PDA

View Full Version : America's Dirtiest Cities

Jagermeister
11-17-2010, 03:18 PM
California's got seven of them.

http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/americas-dirtiest-cities.html
:barf:

At the ballot box this November California voters showed that they are determined to clean up their state's deplorable air quality. They quashed Proposition 23, which would have temporarily suspended key emissions-reduction tenets in the Golden State's Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006. How temporarily? Until pigs fly, or rather until the state unemployment level dropped to 5.5%--from the 12.4% it's at now.

Having survived the challenge (62% of voters rejected Prop 23) the emissions cuts are now set to begin in 2012. A carbon cap-and-trade program will be launched later. The goal is that, in eight years, California will have greenhouse gas emissions 15% lower than they are now.

the ballot box this November California voters showed that they are determined to clean up their state's deplorable air quality. They quashed Proposition 23, which would have temporarily suspended key emissions-reduction tenets in the Golden State's Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006. How temporarily? Until pigs fly, or rather until the state unemployment level dropped to 5.5%--from the 12.4% it's at now.

Having survived the challenge (62% of voters rejected Prop 23) the emissions cuts are now set to begin in 2012. A carbon cap-and-trade program will be launched later. The goal is that, in eight years, California will have greenhouse gas emissions 15% lower than they are now.

In Pictures: America's 10 Dirtiest Cities
That's good news for the lungs of Californians. The American Lung Association, in its report State Of The Air 2010, finds seven California metropolitan areas with air quality bad enough that they make it onto the list of the Top 10 Dirtiest Cities in America. The 20 million people in these cities are at higher risk of asthma and chronic bronchitis.

Most of those souls (17.8 million) inhabit the Los Angeles, Long Beach and Riverside area, which ranked second-worst overall and worst in ozone pollution. Aside from millions of cars on the roads, the area also suffers the effects of the nation's busiest port. Researchers at the University of Calgary found in 2008 that salty coastal air mixed with sunshine and pollutants helps create unexpectedly high levels of ground-level ozone.

The biggest problem spot in the country is California's San Joaquin Valley, where farming, industry, car culture and topography collide to trap smog. Wildfires contribute to the problem. Severe particle pollution in valley burgs like Bakersfield (the center of California's oil industry and the metropolitan area with the worst air in the nation), Fresno (third place), Visalia (fourth) and Modesto (eighth) can damage the lungs in the same way cigarettes do. Sacramento (ninth) incentivizes residents to trade in gasoline lawn mowers for electric ones, diesel-powered trucks for hybrid ones and old wood stoves for new ones. The only non-California cities in the top 10: Pittsburgh, Pa; Birmingham, Ala.; and metropolitan Phoenix, Ariz.

It's hard to argue against cleaner air. Thus the debate leading up to the vote on Prop 23 was effectively framed as good vs. evil. On the good side were environmentalists and the sensitive pink lungs of asthma-prone children. On the evil side: power plants, oil refiners and diesel truck drivers.

The biggest backers of Prop 23 were Texas-based oil companies like Tesoro and Valero Energy and Koch Industries (owned by the Tea Party-backing billionaire Koch brothers), all of which have operations in California. Valero, for its part, put up $5 million for a media campaign attempting to convince California that the Global Warming Solutions Act is a job-killer. So too did truck drivers who spew particulates from their diesel engines while hauling loads to and from the Port of Long Beach.

If only those workers knew that their jobs were killing them. The American Lung Association says that truck drivers, dock workers and railroad workers who inhale diesel exhaust are much more likely to die from lung cancer and heart disease than the general population.

Under the law, refiners will have to foot the bill for pollution control technology at their plants, and will also have to provide even cleaner automotive fuels than California already mandates. Valero, which owns two refineries in the state and employs 1,600 workers there, will be able to pass on some of these costs to motorists, but higher fuel prices will almost certainly mean less demand for fuel. Cars are thought to be responsible for as much as 30% of California's greenhouse gas emissions.

They didn't get any sympathy from Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who opposed Prop. 23--and who signed the original 2006 global warming legislation. Last week Schwarzenegger, wearing a pair of tough-looking cowboy boots, celebrated the vote and lambasted the oil companies: "We made it clear if those interests push us around," he said, "we'll push back."

The trouble will come if that push-back pushes industry out of the state altogether. Prop 23 supporters insist that a bevy of new taxes on energy will raise the costs of doing business enough to drive companies and jobs out of California. The green crowd insists the Global Warming Solutions Act will spur a clean energy boom in the state--with Californians putting their entrepreneurial talents toward inventing new solar panels, wind turbines and the like.

