PDA

View Full Version : all right, what's up with these birds?

PETE'S BROTHER
01-04-2011, 10:05 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110104/ap_on_fe_st/us_odd_dead_birds

South.

First, New Year's Eve fireworks were blamed in central Arkansas for making thousands of blackbirds confused, crashing into homes, cars and each other. Then 300 miles to the south in Louisiana, power lines likely killed about 450 birds, littering a highway near Baton Rouge.

It's almost certainly a coincidence the events happened within days of each other, Louisiana's state wildlife veterinarian Jim LaCour said Tuesday. "I haven't found anything to link the two at this point."

Mass bird deaths aren't uncommon. The U.S. Geological Service's website listed about 90 mass deaths of birds and other wildlife from June through Dec. 12. There were five deaths of at least 1,000 birds, with the largest near Houston, Minn., where parasite infestations killed about 4,000 water birds between Sept. 6 and Nov. 26.

In Louisiana, the birds died sometime late Sunday or early Monday in the rural Pointe Coupee Parish community of Labarre, about 30 miles northwest of Baton Rouge. The birds — a mixed flock of red-winged blackbirds, brown-headed cowbirds, grackles and starlings — may have hit a power line or vehicles in the dark, LaCour said. Two dozen of them had head, neck, beak or back injuries.

About 50 dead birds were near a power line 30 or 40 feet from Louisiana Highway 1. About a quarter-mile away, a second group of 400 or more stretched from the power line and across the highway, he said.

Dan Cristol, a biology professor and co-founder of the Institute for Integrative Bird Behavior Studies at the College of William & Mary, said the Louisiana birds may have been ill or startled from their roost, then hit the power line.

"They don't hit a power line for no reason," he said.

elvis? you fuckin' around down there

fryingdutchman
01-05-2011, 06:25 AM
No biggie...

Probably just an Al Qaeda sponsored chemical/biological attack. When the humans start dropping or there are unexplained "cancer clusters", maybe there will be a better explanation.

*end of conspiracy theorist rant*

:biggrin:

Seshmeister
01-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Surely it's some sort of government death ray...

Jagermeister
01-05-2011, 11:08 AM
They got confused in a storm. I guess black birds don't fly at night and when they do bad things happen.

Really that is what they think happened. No big deal as they are nasty fuckin birds anyway.

PETE'S BROTHER
01-05-2011, 11:18 AM
what if they were white birds, jagy?

Jagermeister
01-05-2011, 11:21 AM
what if they were white birds, jagy?

I don't judge birds by the color of there feathers. :biggrin:

PETE'S BROTHER
01-05-2011, 11:25 AM
I don't judge anything by the color of there feathers. :biggrin:

i'm proud of you, enlightened one...

Jagermeister
01-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Hey!!!

FORD
01-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Despite what Paul McCartney wrote on the White Album, blackbirds aren't usually singing, or flying "in the dead of night", so odds are their night vision isn't too great. The whole flock flying into a power line seems a bit ridiculous though.

Why does this remind me of the short lived TV series "Flash Forward" for some reason?

PETE'S BROTHER
01-05-2011, 01:07 PM
and, or...<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fjj32CavzU0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fjj32CavzU0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

lesfunk
01-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Blackbirds often dont get up till noon anyway. maybe they were sleeping

Blaze
01-05-2011, 09:50 PM
http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/nws/p/livesci_logo_73.jpg

Benjamin Radford
LiveScience's Bad Science Columnist
LiveScience.com – 1 hr 12 mins ago

The recent, mysterious deaths of thousands of blackbirds in Arkansas and Louisiana around New Year's Eve has made news around the world and defied a conclusive answer. The best explanation so far is that fireworks may have scared or disoriented the birds, causing them to fatally injure themselves flying into buildings, water towers and trees.

As bizarre and unexplained as these events may seem, they are only the latest of many mysterious animals deaths over the years. Here are a few cases:

Frog Rains
Charles Fort, an early collector of reports about strange and curious phenomena, noted the following in his tome "The Book of the Damned," first published in 1919: "A shower of frogs which darkened the air and covered the ground for a long distance is the reported result of a recent rainstorm at Kansas City, Mo." This report first appeared in the July 12, 1873 issue of "Scientific American." Fort noted dozens of other, similar reports from around the world, including England, France, Germany and Tahiti. Scientists think that strong winds could, under the right circumstances, lift and carry small, light animals (including small frogs and fish) short distances, for example from a pond to a nearby street.

