PDA

View Full Version : New Movie Unveils Lost Jimi Hendrix - Royal Albert Hall Footage

chefcraig
11-19-2010, 08:20 PM
New Movie Unveils Lost Hendrix Footage

Jimi forgets the cameras are rolling, and you see those sides of him, the stage and the sweetness with different girlfriends,' says the late singer's half-sister

By Jem Aswad ROLLING STONE (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/68404/235926#)

A documentary about Jimi Hendrix's concerts at London's Royal Albert Hall in February 1969 will be released next year, according to his half-sister Janie Hendrix, president and CEO of Experience Hendrix. The film, which Janie describes as "a day in the life of Jimi," was put together from footage collected at those concerts and Jimi's tour of Europe that year.

"There were about four cameras that followed Jimi and the guys around in Europe and filmed the two concerts at the Royal Albert Hall, as well as them coming off trains, planes and automobiles, signing autographs, Jimi backstage getting ready, in his apartment doing little apartment jams with his friends and then later playing [nightclub] the Speakeasy," Janie told Billboard . "It's not an actor playing Jimi; it's Jimi, and he really does forget the cameras are rolling and you see those sides of him, the stage and the sweetness with different girlfriends — there's several that are in the film — and how he was around friends and how he was really into listening to the [recording of] the night before's performance."

Hendrix said she aims to release the documentary theatrically and possibly on pay-per-view, as well as on DVD. There will also be a soundtrack album of live performances from the Royal Albert Hall, which have been previously released over the years but never to the satisfaction of Experience Hendrix.

Other projects in the works include a film of his May 1968 performance at the Miami Pop Festival — which is slated to be released in 2012, commemorating what would have been Jimi's 70th birthday — and a collection of recordings Hendrix made with Stephen Stills.

In other news, a guitar formerly owned by Hendrix is up for auction next month. The instrument, on which he reportedly wrote a number of songs and used on his iconic version of Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower," is expected to fetch nearly $200,000. In 2008, a guitar that Hendrix set on fire at a 1967 London gig sold for nearly half a million dollars.

Diamondjimi
11-19-2010, 11:13 PM
Amazing that footage and recordings of a guy who's been dead for 40 years are being released. But Van Halen can't even muster up ONE SINGLE DVD OF CLASSIC VAN HALEN MATERIAL!!!

Hardrock69
11-20-2010, 12:43 AM
True.

Janie first announced this was coming out in Spring of 2009, saying it would be out by last Christmas.
I think the reason it was delayed was more fucking lawsuit bullshit. Finally they got some of their legal crap (again) in order.
The Miami Pop Festival footage is going to be great, as there has not been much of that floating around in bootleg land.

What gets me is that this film crew followed the JHE around Europe on their tour in January/February of 1969 before arriving in London. I would think they would have filmed other shows on that tour, yet all Janie can talk about is footage of them away from the venues.

Oh well.

I hope the RAH footage is great. The original idiots who edited it did so showing sparklers and fucking oceans on the beach during some of the songs, and I want to see that crap edited out.

78/84 guy
11-20-2010, 11:29 AM
I was wondering what happened too this project. I have a dvd boot of one of the Hall shows, not sure what night. The playing is really good. The Miami show will be cool. Rather not wait a year for it. Still wondering about the Randy Rhoads stuff that is coming out.

Hardrock69
11-20-2010, 04:56 PM
The DVD boot is for 2/24/69. I know they recorded both nights audio-wise, as well as soundcheck at least on the 24th (I have that) but I do not recall whether or not they filmed both nights at RAH. I will have to look it up just to remind myself.

ELVIS
11-21-2010, 01:38 AM
Hmmm...

Nitro Express
11-21-2010, 02:02 AM
I saw some footage of Jimi playing Royal Albert Hall and there was a row of hippies tripping on acid while this old school british cop with the waxed mustache and stiff upper lip looks on. It was a contrast of two worlds.

Hardrock69
11-21-2010, 02:38 AM
Yeah. You had a lot of people who had what you would call "Season tickets". Most of the events at RAH were the usual cultured bullshit....classical concerts, ballet, and all that old fucked up shit (just kidding), but there were quite a few people who attended every show at RAH because they figured a) we paid for the seats and b) we will be exposed to different art forms.

So you had some stuffy upper crust individuals who at least had an open enough mind to go see this famous rock music guitar player, even if they did call it a load of bollocks after the show was over, lol. Kudos to those people who were at least willing to 'experience' what Jimi was all about, lol.

vaijuju
11-21-2010, 04:37 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9M0a7JcABwM?fs=1&amp;hl=fr_FR"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9M0a7JcABwM?fs=1&amp;hl=fr_FR" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

All removed on youtube, anyway i close my eyes

78/84 guy
11-22-2010, 09:53 PM
I saw some footage of Jimi playing Royal Albert Hall and there was a row of hippies tripping on acid while this old school british cop with the waxed mustache and stiff upper lip looks on. It was a contrast of two worlds.

That shit is funny !! I remember that cop.

Nitro Express
11-23-2010, 05:12 AM
I remember Grace Slick telling a story of how these rich, socialites in places like New York City would hire the Jefferson Airplane to play, because it was modern art and the new trendy thing. The band would show up to some private club and then proceed to blast the living shit out of the audience, of high society people who really didn't know what they had hired. All they knew is Time magazine and The New Yorker said they were the latest fad and these people liked Andy Warhol so they were off to sample the next interesting thing. Grace said the looks of terror on their faces and hands over the ears was priceless.

Hardrock69
11-23-2010, 12:53 PM
All of us musicians have stories to tell of run-ins with old people who were horrified at being exposed to rock music.

I recall a band I was working with who had a gig fall through, and their agent found a substitute gig at a supper club in Coffeeville, KS of all places.

It was a two night gig (Fri-Sat). We set up Friday afternoon. Old white-haired men and their blue-haired 90-year-old wives were still eating dinner when the band began to play. I was doing sound/lights.
First song - ATBL.

The look on all these old peoples' faces when the singer began belting out "I HEARD THE NEWS BABY....ALL ABOUT YOUR DISEASE!!!"

Mass exodus to the door. We had a signed contract for the two days, and amazingly enough we did not get paid off OR fired. Immediately the manager comes over asking me to turn it down. I said ok, and turned it down just a bit. Within a song or two, I had it back up again. The supper club had advertised the band on the local AM radio station.
Got a crowd of 30-40 people by 11 PM when we finished. Manager was not happy. All night kept telling me to turn it down. I told her I could not turn it down without turning it off. And there WERE some people getting off on it.

Well, word must have gotten around. Saturday night was PACKED! The band was not bad, but not what us here at Roth Army would call exceptional. But surely the best rock band to hit that one-horse town in quite awhile.

After we were done, the people were gone. We were tearing down our gear. I was near the bar packing the sound console and FX and stuff. The manager (an old lady) was writing out a check to the singer/leader of the band. We had gotten something like 400 per night.
She was pouting, and said "That's 800 dollars....wasted".

I stopped what I was doing and said "How many thousand dollars did you make selling beer and booze tonight, huh?"

She gave me a look that would melt steel and walked away in a huff. She knew I was right. They had been going crazy trying to keep up with demand, not to mention the cover charge at the door.

Oh well.

78/84 guy
11-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Jimi really changed music more than anyone. The sound, the look and songwriting. His songwriting is so overlooked by people I think it's sad. They all look at the guitar side. Well most people do. I love seeing pictures of the Beatles with all their fucked up outfites and Clapton with his frow. These guy's were the shit in England then they all start doing Jimi's trip !!!

Hardrock69
11-23-2010, 09:14 PM
True.