Some of the biggest opponents of Prop. 23 were Thomas Steyer, whose Fallon Capital Management hedge fund says it invests in areas that will become profitable "due to a catalyzing event or change in circumstances, including regulatory or legislative change." Steyer was joined by billionaires including John Doerr, rainmaker at green-tech venture capital shop Kleiner Perkins.

One company set to benefit from the law is SPG Solar, California's second-biggest solar panel installer. SPG will likely be hiring more installers in the years to come--but will the real boom in green jobs be in California? SPG President Tom Rooney tells Forbes he's thinking of opening a panel factory in China.

Even if green energy companies don't take their manufacturing overseas, there's little reason to build factories in high-tax California. Better to invest in low-tax Texas, which already boasts the world's highest concentration of energy companies, in Houston (a perennial polluter chock-a-block with refineries), which narrowly escaped the top 10 Dirtiest Cities cut.

With any potential for a nationwide carbon cap-and-trade scheme now crushed by Republicans taking over the House of Representatives, America will be watching California for cues on whether greenhouse gases can be ameliorated without killing economic growth.

Our lungs hope for the best. According to the Lung Association 175 million Americans live in counties where outdoor air quality earned a grade of F. And if the Global Warming Solutions Act does end up being a job-killer, at least there's a bright side--unemployed Californians will have cleaner air to breathe.

Top 5 Dirtiest Cities in America

No. 1: Bakersfield, Calif.
Population: 800,000
Short-term particle pollution rank: 1
Year-round particle pollution rank: 2
Ozone pollution rank: 2
Hot, dusty and surrounded by California's San Joaquin Valley oil fields, Bakersfield has all the ingredients for the worst air in the nation

No. 2: Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, Calif.
Population: 17.8 million
Short-term particle pollution rank: 4
Year-round particle pollution rank: 3
Ozone pollution rank: 1
University of Calgary researchers found in 2008 that salty coastal air mixed with sunshine and pollutants helps create unexpectedly high levels of ground-level ozone.

No. 3: Fresno-Madera, Calif.
Population: 1.1 million
Short-term particle pollution rank: 2
Year-round particle pollution rank: 6
Ozone pollution rank: 4
Cars, agriculture, petroleum and mega-dairies all contribute to the brown haze that hangs over the San Joaquin Valley.

No. 4: Visalia-Porterville, Calif.
Population: 430,000
Short-term particle pollution rank: 8
Year-round particle pollution rank: 3
Ozone pollution rank: 3
Proximity to the giant trees of Sequoia National Park isn't enough to clean Visalia's smoggy San Joaquin Valley air.

No. 5: Hanford-Corcoran, Calif.
Population: 150,000
Short-term particle pollution rank: 10
Year-round particle pollution rank: 8
Ozone pollution rank: 6
Hundreds of aircraft based at the giant Naval Air Station in nearby Lemoore doesn't help Hanford's air quality.

Nitro Express
11-17-2010, 07:04 PM
The air quality in the greater LA area is the best I've seen it in my lifetime. In the 1970's as soon as you came down the pass into San Bernadino the smog was a thick soup. This summer I stayed at the Queen Mary hotel in Long Beach and could see the San Gabriel mountains off in the distance.

Here in Wyoming we generate a lot of power with coal and I was amazed to find most of it goes to California. The state has made generating power so impossible that it has to be imported from three states away.

Don't buy this cap and trade shit. It's an energy tax and the big energy companies are behind it. When Arnold says he's socking it to the oil companies he's full of shit.

What's really dirty in California is the politicians and the dirtiest city is Sacramento.