Fishy Storm
According to a report in the Los Angeles Times (cited in "The World's Most Incredible Stories: The Best of Fortean Times," 1992, Barnes & Noble Books), on Dec. 19, 1984, drivers on L.A.'s Santa Monica Freeway found themselves driving over fish and crabs during a storm. Most of the animals seemed to be alive (at least temporarily), and some speculated that the animals might have somehow fallen out of the sky with the rain. The California Highway Patrol, however, suggested the animals had simply fallen off a delivery truck on the way to a restaurant, though there were no reports of accidents in the area.

Suicidal Geese?
In August 2005, two flocks of geese were discovered dead on a farm in Manitoba, Canada. More than 200 of the lifeless birds were littered across a field. Strangely, there were no external injuries: No gunshot wounds or any other apparent reason they would have fallen out of the moonless night sky. Officials suspected that someone (or something) had poisoned the geese, but the case took a bizarre twist when toxicology tests came back negative. In fact, the injuries were consistent with a mass suicide; the birds seemingly flew directly into the ground. Canadian wildlife officials were puzzled, but a study finally concluded that the geese had become disoriented in the darkness, lost sight of the horizon, and accidentally smashed into the ground. (Similar pilot error has killed many animals and people, including John F. Kennedy, Jr.)

Exploding Toads
In 2005, Germany experienced one of the strangest animal deaths on record. Over 1,000 toads simply exploded for no apparent reason, splattering their gory intestines everywhere. According to a report from "The Independent" (U.K.), "The tabloid press went into overdrive, dubbing the carnage site in Hamburg's Altona district the 'Pond of Death' and warning children and dogs to stay away. Theories ran wild that toads were committing suicide or were croaking because of a virus spread by South American race horses." A zoologist autopsied the toads and discovered that they had been attacked by birds, and their livers eaten. The toad's natural body defenses caused them to puff up - and with their livers missing, gruesomely explode.

Horses and Mules
Nearly two dozen horses and mules were found mysteriously killed in rural El Paso County, Colo., in October 2005. Twenty-three animals were discovered dead in two separate incidents over the course of about three weeks. Most of the beasts were thought to have been shot to death, because some were found with what appeared to be bullet wounds in their necks and hides. Yet further investigation revealed that the injuries (at about an inch deep) were too shallow to have killed the animals. No other obvious injuries or marks were found on the horses and mules, and some suspected they might instead have been poisoned for some reason. Finally investigators concluded that most of the animals, if not all of them, had been struck by lightning.

PETE'S BROTHER
01-05-2011, 10:04 PM
fuckin' chupacabras

Blaze
01-05-2011, 10:19 PM
What kind of bras? :biggrin:

BITEYOASS
01-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Well some more realistic reasons would be poisoning from all of the dispersants used on the gulf oil spill or the toxic chemicals used in fracking the nearby gas wells.

Nitro Express
01-06-2011, 01:14 AM
A whole bison herd died in Yellowstone National Park and they couldn't figure out what happened until they did some autopsies. They were poisoned. What happened is the hot springs in the area vent various toxic gases and there was a temperature inversion and it killed the bison.

I doubt it was fireworks unless a lot of mortar shells were gong off at the same time inside a concentrated flock of birds.

Nitro Express
01-06-2011, 01:15 AM
Well some more realistic reasons would be poisoning from all of the dispersants used on the gulf oil spill or the toxic chemicals used in fracking the nearby gas wells.

That's what I'm thinking and with the cold weather, you get concentrations of those gases under the inversions. Just like my bison story.

Nitro Express
01-06-2011, 01:20 AM
fuckin' chupacabras

I blame big foot. He farted and killed those birds.

PETE'S BROTHER
01-06-2011, 09:11 AM

big fart :hee:

PETE'S BROTHER
01-06-2011, 12:00 PM
BEEBE, Ark. -- Preliminary lab results show the blackbirds that fell from the sky in central Arkansas died from blunt force trauma.
That supports the theory that fireworks on New Year's Eve spooked the birds and sent them flying into cars, houses and each other and plummeting to their deaths.
The Wildlife Health Center in Madison, Wis., released the results Wednesday.
Arkansas' Game and Fish Commission said the birds didn't test positive for any pesticides. Officials are still awaiting lab results from tests for other toxins and infectious diseases.
In all, up to 5,000 birds rained onto rooftops and into fields in the central Arkansas town of Beebe.
One struck a woman walking her dog and another hit a police cruiser.

