Time For The Annual Rubbish Awar....I mean GRAMMY awards.....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

Time For The Annual Rubbish Awar....I mean GRAMMY awards.....

The usual bullshit that means nothing.

Though I have to crack up. One song nominated for both Song Of The Year AND Record Of The Year is titled "Fuck You".

Ok...the only few and far-between bright spots in a sea of SHIT:

1. Jeff Beck & Stanley Clarke nominated for Best Pop Instrumental Performance:

Nessun Dorma
    Jeff Beck
    Track from: Emotion & Commotion
    [Rhino]

No Mystery
    Stanley Clarke
    Track from: The Stanley Clarke Band
    [Heads Up International]

2. A nomination for The Doors Robby Krieger in the category Best Pop Instrumental Album

Singularity
    Robby Krieger
    [Oglio Records]

3. Robert Plant, Paul McCartney and Neil Young nominated for best Rock Vocal Performance. Oh and Eric Clapton. The Classic Gods deserve SOME recognition, though Clapton has been a lame-ass songwriter since the early 70s.

4. Jeff Beck nominated for Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals

I Put A Spell On You
    Jeff Beck & Joss Stone
    [Rhino/ATCO]

5. Tossup on Best Hard Rock Performance. Any of them can win and I will think it cool, but then, I do not give a fuck if Ozzy wins anything ever again, and as for former Led Zep players, Robert Plant has already got his....time for Jonesy to win one:

For solo, duo, group or collaborative performances, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.
    A Looking In View
    Alice In Chains
    [Virgin Records]

Let Me Hear You Scream
    Ozzy Osbourne
    Track from: Scream
    [Epic]

Black Rain
    Soundgarden
    Track from: Telephantasm
    [A&M/UMe]

Between The Lines
    Stone Temple Pilots
    Track from: Stone Temple Pilots
    [Atlantic]

New Fang
    Them Crooked Vultures
    Track from: Them Crooked Vultures
    [DGC/Interscope]

6. Best Metal Performance.....At least this category exists. Lamb Of God and Megadeth are worthy to be nominated, but Korn? Christ...what a load of shit.

However, this year, I am happy to report Iron Maiden got nominated for the track "El Dorado", and also Slayer's track "World Painted Blood".

By the way, I went and saw the satellite broadcast of the Big 4 back in June. Kickass broadcast. Within a few days I found it on the net in HD. Out of the 4 bands, Slayer kicked the fuck out of the other three. And even though I usually do not listen to them, and do not own any of their albums, I have seen them live twice, and their ferocious intensity in a live setting coupled with their absolute tightness and incredible skinwork of Dave Lombardo blew me away each time.

So since the Big 4 broadcast, I have watched the Slayer set many times, and the track "World Painted Blood" got stuck in my head in replay mode, much as any mindless pop single is supposed to. And, I have gained an intense appreciation for their entire body of work as a whole. They surely deserve the success they have.

So I would love it if they won a Grammy for that track. It is everything a kickass Metal song should be.

7. Best Rock Instrumental Performance.....El Becko got nomination #3. Don't care about any other nominee in that category:

Hammerhead
    Jeff Beck
    [Rhino]

8. El Becko gets nomination #4 for Best Rock album.

Emotion & Commotion
    Jeff Beck
    [Rhino/ATCO]

Also nominated is Neil Young's latest album "Le Noise", which has gained him one or two other nominations this year. Not a huge fan of his, but I saw the album cover recently, and as a piece of art photography it is one of the most kickass album cover images I have seen in years:

9. Now...in the "HOW FUCKING COOL IS THIS?" category....at age 97, Pinetop Perkins was nominated for Best Traditional Blues album for his latest release "Joined At The Hip" recorded with Willie 'Big Eyes' Smith. This motherfucker was born in 1913, and along with Honeyboy Edwards, he is one of the oldest of the original bluesmen not only to still be recording and playing live shows, but both of them are STILL ALIVE. Honeyboy is now 95 and got a Lifetime Achievement Grammy last year. He is also the last and only living person to have played with Robert Johnson.

Those motherfuckers got they mojo workin! I and my best friend attended the King Biscuit Blues Festival in Helena, Arkansas in October of 2005 and got to see Pinetop Perkins play.