ace diamond
11-17-2010, 07:50 PM
first of all, san bernardino is way fucking worse than riverside, long beach or los angeles.
if you go up sr-18 towards crestline, and look back over the city of sanbernardino, especially in the summertime,
all you see is this thick orangish-brown blanket of fucking smog.
san bernardino is where all the smog from los angeles, riverside, and most of southern california collects because it is a
surrounded on 3 sides by mountains and is a bowl depression.
also, a mojority of that city in built on top of a giant swamp.
look up pictures from 100 or more years ago.
inland center mall 100 years ago was a swamp.
most of that city was a swamp 100-150 or more years ago.
i have lived in the city of san bernardino, and i was bor and raisded and lived most of my 33 years of life in
san bernardino county.
for one year now i have lived in the city of riverside.
the air here is vastly cleaner than that study reports.
i should know.
i've been a life long asthmatic, and i have had c.o.p.d. since the late 1990's.
in riverside, i can breathe quite well.
in san bernardino, i can barely breathe at all.
in los angeles, where i do visit on a regular basis, i can breathe fairly good.
so all toldnow, i'm calling bullshit on this study.
especially since it is done by a university in calgary, alberta, canada.
the u.s. federal government has named san bernardino over the past decade the follwing things, officially:
1.the worst city in america
2.the most polluted city in america
3.the highest crime rate in america
4.the worst city in america to work,live, got to school, or try to raise a family.
5.the murder capital of america percapita(san bernardino has won this fine distinction
damn near everytime in the past 20 fucking years. this is evidenced by the fact that the mayor there
for many years, judith valles, ran unopposed-because nobody else wanted the fucking job!)
6.the most corrupt city in america(also, san bernardino county has also been named the most corrupt county in america.
it is also the largest county of the 48 state u.s. mainland.)

the city of riverside, and the county of riverside is quite the opposite.
first of all, the county and city of riverside was originally part of san bernardino county.
in the late 19th century, the was a dispute in the county courthouse, which at that time, stood at
the corner of court street and e street....today, there is an outdoor concert venue there.
the dispute was over the san bernardino farmers cutting the fence lines and letting their cattle
grave on the riverside farmers lands.
so here what went down.
the san bernardino farmers had the judge in their pocket, as the judge and the sheriff were amongst the farmers
being sued, the judge naturally ruled in favor of himdelf and the other san bernardino farmers.
the riverside farmers went home good and pissed off.
then the flipped off san bernardino county, seceded from it and formed riverside county as it is today.

the city of riverside was recently give the emerald city award by the federal government for being one of the least polluted
and "greenest" cities in america.
also, our crime rates are low, and riverside was named "the best city in america to live, work, go to school,
and raise a family"
this was awarded at the same time as san bernardino got the worst award in that same catagory.

so, on those grounds, this study if full of fucking bullshit and should be completely disregarded out of hand.
thank you.
i have spoken.
ace diamond

:gulp:

sorry about the typos.........
discuss............

Nitro Express
11-17-2010, 08:02 PM
My Mormon ancestors on my mothers side were some of the original settlers of San Bernardino. They were doing real well there and then Brigham Young called them back to Utah because of the Utah war.

ace diamond
11-17-2010, 08:05 PM
My Mormon ancestors on my mothers side were some of the original settlers of San Bernardino. They were doing real well there and then Brigham Young called them back to Utah because of the Utah war.
your moron ancestors are better off having gone back to utah.
obviously, you are not speaking of jedaddiah smith
anyways,
i used to live right next to pioneer cemetary in 1998.
in 2006, i went to pioneer cemetary, got drunk on a 12 pack of tall cans of black ice, and pissed on wyatt earp's mother's headstone.
wyatt earp is buried over in colton. i'll find his grave, go there, get royally piss fucking drunk,and piss on his fucking headstone before i die.
mark my words on that.

Nitro Express
11-17-2010, 08:11 PM
I did some scuba diving off of the LA shore in the kelp forests. Nice clear water teaming with life. If there's a pollution problem I didn't see it. It was way better than the raw sewage I ended up in off of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

I don't buy all this shit trying to justify the cap and trade scam. Plus, the whole global warming hysteria got exposed by the Russians at the Copenhagen summit. Scientists were being threatened and bribed to support the global warming agenda. It's all a scam to make energy so expensive a few people can control world commerce. Not that clean air and water aren't bad things but people need to see through the hysteria.

Oh and the US Government said there was no inflation today. Those of us who go to the grocery store or buy gasoline know that's a crock of shit.

PETE'S BROTHER
11-17-2010, 08:16 PM
need help movin' back to san bernardino, ace?

ace diamond
11-17-2010, 08:16 PM
I don't buy all this shit trying to justify the cap and trade scam. Plus, the whole global warming hysteria got exposed by the Russians at the Copenhagen summit. Scientists were being threatened and bribed to support the global warming agenda. It's all a scam to make energy so expensive a few people can control world commerce. Not that clean air and water aren't bad things but people need to see through the hysteria.
I DON'T.i know better......i was just making a point.

