Treasonous Chamber of Commerce funding sleazy attack ads with foreign money!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Treasonous Chamber of Commerce funding sleazy attack ads with foreign money!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    October 5, 2010
    2:08 PM

Drew Courtney or Josh Glasstetter
    Phone: 202-467-4999
    Email: media@pfaw.org
    Foreign Funded Chamber of Commerce Pours Money into U.S. Elections

WASHINGTON - October 5 - According to reporting released today by Think Progress , the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, which is spending millions of dollars supporting the GOP in the 2010 Elections, collects hundreds of thousands of dollars from foreign owned businesses, including companies owned by foreign governments.

“It’s no surprise that foreign owned companies are interested in supporting Republicans,” said Michael B. Keegan, President of People For the American Way. “After all, Senate Republicans voted in lockstep to block legislation that would have prevented foreign corporations from using American companies as conduits for spending money in our elections. The GOP voted to keep foreign money in elections and to keep corporate money secret. Now companies owned by Abu Dhabi and Russia seem to be returning the favor.”

According to a report released last week by People For the American Way, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce has already spent over $1 million in Colorado, Florida, New Hampshire on ads in each state, along with more than $800,000 in California, $500,000 in Kentucky, $300,000 in Missouri, and $200,000 in Pennsylvania and Indiana. According to the Washington Post, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce “vows to spend $75 million or more on November's midterm election cycle.”

“Voters from both parties are sick and tired of the influence that big money interests have in Washington,” said Keegan. “We need to pass legislation like DISCLOSE so voters can see who exactly it is that is trying to buy elections, and, ultimately, we need to pass a constitutional amendment to fix this problem once and for all. Voters should be well aware of which interests are already pulling the strings for many of the candidates who are seeking their vote.”

Common Dreams has been providing breaking news & views for the progressive community since 1997. We are independent, non-profit, advertising-free and 100% reader supported. Our Mission: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

I would say both sides are dirty on this one. I think it should be illegal for corporations to sponsor campaigns period. They don't vote so why should they be able to finance a candidate. You damn well know they finance both sides.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Sam42
      Full On Cocktard
      • Jan 2010

People need to take off the shroud that blinds them to the fact, that both side's of the isle are funded by foreign investors that are part of the world banks. It is their involvement that leads to which party in this country and countries around the world that get elected. Doesn't really matter which party wins, because they both have no real care about the American people. They only care about making policies that benefit their cause and the spread of a world order that caters to the almighty world banks.

Comment

• bueno bob
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jul 2004

They're obviously financing whoever promises them the most. Therefore, what we need are rules in place so that we can find out, as a people, who has been promised what before we vote for them and, probably more directly, who's receiving the most money. Logic dictates that whoever's receiving the most money to run and put ads on TV is making the most promises, as whoever spends the most on television advertising inevitably wins whatever position they're running for.

Defeating that, foreign corporations should NOT be funding individual campaigns.
        Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• BigBadBrian
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD

WASHINGTON - October 5 - According to reporting released today by Think Progress , the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, which is spending millions of dollars supporting the GOP in the 2010 Elections, collects hundreds of thousands of dollars from foreign owned businesses, including companies owned by foreign governments.
            Just like the White House, you have no proof of this.

Not even the liberal MSM is touching this one.

"Think Progress?"

Besides, I didn't hear you whining about all of Barry's foreign donations in 2008.

Nothing here people, move along.
            “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
              I would say both sides are dirty on this one. I think it should be illegal for corporations to sponsor campaigns period. They don't vote so why should they be able to finance a candidate. You damn well know they finance both sides.
              How could both sides be "dirty on this one" when the Chamber™ traditionally supports the G.O.P?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian

"Think Progress?"

Besides, I didn't hear you whining about all of Barry's foreign donations in 2008.

I became aware via a story on National Public Radio, so don't act like it's a non-issue...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian

"Think Progress?"

I became aware via a story on National Public Radio, so don't act like it's a non-issue...

Comment

• Blaze
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

The USA elections are a concern to other nations. By USA placing herself in such a dynamic position in the world political market, she has subjected herself to things like undue influence.
                    It would be foolish of political markets to not use means able to them to promote agendas.
                    If there are not laws in place, or if laws are not enforced, political markets will provide and disseminate propaganda geared toward their chosen goals. These goals are not always noble
                    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
                    sigpic

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

It's the pot calling the kettle black. The Democrats are more than happy to take the same money. Obama got plenty of offshore money when he ran for president. The thing is, the Democrats can only slag the Republicans because they sure as hell can't campaign on their accomplishments of the last two years unless you count more debt and more expensive healthcare. My healthcare costs have skyrocketed since Obamacare passed and since the Democrats never passed a budget, nobody knows what their expenses are going to be so they aren't hiring or spending money. The losers can't campaign on any of their accomplishments because they have just made the cost of living more expensive, killed jobs, raised taxes, and taken more rights away. All they can do is blame the other side for doing the same shit they do themselves.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                        How could both sides be "dirty on this one" when the Chamber™ traditionally supports the G.O.P?
                        Both sides take corporate and off shore money. Who cares what organization it's funneled through. The fact is both parties are guilty of the same shit.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                          Both sides take corporate and off shore money. Who cares what organization it's funneled through. The fact is both parties are guilty of the same shit.

Comment

• Blaze
                            Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Yes, Nitro and the USA applies undue influence on political markets other than their own. It is the kettle calling the pot black.
                            "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
                            sigpic

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Blaze
                              Yes, Nitro and the USA applies undue influence on political markets other than their own. It is the kettle calling the pot black.
                              We should have heeded Thomas Jefferson's advice not to get entangled in foreign affairs. Unfortunately, we fell into the same imperialist trap. That being said, we did do some good with the Marshall plan rebuilding Europe and Japan. We could have just stayed home and left them in rubble. But what the US is doing now overseas is deplorable.

Comment

Working...