PDA

View Full Version : US deploys 'game-changer' weapon to Afghanistan

Hardrock69
12-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Photos can be seen at link below.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-12-deploys-game-changer-weapon-afghanistan.html

WASHINGTON (AFP) – It looks and acts like something best left in the hands of Sylvester Stallone's "Rambo," but this latest dream weapon is real -- and the US Army sees it becoming the Taliban's worst nightmare.

The Pentagon has rolled out prototypes of its first-ever programmable "smart" grenade launcher, a shoulder-fired weapon that uses microchipped ammunition to target and kill the enemy, even when the enemy is hidden behind walls or other cover.

After years of development, the XM25 Counter Defilade Target Engagement System, about the size of a regular rifle, has now been deployed to US units on the battlefields of Afghanistan, where the Army expects it to be a "game-changer" in its counterinsurgency operations.

"For well over a week, it's been actively on patrols, and in various combat outposts in areas that are hot," said Lieutenant Colonel Chris Lehner, program manager for the XM25.

The gun's stats are formidable: it fires 25mm air-bursting shells up to 2,300 feet (700 meters), well past the range of most rifles used by today's soldiers, and programs them to explode at a precise distance, allowing troops to neutralize insurgents hiding behind walls, rocks or trenches or inside buildings.

"This is the first time we're putting smart technology into the hands of the individual soldier," Lehner told AFP in a telephone interview.

"It's giving them the edge," he said, in the harsh Afghan landscape where Islamist extremists have vexed US troops using centuries-old techniques of popping up from behind cover to engage.

"You get behind something when someone is shooting at you, and that sort of cover has protected people for thousands of years," Lehner said.

"Now we're taking that away from the enemy forever."

PEO Soldier says studies show the XM25 is 300 percent more effective than current weapons at the squad level.

The revolutionary advance involves an array of sights, sensors and lasers that reads the distance to the target, assesses elements such as air pressure, temperature, and ballistics and then sends that data to the microchip embedded in the XM25 shell before it is launched.

Previous grenade launchers needed to arc their shells over cover and land near the target to be effective.

"It takes out a lot of the variables that soldiers have to contemplate and even guess at," Lehner said.

If, for example, an enemy combatant pops up from behind a wall to fire at US troops and then ducks behind it, an XM25 gunner can aim the laser range finder at the top of the wall, then program the shell to detonate one meter beyond it, showering lethal fragmentation where the insurgent is seeking cover.

Use of the XM25 can slash civilian deaths and damage, the Army argues, because its pinpointed firepower offers far less risk than larger mortars or air strikes.

The result, the Army says, is "very limited collateral damage."

The Pentagon plans to purchase at least 12,500 of the guns -- at a price tag of 25,000 to 30,000 dollars each -- beginning next year, enough for one in each Infantry squad and Special Forces team.

Lehner said the XM25 was special in that it requires comparatively little training, because the high-powered technology does so much of the work.

"This system is turning soldiers with average shooting skills into those with phenomenal shooting skills," he said.

Nickdfresh
12-01-2010, 10:55 AM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/afp/20101201/capt.photo_1291172230373-1-0.jpg
I dunno know if this will really 'change' many 'games.' But it is cool as fuck!

Nitro Express
12-01-2010, 11:02 AM
What do you do when the batteries go dead?

Nitro Express
12-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Modern weapons are butt ugly. They look like they are designed by the same people who design shampoo bottles.

Nitro Express
12-01-2010, 11:08 AM
We will never win Afghanistan because to win it we would have to kill everyone there. The military contractors will make a fortune selling more toys, more people will die, until the public finally has enough of the nonsense and the politicians finally pull us out. Then Afghanistan goes back to being Afghanistan but instead of Soviet weapons, they will have new NATO toys but probably will continue to use RPG's and AK's because they are simpler and more reliable in primitive conditions. China probably will come one, spread a lot of money around and get the lithium.

Hardrock69
12-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Back in the 70s, Mad Magazine ran a piece about a depraved children's show host named Uncle Nutzy. One of the sponsors was an international arms manufacturer, and Uncle Nutzy did a commercial for this cool toy called "DEATH 26".

It had 26 different weapons. Granade Launcher, machine gun, sniper rifle, flame thrower, mortar, rocket launcher, etc. all built into one weapon that bears a resemblance to this thing.

I dug Mad Magazine. They had some of the coolest shit to warp a teen-aged mind. :hee:

chefcraig
12-01-2010, 04:23 PM
I dug Mad Magazine. They had some of the coolest shit to warp a teen-aged mind. :hee:

Yup, MAD and Monty Python probably were the first comedy influences on millions of us growing up back then. I recall having to dig deep in the newsstand to find a pristine copy that someone had not already messed up by doing the fold-in on the back page. They were hard enough to get straight without having to deal with some halfwit's attempts before you.

Jagermeister
12-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Yup, MAD and Monty Python probably were the first comedy influences on millions of us growing up back then. I recall having to dig deep in the newsstand to find a pristine copy that someone had not already messed up by doing the fold-in on the back page. They were hard enough to get straight without having to deal with some halfwit's attempts before you.

:umm: How old are you fuckers anyway?

j/k

Nitro Express
12-01-2010, 05:06 PM
I dug Mad Magazine. They had some of the coolest shit to warp a teen-aged mind.

I had my subscription in the 1970's. Al Jaffee, Don Martin, the fold in, and wacky parodies on what was going on in current events. I basically grew up on Mad Magazine, Penthouse, and Playboy.

Nitro Express
12-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Monty Python, Cheech and Chong, Richard Prior, and George Carlin seemed to be the staples with some Bill Cosby thrown in for stuff the whole family could laugh to.

Nitro Express
12-01-2010, 05:11 PM
:umm: How old are you fuckers anyway?

j/k

Old enough to watch Laugh In on prime time knowing there was something I wanted to do to Goldie Hawn but not knowing exactly what that was. Old enough to remember The Mod Squad and Mission Impossible coming on TV and not everyone having a color television because they were still expensive. You could buy a Volkswagen Beetle or a large Zenith TV for about the same price.

Nitro Express
12-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Old enough to remember all the shows on TV weren't in color. Even at a young tender age I wanted to be naked in that water tower with those Petty Coat Junction girls.

Kristy
12-01-2010, 05:34 PM
I dunno know if this will really 'change' many 'games.' But it is cool as fuck!

And for around 30 grand you can get yourself one, too.

Nickdfresh
12-01-2010, 05:54 PM

It would be very useful in rush hour traffic...

sadaist
12-02-2010, 02:04 AM

When I was little, we used to stay in a condo in Mammoth, CA during Christmas break. Usually snowed in for most of that time. So we knew to pack in our supplies. Mad Magazine & a giant bag of Apple Jolly Ranchers. Hours of fun for a kid.

Little Texan
12-02-2010, 02:30 AM
Monty Python, Cheech and Chong, Richard Prior, and George Carlin seemed to be the staples with some Bill Cosby thrown in for stuff the whole family could laugh to.

Bill Cosby was a riot back in his day. If you ever get the chance, check out "Bill Cosby: Himself". That is the Coz at his hilarious best!

Seshmeister
12-02-2010, 07:28 AM

Indeed. How long before they are being used by the other side?

H&K -> Saudi Arabia -> Afghanistan

Seshmeister
12-02-2010, 07:40 AM
Of course rather than doing this for the same money you could save 25 000 Americans by fitting them with pacemakers.

Nickdfresh
12-02-2010, 08:14 AM

Hopefully that will take a while, but I'm certain the Chinese and Russians are working on something similar. I see this weapon as pretty much a modern version of the former Soviet RPG7, giving infantry quite a bit more 'organic' (or light) firepower. But there is no magic bullet--or magic grenade--that will turn the tide of a guerrilla war if you don't win the 'hearts and minds.' ..

Hardrock69
12-02-2010, 09:08 AM
I was unaware that any part of Wizard of Oz was shot in color until about 1971 or 1972.

This is a great description of how the world used to actually be black and white:

http://i52.tinypic.com/1zzhoxx.gif

Kristy
12-02-2010, 10:59 AM

Not long. This is America and where there is a will to make a dollar there is way. My first bet is they'll turn up in Israel first, then NATO forces, then Saudi, Egypt, Yemen, Pakistan...you know, because they are our allies.

indeedido
12-02-2010, 11:01 AM

Don't forget about Benny Hill

Nitro Express
12-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Bill Cosby was a riot back in his day. If you ever get the chance, check out "Bill Cosby: Himself". That is the Coz at his hilarious best!

Cosby was funny and check him out behind Sammy Davis Jr. at the Playboy Mansion. Sammy asks Coz to put out his cigar and then lights up a cigarette. LOL! We need to bring smoking back. It covered up the other nasty smells and people are outliving their money anyways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAZUCCDjwCo

Nitro Express
12-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Don't forget about Benny Hill

I'm a huge Benny Hill fan and have a lot of his shows on DVD. We didn't have him in the states when I was a kid.

indeedido
12-02-2010, 11:32 AM
I used to watch Benny Hill on PBS of all places as a kid. Not something they would air now!

Nitro Express
12-02-2010, 11:38 AM
I used to watch Benny Hill on PBS of all places as a kid. Not something they would air now!

My cousin showed me Benny Hill in the late 70's. The local TV affiliate had those shows late at night. All the kids watched it because of the hot girls and racy content. I loved it!

Hardrock69
12-02-2010, 02:35 PM
One thing I loved about British comedy.....especially as shown on PBS in the 70s.....sometimes you could see BOOBIES! :hee:

PETE'S BROTHER
12-02-2010, 02:41 PM
One thing I loved about British comedy.....especially as shown on PBS in the 70s.....sometimes you could see BOOBIES! :hee:

not that python and hill were not funny, but the laughs were simply in between waitin' to see more BOOBIES!!