Oh and the US Government said there was no inflation today. Those of us who go to the grocery store or buy gasoline know that's a crock of shit.
granted, and a very valid point.
however, in this one case, i am a life long witness for 33 years now that on what i posted above, the gov't is actually telling the complete truth for once.
they actually got something copletely right for a change.

ace diamond
11-17-2010, 08:17 PM
need help movin' back to san bernardino, ace?

go fuck yourself, pb.
:gulp:

Nitro Express
11-17-2010, 08:18 PM
your moron ancestors are better off having gone back to utah.
obviously, you are not speaking of jedaddiah smith
anyways,
i used to live right next to pioneer cemetary in 1998.
in 2006, i went to pioneer cemetary, got drunk on a 12 pack of tall cans of black ice, and pissed on wyatt earp's mother's headstone.
wyatt earp is buried over in colton. i'll find his grave, go there, get royally piss fucking drunk,and piss on his fucking headstone before i die.
mark my words on that.

I drank a bunch of tequila and pissed on Brigham Young's grave. He was a bigoted old tyrant. He's buried in a small park behind some apartments buildings under a huge slab of granite.

PETE'S BROTHER
11-17-2010, 08:19 PM
ace, waddaya got against the earp family?

PETE'S BROTHER
11-17-2010, 08:20 PM

goddamit! hook, line and sinker. why did i ask?

Nitro Express
11-17-2010, 08:20 PM
So what's the biggest California shit hole these days? Some say Barstow. Some say San Bernardino. Some say Fresno.

PETE'S BROTHER
11-17-2010, 08:22 PM
we spent a night in los banos this summer:barf:

ace diamond
11-17-2010, 08:24 PM
becuase i am an apache indian, dumbass!
and you fucking live in arizona, you should fucking know that!

goddamit! hook, line and sinker. why did i ask?

ladies and jackasses of the roth army.....
I, ACE DIAMOND, give you self-ownage at it's finest.
pete's brother has been
:pwned:
by pete's brother.

roth army fail.

ace diamond
11-17-2010, 08:26 PM
So what's the biggest California shit hole these days? Some say Barstow. Some say San Bernardino. Some say Fresno.

san bernardino.
that's not even a fucking contest.
it's the state parole boards' favorite little private dumpling grounds.
need i say more?

Anonymous
11-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Yeah, Asshole Liemond is an Apache.

His mother was caucasian, his father was caucasian & his features - judging by the disgusting pictures of himself (& his family) that he insists on posting, even though no one asks for them - are also caucasian.

But yeah... he's an Apache.

A blind, limp Apache with the HIV.

Cheers! :bottle:

PETE'S BROTHER
11-17-2010, 08:51 PM
he shot some buffalo and killed a confessed accomplice to murder?

Anonymous
11-17-2010, 08:52 PM

Asshole Liemond's apartment, or his "tent by the river", like he says, from where he fishes the salad he eats every day.

PETE'S BROTHER
11-17-2010, 08:55 PM
Yeah, Asshole Liemond is an Apache.

His mother was caucasian, his father was caucasian & his features - judging by the disgusting pictures of himself (& his family) that he insists on posting, even though no one asks for them - are also caucasian.

But yeah... he's an Apache.

A blind, limp Apache with the HIV.

one nutted, athsmatic, barefoot (once) guitar "playing", portuguese speaking (back in the day) , train riding (that is where your real apache hatred should be focused-railroad) apache :baaa:

PETE'S BROTHER
11-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Asshole Liemond's apartment, or his "tent by the river", like he says, from where he fishes the salad he eats every day.

dan would not like that salad:barf:

FORD
11-17-2010, 08:59 PM

Which ever one it is that Sockfucker lives in.

Anonymous
11-17-2010, 09:04 PM
one nutted, athsmatic, barefoot (once) guitar "playing", portuguese speaking (back in the day) , train riding (that is where your real apache hatred should be focused-railroad) apache :baaa:

Ooooh yeah, I forgot that he used to speak Portuguese, but somehow forgot all about it!

Anonymous
11-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Which ever one it is that Sockfucker lives in.

Doesn't he live in the same place as the Albino Apache?

Nickdfresh
11-17-2010, 10:10 PM
I did some scuba diving off of the LA shore in the kelp forests. Nice clear water teaming with life. If there's a pollution problem I didn't see it. It was way better than the raw sewage I ended up in off of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

You spout off with all this bullshit, but never, ever actually back any of it up! The Russians? Really? One of the largest oil based economies sent its representatives to "debunk" the "Global Warming Myth?" How fucking shocking! Maybe some Neonazis will debunk the Holocaust "myth" next...

