PDA

View Full Version : Iraq war logs: US turned over captives to Iraqi torture squads

Seshmeister
10-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Iraq war logs: US turned over captives to Iraqi torture squads

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/oct/24/iraq-war-logs-us-iraqi-torture

Link to video: http://gu.com/p/2kttv

raq war logs: Frago 242 – a licence to torture -How the newly released US military files reveal an instruction to ignore detainee abuse by Iraqi authorities; what that meant on the ground; and just how far up the chain of command the order went Link to this video

Fresh evidence that US soldiers handed over detainees to a notorious Iraqi torture squad has emerged in army logs published by WikiLeaks.

The 400,000 field reports published by the whistleblowing website at the weekend contain an official account of deliberate threats by a military interrogator to turn his captive over to the Iraqi "Wolf Brigade".

The interrogator told the prisoner in explicit terms that: "He would be subject to all the pain and agony that the Wolf battalion is known to exact upon its detainees."

The evidence emerged as the deputy prime minister, Nick Clegg, said the allegations of killings, torture and abuse in Iraq were "extremely serious" and "needed to be looked at".

Clegg, speaking on BBC1's Andrew Marr Show, did not rule out an inquiry into the actions of British forces in Iraq, but said it was up to the US administration to answer for the actions of its forces. His comments contrasted with a statement from the Ministry of Defence today, which warned that the posting of classified US military logs on the WikiLeaks website could endanger the lives of British forces.

Clegg said: "We can bemoan how these leaks occurred, but I think the nature of the allegations made are extraordinarily serious. They are distressing to read about and they are very serious. I am assuming the US administration will want to provide its own answer. It's not for us to tell them how to do that."

Asked if there should be an inquiry into the role of British troops, he said: "I think anything that suggests that basic rules of war, conflict and engagement have been broken or that torture has been in any way condoned are extremely serious and need to be looked at.

"People will want to hear what the answer is to what are very, very serious allegations of a nature which I think everybody will find quite shocking."

A Channel 4 Dispatches programme on Monday night is expected to add further details based on the logs of alleged abuse directly by coalition forces. Only two cases of alleged involvement of British troops have so far been mentioned.

Within the huge leaked archive is contained a batch of secret field reports from the town of Samarra. They corroborate previous allegations that the US military turned over many prisoners to the Wolf Brigade, the feared 2nd battalion of the interior ministry's special commandos.

In Samarra, the series of log entries in 2004 and 2005 describe repeated raids by US infantry, who then handed their captives over to the Wolf Brigade for "further questioning". Typical entries read: "All 5 detainees were turned over to Ministry of Interior for further questioning" (from 29 November 2004) and "The detainee was then turned over to the 2nd Ministry of Interior Commando Battalion for further questioning" (30 November 2004).

The field reports chime with allegations made by New York Times writer Peter Maass, who was in Samarra at the time. He told Guardian Films : "US soldiers, US advisers, were standing aside and doing nothing," while members of the Wolf Brigade beat and tortured prisoners. The interior ministry commandos took over the public library in Samarra, and turned it into a detention centre, he said.

An interview conducted by Maass in 2005 at the improvised prison, accompanied by the Wolf Brigade's US military adviser, Col James Steele, had been interrupted by the terrified screams of a prisoner outside, he said. Steele was reportedly previously employed as an adviser to help crush an insurgency in El Salvador.

The Wolf Brigade was created and supported by the US in an attempt to re-employ elements of Saddam Hussein's Republican Guard, this time to terrorise insurgents. Members typically wore red berets, sunglasses and balaclavas, and drove out on raids in convoys of Toyota Landcruisers. They were accused by Iraqis of beating prisoners, torturing them with electric drills and sometimes executing suspects. The then interior minister in charge of them was alleged to have been a former member of the Shia Badr militia.

It is unclear which US unit filed the report of complaint that detainees were being specifically threatened with being turned over to the Wolf Brigade. The entry describes the capture of prisoners near the town of Falluja, west of Baghdad.

It is headed "Alleged detainee abuse by interrogators", and reads: "On 14 December 2005, a raid was conducted whereby five individuals were detained for suspicion of emplacement of IEDs [improvised explosive devices] as a result of a pid [positive identification]. "During the interrogation process the RO [ranking officer] threatened the subject detainee that he would never see his family again and would be sent to the 'Wolf Battalion' where he would be subject to all the pain and agony that the 'Wolf Battalion' is known to exact upon its detainees."

The war logs also disclose that Wolf Brigade members were themselves at risk of reprisals. In January 2007, US soldiers reported a gruesome discovery in a street near Baghdad: "Only the severed head was found. A wire was run through the ear with the corpse's ID attached to the wire. 3rd bn [battalion] commander identified the remains as Ahdel Abu Hussain, he was an officer in the NP [national police] Wolf Brigade."

Lawyers said the reports may embroil British as well as US forces in an alleged culture of abuse and extrajudicial killings. Phil Shiner, of Public Interest Lawyers, appearing alongside the WikiLeaks founder, Julian Assange, at a press conference in London, said some of the deaths may have involved British forces and could now go through the UK courts.