Kudos to them!

10. Buddy Guy got another nomination in the Best Contemporary Blues Album category. So did Solomon Burke, who might get the win because he decided to make that final career move this year.....he DIED.

11. Lastly on the Jeff Beck front, Steve Lipson got nominated for Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical for Jeffy's album Emotion and Commotion.

As they say, you have to sort through a lot of shit to find the shinola, and there is a LOT of utter crap nominated this year (as there is every year).

The above are just the things I find interesting in this years nominations. Don't care about the rest for one reason or another, mainly because I just don't give a FUCK (as Tupac once said).
    Last edited by Hardrock69; 12-02-2010, 02:04 PM.
  • sonrisa salvaje
    Veteran
    • Jun 2005

02-Dec-10Iron Maiden, Slayer, Megadeth And Ozzy Are Among Grammy Awards Nominees
    Submitted by: Dana

Iron Maiden, Slayer, Megadeth, Ozzy Osbourne and Alice In Chains are among the nominees for the 53rd annual Grammy Awards, which will be held on Sunday, February 13th, 2011 at Staples Center in Los Angeles.

The nominees in the "Hard Rock" and "Metal" categories are as follows:

Best Hard Rock Performance:

* Alice In Chains - "A Looking In View" (from "Black Gives Way to Blue")
    * Ozzy Osbourne - "Let Me Hear You Scream" (from "Scream")
    * Soundgarden - "Black Rain" (from "Telephantasm")
    * Stone Temple Pilots - "Between The Lines" (from "Stone Temple Pilots")
    * Them Crooked Vultures - "New Fang" (from "Them Crooked Vultures")

Best Metal Performance:

* Iron Maiden - "El Dorado" (from "The Final Frontier")
    * Korn - "Let The Guilt Go" (from "Korn III: Remember Who You Are")
    * Lamb Of God - "In Your Words" (from "Wrath")
    * Megadeth- "Sudden Death" (from "Guitar Hero: Warriors Of Rock")
    * Slayer - "World Painted Blood" (from "World Painted Blood")

Material released between September 1st, 2009 and September 30th, 2010 (a 13-month period) is eligible for the 2011 Grammys.

The 53rd annual Grammy Awards will be broadcast live in high definition TV and 5.1 Surround Sound on CBS from 8:00 p.m. EST.

The nominees were announced Wednesday, December 1st during the "The Grammy Nominations Concert Live!! — Countdown To Music Biggest Night." The announcement special was hosted by rap legend LL Cool J, a two-time Grammy award winner who is also producer of the Grammy nominations concert.
    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
      Veteran
      • Jun 2005

I wonder why America's darlings Chickenfoot didn't get nominated for anything?
      RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
      LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69

The above are just the things I find interesting in this years nominations. Don't care about the rest for one reason or another, mainly because I just don't give a FUCK (as Tupac once said).
        I thought that was Eminem

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Jan 2004

Robbie Krieger on Oglio records, home of Jackie the Jokeman

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2004

shouldn't he name his album Do it Robbie Do it?

Comment

• ace diamond
              Full Member Status

• Sep 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
              The usual bullshit that means nothing.

Though I have to crack up. One song nominated for both Song Of The Year AND Record Of The Year is titled "Fuck You".
              thanks, i needed a good laugh!
              this shit is fucking priceless!
              Originally posted by hideyoursheep
              When Hagar speaks, I want to cut off my ears and send them to Bristol Palin.
              "It's like trying to fit a mouse fart into a sardine can with a shoe horn"-Ace Diamond

Comment

• ace diamond
                Full Member Status

• Sep 2004

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje
                I wonder why America's darlings Chickenfoot didn't get nominated for anything?
                did you really have to bring that shit up?
                Originally posted by hideyoursheep
                When Hagar speaks, I want to cut off my ears and send them to Bristol Palin.
                "It's like trying to fit a mouse fart into a sardine can with a shoe horn"-Ace Diamond

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2004

I thought chicken foot broke up.

just a couple toes left.

Chad smith's leavin' to go do Will Ferrell movies.

Comment

Working...