FORD
01-06-2011, 01:47 PM

Why the Hell would Bigfoot be in Arkansas? Everyone knows he lives in the Cascade Mountains of the Pacific Northwest.

PETE'S BROTHER
01-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Why the Hell would Bigfoot be in Arkansas? Everyone knows he lives in the Cascade Mountains of the Pacific Northwest.

the recession forced him to relocate in order to find bird killing work

FORD
01-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Map of recent mass critter deaths worldwide (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=201817256339889828327.0004991bca25af104a22b&ll=28.921631,5.273438&spn=141.542315,12.304687&z=2&iwloc=0004991c2e41cf55affcb) :(

PETE'S BROTHER
01-07-2011, 01:31 PM
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/international/general/view.bg?articleid=1307942&srvc=rss

love the title....

Aflockalypse? Mass bird, fish deaths occur regularly

Nitro Express
01-07-2011, 03:02 PM

He goes south for the winter.

PETE'S BROTHER
01-07-2011, 03:11 PM
fuckin' snowbird yettis

Nitro Express
01-07-2011, 03:24 PM
I want some fireworks that can kill birds and fish across two states when they go off. Shit. Where do you buy those mortar shells?

FORD
01-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Maybe Bigfoot carried the fireworks in with him? The biggest contraband fireworks stash in this state is in an old railroad car about 15 miles south of Olympia. Including the stuff that the cops confiscate. Not sure how Sasquatch would have found out about that, since its nowhere near the mountains, but he's a tricky son of a bitch.

Diamondjimi
01-07-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm gonna go with the secret Govt. Death Ray theory... :biggrin:

Nitro Express
01-09-2011, 12:59 AM
I'm gonna go with the secret Govt. Death Ray theory... :biggrin:

HAARP seems to be the culpret for everything these days. It used to be Satan or the Devil was to blame but now it's the government and it's evil HAARP program.

Seshmeister
01-10-2011, 09:28 AM
The latest theory seems to be it was a revenge attack on the birds by angry pigs.

[/iPhone app joke]

Nitro Express
01-10-2011, 05:05 PM
What's up with the birds? I have no idea. I've been trying to figure them out for years and for the life of me, I just don't understand women. It depresses me and I have to drown it out with some New Castle Brown Ale, smoke a fag, and eat some bangers and mash to cope.

Little Texan
01-10-2011, 05:10 PM
The latest theory seems to be it was a revenge attack on the birds by angry pigs.

[/iPhone app joke]

That game is oddly VERY addictive! I played it on my brother's Ipod Touch for over an hour.

sadaist
01-10-2011, 05:46 PM

That's always been one of my dream trips for a week vacation. Take the tents, camping gear, flashlights, etc...and go up to No CA bigfoot territory & search for the week. Obviously finding time to fish, drink beer, sleep in, campfire, BBQ and listen to tunes while on the hunt.

Worst case - you fish in the wilderness & catch lots of trout.

Best case - you fish in the wilderness & catch lots of trout.

PETE'S BROTHER
01-10-2011, 07:13 PM
That's always been one of my dream trips for a week vacation. Take the tents, camping gear, flashlights, etc...and go up to No CA bigfoot territory & search for the week. Obviously finding time to fish, drink beer, sleep in, campfire, BBQ and listen to tunes while on the hunt.

Worst case - you fish in the wilderness & catch lots of trout and manage not to get killed by weed growers...
Best case - you fish in the wilderness & catch lots of trout.

:biggrin:

PETE'S BROTHER
01-12-2011, 02:10 PM
now it is spreading to a chirpoclypse

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110112/ap_on_re_us/us_food_and_farm_cricket_crisis

Cricket farms started in the 1940s as a source of fish bait, but the bulk of sales now are to pet supply companies, reptile owners and zoos, although people also eat some. Most U.S. farms are in the South, but suppliers from Pennsylvania to California also raise crickets.
The virus had swept through European cricket farms in 2002. It was first noticed in 2009 in the U.S. and Canada in the only commonly sold cricket species — the house cricket Acheta domesticus.

chef, you ever served "cricket"? on purpose...

Little Texan
01-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Cricket farms started in the 1940s as a source of fish bait, but the bulk of sales now are to pet supply companies, reptile owners and zoos, although people also eat some.

It's the reptilian folks that eat the crickets, such as this lady...

http://www.accesshollywood.com/content/images/83/230x306/83000_cindy-mccain-on-stage-during-john-mccains-election-night-concession-speech-in-arizona.jpg

PETE'S BROTHER
01-12-2011, 02:24 PM
and that larg girl finalist:barf: