PDA

View Full Version : "Barney Miller" Actor Steve Landesberg (Det. Arthur Dietrich) Dies At 65

chefcraig
12-20-2010, 08:54 PM
This guy was one of my heroes growing up. Rest in peace, Dietrich...

"Barney Miller" actor Steve Landesberg dead at 65

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - (http://ca.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idCATRE6BK06920101221) Actor Steve Landesberg, a former stand-up comedian who starred for years on the hit television sitcom "Barney Miller," has died at age 65, his agent said on Monday.

"It is with great sadness to report the loss of my friend and client Steve Landesberg," Jeffrey Leavitt of Leavitt Talent Group said in a statement.

No further details were given. Celebrity website TMZ.com said the actor died Monday morning after battling cancer.

Born November 23, 1945 in New York City, Landesberg began his career as a stand-up comedian and was a contemporary of top 1970s draws such as Freddie Prinze and Jimmy Walker.

He landed the role of Det. Arthur Dietrich on "Barney Miller" in 1975, and stayed with the show about New York cops until it ended in 1982.

Landesberg went on to work in a variety of TV and movie roles, including the series "Cosby" and "The Ghost Whisperer," and the hit 2008 movie "Forgetting Sarah Marshall."

"Working with Steve was an honor both personally and professionally. My heart goes out to his family. He will be missed," Leavitt said.

Blaze
12-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Dang, that is sad. I loved that show! I bet that show helped foster my interest in criminology. I can almost hear the theme song.
I recognize the face, but do not remember the character. Maybe, i'll order the series on DVD.
RIP

SilvioDante
12-20-2010, 09:18 PM
I can almost hear the theme song.

One of the first bass lines I learned. That and "Night Court".

Definitely remember his character. Probably my favorite on the show.

RIP

PETE'S BROTHER
12-21-2010, 11:20 AM
dammit, we're all gettin' old :(

RIP

FORD
12-21-2010, 03:05 PM
Damn that sucks. I've actually watched a few Barney Miller reruns lately on a TV channel out of Bellingham that thinks its Canadian. Ironically enough, one of the last ones I saw was the episode they aired after Jack Soo's death. Hopefully he's not making the coffee up in Heaven.

Oddly enough, Abe Vigoda is still alive (as far as I know). He looked like he was 80 years old in the 70's.