Dan
11-17-2010, 10:45 PM
dan would not like that salad:barf:

I Feel SicK Now.:(

Nitro Express
11-18-2010, 12:02 AM
You spout off with all this bullshit, but never, ever actually back any of it up! The Russians? Really? One of the largest oil based economies sent its representatives to "debunk" the "Global Warming Myth?" How fucking shocking! Maybe some Neonazis will debunk the Holocaust "myth" next...

Dude just Google climategate and the international carbon tax. It fell apart at the Copenhagen summit because some hackers brought forward inside information of collusion in the scientific community to justify global carbon emissions regulation. It turned out to be a scam based on fudged scientific data. If it would have passed, heating your home there in Buffalo would become damn expensive.

Nitro Express
11-18-2010, 12:10 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hFt07eAAQ94?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hFt07eAAQ94?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

twonabomber
11-18-2010, 02:29 AM
first of all, blah blah blah...

for someone who supposedly/allegedly can't see, you sure are pretty fuckin' observant.

Va Beach VH Fan
11-18-2010, 08:56 AM
It's kinda funny, Pittsburgh is listed #10 on this list, but at the same time it's listed for several years now as being one of America's most livable cities....

BITEYOASS
11-18-2010, 12:57 PM
If you want air pollution, then check out Texas.

ace diamond
11-30-2010, 03:12 PM
Doesn't he live in the same place as the Albino Apache?

c-dog isn't even in the same state as i am.

ace diamond
11-30-2010, 03:17 PM
for someone who supposedly/allegedly can't see, you sure are pretty fuckin' observant.

that's because i pay attention to my surroundings.
also, where my eyes fail me, my other senses, i.e., hearing, smelling, etc.....kick in and compensate.
besides, my viewing of the smog blanket from the top of waterman canyon on ca-18 was back in 1998.
it was even worse then than it is now.
however, my eyesight was a lot better back then too.
my glasses weren't anywhere near so thick and strong as they are now.

PETE'S BROTHER
11-30-2010, 03:19 PM
also, where my eyes fail me, my other senses, i.e., hearing, smelling, etc.....kick in and compensate.

c'mon.......what are the rest?

chefcraig
11-30-2010, 03:24 PM

I wonder if he means music and hygiene, or the distinct lack of being able to determine the proper way of going about either? http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-confused-smileys-718.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/skype-emoticons.html)

Seshmeister
11-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Dude just Google climategate and the international carbon tax. It fell apart at the Copenhagen summit because some hackers brought forward inside information of collusion in the scientific community to justify global carbon emissions regulation. It turned out to be a scam based on fudged scientific data. If it would have passed, heating your home there in Buffalo would become damn expensive.

What a total crock. Utter internet bullshit.

Jagermeister
11-30-2010, 03:38 PM
What a dumb fuckin thread. Who started this anyway? :biggrin:

diamondsgirl
11-30-2010, 03:40 PM
Is it Father's Day already?? :biggrin:

ace diamond
11-30-2010, 03:52 PM
Is it Father's Day already?? :biggrin:
sorry about your luck......
:lmao:

ace diamond
11-30-2010, 03:55 PM

dude, don't fucking playing stupid with me.......
:rolleyes:

ace diamond
11-30-2010, 03:57 PM
I wonder if he means music and hygiene, or the distinct lack of being able to determine the proper way of going about either? http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-confused-smileys-718.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/skype-emoticons.html)

:hagar1:
good one chef..........
:lmao:

PETE'S BROTHER
11-30-2010, 04:01 PM

i'll stopping, ace:biggrin:

Nickdfresh
11-30-2010, 09:49 PM
Dude just Google climategate and the international carbon tax.....

Oh yes, wonderfully seeded with misinformation by front groups and "conservative think tanks" that have all the credibility of a street walking prostitute blowing big oil executives--then claiming she only did it because it was 'naughty and fun'...

You spout off about all these conspiracy theories about powerful elites controlling society, then blatantly fall for one of the biggest tools powerful elites (such as Exxon-Mobil of British Petroleum) use to control society...

Anonymous
11-30-2010, 10:38 PM

... It's a game you simply can't win... as demonstrated...

Hardrock69
12-01-2010, 10:28 AM
He is not. That is your department.