM
come on, people, loud fucking bags????
this is a joke, right?

you americano's make the loudest EVERYTHING!!!

with those damned freekin noisy assed bags it's impossible to hide from
the wife and kids what snacks youre sneaking behind their backs, right????

:lmao:

hambon4lif
02-24-2011, 06:36 PM
They make for lousy makeshift condoms, I'll tell you that much.....

fifth element
02-24-2011, 06:39 PM

and you would know from experience??

hambon4lif
02-24-2011, 06:50 PM

:lmao:Let's just say that we're hoping it's a boy so we can name him "chip".

Is "Dorito" a pretty name for a girl?

chefcraig
02-24-2011, 06:51 PM

If this leads to a new and creative use for a Pringles can, I'm not so sure I want to know about it.