Seshmeister
10-25-2010, 04:41 PM
According to the US military reports now leaked prisoners were routinely handed over for torture by the Iraqi security services.

This torture is not waterboarding it's cutting peoples fingers off, drilling holes in their legs, raping them and so on.

Rumsfeld and his pals knew about this.

The records show over 32 000 murdered including 164 children.

One of the 6 year old kids bodies had 6 holes made with an electric drill.

Jagermeister
10-25-2010, 05:29 PM
According to the US military reports now leaked prisoners were routinely handed over for torture by the Iraqi security services.

This torture is not waterboarding it's cutting peoples fingers off, drilling holes in their legs, raping them and so on.

Rumsfeld and his pals knew about this.

The records show over 32 000 murdered including 164 children.

If that really happened someone would be charged. No one will be. It's horse shit.

Seshmeister
10-25-2010, 09:30 PM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/29/the_odd_body_denial/

Why are people so often in denial?

Asked by Ron James of Manchester, UK

In the psychological sense, denial is a defense mechanism in which a person, faced with a painful fact, rejects the reality of that fact. They will insist that the fact is not true despite what may be overwhelming and irrefutable evidence.

There are three forms of denial. Simple denial is when the painful fact is denied altogether. Minimisational denial is when the painful fact is admitted but its seriousness is downplayed. Transference denial is when the painful fact is admitted, the seriousness also admitted, but one's moral responsibility in the situation involving the painful fact is downplayed.

When a person is in denial, they engage in distractive or escapist strategies to reduce stress and help them cope. The effect upon psychological well-being in doing this is unclear.

The concept of denial was formulated by Sigmund Freud (1856-1939) and greatly elaborated upon by his daughter, Anna Freud (1895-1982), in the second volume (1936) of her eight volume Writings of Anna Freud. The concept has been around for many decades. Denial is an important factor in public health.

The American Heart Association cites denial as a principal reason why treatment for heart disease is often delayed. The same is true for cancer. Drs MS Vos and JC de Haes from the Department of Psychiatry at the Bronovo Hospital in The Hague, The Netherlands, recently point out that, based upon their study of cancer patients published in Psychooncology in July 2006, up to 47 per cent of patients deny the fact that they have been diagnosed with cancer, up to 70 per cent deny the impact of the diagnosis upon their lives, and up to 42 per cent deny that it has any effect upon their feelings.

They add: "From a psychoanalytical viewpoint, denial is a pathological, ineffective defense mechanism..On the other hand, according to the stress and coping model, denial can be seen as an adaptive strategy to protect against overwhelming events and feelings."

Therein is the appeal of denial to humans. Denial allows someone to keep going unchanged despite reality. Denial is the path of psychological and moral least resistance.

Five years after the 9/11 attack on New York and Washington DC, 40 per cent of New Yorkers are still to varying degrees "fearful", "traumatised" or otherwise "unable to face reality", according to NY public mental health experts. In such a psychological state, people are not at their reasoning best - easily confused, manipulated, and fooled.

While in denial about global warming, people don’t have to think about anything, inform themselves, change their consumption patterns, becoming actively involved in reforms, or alter their behaviour in any way. Politicians with transference denial can absolve themselves of any moral imperative to take the necessary policy initiatives that that scientists say are mandatory for our species to survive.

Stephen Juan, Ph.D. is an anthropologist at the University of Sydney.

Nickdfresh
10-25-2010, 09:31 PM
If that really happened someone would be charged. No one will be. It's horse shit.

Are you really this naive?

Seshmeister
10-25-2010, 10:12 PM
<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rxwosDxy2_0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;color1=0x402061&amp;color2=0 x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rxwosDxy2_0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;color1=0x402061&amp;color2=0 x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

Seshmeister
10-25-2010, 10:26 PM
You can browse the Iraq War Logs at http://www.wikileaks.org/

GAR
10-25-2010, 11:30 PM

Of course, the US does this everywhere it goes. Therefore those zionist US armed forces must leave every presence they occupy illegally throughout the world and seek within themselves to ask the Prophet to lead them to forgiveness for the evil which they have done.

Do I have this correct?

GAR
10-25-2010, 11:31 PM
You can browse the Iraq War Logs at http://www.wikileaks.org/

If we had an acting President like those in the past, that Wikileaks dude would have been locked up for treason the first time he pulled this.

FORD
10-25-2010, 11:42 PM
"That Wikileaks dude" deserves a Nobel prize. The sons of bitches responsible for these war crimes (the BCE) are the ones who should be locked up, or executed for treason.

If it takes a new "leaked" document every week to put an end to this useless fucking imperialism, then so be it.

Anonymous
10-25-2010, 11:52 PM
"That Wikileaks dude" deserves a Nobel prize. The sons of bitches responsible for these war crimes (the BCE) are the ones who should be locked up, or executed for treason.

If it takes a new "leaked" document every week to put an end to this useless fucking imperialism, then so be it.

The problem with imperialism, wars & soldiers is that they're made by humans. Like you people. And sometimes, get this, it starts off with someone trying to put an end to something unfair.

If you ask me, I say you humans deserve what you get.

And no, I'm not one of you. I refuse it. Though I do enjoy the air conditioning & the silicone.

Cheers! :bottle:

Unchainme
10-25-2010, 11:57 PM
so, explain to me why we're in iraq, if we're doing the same old evil shit that Saddam did in the first place?

Nickdfresh
10-26-2010, 03:54 AM
Of course, the US does this everywhere it goes. Therefore those zionist US armed forces must leave every presence they occupy illegally throughout the world and seek within themselves to ask the Prophet to lead them to forgiveness for the evil which they have done.

Do I have this correct?

Hey, Captain ADHD, no one said "the U.S. (Army)" did this. It was alleged that US soldiers knowingly turned over Iraqi suspects to Iraqi gov't paramilitaries and they did this. Perhaps if you had served, like other gay men, you'd figure out that subtle nuance...

Nickdfresh
10-26-2010, 03:56 AM
If we had an acting President like those in the past, that Wikileaks dude would have been locked up for treason the first time he pulled this.

It was done under Bush previously, and many in Wikileaks aren't American...

Seshmeister
10-26-2010, 05:53 AM
so, explain to me why we're in iraq, if we're doing the same old evil shit that Saddam did in the first place?

Exactly.

The last excuse Bush and Blair were hanging on to was that we had got rid of the evil guy who was hurting his own population even if he didn't have the weapons to harm any of us.

BigBadBrian
10-26-2010, 06:01 AM
"That Wikileaks dude" deserves a Nobel prize.

He deserves a fucking bullet in the head you fucking terrorist sympathizer! :fighting0056:

Jagermeister
10-26-2010, 09:04 AM
Are you really this naive?

Look I wouldn't be surprised if that shit did happen. These are the same Muslim fucking bastards I continue to whale against. I don't know why everyone is so shocked by any of this. These people are animals.

Seshmeister
10-26-2010, 09:05 AM
He deserves a fucking bullet in the head you fucking terrorist sympathizer! :fighting0056:

Well that does seem to have been the policy in Iraq.

If someone complains about human rights abuses or illegal occupations then kill them.

Seshmeister
10-26-2010, 09:07 AM
Look I wouldn't be surprised if that shit did happen. These are the same Muslim fucking bastards I continue to whale against. I don't know why everyone is so shocked by any of this. These people are animals.

Which people are animals?

The Iraqi security forces put in place by the coalition?

The US military?

Rumsfeld his torturers?

The people that voted for him?

Jagermeister
10-26-2010, 09:25 AM
Which people are animals?

The Iraqi security forces put in place by the coalition?The US military?

Rumsfeld his torturers?

The people that voted for him?

Bingo. Shure blame the coalition.

Seshmeister
10-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Who do you want to blame for the atrocities of the coalition appointed Iraqi Security Services?

If the Bush Administration had planned the Apollo Moon Landings they would have ended with Armstrong saying 'What do you mean just make our own way home?'

Jagermeister
10-26-2010, 09:48 AM
Who do you want to blame for the atrocities of the coalition appointed Iraqi Security Services?

If the Bush Administration had planned the Apollo Moon Landings they would have ended with Armstrong saying 'What do you mean just make our own way home?'

I blame Obama.

FORD
10-26-2010, 01:05 PM

This isn't about what the Muslim fucking bastards did. It's about what the BCE fucking bastards did. But then, you think an inbred Klansman stomping on a woman's head is something to laugh about. Now there's someone who deserves a "fucking bullet in the head".

FORD
10-26-2010, 01:07 PM
I blame Obama.

Which is about as logical as blaming Hindus for the overcommercialization of Xmas.

Jagermeister
10-26-2010, 01:27 PM
This isn't about what the Muslim fucking bastards did. It's about what the BCE fucking bastards did. But then, you think an inbred Klansman stomping on a woman's head is something to laugh about. Now there's someone who deserves a "fucking bullet in the head".

That guy is in the Klan?

FORD
10-26-2010, 03:29 PM
Call up your bookie and place your bets. I can pretty much guarantee that piece of shit wears bedsheets and burns crosses for fun.

Nickdfresh
10-27-2010, 06:25 AM
I blame Obama.

At least take responsibility for the shitheads you voted for...isn't that what cuntservatives are supposed to be all about?

Jagermeister
10-27-2010, 09:26 AM
At least take responsibility for the shitheads you voted for...isn't that what cuntservatives are supposed to be all about?

I voted for Obama. :(

I made a big mistake.

chefcraig
10-27-2010, 09:35 AM

I made a big mistake.

Don't feel so bad. I picked the Cincinnati Bengals to go to the Super Bowl this year. That seems to be working out just as well.

Jagermeister
10-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Don't feel so bad. I picked the Cincinnati Bengals to go to the Super Bowl this year. That seems to be working out just as well.

:biggrin:

I guess I fell into the same trap as the rest of America. At least I can man up and say I fucked up. The alternative couldn't have been any worse IMO.

Nickdfresh
10-27-2010, 01:19 PM

I made a big mistake.

Death pools don't count!